[Speculation] Contract Value for Canucks free agents 2025

Hoglander at that price is great if he continues to cement as being a 20 goal guy. He's young and only getting better, we need those types of player/contracts. 

Boeser I would be nervous to trade for 2 reasons. 1 - his team clearly love the guy. Seems like a popular locker room presence and in general a really good guy. 2 - we don't have a lot of top 6 wingers. 

I think you let the season play out with Boeser and start negotiating around christmas to get an idea of where his side is at. I have a feeling the price won't be coming in at 8.6, but I also don't expect him to be a 40 goal guy regularly. 

Suter is great, but just can't afford him at that price.

On 7/10/2024 at 10:02 PM, Dizzle said:

I’d go 8 with Boeser. 8x6.5 would be the equivalent to a 7x7.43. Good chance they’d have to go a bit higher but that 8th year definitely lowers the AAV. My guess is 8x7 would be the number. 

Something like this for our longest tenured player.

Need to keep his AAV at 8 or lower but I don’t think anyone would be upset seeing him retire a Canuck. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Also: Suter is sneaky valuable to the club.

I can see them trying to upgrade the bottom 6 C position - or at least find a righty - but if he can sign in the mid/high 2s I wouldn’t be surprised if management brought him back if he does what he did last year. Him and Bleuger as cheap, solid Cs in the bottom 6 opens up a ton of flexibility. 

20 minutes ago, Devron said:

The only way a Brock trade works is if it doesn’t hurt their playoff chances. Therefore I believe it’s either he re signs or walks. We need him for the playoffs 

Yeah Dev. I get where you're coming from and agree somewhat. It really depends on their strategy moving forward. I wonder though if he/team has a bad start though maybe it makes it easier to trade him for a better fit moving forward. It would be a difficult trade as it would have to come with an extension for the other team. Otherwise, some assets or an affordable young player could really set us up to transition to the next phase/Hughes and Demko contracts/OEL hit.

I agree though in principal. If the team is doing well and Boeser is playing like last year it would be very hard to just trade him for less than an upgrade. Maybe then as you say let it play out and then make a solid attempt to re-sign before free agency, or let his contract expire and gain the cap space. 

It's a real tricky couple years here for management and really the major decisions are coming up quickly. Good teams need to make use of their assets and part of me hopes they are going to be smart/courageous about the future and are not just going all in every year either.

Hope your summer is going well brother!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah Dev. I get where you're coming from and agree somewhat. It really depends on their strategy moving forward. I wonder though if he/team has a bad start though maybe it makes it easier to trade him for a better fit moving forward. It would be a difficult trade as it would have to come with an extension for the other team. Otherwise, some assets or an affordable young player could really set us up to transition to the next phase/Hughes and Demko contracts/OEL hit.

I agree though in principal. If the team is doing well and Boeser is playing like last year it would be very hard to just trade him for less than an upgrade. Maybe then as you say let it play out and then make a solid attempt to re-sign before free agency, or let his contract expire and gain the cap space. 

It's a real tricky couple years here for management and really the major decisions are coming up quickly. Good teams need to make use of their assets and part of me hopes they are going to be smart/courageous about the future and are not just going all in every year either.

Hope your summer is going well brother!

Good points. It’s not all cut and dry, I guess that’s how I see it playing out though. Would love to see Brock a forever Canuck. Maybe score the Stanley cup winner 🙂 

going pretty good man. Thanks for asking! 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

If Boeser has 30 goal season sign him for 7x7 if possible.

If Boeser has another 40 goal season sign him for 7.5X8 

If Boeser has a 50 goal season sign him for 8x8

I think if Boeser actually achieves those target goals, the proposed salaries are a bit low.

Maybe…

30 goals - $7M

40 goals - $8M

50 goals - $9M

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 7/12/2024 at 12:55 PM, CanuckMan said:

If Boeser has 30 goal season sign him for 7x7 if possible.

If Boeser has another 40 goal season sign him for 7.5X8 

If Boeser has a 50 goal season sign him for 8x8

In other words, keep Brock in a Canucks uniform. Make this man a Canuck for life. 

Around this time in the Oilers life cycle they signed nugent Hopkins to a below market longer term deal.  That's kind of what we need out of a guy like Boeser.  He's not going to drive alot of play on his own but he's a great connector player who plays well with skill guys and is above average putting the puck in the net.  Ideally pay him what he's being paid now.

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Around this time in the Oilers life cycle they signed nugent Hopkins to a below market longer term deal.  That's kind of what we need out of a guy like Boeser.  He's not going to drive alot of play on his own but he's a great connector player who plays well with skill guys and is above average putting the puck in the net.  Ideally pay him what he's being paid now.

RNH gave Edmonton a pretty good sweetheart deal, but he was also coming off a 55 point pace season and signed during the flat cap. It would be a little bit more like if we signed Boeser last summer. An equivalent contract for a higher producing Boeser 4 years later is probably still around $7M.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

RNH gave Edmonton a pretty good sweetheart deal, but he was also coming off a 55 point pace season and signed during the flat cap. It would be a little bit more like if we signed Boeser last summer. An equivalent contract for a higher producing Boeser 4 years later is probably still around $7M.

If the belief is Boeser is part of the core, then it’s best to lock him up this summer.   Last season he got 81gp 40g 33a 73pts.  However, his career stats show he was a 45-55pt player.  Mostly due to injury and family problems.  If we believe Boeser has turned the corner and is a 70pt player, then $7-$7.5M x 8yr is more than fair. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

If the belief is Boeser is part of the core, then it’s best to lock him up this summer.   Last season he got 81gp 40g 33a 73pts.  However, his career stats show he was a 45-55pt player.  Mostly due to injury and family problems.  If we believe Boeser has turned the corner and is a 70pt player, then $7-$7.5M x 8yr is more than fair. 

There is only one season he's been below 55 points. The 19-20 and 20-21 seasons were both Covid shortened, not injury related, and we was on pace for well over 55 points (he led the team in scoring in 2021). Even with his injuries he's really been more of a consistent 55-60 point player. I actually expect him to be more of a 30 goal, 65 point player than the 40 goal player he was this season though and think he will probably be closer to that this coming year. Regardless, in the current market a $7M deal would still be giving the team a discount.