Why do we not invest more on Wolanin ?

DexM94

From all the offseason signings, i would have pick up one of the two Forbort/Desharnais, but not both. 

we have Wolanin/Juulsen in the system (or even already in the roster)

I like a little more the Deharnais' signing, so i would rather try Wolanin than Forbort. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rounoush said:

Wolanin does well for himself in the AHL but I just don't think he can hack it in the NHL.

A very common tale.

We've had our fair share of players like this too (Gaudette, Vey etc.).

Forbort is an excellent penalty killer and fits our structure better. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DexM94 said:

From all the offseason signings, i would have pick up one of the two Forbort/Desharnais, but not both. 

I like a little more the Deharnais' signing, so i would rather try Wolanin than Forbort. 

I agree with you. He had a breakout year in 22-23 but he was unlucky with injuries this past season. Whenever we needed a call-up for a LHD he wasn't available. Also it was unfortunate for him our LHD was stacked when we traded for Zadorov. I don't think Wolanin PKs (someone correct me if I'm wrong) which is a problem on a team that already has Hughes not PKing.

• Upvote 1

I like him but I guess the pros seem to know when they have someone who is a beast in the AHL and it doesn't really translate (e.g. Nolan Baumgartner, Jason Krog, Bruce Boudreau, Dave Tomlinson, etc.).

I'd give him a shot but I guess JR/PA/RT don't think it's a high return investment.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, iinatcc said:

very Gaudette like 

Quess who led the AHL in goals this past season?  Adam Gaudette.  Guy had skills but just didn't have the talent/ability to take it to the next step.  Was worth the gamble (5th round pick) at the time.  I'd say Walanin is more Gaudette-lite rather than Gaudette-like.  But that's just my opinion.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

We're likely still on the hunt for another Dman but ...

Wolanin's not as bad as people say. He's had some bad luck. 

Imo, he's needed another opportunity, which it looked like he was going to get a couple years ago. He actually looked decent when called upon, but the team is much better and it's much harder now to crack the big club.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 7/12/2024 at 8:04 AM, Reznor said:

Honestly, I would rather see him at least given another shot. Perhaps interchange with Forbort depending on whether we need offense or towering size.

I agree. No love for our top D in Abby? He evan lost his spot on the Prospects topic...

On 7/11/2024 at 3:19 AM, DexM94 said:

Because he's a bum!

On 7/11/2024 at 11:24 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

I like him but I guess the pros seem to know when they have someone who is a beast in the AHL and it doesn't really translate (e.g. Nolan Baumgartner, Jason Krog, Bruce Boudreau, Dave Tomlinson, etc.).

I'd give him a shot but I guess JR/PA/RT don't think it's a high return investment.

Not only those 3,

I would think that Foote and Gonchar  etc have watched the farm and have a huge say with their knowledge, as well as the Abby Canucks coaches, and what I like about this new management is that they communicate and rely on each other, they will have people below each of them reporting, and then they will observe more closely for themselves and then report progress and recommendations to the 3 at the top to promote or use as trade bait etc. My take is that they agree on better options than Wolanin

Edited by Ballisticsports

This team for years has had a horrible track record of obtaining mid twenties players that are decent enough to be tweeners and then not utilize them at all. He was good enough for us in the NHL with a poor squad, and then never used again. He plays great in the A and we squandered his talent like so many other offensive dmen that we get and just never try to develop.

It honestly pains me that this team never invests in their defensemen. Only weak forwards ever get called up. This year especially we will have horrible puck movement from the back end, yet he will not be given a shot due to age just like the rest of guys that have passed through this system. Give these guys NHL games so they know what they need to work on at least. 

This is a bit of a strange gripe.  Wolanin is only 3 years younger than Forbort, and Forbort is on such a cheap/short contract it doesn’t matter if he’s in the lineup or just depth himself.

I like Wolanin, too.  Him and even Brisebois are useful enough depth - and could present options if the puck moving of the bottom pair becomes an issue.  

But Forbort - a passable 5 on 5 defenceman who’s an ace PK guy and fits the body type and style we want to play - for 1.5 x 1 - is an easy decision. 

Desharnais is the more interesting signing IMO - if I were Juulsen I’d have a bee in my bonnet about that one.  Will be fun to see those two hash it out for the #6 spot on the blue line.  And they brought Friedman back because he’s a great practice player / team guy.  You know that 3rd RD spot is going to be fun to watch in camp. 

Our “upside” bets at this point seem to be Willander, D-Petey and maybe McWard.  Guys like Wolanin are useful but they aren’t part of the long term plans (at the NHL level) unless something crazy happens.  Still important to the org. though since Forbort and Soucy aren’t the most durable.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

He looked quite good a couple years ago, but he took a notable step back in 2023-24 unfortunately. Any chance he had to be an NHL regular was probably lost by that, I think.

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He looked quite good a couple years ago, but he took a notable step back in 2023-24 unfortunately. Any chance he had to be an NHL regular was probably lost by that, I think.

This. He was amazing in 2022-23, but last season looked just okay. Injury issues definitely didn’t help with that either. What you see with Wolanin is what you get: someone who is good in the AHL, but not quite NHL caliber. Reminds me a bit of Jesse Schultz from back in the day.