(Signing) Blues sign Suter 1 Year - 3M

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2938273

The St. Louis Blues signed free-agent defenseman Ryan Suter to a one-year pact, the team announced Wednesday.

The contract includes a base salary of $775,000, but Suter can earn an additional $2.225 million in performance bonuses.

Suter will receive paychecks from three of the Central Division's eight teams this coming season. The Dallas Stars bought out the final year of his contract earlier this offseason, and he'll remain on the Minnesota Wild's books for four more seasons from the 2021 buyout. He's the second player in NHL history to be bought out twice.

The 39-year-old recorded two goals and 15 assists in 82 games while averaging 18:56 of ice time in 2023-24. He added four points in 19 postseason appearances.

His best ability at this point in his career is arguably his availability. Suter has played 453 straight contests - the second-longest ironman streak among active players - and hasn't missed more than five games in a single campaign since 2010-11.

While the offense has mostly deteriorated, Suter still managed to post strong defensive metrics in primarily a third-pairing role with the Stars last season.

Suter will bring more experience to an already grizzled blue line in St. Louis. Top-four stalwarts Colton Parayko, Nick Leddy, Justin Faulk, and Torey Krug are all at least 31 years old. Suter projects to compete for a spot on the third pair with Scott Perunovich, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Tyler Tucker, and Matthew Kessel - all of whom are 25 or younger.
Edited by Grandmaster

• Grandmaster changed the title to (Signing) Blues sign Suter 1 Year - 3M
48 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

His defensive metrics showed to be still good. Still, I think this is a bit of an overpay 

Those numbers are over last 3 yrs?

Maybe the extra T in his last name, makes him even more foundational, and you have to pay for that ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Trying to be a modern-day Chris Chelios or at least this generation's Zdeno Chara.

Maybe something else.   Matheui Schneider or the modern day Giordano ... that's IF he can play a little longer past this season.   Nothing like Chelios or Chara. 

3 hours ago, grumpyone said:

so this season he'll be getting paid by 3 different teams. 

2 of which NOT to play for them. 

I bet OEL will follow suit in a year or two.

Edited by Snoop Hogg

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Maybe something else.   Matheui Schneider or the modern day Giordano ... that's IF he can play a little longer past this season.   Nothing like Chelios or Chara. 

Ryan Suter...  Wonder where he stands in the final analysis.  I guess maybe somewhere with a one-off great season guy like Giordano.  Don't think Schneider ever quite hit Ryan's heights.  At his peak Schneider probably never matched Kevin Hatcher, Reed Larson, Steve Duchesne, Jeff Brown, Dave Babych etc.  He played a lot of seasons and a lot of games but peaked at around 54 points I think.

Anyway Chelios and Chara are for sure too lofty a comparison from the old days.  However maybe, I don't know...Brad McCrimmon lite?  Dave Ellett / Al Iafrate?

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Ryan Suter...  Wonder where he stands in the final analysis.  I guess maybe somewhere with a one-off great season guy like Giordano.  Don't think Schneider ever quite hit Ryan's heights.  At his peak Schneider probably never matched Kevin Hatcher, Reed Larson, Steve Duchesne, Jeff Brown, Dave Babych etc.  He played a lot of seasons and a lot of games but peaked at around 54 points I think.

Anyway Chelios and Chara are for sure too lofty a comparison from the old days.  However maybe, I don't know...Brad McCrimmon lite?  Dave Ellett / Al Iafrate?

Suter for sure has had a very good career.    Same as those guys.    Solid two way defenseman.    Weber as Suter then Josi and Weber.   Ellis.  Ekholm.   NSH without a doubt, the cap era's best defenseman factory.    Have to give them credit,  they've had some good teams, and good goalies too.  

Ellett, recently watched game 1 92/93 conference final, the one that set the tone with that monster Gimour hit,  Captian Crunch taking exception.    Gretzky in his book commented on how good that series was, and how those two warriors brought the best of hockey into it with their battle.      Remember the entire side of McSorely's face was black.    Ellett was on TO and an active combatant.   And a solid D even later in his career.     What a series that was.   The only TO team i've admired in 40 plus years of following the sport.    Was nice we got to face them in 94, and a testament to how great our team was too.   No small task, and we made short work of it. 

Al Ifrate famous for his shot and his skullet.    McCrimmon (RIP), was an excellent defenseman,  in the realm of Charlie Huddy.    Just did everything right.   Tough too.   Same as Ellet and Ifrate.  

Edit:  Didn't mind the Vaive/Lanny version of TO either.   The 80's didn't have much to aspire too until Clark was drafted though, he really brought some buzz to that organization.   Not the HHOFer they hoped for using a first overall,  but one of my favourite non-Canucks growing up given how he played the game.   Entertaining.    What a wrist shot too,  even late in his career he was cracking goalie equipment (masks) with it. 

Edited by IBatch