Canucks 2024-25 training camp thread

Training camp will be hosted at the South Okanagan Events Centre September 19 to 22, the Canucks announced this morning. It’s the first time that the training camp will be hosted in Pentiction since 2010.

Of course, Penticton is the host city for the Young Stars prospect tournament, which will take place from September 13 to 16.

“Staying in Penticton for training camp following Young Stars makes perfect sense for our organization,” said Canucks president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford. “The facilities are first class, the fans in the interior are very passionate, and the players, coaches, and staff really enjoy what the city and region has to offer. Our hockey club is committed to growing the game province-wide, and we really enjoy taking our camp to different cities in British Columbia. We look forward to connecting with our fan base in the Okanagan and using these on-ice sessions to set the standard and put in place the structure needed for the start of another season.”

Practice sessions will be open to the public, as will the Blue-White scrimmage on Sunday.

Two days after training camp wraps up, the Canucks will begin their preseason schedule with a game against the Seattle Kraken at Rogers Arena on September 24. The regular season schedule begins for Vancouver at home on October 9 against the Calgary Flames.

“We’re excited to welcome the Vancouver Canucks to Penticton for their training camp,” said Dean Clarke, general manager of the South Okanagan Events Centre. “This camp is a fantastic way to celebrate our partnership with the Canucks, which has spanned over a decade, and gives our community a unique opportunity to see NHL players in action, showcasing world-class hockey right here in the Okanagan.”

The Canucks are one of only a few NHL teams that regularly hold their training camp outside their home city. They went to Victoria last year, with Whistler hosting in 2022.

3 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Another good thing about the Canucks having had a decent playoffs is that it shortens the offseason a bit. I can't wait to get next season going.

Any word on Pettersson's offseason training? Or is he hanging out with Kuzmenko in Bali? Hope he comes to camp bigger and stronger. 

Yup, next offseason is gonna be REALLY short 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I trust Quinn calls all the players together in Vancouver for a week of informal workout prior to the official training camp in Penticton.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Any word on Pettersson's offseason training? Or is he hanging out with Kuzmenko in Bali? Hope he comes to camp bigger and stronger. 

Regarding Petey, I’ve just seen this one clip from him, posted earlier this month. It looks like he’s lost a bit more hair.

The Rock Comedy GIF by Baywatch Movie

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If he can morph into Mats Sundin I'm ok with that.

I remember when Sundin signed for that half of a season.... It took him a while to get going, but once he did... Oh boy, was he fun to watch! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He has 191 points the last two seasons. 50 points more in 2 years than JT Miller had career to date at 25. 24 points in 30 career play off games + a SHL post season MVP. 

And he is the same age as when Hank & Danny broke out.

People won't be satisfied unless who knows?  This is a superstar by any description. Maybe he is not McDavid, but we are lucky to have him by any measure... 

This market is of the mentality "What have you done for me lately?".

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The way a true professional performs is consistently

Tell me you haven't played sports at a high level, without telling me.

The post I replied to clearly outlines that he is playing at a very high level, consistently.... 

Injured players don't play at their very best... So a subpar performance late into the season and the playoffs is not unheard of.... But go on. 

32 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

The post I replied to clearly outlines that he is playing at a very high level, consistently.... 

Injured players don't play at their very best... So a subpar performance late into the season and the playoffs is not unheard of.... But go on. 

It's a general comment made to a general comment. 

In Pettersson's case, they tell us that there is no injury.  What has he done for us lately?  I'm saying that we expect a top performance every game out of a mature pro.  We don't expect prolonged slumps.  There must have been something bothering him in a big way for his performance to fall off so badly.  But they're not telling us upper body or lower body, that everything was fine.  And then they signed him to a whopper of a contract which must confirm the injury theory.  It had better.

Allvin would also say that Petterson didn't have line mates who were capable of playing at a high level for an extended period.  This was true enough and was something that he addressed with the addition of DeBrusk.  

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He has 191 points the last two seasons. 50 points more in 2 years than JT Miller had career to date at 25. 24 points in 30 career play off games + a SHL post season MVP. 

And he is the same age as when Hank & Danny broke out.

People won't be satisfied unless who knows?  This is a superstar by any description. Maybe he is not McDavid, but we are lucky to have him by any measure... 

I mean if he need's 15m in wingers to be successful that's a problem. He's making 11.6m he need's to at least be the best player on the team. Miller's line costs <17 mill and is one of the best in the league is it wrong to expect Pete to be able to also produce as a 17m line?

8 hours ago, Fantomex said:

That actually doesn't say anything about consistency. Yes, Pettersson is 10th in scoring over the last two seasons but that doesn't mean he was consistent during the season. "Bad" Pettersson is not actually bad at hockey, but it is different from superstar Pettersson.

Pettersson tends to go through slumps fairly regularly. When he is on, he plays like one of the top 5 players in the league, but when slumping he's more in the 30-40 range. Again, that doesn't mean that he's a bad player, but it does show inconsistency which can be quite frustrating when we know what he is capable of. Next season he's going to be the 5th highest paid player in the league which does mean he actually has to play like that regularly and not just 70% of the time.

On 7/13/2024 at 9:04 AM, PureQuickness said:

Yes, but can this new Petey play hockey? He's too bulky....

Petey does not need to come to camp heavy. Just won’t work for him, that’s not his body type. You’re spot on here. Only problem with Pete was injury and confidence 

• Cheers 1

Hopefully Petey is skating uphill on his rollerblades like the sedins used to do,some lower body work would be beneficial.Big expectations for Petey with his contract hope it doesn't become a distraction

4 hours ago, Devron said:

Petey does not need to come to camp heavy. Just won’t work for him, that’s not his body type. You’re spot on here. Only problem with Pete was injury and confidence 

Haha well, I was making a joke about Petey becoming "The Rock" in that GIF. 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

Hopefully Petey is skating uphill on his rollerblades like the sedins used to do,some lower body work would be beneficial.Big expectations for Petey with his contract hope it doesn't become a distraction

Does he have Pavel's cellfone number?

image.png.621b355f5b74d15d861b4d52a0abc1bd.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, I still miss Pavel Bure sooooo much.

That parachute pic... man, he was such a game changer; game breaker; goalie breaker etc.

Now that would be a winger for Petey...

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Does he have Pavel's cellfone number?

image.png.621b355f5b74d15d861b4d52a0abc1bd.png

• Vintage 1

On 7/12/2024 at 4:30 PM, Reg said:

I trust Quinn calls all the players together in Vancouver for a week of informal workout prior to the official training camp in Penticton.

Was just thinking this.  We're about a month away from guys coming in early for informal skate/workouts.  Expectations are higher, here's hoping the boys rise to the occasion.

• Cheers 1