[GDT] Around the NHL [October 2023]

Coconuts

Alex Ovechkin finally scores. On the power play. With 11 seconds left. He had 14 shots on goal. 

Imagine needing 14 shots on goal to finally score one on the power play with 11 seconds left when the other team is up 4-0. 

I think he is done. But he will continue playing until he breaks the record. He migjt have to play until he is 50 though. 

• ThereItIs 1

I spent a few minutes on the Oilers HFBoards forum and most fans have given up on the season already. "Cup or bust" may not have been the best slogan for them to pick this year, because it's a bust alright. I honestly think they need to blow the whole thing up. Trade McDavid and Draisaitl for a massive haul of prospects and picks and get a new GM and coaching staff and start over. At this point it's just sad watching the careers of two hall-of-fame players flushed down the toilet.

I suppose it's conceivable a new coach could still turn things around, but their defence and goaltending just doesn't fill me with confidence that it's possible. I would love to see what a Tocchet-coached Oilers team could have done this year. But too bad, he's ours!

Edited by Strawbone
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I would love to see what a Tocchet-coached Oilers team could have done this year. But too bad, he's ours!

Nice to see a fan on here, feeling this good about our coach.  I'm still cautiously optimistic.  In my view, part og what makes a great coach, is surrounding yourself with the right assistance.  Not just the ones you get along with. 

Seems having Foote especially and Gonchar has been, in my view just as important as Tocc at the helm.  Case and point.... Having the balls and brains to lower Myers minutes... Seems like a no brainer to us but politics and other issues that we're not privy to, can get in the way of 'common sense' aka 'the Benning effect'.

2 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Nice to see a fan on here, feeling this good about our coach.  I'm still cautiously optimistic.  In my view, part og what makes a great coach, is surrounding yourself with the right assistance.  Not just the ones you get along with. 

Seems having Foote especially and Gonchar has been, in my view just as important as Tocc at the helm.  Case and point.... Having the balls and brains to lower Myers minutes... Seems like a no brainer to us but politics and other issues that we're not privy to, can get in the way of 'common sense' aka 'the Benning effect'.

The thing about Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar is that those guys were all excellent hard-nosed, hard-working, physical players who are going to command huge respect from the players. I mean, I'm pretty sure Tocchet and Foote could still take down any current Canuck in a fight lol.

Jay Woodcroft? Not so much. Watching his interviews recently, I got Pee-Wee Herman vibes. Not the guy I'd pick to lead my team in to battle and win a Stanley Cup.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Alex Ovechkin finally scores. On the power play. With 11 seconds left. He had 14 shots on goal. 

Imagine needing 14 shots on goal to finally score one on the power play with 11 seconds left when the other team is up 4-0. 

I think he is done. But he will continue playing until he breaks the record. He migjt have to play until he is 50 though. 

based on his age he's prolly not going to score 40.. but to be able to get 14 shots on goal in a game?? not many players are capable.. he's a volume shooter.. i doubt he cares how many shot he takes before scoring.. if requring 14 shots to score a goal = being done.. is matthew tkatchuk done too? 28 shots 0 goals filip forsberg 1 goal in 33 shots? ovi is a streaky scorer in his career.. i think he ends up in the 25-30 goal range and if he wants to break the record will require 4 more years.. unless they get him some help.. washington top 6 just isn't really that good.

• Cheers 1

From what i see right now....

Vegas, Avs, Bruins, Devils, Redwings are Hot and lookin strong right now....along with teams like lafs, tampa, NYR, Dallas....and Canucks:parrot: looks playoff bound. 

Pens, Caps look old but the older guys often take a bit longer before they get started...i think caps wont make the playoffs none the less...pens maybe, if they can get some chemistry going. not looking good at all. prolly raise in the rankings a bit but at best a wildcard. 

Sharks, Ducks, hawks, NYI,  Kraken...nah.....theyr gonna be racing for draftpicks come springtime. 

the rest is a bit of open for who gets wildcards...

Edited by Mrwipeout

7 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Jay Woodcroft? Not so much. Watching his interviews recently, I got Pee-Wee Herman vibes. Not the guy I'd pick to lead my team in to battle and win a Stanley Cup.

Every time I see him, I think he suffers from little man syndrome.  Looked it up, and was shocked to see he is over 6ft.

Him strutting out after beating the Flames in the playoffs, hand on his hip as he waits to shake hands, was so weak.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Telling that the brother combo scores a few points but their team loses. Devils have a team

of softeroo puck suckers. They will miss the playoffs. Hey! Maybe they add Zegras? 🤣

There seems to be alot of people that think all you need is skill and finesse. The Hughes boys got that. But the "insignificant" bruit of the caps will win eventually.

The 2011 canucks were faster, tricky, smarter. But Bruins had Nasty. Dirty, Filthy Marchand.

but our fanbase doesnt think we need a MacEwan cause we are socially acceptable currently.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

From what i see right now....

Vegas, Avs, Bruins, Devils, Redwings are Hot and lookin strong right now....along with teams like lafs, tampa, NYR, Dallas....and Canucks:parrot: looks playoff bound. 

Pens, Caps look old but the older guys often take a bit longer before they get started...i think caps wont make the playoffs none the less...pens maybe, if they can get some chemistry going. not looking good at all. prolly raise in the rankings a bit but at best a wildcard. 

Sharks, Ducks, hawks, NYI,  Kraken...nah.....theyr gonna be racing for draftpicks come springtime. 

the rest is a bit of open for who gets wildcards...

Vegas is nuts.  Hurts to see them continuing their roll.

Bruins, ok sure, they are undefeated.  But who have they played?  Be interesting to see where they are in 20 games.  Maybe they are that good, but I wanna see them play a few decent teams to know for sure