[GDT] Around the NHL [October 2023]

Coconuts

3 minutes ago, Tusk said:

There seems to be alot of people that think all you need is skill and finesse. The Hughes boys got that. But the "insignificant" bruit of the caps will win eventually.

The 2011 canucks were faster, tricky, smarter. But Bruins had Nasty. Dirty, Filthy Marchand.

but our fanbase doesnt think we need a MacEwan cause we are socially acceptable currently.

When it comes to winning hockey @Tusk old Alf cannot disagree. Yes, a club needs skill but it also needs brutality. And it’s even better if the skill is brutal too. Although those guys, like Howe, are rare. Here’s to hoping we get a couple guys who can play but are also brutal. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Cute result with the Caps/Devils game... all 10 goals went in the same goal.

Wonder if that has happened to that extent before.

`Cute? no. Its called slanted ice and its usually the Refs who are responsibile/at fault. Example, linesman A places a 39K bet on the game......

4 minutes ago, Tusk said:

`Cute? no. Its called slanted ice and its usually the Refs who are responsibile/at fault. Example, linesman A places a 39K bet on the game......

Umm, what?

3 goals in the 1st for the Caps, 4 goals in the 2nd for the Devils, then 3 more for the Caps in the third.

Somehow I don't think the refs give a crap about one end of the rink seeing all the goals close up.

Just now, Kragar said:

Umm, what?

3 goals in the 1st for the Caps, 4 goals in the 2nd for the Devils, then 3 more for the Caps in the third.

Somehow I don't think the refs give a crap about one end of the rink seeing all the goals close up.

Yup. The Devils are just a team full of puck sucking softaroos who will pee their hockey pants and hide if a game gets tough. 

12 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Cute result with the Caps/Devils game... all 10 goals went in the same goal.

Wonder if that has happened to that extent before.

Almost did the time Bertuzzi crushed what his name. Irbe got shelled, what, 11-2? Maybe only two goals in one net -- the one i was sitting behind. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When it comes to winning hockey @Tusk old Alf cannot disagree. Yes, a club needs skill but it also needs brutality. And it’s even better if the skill is brutal too. Although those guys, like Howe, are rare. Here’s to hoping we get a couple guys who can play but are also brutal. 

Its a slippery slope. Naslund, bertuzzi, morrison were one of the best lines ever. If they got a goalie sooner they would have won. But nobody remembers them because Bertuzzi stood up for a hit on Naslund. I dont think it was ment to be as bad... 

The point is the hit on Naslund was not taken care of by the NHL or the Refs.

Bertuzzi hit that fucker hard the next time they played. "broke his back" the fucker claimed. that guy got more from a court case than he could earn in hockey and is perfectly healthy playing lousy golf.

We need a few guys to stand up to the guys who are going to try to put Petey, Kuz, Mik, Miller, Brock out of the linup.

Who just want a ring, and willing to be the bad Marchant asshole

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Its a slippery slope. Naslund, bertuzzi, morrison were one of the best lines ever. If they got a goalie sooner they would have won. But nobody remembers them because Bertuzzi stood up for a hit on Naslund. I dont think it was ment to be as bad... 

The point is the hit on Naslund was not taken care of by the NHL or the Refs.

Bertuzzi hit that fucker hard the next time they played. "broke his back" the fucker claimed. that guy got more from a court case than he could earn in hockey and is perfectly healthy playing lousy golf.

We need a few guys to stand up to the guys who are going to try to put Petey, Kuz, Mik, Miller, Brock out of the linup.

Who just want a ring, and willing to be the bad Marchant asshole

There’s a reason why Mrs. Alf, who doesn’t much like us; she’s a Leafs fan, chose the name her tough farm truck “Big Todd”. Thst was one mother tough truck. 

• Haha 1

3 more points for hughes tonight.. looks like he's running away with the art ross and hart trophy this year.. the early favorite anyways.. there was a thread or post about JH vs EP or something i forgot what it was about maybe a fantasy trade proposal.. but i 100% take JH over EP right now.. 17 points in 6 games.. that's ridiculous at this level.. that's higher than Mcdavid ppg at any stretch last season.. i mean of coz he won't continue at this pace.. but breaking 120 points is not out of the question for hughes.. and when you are comparing it to Mcdavid or Mackinnon?? it's even more impressive because Mcdavid have Drais and Nuge on the PP.. Mackinnon have Rantanen and Makar.. Jack hughes?? i dunno hamilton meier and toffoli? he doesn't have the same quality on linesmate 

57 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

Almost did the time Bertuzzi crushed what his name. Irbe got shelled, what, 11-2? Maybe only two goals in one net -- the one i was sitting behind. 

Bummer for you... although maybe a blessing in disguise that day.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Bummer for you... although maybe a blessing in disguise that day.

Yeah it was a weird evening. No play by play when you're at a game so no one knew what was going on. I can still see it happen in my peripheral vision, a huge shape like batman enveloping someone. Dead silence in the arena, dark thoughts about what might have happened. I just left. 

• Cheers 1

So, they have Ovechkin on in the last minute of the game with the net empty to get the empty net goal.  I mean, is this what it is going to come down to?  Getting him on the ice for as many cheap goals as possible to break the record?  Is this what we are going to be watching for the next 2-3 years?

If he breaks the record scoring cheap empty net goals and power play goals in the last minute of the game when his team is down 4-0 and nobody is trying, then I think Gretzky shouldn't even bother to show up and congratulate him.  Sorry, but this is a pretty pathetic and sad way to break one of the greatest NHL records ever...

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, they have Ovechkin on in the last minute of the game with the net empty to get the empty net goal.  I mean, is this what it is going to come down to?  Getting him on the ice for as many cheap goals as possible to break the record?  Is this what we are going to be watching for the next 2-3 years?

If he breaks the record scoring cheap empty net goals and power play goals in the last minute of the game when his team is down 4-0 and nobody is trying, then I think Gretzky shouldn't even bother to show up and congratulate him.  Sorry, but this is a pretty pathetic and sad way to break one of the greatest NHL records ever...

Ovechkin has often been on the ice throughout his career when the other team's net was empty. Petey was on the ice last game too and missed two opportunities. Ovechkin actually made a good read to intercept the puck on the boards which allowed him to get the empty netter. Now that he's so close to the record is Washington going to try and help a little bit? Of course they will. But, that doesn't mean they're going to start throwing games just to get him a goal.

9 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Ovechkin has often been on the ice throughout his career when the other team's net was empty. Petey was on the ice last game too and missed two opportunities. Ovechkin actually made a good read to intercept the puck on the boards which allowed him to get the empty netter. Now that he's so close to the record is Washington going to try and help a little bit? Of course they will. But, that doesn't mean they're going to start throwing games just to get him a goal.

Petey is a Selke award candidate. He is a regular penalty killer for his team. He should be on the ice in the last minute of a game.

Ovechkin is a pure goal scorer. He doesn’t even know where the defensive zone is located. He’s killed like 10 penalties in his entire career. The only reason he’s on the ice in the last minute of a game when the other teams net is empty is to pad his goal stats. 

Gretzky scored 195 goals on the power play. Ovechkin has scored 300 so far. Ovechkin has greatly benefited from special teams and empty nets to pad his stats. Similar to what McDavid is doing. 

Actually, I’m pretty sure Washington will do whatever it takes to make sure Ovi gets the record. Including putting him on when the net is empty, power plays in the last minute of a game. Not saying they will throw the game, but they have nothing else to play for right now. Washington sucks and will be going through a massive rebuild once Ovechkin gets the record and retires. 

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This has been the case for years. With Ovie's accuracy he can score the EN goal to increase the lead and secure the win. It's a sound decision.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is a Selke award candidate. He is a regular penalty killer for his team. He should be on the ice in the last minute of a game.

Ovechkin is a pure goal scorer. He doesn’t even know where the defensive zone is located. He’s killed like 10 penalties in his entire career. The only reason he’s on the ice in the last minute of a game when the other teams net is empty is to pad his goal stats. 

Gretzky scored 195 goals on the power play. Ovechkin has scored 300 so far. Ovechkin has greatly benefited from special teams and empty nets to pad his stats. Similar to what McDavid is doing. 

Actually, I’m pretty sure Washington will do whatever it takes to make sure Ovi gets the record. Including putting him on when the net is empty, power plays in the last minute of a game. Not saying they will throw the game, but they have nothing else to play for right now. Washington sucks and will be going through a massive rebuild once Ovechkin gets the record and retires. 

You could have said that about Ovechkin early in his career right until Boudreau was still the coach. When Hunter and Trotz came along they absolutely had a big influence on Ovechkin's game culminating in a Cup win. I am certainly not a big Ovi fan but to me that is going a little too far, he can hold his own in the defensive zone and he is physically still a menace.

Edited by Riddikulus

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

it's not like gretzky still have a 1 or 2 goal lead on empty nets.. let's be real the record would have been already broken if it's not for the lockout and 2 shortened season which equates to almost 2 season lost.. and i'm pretty sure team still put their top powerplay on the ice when they are losing in the last minute of games.. the only time they wouldn't is if they are winning in a blowout. you can say ovechkin and mcdavid is benefitting from special teams.. i can say gretzky benefitted from goalies with tiny equipment and the league average in goals is 4 vs the current 3 and the sv% in the .880s vs the .910s 

i don't care if ovi breaks it or not but i certainly wouldn't mind him breaking it whatever way he needs as it is still a crazy accomplishment.. there haven't been a player in this league that's as consistent as ovi is this late into his career in terms of scoring goals.. like no one is even close.. if there's a stats for goals scored for players 30+ i don't think there's a player remotely close to ovechkin

Brannstrom taken out by Clutterbuck with the same hit as what happened to Podkolzin last night. 

Used legs to take out Brannstrom's legs, Brannstrom came down on his head, also had to be stretchered off. 

Gotta start taking a serious look at these hits, its sickening to see. You can make a hit along the wall without sweeping your opponents legs out. 

Torts early jack adam front runner?? pretty sure everyone have philly lottery bound.. but the way they are playing.. they are competitive as hell.. they'll probably beat minny tonight.. took vegas to the last 30 sec of 3rd period before losing.. we can hate torts all we want.. but he knows how to get the most out of his players.. they are doing it with the absolute worse powerplay at 5% 

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Cheers 1