[GDT] Around the NHL [October 2023]

Coconuts

I actually think Calgary on paper is pretty good, but seems like the performance of Huberdeau and Kadri is whats bringing them down. They have a solid D-Core tbh, thought they would be a good team but I guess we'll see how it goes. 

The Oilers start hasn't really suprised me. Said it all of last year that I never saw them as contenders and I do think they are a 3-4 person team. Will be huge for the conference and the league if they miss the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The good news for the Alberta teams is that somebody  has to win on Sunday. 

I dunno... I'd like to think if the game goes 0-0 through OT, and no one can score in the shootout, that has to be called a draw. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

In time sure.

Right now it hasn’t been around long enough to be that impressive.

It's been around all of Pettersson's career, same with Hughes. A number of very talented players have only played in an Era of 3 on 3 OT. Caufield is clutch in OT. Not sure why you feel the need to discount the achievement lije he's had some unfair advantage that other players haven't. 

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, they have Ovechkin on in the last minute of the game with the net empty to get the empty net goal.  I mean, is this what it is going to come down to?  Getting him on the ice for as many cheap goals as possible to break the record?  Is this what we are going to be watching for the next 2-3 years?

If he breaks the record scoring cheap empty net goals and power play goals in the last minute of the game when his team is down 4-0 and nobody is trying, then I think Gretzky shouldn't even bother to show up and congratulate him.  Sorry, but this is a pretty pathetic and sad way to break one of the greatest NHL records ever...

While I agree to a point, it's not like Gretzky didn't  have a boatload of empty netters himself.

• Cheers 1

So, who is going to start the Connor McDavid countdown to trade thread?  We know it's going to happen.  He's not staying in that shitshow...

I'll start it off here...

To Edmonton:

Adam Fox

Alexis Lafreniere

Brennan Othmann

2024 1st round pick

2025 1st round pick

To New York Rangers:

Connor McDavid

Honestly, from what I can see the Rangers would be the only team that could trade for him.  Fox doesn't have a NTC, so he's easy to move and would be the best player the Oilers could get on the open market who doesn't have a NTC.  

53 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, who is going to start the Connor McDavid countdown to trade thread?  We know it's going to happen.  He's not staying in that shitshow...

I'll start it off here...

To Edmonton:

Adam Fox

Alexis Lafreniere

Brennan Othmann

2024 1st round pick

2025 1st round pick

To New York Rangers:

Connor McDavid

Honestly, from what I can see the Rangers would be the only team that could trade for him.  Fox doesn't have a NTC, so he's easy to move and would be the best player the Oilers could get on the open market who doesn't have a NTC.  

Why would the Oilers want a defenseman? :hurhur:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Gretzky scored 56 empty net goals. Ovechkin is second all-time with 55.

Gretzky and Kurri were regular penalty killers for Edmonton.  Gretzky also has the most shorthanded goals in NHL history.  He wasn't a liability shorthanded or in the last minute of the game.  Ovechkin has killed like 10 penalties in his whole career.  He is not the guy you put on the ice when you are protecting a lead.  Big difference between the two.  Gretzky DESERVED to be on the ice in the last minute of the game.  Same with Pavel Bure, who also regularly killed penalties.  Pavel has the most shorthanded goals in Canucks history and is 11th all time. 

Name another team that puts out a pure goal scorer in the last minute of a game to protect a lead, a guy that never kills penalties?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Calgary at least has NHL quality D and goaltending.  Calling the trash Edmonton calls a blueline AHL quality is generous.  Bouchard would  be riding the pine on a decent beer league team.  Happy to see both of these franchised being exposed as the jokes that they are.

Yup, Calgary can't score, Edmonton can't defend. Such poorly balanced teams. The GMs did try to address these problems - getting Huby and Kadri, and Ekholm respectively, but the big difference is coaching.

The Canucks have an offensive-minded group of stars and a good goalie, so in the offseason we get hard defencemen and a defensive coach to balance the squad out.

Edmonton has offensive stars and offensive defenceman and no goalie, and they get an offensive minded coach. No surprises there.

Calgary have great defencemen, a (in theory) decent goalie and just promote an average assistant coach to head coach.

7 hours ago, KingRaj91 said:

I actually think Calgary on paper is pretty good, but seems like the performance of Huberdeau and Kadri is whats bringing them down. They have a solid D-Core tbh, thought they would be a good team but I guess we'll see how it goes. 

The Oilers start hasn't really suprised me. Said it all of last year that I never saw them as contenders and I do think they are a 3-4 person team. Will be huge for the conference and the league if they miss the playoffs.

Looks like Marky is not playing that well too. His saving % is 0.906 - 31th in NHL

10 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

It's not like 3 on 3 didn't exist for Point.  He smashed the record by 60 games 

terrible stats.. that also depends on how many overtime game did montreal involved in  during that 130 games.. for all we know montreal could have played way more overtime games than point did in 190 games. the stats should be how many overtime games it took for caulfield to reach 6 goals not how many games he played to reach 6 OT goals

• Cheers 1