[GDT] Around the NHL [October 2023]

Coconuts

10 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

So the story goes, but I think his mind was already made up, and in the very least he was in buddy Marky's ear to join him in the mutiny.

So you reject reality and substitute your own theory based on absolutely nothing. 

• Cheers 1

The Ducks win their fourth straight game. They are heating up and only 1 point behind us and tied with points with the Kings.

The Pacific's expected teams the Oilers, Kraken, and Flames are really flaking out but the Ducks have surged and put themselves in a good position to start the season. Surprised by their start.

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The Ducks win their fourth straight game. They are heating up and only 1 point behind us and tied with points with the Kings.

The Pacific's expected teams the Oilers, Kraken, and Flames are really flaking out but the Ducks have surged and put themselves in a good position to start the season. Surprised by their start.

Kraken are still managing to pick up points though 

Thing about Seattle is they've lost to some strong teams in Vegas, Colorado, Carolina, Florida, and the Rangers 

Losses to Nashville and the Blues don't look great, but I'd expect them to turn things around given they've beaten some teams playing good hockey in Detroit, Tampa, and Carolina 

3-5-2 ain't a great start but it's not bad 

I'd be surprised if Anaheim kept it going into say.. January or February 

Calgary could dig themselves a hole early at this rate, I'd expect the Oil to bounce back more with McDavid back in the fold though, that team simply has too much firepower up front imo 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Ducks added a lot of toughness this summer to the mix of skill.  

I still don't think that they've done enough turnover to rid themselves of the stink of being -100 last year.  

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Man, hope he's ok. Dirty freakin Bruins.

Gotta love (not!) the Boston feed.  Before the call was made they were stating how it could be called back, then were absolutely gobsmacked that it stayed a match.  McAvoy sure better get extra games as that hit was directly to the head and incredibly unnecessary.  That is the exact hit the NHL has been trying to get rid of for years.

• Upvote 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/bruins-mcavoy-receives-match-penalty-for-hit-on-panthers-ekman-larsson/

Above is the link the Boston reaction.  It's disgusting..."Apparent Ekman-Larsson injury"  "oh, woe is me, now the Bruins are down 2 defensemen"  Also, after a clear look at the replay, "Looks like it is up high".

Stay classy Boston.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Kraken are still managing to pick up points though 

Thing about Seattle is they've lost to some strong teams in Vegas, Colorado, Carolina, Florida, and the Rangers 

Losses to Nashville and the Blues don't look great, but I'd expect them to turn things around given they've beaten some teams playing good hockey in Detroit, Tampa, and Carolina 

3-5-2 ain't a great start but it's not bad 

I'd be surprised if Anaheim kept it going into say.. January or February 

Calgary could dig themselves a hole early at this rate, I'd expect the Oil to bounce back more with McDavid back in the fold though, that team simply has too much firepower up front imo 

I agree, I think eventually Anaheim likely looses steam and comes back down to earth with the lack of depth in their lineup. However, with Edmonton's and Calgary's free fall, they could very well be in the position we were in last season. I remember hearing Chris Cuthbert last nights game saying that Edmonton finally registered a point from a player in their bottom six...took them nearly 8 games to do that. I think their troubles are being more magnified now even with McDavid back, they are solely a one line team. Calgary I can see continuing to fall behind the pack quickly.  Seattle sees to be stuck in the mud with some really bad injury luck and poor goaltending.

Its interesting, I wonder if the Canucks strike quickly to move out salary and address other needs and capitalize on what seems to be a very slow start in the Pacific. 

25 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Ducks added a lot of toughness this summer to the mix of skill.  

I still don't think that they've done enough turnover to rid themselves of the stink of being -100 last year.  

I watched only two games of their's this season, they certainly do play with a lot more edge. Adding Gudas and Ross Johnston really helped that team stand a little taller. 

24 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I agree, I think eventually Anaheim likely looses steam and comes back down to earth with the lack of depth in their lineup. However, with Edmonton's and Calgary's free fall, they could very well be in the position we were in last season. I remember hearing Chris Cuthbert last nights game saying that Edmonton finally registered a point from a player in their bottom six...took them nearly 8 games to do that. I think their troubles are being more magnified now even with McDavid back, they are solely a one line team. Calgary I can see continuing to fall behind the pack quickly.  Seattle sees to be stuck in the mud with some really bad injury luck and poor goaltending.

Its interesting, I wonder if the Canucks strike quickly to move out salary and address other needs and capitalize on what seems to be a very slow start in the Pacific. 

I watched only two games of their's this season, they certainly do play with a lot more edge. Adding Gudas and Ross Johnston really helped that team stand a little taller. 

Dunno, I'd say Edmonton has at least two lines

McDavid, Draisaitl, Kane, Nuge, Hyman

They're top heavy though, absolutely 

Dunno, if it's Garland or Beauvillier they want to move I doubt there's much of a market that doesn't involve cap coming back

Don't see Myers going anywhere 

I think they'll probably stay the course, moves could be too costly to make

1 hour ago, Crimson JH said:

Mission Accomplished “toKnight” for me! I’m at the Knights vs Montréal game.
I got to finally meet one of my favourite former Canucks! Alexandre Burrows! And signed my player-issued jersey! 🥰🤩

IMG_4221.thumb.jpeg.e6bf0df215c45382e6daf50ce25ca74a.jpegIMG_4222.thumb.jpeg.0ee85de51b5be143a21cf16cbb38c6be.jpeg

During pre-game warmups, for some reason Burrows came out early to watch bit of the warmup (normally coaches don’t usually show up at warmups). I was standing about 12 feets away from him. I couldn’t get close to the opponent bench for safety reasons. When I saw him, I immediately pulled out the jersey and waving it at him trying to get his attention, some of the Habs fans behind me were flagging him for me too! Burrows saw me and the jersey, since it stick out like a sore thumb and came right over with a biggest grin ever on his face! 

We chatted for a bit and he was saying the Canucks are doing really well this year! I told him I missed seeing him on the ice with the Canucks and hope one day he will coach for the organisation someday. He says one day, hopefully… 🙃

After that moment, I was so over the moon and noticed the Habs fans were cheering on me after my interaction with Burrows. We all “high fives” and congratulating me both in English and French. 🇫🇷 

@-dlc- thought you would love to see this… 

I am totally loving this!! 😍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crimson JH said:

Mission Accomplished “toKnight” for me! I’m at the Knights vs Montréal game.
I got to finally meet one of my favourite former Canucks! Alexandre Burrows! And signed my player-issued jersey! 🥰🤩

IMG_4221.thumb.jpeg.e6bf0df215c45382e6daf50ce25ca74a.jpegIMG_4222.thumb.jpeg.0ee85de51b5be143a21cf16cbb38c6be.jpeg

During pre-game warmups, for some reason Burrows came out early to watch bit of the warmup (normally coaches don’t usually show up at warmups). I was standing about 12 feets away from him. I couldn’t get close to the opponent bench for safety reasons. When I saw him, I immediately pulled out the jersey and waving it at him trying to get his attention, some of the Habs fans behind me were flagging him for me too! Burrows saw me and the jersey, since it stick out like a sore thumb and came right over with a biggest grin ever on his face! 

We chatted for a bit and he was saying the Canucks are doing really well this year! I told him I missed seeing him on the ice with the Canucks and hope one day he will coach for the organisation someday. He says one day, hopefully… 🙃

After that moment, I was so over the moon and noticed the Habs fans were cheering on me after my interaction with Burrows. We all “high fives” and congratulating me both in English and French. 🇫🇷 

@-dlc- thought you would love to see this… 

What an awesome experience! 

• Like 1