LA Kings Sign Quinton Byfield

19 minutes ago, tas said:

he'll outperform that deal immediately. 

Also a UFA at that point (at age 27 I think).  Kings management took some risk (if he walks where they get nothing) for that great/good cap hit.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

This is going to be a bargain contract from the very start. Byfield took some serious strides last year. As Kopitar ages out, his opportunities will only grow. I still can’t believe LA got out of the PLD contract unscathed. 

I mean they did still flush their prospects down the toilet. I wouldn't call that unscathed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Heard the guys on 650 saying how this  is so rare that the second contract will end during his first year of eligibility as a UFA. 

Sure but if you add just one year a lot of huge names come to mind.   Or just big ones like Horvat.   Recently Mathew's, a bit before that Tavares and Stamkos.   Byfield isn't a big name is he.   Not that big.    Horvat > at the same time of his signing.   QHs is likely going to be added to the list of massive free agents when his name is up.     If you're 26 and come up that is rare.   27/28 not rare at all.    He's getting paid to produce like Horvat did for us, mid 50's and 25 or so goals.   Attainable but man that's also a huge pay day for 20 goals and 55 points as a winger mostly last season. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

This is going to be a bargain contract from the very start. Byfield took some serious strides last year. As Kopitar ages out, his opportunities will only grow. I still can’t believe LA got out of the PLD contract unscathed. 

20 goals and 55 points is a bargain contract?   I don't know.   He's got the same ones he's already had.   Thing is he's been used as a RW ... so now that's he's going to center, second line - I sure hope he can keep scoring at his 7 goal per year pace lol.   For our sake anyways (ok well not over 82 games but it's not amazing production).  I don't see him as a better player than Horvat was, and he got the same sort of deal cap percentage wise.   Difference is Horvat was a center from the start, and earned his job at 18 because he could take face offs.    Byfield, they didn't have much choice but to use him.    Maybe this will work out for LA, but don't see it as a foregone conclusion.  28 goals isn't very impressive production, what is impressive is his size and his two-way game.     Let's see how he does with more responsibility. 

Edited by IBatch

15 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Essentially gives LA 5 years to become competitive so they can convince Byfield to stay when the contract is done. Seems similar to the deal Hughes took a few years back. 

Or LA can trade him and go into full rebuild mode when Kopitar and Doughty hang them up.     I don't think LA has nearly enough core replacements to not have some down years coming.    It's coming.  

5 hours ago, AK-19 said:

I mean they did still flush their prospects down the toilet. I wouldn't call that unscathed. 

Ya they could still hold the 3 guys they traded to get PLD.  Arguably one of the worst cases of asset management in recent years.  Undoubtedly worse than OEL

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

20 goals and 55 points is a bargain contract?   I don't know.   He's got the same ones he's already had.   Thing is he's been used as a RW ... so now that's he's going to center, second line - I sure hope he can keep scoring at his 7 goal per year pace lol.   For our sake anyways (ok well not over 82 games but it's not amazing production).  I don't see him as a better player than Horvat was, and he got the same sort of deal cap percentage wise.   Difference is Horvat was a center from the start, and earned his job at 18 because he could take face offs.    Byfield, they didn't have much choice but to use him.    Maybe this will work out for LA, but don't see it as a foregone conclusion.  28 goals isn't very impressive production, what is impressive is his size and his two-way game.     Let's see how he does with more responsibility. 

I don’t got all that fancy know how but he’s looked good to me 

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

Willie also had enough confidence in Horvat to handle the bulk of the tough defensive assignments at the start of the season they acquired Sutter (who was the stronger defensive center imho).  Had Sutter playing with the Sedins for some reason (I guess to break him in on a new team).

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

Did you watch him play at all or just looking at stat sheets? Byfield was one of kings most dominate players if you don’t just look at offensive production and see how he plays the game right, 200 feet, physical and responsible the points will follow him. I would trade 21 year old Horvat for 21 year old byfield every day of the week 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/16/2024 at 10:06 AM, GrammaInTheTub said:

They essentially traded: Iafollo, Valardi, Kupari, 2nd for Kuemper

• Haha 1

So Kings have a 5 year window to capitalize on before major pay raise. I don't think next year will be their year, but they might be a team to watch over the next 2-5 years