[Article] - Former Vancouver Canucks’ player’s son hunts for his dad’s jersey (News1130)

Former Vancouver Canucks’ player’s son hunts for his dad’s jersey

Jerseys on display at the Canucks Store in Vancouver on Thursday May 10, 2024
Jerseys on display at the Canucks Store in Vancouver on Thursday May 10, 2024. (CityNews Image)

Posted July 15, 2024 10:22 pm.

Last Updated July 16, 2024 10:12 am.

The son of a popular former Canuck from the 70s is asking the team’s fans for help.

Court Lalonde’s father, Robert Patrick Lalonde, known as Bobby Lalonde, was a forward with the team from 1971 to 1977.

However, the family does not have a jersey to commemorate Bobby’s time with the Canucks.

“My dad loved playing in the NHL. He loved playing for the Vancouver Canucks. (He’s) very proud of that. But we don’t really have anything besides hockey cards,” Court said. “I don’t even have a video from when he played.”

Court says his dad would probably cry if he was able to bring him a jersey.

“I can find stuff every now and then on YouTube, but there weren’t any records kept besides paper records and stuff that you can sort of pull up on the internet,” he said.

Court says he has come across some people who had his father’s jersey but they were not willing to sell it. He also wants people to know he’s willing to pay for a jersey.

“I offered 1200 bucks at the time, so suppose that’s what I was told the fair market value was, but to me, it’s priceless like it’s not about the money, it’s just about having a piece of our family history back,” he said. “I’m not looking for someone to give it to me (for free). I’m just looking if it’s out there and I just want to buy it.”

Court says when a player gets drafted for the NHL it’s an accomplishment, and the first thing the player receives is a jersey — which is very special.

“My daughter’s jersey from last year, we’ve hung it up on the wall,” he said.

He says finding his dad’s jersey would be finding a “symbol” of playing in the NHL.

“It means so much just to have that crest back in the family,” he said. “It was the first team my dad ever played for.”

The dedicated son says if he were to find the jersey he would give it to his dad, but eventually, it would go to his daughter.

“Then that would stay in our family forever. It would never leave,” Court said.

Court says he knows there are jerseys out there, and hopes he can get his hands on one.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/07/15/vancouver-canucks-player-jersey-hunt/

• Cheers 1

How sentimental.  Hope he can work a deal.  I have heard of people paying a lot of money just to have an authentic jersey remade to original specs from the manufacturer.  It would cost way more than what he was offering.

Heck. If I had a Bobby Lalonde jersey from back in the day, I'd be more than willing to give it up to them. For free even!

It obviously means a ton more to them than it would for someone like lil' old me. I mean in my early teen years my biggest memory back then was listening to Jim Robson refer to him as "Little Bobby Lalonde!" And I heard his name often spoke in his broadcasts!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Unfortunately, fans buying 'game worn jerseys' when Bobby played just wasn't a thing.  There wasn't such thing as Ebay back then (let alone PC's) either.  It's going to be very unlikely that any fan has an authentic Lalonde jersey.  Some chance that the team might, somewhere, but also very unlikely.  I think that they're just going to have to get a replica jersey made.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Sativika said:

Heck. If I had a Bobby Lalonde jersey from back in the day, I'd be more than willing to give it up to them. For free even!

It obviously means a ton more to them than it would for someone like lil' old me. I mean in my early teen years my biggest memory back then was listening to Jim Robson refer to him as "Little Bobby Lalonde!" And I heard his name often spoke in his broadcasts!

Me too!

Can't understand those who wouldn't sell theirs to them...I mean come on. Let it go!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I'm a little curious why the Dad doesn't have any of his own old jerseys? Did he lose them in a move? Were they lost in a fire? Flood? Ravaged by time?

I've seen players like Smyl wear their old Canuck flying V's. Was it previous ownership that insisted on all jerseys gets returned to the team or something at years end?

(That would be being cheapskates)

If there's an emotional add to the story, that might convince owners to part with them. It sounds like the son has contacted owners of the jersey(s), but I agree those are probably very hard to find. If it was me, I'd just give it to him, in exchange for an autographed picture or signed hockey stick. (Doesn't have to be a vintage stick)

Edited by Ghostsof1915

50 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm a little curious why the Dad doesn't have any of his own old jerseys? Did he lose them in a move? Were they lost in a fire? Flood? Ravaged by time?

I've seen players like Smyl wear their old Canuck flying V's. Was it previous ownership that insisted on all jerseys gets returned to the team or something at years d?

(That would be being cheapskates)

If there's an emotional add to the story, that might convince owners to part with them. It sounds like the son has contacted owners of the jersey(s), but I agree those are probably very hard to find. If it was me, I'd just give it to him, in exchange for an autographed picture or signed hockey stick. (Doesn't have to be a vintage stick)

Sadly back then players didn’t make a lot of money and some of them end up having to part with rings and jerseys just to get by.

Or maybe he’s a charitable guy and gave them all away. Who knows?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine having a vintage Bobby Lalonde jersey and BOBBY LALONDE asks you for it?  And you say no?   🤣

I'm your biggest fan, but I'd still want $10000 from you for your jersey!

• Haha 1

Damn, I'd be shocked if such an item actually exists still in 2024.

Then again though, people do save the weirdest shit. My grandparents for some odd reason had almost 5 decades worth of Chatelaine Magazines just tucked away in their attic.. Just boxes of the fucking things! Unfortunately never was able to ask Gramps what the hell all that was all about.. I'm sure it was calculated though. 

There is a chance this jersey could still be out there I do suppose.. It just might sadly be tucked away in some attic stuffed in a box. 

Hopefully Bobby gets one of his jersey back!

Edited by Don Brodka Jr