[Article] Canucks’ Tyler Myers Has Milestones to Hit in 2023-24

RWJC

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've watched him play since day 1 on the Canucks.  If Benning had signed him to a reasonable contract, he would have been considered a serviceable D-man rather than an underperformer.  Myers has never matched his play to his contract.  Rasmus Ristolainen has the same problem even at 1 million less AAV. 

I'd blame the Sabres old coaches for those two if they both hadn't had their best years at the very start of their careers.

I think Muckler tried to turn him (Myers) into something he wasn't (Pronger) didn't he?.  That just isn't his "game".  He kind of "lucked" out in his rookie year when Ryan Miller played out of his mind (winning the Vezina).  A prospect isn't going to be too scared of making mistakes with he has a goalie that can bail him out.  Seems that is the current situation for Canucks forward prospect "Pod" (seems like he's too afraid to make a mistake on the ice & that negatively impacts his play). 

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think Muckler tried to turn him (Myers) into something he wasn't (Pronger) didn't he?.  That just isn't his "game".  He kind of "lucked" out in his rookie year when Ryan Miller played out of his mind (winning the Vezina).  A prospect isn't going to be too scared of making mistakes with he has a goalie that can bail him out.  Seems that is the current situation for Canucks forward prospect "Pod" (seems like he's too afraid to make a mistake on the ice & that negatively impacts his play). 

Muckler?  If you mean the old man (John), he still stayed and lived in Buffalo, even while working as an advisor for other clubs, until his dying day('21), but hadn't worked for the Sabres in years by the time Myers came on board.

I think Myers' first coach was Ron Rolston of the "Rolston Centipede" fame.

hertl3.png?_ga=2.173404071.582485537.151

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Muckler?  If you mean the old man (John), he still stayed and lived in Buffalo, even while working as an advisor for other clubs, until his dying day('21), but hadn't worked for the Sabres in years by the time Myers came on board.

What a great photo lol.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Mogilny wore out his welcome in Buffalo.  After healing from his 2nd leg break, he weirdly became a bit of a whiner.  John Muckler and Mogilny did not get along.  Peca and McKee became beloved in Buffalo afterwards. 

I was happy for Mogilny though when he did well in Vancouver and was very happy with his new home.

You're being too kind.  It was organizational incompetence through and through that caused this drought. 

Sucked way worse when it became obvious that Eichel was an underperming d-bag.  There was hope he'd become generational.  He didn't.  Though honestly he gets to thumb his nose at Sabres fans now that he has a cup too his name.  Can't argue with winning and he has something that untold thousands of Sabres fans went to the grave wanting just once.

I think Devon Levi is the real thing.  I'd like to see him earn his way into the starter position and have Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen become his backup.  As for the Sabres D, 3rd pairing and #7 could end up being a weakness this season.  I'd like to see an Olofsson trade possibly address that.  Olofsson has addressed the trade rumours more than once and has said that he doesn't want to be traded out of Buffalo and that he thinks his 2-way play has improved, but I'm skeptical.

When I left CDC, the JB apologists and rump kissers were still singing about how great of a GM he was.  Even though everyone else knew his days were numbered.  When the alert popped up on my phone that he was fired, I actually said out loud in the middle of the store I was in, "finally"!  That got me a few looks.

Winning and a 10-15% premium on contracts helps negate the US state tax stigma.  At least that's what GM's have said to The Athletic in the past.  Now that the Sabres are winning and there isn't much outside pressure on them, players are vocal about wanting to stay here. 

Teams like the reigning champs though will always have that no state tax advantage.  They have more cap space to work with because they can sign players to lesser contracts.

People have said it before, the Canucks are just bad enough to miss the playoffs, but just good enough to land outside of a prime draft spot.  Add to that, the worlds worst lottery luck, and it feels like the Canucks should start sacrificing goats to the hockey gods.

Here's a tidbit that hasn't made it loudly outside of Buffalo.  Many here think there's a chance that Pegula is looking for a local interest to sell the Sabres to.  His favourite toy has been the Bills since he bought them in 2014 and the Sabres have always lost him millions per season.  He recently shuttered the umbrella company that all of his Buffalo and Rochester sport clubs were under.

Personally I think he's just ending the costly changes and streamlining operations that his wife created since most things were pretty redundant and top heavy in their organizations.  He always let her do her thing to keep her happy.  But now that she's retired as a result of the stroke she suffered, he is going medieval on those changes and getting rid of her people left and right.

Truly do think good-great teams, are going to find it harder and harder to parlay their next core into another good-great one.   It took time for things to settle down after the cap, and some teams (Vancouver) went a little too close in the present, without a lot of foresight into what they'd do once the other shoe dropped. 

JB was selling himself, not reality.  JR's admitted he misjudged this market.   Not used to signing guys at 12% less tax margins (PIT).  Also recently said he gets why JB did some of the things he did too (not apologizing - and have no idea what he's referring to either).      Agree winning will solve some of that, especially a group who grows together sticking together.

And also agree, even with 32 teams, missing 11 years (and counting) is too long.     NYR set a cap era record so far.    Also feel luck plays into some of these things too.     At least they stopped the ridiculous lottery rules (which for sure came as a result of McDavid and Eichel's draft, but let's be real,  NJ and PIT were just as horny over Mario, if your bad, then the draft is supposed to help with that), but it sure was bad timing for the Canucks, and what bad luck lol.  Also not sure if it would have helped us.   Maybe no EP, but Makar or Heiskanen would have been great.   They passed on MT.   They had their shot at a top 3 consensus guy and looked the other way. 

Of course the playoff odds are a lot worse now then they were with a 21 or even 24 league team.   Mediocre teams used to get in all the time, occasionally a bad one too.   And some teams had magic runs.   2/3 of the league now would be 21 teams.  Exactly what they did with the playins.   Something I think they should bring back.   Right away.   It was a great success.   Reduce the season to 80 games, and share the play-in revenue with the league.  

The Naslund/Iginla/Sedin and soon to be Ovi/Crosby aged guys are long, recent and mostly retired now.    The next crop of guys don't seem as keen to sign 4-5 contracts, want 2-3.    And don't like the Canadian markets or high taxes.     It's affecting the structure they originally had post lockout for about a decade.   When RFA deals start to get bought out ...  Some likely will have to be. 

Won't be surprised to keep seeing low or no state tax teams in the final four. That's the 36.6-41.5%ish bracket.

Vegas/Tampa/Florida/Dallas lol, that's all of them but Tampa and SEA (no state tax), year before 3 out of 4 no state tax in the final four.    It's become too much of a trend to ignore.   Friedman pointed it out over a year ago, it's becoming more out in the open, i've been pointing it out for almost a decade now.   36.6-53% is too much of a variance.  

Can see why OTT is looking at WNP and CAL, and signing their guys to max deals off their ELC's, they won't be able to afford the high end UFAs, not at 53%, not a prime destination even with the winning (they were one OT goal away from the final...then a comedy of errors but smart enough to realize they were done and to pull the plug).   Brilliant really, trading away the farm on what could have been a really good team, before they were UFAs, getting what they could and locking them all in.   Sanderson seemed like a high risk reward.   They timed it well.   And predicted the market trends accurately.  You can bet nobody is looking at OTT and going "yippie" as a free agent.   Definitely moreso then, WNP though and sad state of affairs in CAL too.   Two years ago considered a contender.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

"Myers, you...will be the middle piece."

BD-HUMAN-CENTIPEDE.jpg?resize=1000,600&s

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1