[SIGNING] Arturs Silovs 2yrs in Vancouver

Signing is in the range I would have thought so that is nice to see. Was waiting for the Friedman or Seravelli " Vancouver wants to resign Arturs but it is going to be difficult " or " they want him back but it is going to be hard to make the dollars work, I just don't know if they can make it work " crap.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I think folks got way ahead of themselves because of a good story.  He posted average numbers in a short span and below average in his other audition.

He is still not an established NHL goalie, never mind a proven back up like DeSmith who has shown over a long stretch that he can play at that level.

I am glad they didn't pay for the "Story" and paid for the on ice product. 

True but he proved he could be the back goalie and his camp could have easily come in and said you want him to sign a multi year deal then we want a little extra especially for a 1way deal. He clearly had the trust over desmith in the end. I'm still surprised it wasn't 1m or a 1 year deal 900k at least. To each is own. But I think it's a steal not really just paying what he's worth. A 200K raise isnt really paying over the moon for his good story imo

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Silovs signed a one way deal, so he will be with the big club and be the backup next season.

One note is that Silovs is a UFA in the summer of 2027, so a two year deal was the only way to go really, anything longer would have taken him to UFA.

Now the question is what happens next summer.  Do they re-sign Demko to an 8x8 extension, or do they trade him and run with Silovs?  Or do they just run out Demko's contract and potentially lose him for nothing in the summer of 2026?

Will certainly be an interesting call.

Silovs shows a lot of promise but he kind of reminds me of Markstrom in the sense that he has a tendency to let in softies every now and then. It is clear that he can struggle with tracking pucks from the point, something the Oilers exploited in Game 7. Don't get me wrong - I think Silovs could well have a bright future, but I do think this is a concern as far as potentially handing him the #1 job in the future.

The Canucks now have about 1.5 seasons to figure out what they'll do in goal. I have to imagine Demko's health issues could be a significant factor. I think there is a good chance we might see the Canucks opt for Silovs as the #1 if he solidifies himself as a solid NHL goaltender this season. Having Patera and Tolopilo in the wings also gives the Canucks solid depth. Ty Young will be 21 next year so I assume he might graduate to Abbotsford by 2025-2026?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Remember all the cap concern, crying,and whining from the naysayers and media ... all the hundreds of emotionally charged posts ... all the players we wouldn't be able to keep ... and ... Silovs getting offer-sheeted. 

Some people really need to have faith in this management. We're looking pretty good. 

I love that we can bank cap space now too. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Silovs signed a one way deal, so he will be with the big club and be the backup next season.

One note is that Silovs is a UFA in the summer of 2027, so a two year deal was the only way to go really, anything longer would have taken him to UFA.

Now the question is what happens next summer.  Do they re-sign Demko to an 8x8 extension, or do they trade him and run with Silovs?  Or do they just run out Demko's contract and potentially lose him for nothing in the summer of 2026?

Do you know why he's a Ufa so soon? I thought when we draft a player we get them for 7 nhl seasons.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep that banked space will be as good as a trade. 

The team as constructed should be in the playoff contention by the TDL. Make a big move then, maybe it won't be on d, maybe it'll be another F, who knows, but at least they won't be handcuffed by having to move a contract first. 

Clearing Poolman's LTIR would help out a ton too. Send a couple players down and that would actually give us enough space to get a big time player if we wanted to. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Clearing Poolman's LTIR would help out a ton too. Send a couple players down and that would actually give us enough space to get a big time player if we wanted to. 

They must be working on that... I wonder what the ask will be? Now that we don't have any pain point for roster construction, it could be something like a 4th round pick I hope.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

They must be working on that... I wonder what the ask will be? Now that we don't have any pain point for roster construction, it could be something like a 4th round pick I hope.

Shouldn't be much more than that. Maybe a mid level prospect too for added incentive. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Perhaps I might be out to lunch or misunderstand, but wouldn't a team in cap hell want to trade for LTIR relief such as Las Vegas or even the Coilers? Maybe I am misunderstanding how Poolman and his 1 year remaining as a cheerleader has value a team would pay for rather than us attaching an asset to move.

• Cheers 1

Silov’s numbers certainly don’t jump off the page, so his AAV kind of makes sense. 

However, he’s shown he can get the job done in high pressure situations both for us and with Latvia.  That’s a very important trait. 

Hopefully he can take a step next year and get his save % up around .910

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Can you accrue cap space on LTIR (Poolman) or do we need to trade Poolman and actually have his 2.5m free to accrue cap space? 

I think I read somewhere LTIR doesn't accrue which means we would be best served dumping Poolman for a 3rd or a 4th so we have max dollars to spend at the deadline for a bonafide top 4 D and possibly a top 6 winger. Like what's 2.5M prorated to the TDL? Like 15m?

But I love that even with Poolman's salary counting, we have a full roster that is cap compliant. 

You can't accrue cap space if you are in LTIR.  That's the issue we had last year and why we needed to trade Kuzmenko's contract in order to fit Lindholm in.  We only were able to fit Zadorov because Soucy was injured...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

how do those two things connect?