[SIGNING] Arturs Silovs 2yrs in Vancouver

11 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

That’s a bargain! Wow! Great job PA!

He has less than 30 games played in the NHL.

What leverage did people think he had exactly? Hype doesn’t equal leverage.

This is exactly the deal most people should have expected. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Hope he gets lots of playing time next year to 1) rest Demko and 2) let him show us what he is made of.  Given the possibility of a future cap crunch it seems very possible he is our goalie of the future.

Agree with both those points.   As far as the goalie of the future, that would be incredibly fortunate for the Canucks.   Wasn't that long ago it was MD.  I don't have any expectations.   He's not Patrick Roy, or MAF, or Luongo or Lunqvist given what they were doing at the same age.  Hill in Vegas was a third string goalie.   It's not common, sure hope he makes the best of it,  liked that he didn't let any muffins in, and that he really gets into the games (Garth Snow did that too).   So not sure what to say.   How about let's wait and see.    I'd consider it a win if he can replace De-Smith and play more games. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He has less than 30 games played in the NHL.

What leverage did people think he had exactly? Hype doesn’t equal leverage.

This is exactly the deal most people should have expected. 

I know Silovs is an RFA so he doesn't have leverage. It wouldn't have been ludicrous to ask for what DesSmith got, he took over the backup job.

18 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

It was my max limit. 850k for 2 years, how wonderful is that 

Sorry, just to be clear, it's what he's earned to date, it was never going to be much more then that.   What an opportunity for him.  If he can establish himself as a back-up then he's sorted his career.   If he can win a number one spot, then expect good times ahead for him and our club.   And if he falls flat and needs more development, the opportunity costs go up given the trade incoming and the 100k in cap space goes away.     There are 64 spots.    Not many jobs for goalies in the NHL, and experience has taught me that they come and go year to year.   It's a modest risk high reward situation.   I'd give it 50/50 that we will need to use the cap space reserve to add a goalie.   Look at how things went with Martin.    We will end up  better than OTT did last year, with a sub .900 save percentage (both goalies) but the post season could be a ? mark.     He's got to clean that up still, to win a long term job.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

2 years 850? Witch craft? I thought a multi year deal would have been 1M! After the playoffs he had. That extra year low helps a ton next year! 

I think folks got way ahead of themselves because of a good story.  He posted average numbers in a short span and below average in his other audition.

He is still not an established NHL goalie, never mind a proven back up like DeSmith who has shown over a long stretch that he can play at that level.

I am glad they didn't pay for the "Story" and paid for the on ice product. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, LB28 said:

I know Silovs is an RFA so he doesn't have leverage. It wouldn't have been ludicrous to ask for what DesSmith got, he took over the backup job.

DeSmith had over 150 NHL games played thats the difference. His contract was a bargain.

Silvovs has to prove himself a couple more years before he gets anything more than a league min deal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

image.thumb.png.1646bc02da91aebf0653cd5e774816c9.png

Best move right now would be to unload Poolman's LTIR as a cap dump.  Would allow us to accrue cap and spend upwards of $12M at the TDL! 

Yes.  Soucy out allowed us to do things.    it sure how it goes to 12M...from 2.74 remaining?   Is that because we could have other teams retain?   

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.  Soucy out allowed us to do things.    it sure how it goes to 12M...from 2.74 remaining?   Is that because we could have other teams retain?   

It's the way the cap accrues.  Cap hits are on a daily basis, so a simple example would be if we acquired a player that had an annual cap hit of $1M at exactly the halfway point of the season, their projected cap hit for the remainder of the season will be $500k. 

The cap space grows exponentially because the formula is basically:

Projected Cap Space at Beginning of Year x (Number of Days in the Season / Days Remaining in Season)

Assumption is that cap space at the beginning of the season is maintained until the TDL. 

TDL is on March 6, 2025 this year.  At that point there are 42 days remaining in the season.

Full season is 195 days.

So $2.7M x (195/42) = $12.5Mish

Here's more info on how it's all calculated due to daily cap hits and accruals:

https://hockeycurious.substack.com/p/how-cap-space-actually-works

Edited by HKSR

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's too bad CapFriendly is gone, they actually calculated and projected TDL cap space.  This is a snapshot of the NYR back in Feb 2023... you'll notice the TDL cap space is higher because of the accrual and calculation of cap per day:

image.png.3d659c20afe012d37f5e9884c79e8298.png

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think folks got way ahead of themselves because of a good story.  He posted average numbers in a short span and below average in his other audition.

He is still not an established NHL goalie, never mind a proven back up like DeSmith who has shown over a long stretch that he can play at that level.

I am glad they didn't pay for the "Story" and paid for the on ice product. 

There is only one story.FO story.Period.

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wow, if this is truly $850k x 2, Allvin deserves a lot of praise.  That's well below market value IMO... and 2 years too??  WOW.

Another great signing and contract. We're truly fortunate to have such a competent management team after so many years of mismanagement, incompetence, and country club.

• Like 2