[SIGNING] Arturs Silovs 2yrs in Vancouver

Silovs signed a one way deal, so he will be with the big club and be the backup next season.

One note is that Silovs is a UFA in the summer of 2027, so a two year deal was the only way to go really, anything longer would have taken him to UFA.

Now the question is what happens next summer.  Do they re-sign Demko to an 8x8 extension, or do they trade him and run with Silovs?  Or do they just run out Demko's contract and potentially lose him for nothing in the summer of 2026?

Edited by Elias Pettersson

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Amazing work by Allvin.  Man this management group is elite.  I'd be shocked if we can't win a Cup with this core of players and this management and coaching group.  All world class.

Benning going 5x5 on Demko over Markstrom was a bit of a gamble at the time but that contract (and faith in Demko) is looking pretty good.

35 minutes ago, 24K said:

Obviously one taco among the A+.

Haha I thought that too!  (so I looked it up)

Lack’s numbers over two years (41 games each year) with us are fantastic - .912 and .921 save percentages and around 2.41 and 2.45 GAA.  Probably just goes to show how good Clark is.

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.  Soucy out allowed us to do things.    it sure how it goes to 12M...from 2.74 remaining?   Is that because we could have other teams retain?   

Cap is accrued, so the longer the season goes the more cap you accrue.  If a contract is $2 million in October, then in March the accrued value is $12 million, meaning you can trade for a $12 million contract in March if you have $2 million in cap space built up and untouched from October. 

@HKSR is an accountant so I think he explained it better.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Not used to some actual flexibility.  The can probably find a way to get a little closer to maximizing Poolman's full LTIR, or this is the time to move it out to allow them to accrue space.  If we could do it for a 4th round pick it would definitely be worth it... the top three rounds is where almost all NHLers come from, and the later ones are really fairly valueless.  You can find waiver wire, Euro, unrestricted players for those contract spots that have more chance of making the NHL.

They can also sign another player for between $5 million and just run with a 21-22 man roster.  Take away the $2.5 million from bumping out the three bottom roster players (takes you down to 20 roster players), add the $2.5 million for the LTIR space... and add a $5 million player to bring your roster back up to 21 players.

That is cutting things really close and making short term call ups difficult, but you can probably find a cost controlled upgrade to the top four D for under $5 million if you trade Hoglander as part of a package.

If you decided that Heinen can do what Garland can, but for cheaper.. then that means you have close to $10 million in cap space to work with.  I don't think it would be hard to move Garland coming off a great season.

If something presents itself later in the summer when teams are trying to sort out their cap and rosters, we have the ability to make moves.  It is also likely that they don't need to force it and are willing to go into the season with this roster and then assess after the first month or two and then pull the trigger.

• Like 1

Hope Silovs continues where he left off. 

Being a full time back in NHL is a different skill. Casey was excellent coming in after long rests and won many pts for the team. 

If they want to keep Demko fresh and injury free to start the playoffs, Silovs needs to be good. Coach already trusts him in big games, so that's a good start. 

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Silovs signed a one way deal, so he will be with the big club and be the backup next season.

One note is that Silovs is a UFA in the summer of 2027, so a two year deal was the only way to go really, anything longer would have taken him to UFA.

Now the question is what happens next summer.  Do they re-sign Demko to an 8x8 extension, or do they trade him and run with Silovs?  Or do they just run out Demko's contract and potentially lose him for nothing in the summer of 2026?

One way deal has nothing to do with which club he plays for, but I agree that he’ll be backup next season.

personally I think they have to resign Demko. Silovs isn’t ready to run as a starter, and I don’t think he’ll be quite there by next year either.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, HKSR said:

image.thumb.png.1646bc02da91aebf0653cd5e774816c9.png

Best move right now would be to unload Poolman's LTIR as a cap dump.  Would allow us to accrue cap and spend upwards of $12M at the TDL! 

Thanks for the leg work, accruing the tdl cap room would be huge as it would be ideal to add another higher end D man for the stretch run assuming the season is going well.

• Jess pinned and featured this topic
4 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

One way deal has nothing to do with which club he plays for, but I agree that he’ll be backup next season.

personally I think they have to resign Demko. Silovs isn’t ready to run as a starter, and I don’t think he’ll be quite there by next year either.

Sure it does, they aren't going to pay Silovs $850k to play in Abby...

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He has less than 30 games played in the NHL.

What leverage did people think he had exactly? Hype doesn’t equal leverage.

This is exactly the deal most people should have expected. 

The deal gives arty a chance to actually grow into a starter too. 

And we get to bank cap space.

Excellent all around.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure it does, they aren't going to pay Silovs $850k to play in Abby...

He will get some games in there for sure. He's still waiver exempt so I'd expect to see him down there a few times depending on how the schedule shakes out.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

He will get some games in there for sure. He's still waiver exempt so I'd expect to see him down there a few times depending on how the schedule shakes out.

He will be our backup.  Not sure why we would send him down, we don't have a solid veteran in Abby.  Jiri Patera has played less NHL games than Silovs...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He will be our backup.  Not sure why we would send him down, we don't have a solid veteran in Abby.  Jiri Patera has played less NHL games than Silovs...

He'd go down just for the reps. 40 games vs 30.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He'd go down just for the reps. 40 games vs 30.

Sure, but who is coming up?  Petera?  Petera would have to be put on waivers every time he's up and down.  Makes no sense.  I think Silovs will get a minimum of 25 games next season, maybe 30.  Chances are that Demko is injured as well.  So he might get even more, who knows...

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, but who is coming up?  Petera?  Petera would have to be put on waivers every time he's up and down.  Makes no sense.  I think Silovs will get a minimum of 25 games next season, maybe 30.  Chances are that Demko is injured as well.  So he might get even more, who knows...

Assuming Silovs is performing I would expect around 30 starts.  No need to overwork Demko.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

Me too. Just think what Clarke could have done with Martin Brochu.

he only missed him by one year. 

unfortunately, clark wasn't able to do too much with dan cloutier, alex auld, peter skudra, tyler moss, johan hedberg, rob mcvicar, maxime ouellette, mika noronen, dany sabourin, curtis sanford, drew macintyre, jason labarbera, or andrew raycroft when given the opportunity. 

the guy is hellofa goalie coach, but he couldn't keep those corpses from filling up the cemetery. 

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, but who is coming up?  Petera?  Petera would have to be put on waivers every time he's up and down.  Makes no sense.

Would he? I thought after he clears at the start of the year he could be recalled for up to 10 games without risk of that?

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Silovs will get a minimum of 25 games next season, maybe 30.  Chances are that Demko is injured as well.  So he might get even more, who knows...

Yep could go that way too.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cap is accrued, so the longer the season goes the more cap you accrue.  If a contract is $2 million in October, then in March the accrued value is $12 million, meaning you can trade for a $12 million contract in March if you have $2 million in cap space built up and untouched from October. 

@HKSR is an accountant so I think he explained it better.

Can you accrue cap space on LTIR (Poolman) or do we need to trade Poolman and actually have his 2.5m free to accrue cap space? 

I think I read somewhere LTIR doesn't accrue which means we would be best served dumping Poolman for a 3rd or a 4th so we have max dollars to spend at the deadline for a bonafide top 4 D and possibly a top 6 winger. Like what's 2.5M prorated to the TDL? Like 15m?

But I love that even with Poolman's salary counting, we have a full roster that is cap compliant. 

Considering he and his agent didn’t respond to the QO this cap hit is remarkably good. It’s an unusual feeling to have management we can trust. If we can stay under the cap with Poolman’s ltir and accumulate more space, we could land a big fish (#3 puck-moving D) to make a deep playoff run. So excited after years of disappointment. Now we need a healthy Demko, an improved PP, Petey to be his old self, and DeBrusk to gel with Petey. Cue the parade.

Love it. 

I know his postseason numbers don't really jump off the screen, but we all saw how he did against the eye-test. He was the better of two goaltenders in more than a few games, and his talent is pretty evident. I'm not 100% positive he is destined to be a NHL starter, but he is destined to be an NHL goaltender imo. 

One thing I'll say, for any non-goalie guys on here... next season, really pay attention to Arturs' legs. He is bizarrely flexible.

Like, all goalies are obviously somewhat flexible... but that is a true separating quality that he possesses. The way he leaps back to his feet from the full-splits is incredible; reminds me of a young Miikka Kiprusoff or Marty Brodeur.

I'm happy 🙂

• Upvote 1