[SIGNING] Arturs Silovs 2yrs in Vancouver

54 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Perhaps I might be out to lunch or misunderstand, but wouldn't a team in cap hell want to trade for LTIR relief such as Las Vegas or even the Coilers? Maybe I am misunderstanding how Poolman and his 1 year remaining as a cheerleader has value a team would pay for rather than us attaching an asset to move.

Trading an LTIR contract only works if the other team is over the cap and wants to be cap compliant.  However, they would also have to trade us a contract of similar value.  So the receiving team would need the cap space to do this.

For example, we trade Poolman to Edmonton.  They would then need to trade us a player who makes around $2.5 million.  So they trade us Kulak.  Edmonton is now in LTIR and cap compliant.  However, we just took on Kulak's contract of $2.75 million, so now we are fooked as we are over the cap.  Makes sense?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rocket-68 said:

Perhaps I might be out to lunch or misunderstand, but wouldn't a team in cap hell want to trade for LTIR relief such as Las Vegas or even the Coilers? Maybe I am misunderstanding how Poolman and his 1 year remaining as a cheerleader has value a team would pay for rather than us attaching an asset to move.

I don't know if it helps that way, I think it's more beneficial or at least neutral to a cap floor team

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trading an LTIR contract only works if the other team is over the cap and wants to be cap compliant.  However, they would also have to trade us a contract of similar value.  So the receiving team would need the cap space to do this.

For example, we trade Poolman to Edmonton.  They would then need to trade us a player who makes around $2.5 million.  So they trade us Kulak.  Edmonton is now in LTIR and cap compliant.  However, we just took on Kulak's contract of $2.75 million, so now we are fooked as we are over the cap.  Makes sense?

Thank you and yes it does. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can't accrue cap space if you are in LTIR.  That's the issue we had last year and why we needed to trade Kuzmenko's contract in order to fit Lindholm in.  We only were able to fit Zadorov because Soucy was injured...

Hmm

At this point, what is it worth to trade Poolman and get him off our books? Sooner the better I guess.

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Hmm

At this point, what is it worth to trade Poolman and get him off our books? Sooner the better I guess.

Trade him to a bottom feeder for a draft pick.  Chicago isn't really a feeder now though.  Neither is Utah.  San Jose maybe?  Anaheim?

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can't accrue cap space if you are in LTIR.  That's the issue we had last year and why we needed to trade Kuzmenko's contract in order to fit Lindholm in.  We only were able to fit Zadorov because Soucy was injured...

We're good right now.  Even with Poolman's cap hit we are under $88m, so we would accrue.

We could afford a player with a cap hit of around $700k at the TDL!  Gamebreaker time! Lol

Edited by HKSR
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We're good right now.  Even with Poolman's cap hit we are under $88m, so we would accrue.

Yes.  But we may be looking to upgrade the roster at the beginning of the year, not waiting until all the way to the deadline.  Moving Poolman would allow us to do that...

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren't paying Silovs $850k to play in Abby.  He was signed to a one way deal to be the backup.  Petera and Tolopilo will be in Abby and Petera is the emergency callup...

why not? that hardly breaks the bank, even for an ahl salary, when he's the best player on the team and a top prospect. 

he'll compete for the role and if he looks consistently good he'll get the opportunity for sure, but his spot is far from guaranteed. 

3 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

True but he proved he could be the back goalie and his camp could have easily come in and said you want him to sign a multi year deal then we want a little extra especially for a 1way deal. He clearly had the trust over desmith in the end. I'm still surprised it wasn't 1m or a 1 year deal 900k at least. To each is own. But I think it's a steal not really just paying what he's worth. A 200K raise isnt really paying over the moon for his good story imo

Silovs will make a lot more money next season because he's on a 1-way contract.  He'll get $800 base + $100 signing bonus, total $900,000

Last year, he played 4 NHL games (775 x 4/82 = 37,805) + his AHL salary (70,000 x 68/72 = 66,111) total $ 103,916

I don't think they get paid extra for playoff games and he may have been called up but didn't play, I don't remember, but you get the picture.  It's a nice raise.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Remember all the cap concern, crying,and whining from the naysayers and media ... all the hundreds of emotionally charged posts ... all the players we wouldn't be able to keep ... and ... Silovs getting offer-sheeted. 

Some people really need to have faith in this management. We're looking pretty good. 

What a weird take when we literally lost a top four D and a top six forward due to the valid cap worries folks were pointing out.

We added bottom end depth and lost higher end players.  We didn’t keep everyone, and are worse on paper compared with the roster we went into the playoffs with.

Forbort and Desharnais are a substantial downgrade from Zadorov and Cole

Debrusk is a downgrade from Lindholm.

Heinen and Mikheyev are pretty much a wash.  Sherwood “should” do better than Lafferty.

Our “hope” is someone who has been a 3rd or 4th liner can become a top liner.

Our “hope” is that Myers doesn’t Myers and can be a reliable top four guy.

There is plenty to give folks pause and I think there is another move or two that will happen before Christmas to solidify things.

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  But we may be looking to upgrade the roster at the beginning of the year, not waiting until all the way to the deadline.  Moving Poolman would allow us to do that...

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm totally on board the move Poolman train.  It's the next best move for the Canucks IMO 

• Cheers 1

Honestly I'm not a fan. He played really well for us. MGMT squeezed him hopefully he doesn't squeeze back on his next deal. I thought 1.2m would have been more than fair for both sides and make it harder to send him down.

Was nice of him to sign and not take an offer sheet.

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

What a weird take when we literally lost a top four D and a top six forward due to the valid cap worries folks were pointing out.

We added bottom end depth and lost higher end players.  We didn’t keep everyone, and are worse on paper compared with the roster we went into the playoffs with.

Heinen and Mikheyev are pretty much a wash.  Sherwood “should” do better than Lafferty.

There is plenty to give folks pause and I think there is another move or two that will happen before Christmas to solidify things.

I'd agree with this, but at the same time, we're pretty even with the team that started last season. If we're able to time it right with injuries at the trade deadline, and pull in some top talent from tanking teams aka Vegas Knights Plan 101, we could potentially load up and make another solid run. Or who knows, maybe some of the up-and-coming talent will be enough to give us the depth we need to go the distance without trades near the deadline. Either way, with a full year of the boys now used to RT's coaching system, we should have a very solid year to put us into a playoff position... it's hard not to be excited by that prospect.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

why not? that hardly breaks the bank, even for an ahl salary, when he's the best player on the team and a top prospect. 

he'll compete for the role and if he looks consistently good he'll get the opportunity for sure, but his spot is far from guaranteed. 

I guess it’s technically possible. Petera has played less NHL games than Silovs. So I doubt he beats him for the backup job. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True but we also may want to see what we've got before we decide what we most need.  Once again there are a number of new faces and some youngsters who could (though maybe not likely) pop.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Provost said:

Heinen is miles better than Mikheyev. Desharnais played better in the playoffs than Cole. Cole was horrible. Sherwood is better than Lafferty. Debrusk is underrated and will be better for our system than Lindholm who was playing as a 3C. The only big difference IMO opinion is Zadorov and Forbort. 

IMO, we should still be looking for a top 4 LHD. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Heinen is miles better than Mikheyev. Desharnais played better in the playoffs than Cole. Cole was horrible. Sherwood is better than Lafferty. Debrusk is underrated and will be better for our system than Lindholm who was playing as a 3C. The only big difference IMO opinion is Zadorov and Forbort. 

IMO, we should still be looking for a top 4 LHD. 

On virtually no historic metric is Heinen better than Mikheyev they are pretty similar players even stylistically.

Speedy third lines guys who are solid defensively and can be relied on for a little bit of production and 30-35 points.  Mikheyev is a little bigger, Heinen is a little more physical.  Mikheyev averages more points.

The “hope” is that he finds a chemistry fit where Mikheyev didn’t.  He has always been a 3rd or 4th liner and it seems like he may get pencilled in higher than that.

Cole got the team to the playoffs and was tremendously better than Desharnais all season long.  He was excellent in the Nashville series before getting hurt early in the Edmonton series.  There is a reason the market valued Cole at much more than Deharnais who is clearly a bottom pairing guy.

There is nothing to suggest that Sherwood is better than Lafferty except for again, “hope” that he finds some chemistry.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren't paying Silovs $850k to play in Abby.  He was signed to a one way deal to be the backup.  Petera and Tolopilo will be in Abby and Petera is the emergency callup...

So, I presume signing Arty negates the need to acquire a legit backup, right?  Petera's acquisition pretty much was that move I'm guessing. Management planned for Arty to be Demmer's full-time backup all along. Seemingly all is going according to plan!

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I'd agree with this, but at the same time, we're pretty even with the team that started last season. If we're able to time it right with injuries at the trade deadline, and pull in some top talent from tanking teams aka Vegas Knights Plan 101, we could potentially load up and make another solid run. Or who knows, maybe some of the up-and-coming talent will be enough to give us the depth we need to go the distance without trades near the deadline. Either way, with a full year of the boys now used to RT's coaching system, we should have a very solid year to put us into a playoff position... it's hard not to be excited by that prospect.

My thoughts pretty much echo most of the bolded comments above. True, we're not as strong at last season's end; obviously losing Zadz and Lindholm was a blow.

As it was last off season, we free agent shopped and did so again this off season; acquiring pieces to keep the momentum going. With a full year and some with RT and Co., our boys are better prepared to know what to expect and are gonna be willing to work hard.

The newbies should fit in just fine. The HOF coaches will see to that. I think all the newbies are stoked to be here in the Canuck organization and are itching to get it started. 

I realize there's much to do regarding a seeming need for a puck moving Dman. A scoring winger?!?!??? Perhaps. A lot depends on DeBrusk and his integration with Petey; where the other newly acquired forwards will be in the lineup and their effectiveness regarding offence. 

I'm sure JR/PA will make adjustments as the new season rolls along; see what tweaks are needed and such. Sadly, it's my belief that Hogz or Podz might not be Canucks........................Aroo.............

• Cheers 1