[SIGNING] Arturs Silovs 2yrs in Vancouver

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Never mind. I was thinking of re-entry waivers.  That was eliminated in 2013. 

I'm really only thinking of maybe a few games if the schedule allows it. Since Silovs is exempt. I have no idea if the schedule.males it possible.... Maybe during that four nations thing? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Honestly I'm not a fan. He played really well for us. MGMT squeezed him hopefully he doesn't squeeze back on his next deal. I thought 1.2m would have been more than fair for both sides and make it harder to send him down.

Was nice of him to sign and not take an offer sheet.

Honestly, Silovs has 19 NHL games played including the 10 he played in the Playoffs.  That and a 10 game show he put on at the Worlds in 22-23 to help Latvia to a bronze medal earned him the back up job for the Canucks next year.  It's a pretty small sample size by any standard and if there's criticism of Allvin over this it should be for relying on a relatively unproven player as back up.

Now, of course we all think that Silovs is going to be a player but he does have some things to work out like tracking the puck from distance and stopping high point shots.  But he's been given a 1-way contract and will be making about $800k more than he did last year.  I doubt he's feeling squeezed in the least.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Solid signing,he’ll bring it imo hopefully Thatch can stay healthy that is the question but I think Silovs is a solid backup at the cap he’s at

9 hours ago, The Duke said:

Benning going 5x5 on Demko over Markstrom was a bit of a gamble at the time but that contract (and faith in Demko) is looking pretty good.

Demko is a bit up in the air for me atm.

He's becoming very injury prone lately. We may end up relying on Silovs a lot more if this persists (or may end up diving into the goalie market earlier than expected). 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

He's becoming very injury prone lately. We may end up relying on Silovs a lot more if this persists (or may end up diving into the goalie market earlier than expected). 

I love Demko 

i think he has shown enough times that his high end talent when healthy is 2nd only to Luongo in franchise history 

that being said 

he is one significant injury away from being totally labeled as injury prone 

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Honestly, Silovs has 19 NHL games played including the 10 he played in the Playoffs.  That and a 10 game show he put on at the Worlds in 22-23 to help Latvia to a bronze medal earned him the back up job for the Canucks next year.  It's a pretty small sample size by any standard and if there's criticism of Allvin over this it should be for relying on a relatively unproven player as back up.

Now, of course we all think that Silovs is going to be a player but he does have some things to work out like tracking the puck from distance and stopping high point shots.  But he's been given a 1-way contract and will be making about $800k more than he did last year.  I doubt he's feeling squeezed in the least.

Demko only played 10 NHL games before becoming Markstrom's backup.  So, Silovs has way more experience than Demko did, especially considering he's actually played more playoffs games than Demko, on top of being the best PLAYER at the World Championships.

Silovs will be fine playing 25-30 games next season and may even break out into a star goalie...

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko only played 10 NHL games before becoming Markstrom's backup.  So, Silovs has way more experience than Demko did, especially considering he's actually played more playoffs games than Demko, on top of being the best PLAYER at the World Championships.

Silovs will be fine playing 25-30 games next season and may even break out into a star goalie...

Just to add ...

He actually had two stellar back-to-back World Championships, took over from NHL starter and countryman Elvis Merzlikins and was the story in 2022 as well at the age of 21. He was tracking elite numbers in that tourney too.

It's obvious he's ready to take the next step. Will be even better under Ian Clark at this level. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Guntrix said:

Yeah. After I wrote that, I had the thought… but I’m happy enough it wasn’t a longer deal. 

It could still turn out to be a burden, for sure.  But when healthy, Demko has still been fabulous. Up to coaches (and Silovs) to keep him in one piece for the playoffs while still making the playoffs.

World Championships isn't the NHL grind.

In the NHL playoffs he had a 2.91 goals against, and an .898% save percentage.

In the AHL he had a 2.74 GAA, and .907% save percentage.

I'm hoping he continues to improve, he is only 23. It would be great if he can play 30 games as a backup.

10 hours ago, Provost said:

What a weird take when we literally lost a top four D and a top six forward due to the valid cap worries folks were pointing out.

We added bottom end depth and lost higher end players.  We didn’t keep everyone, and are worse on paper compared with the roster we went into the playoffs with.

Forbort and Desharnais are a substantial downgrade from Zadorov and Cole

Debrusk is a downgrade from Lindholm.

Heinen and Mikheyev are pretty much a wash.  Sherwood “should” do better than Lafferty.

Our “hope” is someone who has been a 3rd or 4th liner can become a top liner.

Our “hope” is that Myers doesn’t Myers and can be a reliable top four guy.

There is plenty to give folks pause and I think there is another move or two that will happen before Christmas to solidify things.

The real question is this a better roster than the one we had to start last season. 

How in the world were we going  to fit all those guys under the cap?    Someone needed to go.    Can't complain about any of the cap hits for players we did keep.    Funny, if you watch other markets media's they love what we did (re-signing our own free agents, and the deals  we did sign).     Our team is grittier, and improved our PKers.    De-Brusk right now isn't Lindholm,  but that deal won't age as well as the one we signed with him.    3 years younger is it?   

Wanted both Zadarov and Lindholm, so did Allvin, but not at any price.    The back-up plan so far is aces.   And it seems one metric Allvin uses is, has his max and if it doesn't work then won't sign the players.   That's a good precedent to set.   Trading Horvat was too.    Because Brock is more important to the fanbase and the team, same as it was with Miller and EP, and in a few short years,  QHs and Demko.     The teams going to have to be lean on few fat contracts until then.   OEL.     They have a plan and it's easy to see.   Lekkermaki is the final top six forward.     Willander a Myers replacement.  

I'd call Desharnais and Cole a wash BTW.   Desharnais was an excellent PKer for EDM.   And Cole truly had a tough time keeping up the longer the season went.   Obviously Forbot is  huge downgrade on Z.    Wanted him more than any of the other guys.   Desharnais at least replaces some of Z's intangibles (size).     

This is going to continue to happen to our team, the more success we have.    Guys get raises when they are up (EP, Hronek, Joshua) and  some we won't be able to keep.   

The viewpoint I take is,  do we have a better roster then the one we started with last year.    Forbot and Desharnais versus Cole and Irwin.   Debrusk, Heinen, Sherwood versus Mikheyev, Kuzmenko and Lafferty. Compare those cap hits.    IMO we got a lot tougher to play against and didn't add or lose any goals for or against.  

Watched an hour long video from a TO market, they were stoked Debrusk signed out west.     And drool over Garland, Joshua and the nasty, edgy guys we added and already had, Sherwood, Forbot, Joshua, Garland, Heinen,  Desharnais.     They also feel that we might be the only team in the league that is creating a team around a coach rather than a set of players.    And love it.   Tochett did say at the presser when asked if he has a wish list for Allvin, as far as free agents go, and laughed, cracked a joke, then said yes and that it's a short list.   

We lost big Z and that was a big blow.   However we didn't bung up our cap!    Not one bit.   And De-Brusk IMO, was at least on par with Hyman when he signed in EDM as far as the player goes.    A similar player,  swiss army knife, whatever line he's on gets a boost but does all the other things as well.   Believe whole heartedly, De-Brusk's deal is going to age a lot better than Lindholms will.   Yes also believe Lindholm is the better player right now.       

EP and De-Brusk are the only long term players we currently have under contract.    This core is going to be re-signed and they are building around that.

Tochetts low event meet pressure with pressure, be in great shape hockey is refreshing.    And it's exactly the right coach and GM, at the right time.    Allvin's made some mistakes but is quick to fix them.  

Edit:  One other thing.   TO market said that we are making moves for improving in the post season.   Not the regular season, they believe, and maybe we should too, that we are a slam dunk playoff roster.    Fully expect Allvin will accrue cap space, and then use it during the season when an injury occurs like he did with Soucy,  and also believe he's going to make some trades whether or not injuries occur.     And like last year, expect he won't wait for the action to start, but create his own action.   It's sure nice to have a GM who acts on a plan, rather than re-acting and all over the place.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The real question is this a better roster than the one we had to start last season. 

How in the world were we going  to fit all those guys under the cap?    Someone needed to go.    Can't complain about any of the cap hits for players we did keep.    Funny, if you watch other markets media's they love what we did (re-signing our own free agents, and the deals  we did sign).     Our team is grittier, and improved our PKers.    De-Brusk right now isn't Lindholm,  but that deal won't age as well as the one we signed with him.    3 years younger is it?   

Wanted both Zadarov and Lindholm, so did Allvin, but not at any price.    The back-up plan so far is aces.   And it seems one metric Allvin uses is, has his max and if it doesn't work then won't sign the players.   That's a good precedent to set.   Trading Horvat was too.    Because Brock is more important to the fanbase and the team, same as it was with Miller and EP, and in a few short years,  QHs and Demko.     The teams going to have to be lean on few fat contracts until then.   OEL.     They have a plan and it's easy to see.   Lekkermaki is the final top six forward.     Willander a Myers replacement.  

Except for fat uncle Frank. I think CA keeps putting this jackass on to pump up the rivalry with Edmonton as he really has nothing of value to say about us other than he likes Edmonton better.

• Cheers 1

I'd still try to sign an experienced vet (Martin Jones) and pencil him in for Abbotsford. Obviously no game breaker and bit of a journeyman, but would be some form of insurance in case of injury. Another long time pro in Abby to influence some of the kids wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Do that and trade Poolman's contract and I'd say we're ready for camp. I do think we will be harder to play against than at the start of last season. I also believe this roster construction leaves the door open for some of the young 'uns to make the jump, if any single one of them starts looking like they've taken another step. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

How in the world were we going  to fit all those guys under the cap?    Someone needed to go.  

That wasn’t the question at all.

The poster made some weird “victory lap” comment about how folks who were full of doom and gloom said we couldn’t re-sign everyone because of cap were wrong.

We didn’t re-sign everyone we wanted due to cap room.  That is simply fact, and the poster was crowing about something they were simply lying about.

The rest of your post goes in to say that we lost players.

Allvin said that Zadorov and Lindholm were players they wanted to keep.  We traded an entire draft class to get them last year in order to fill holes and needs on the roster.

No one should care about pre-season.  They should care about playoffs.  Our team wasn’t good enough even with those expensive additions that we lost in free agency (players that had huge roles in winning us playoff games).

So far we are going into the next season with the same holes we needed to fill last year.  

We ended last season still needing a top six forward and a top four D.  So far.m, we are going into next season still needing a top six forward and now two top four D.

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

That wasn’t the question at all.

The poster made some weird “victory lap” comment about how folks who were full of doom and gloom said we couldn’t re-sign everyone because of cap were wrong.

We didn’t re-sign everyone we wanted due to cap room.  That is simply fact, and the poster was crowing about something they were simply lying about.

The rest of your post goes in to say that we lost players.

Allvin said that Zadorov and Lindholm were players they wanted to keep.  We traded an entire draft class to get them last year in order to fill holes and needs on the roster.

No one should care about pre-season.  They should care about playoffs.  Our team wasn’t good enough even with those expensive additions that we lost in free agency (players that had huge roles in winning us playoff games).

So far we are going into the next season with the same holes we needed to fill last year.  

We ended last season still needing a top six forward and a top four D.  So far.m, we are going into next season still needing a top six forward and now two top four D.

Yeah I learned my lesson last year about pre-season. I admit I was freaking out that Vancouver looked that bad. Then the regular season started and Vancouver stormed out of the gate. I think that will be harder to do this year, because teams will be more ready for us. But Vancouver I think is going to be a real pain to play against. It would be great that Vancouver develops a strong start every season, but maintains it's speed, yet keeping everyone as healthy as they can for the playoffs.

9 hours ago, canucks curse said:

I love Demko 

i think he has shown enough times that his high end talent when healthy is 2nd only to Luongo in franchise history 

that being said 

he is one significant injury away from being totally labeled as injury prone 

It could be argued that Demko is already injury prone and one injury away from his career being over. Hip, knee, groin, concussion, he's had them all, no? He came back too early last year with his knee and injured something in his knee again. IMO, Demko needs to not only rehab his joints but also start building major muscle to help keep everything in place like MAF did to help him have such a long career. He also needs to work out his mental game and realize that just because he wants to play every game (admirable) doesn't mean he should be playing every game. He and IC need to plan out the year better to not overwork the body. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah I learned my lesson last year about pre-season. I admit I was freaking out that Vancouver looked that bad. Then the regular season started and Vancouver stormed out of the gate. I think that will be harder to do this year, because teams will be more ready for us. But Vancouver I think is going to be a real pain to play against. It would be great that Vancouver develops a strong start every season, but maintains it's speed, yet keeping everyone as healthy as they can for the playoffs.

I don’t think the sky is falling at all.  That hot start was the difference between us battling for a wildcard spot and being near the top of the league.  The rest of the season was much more as expected.  Once Soucy got hurt we were under .500 until we picked up Zadorov.

My expectations right now are back to us probably back to a middle of the pack team.  This was always going to be a hard season with big raises due, increasing dead cap, and likely no significant cheap help coming from the farm until at least 2025/26.

We can hope a new guy or someone from the farm overproduces.  We can also hope that all the guys who had amazing years last year can repeat that production.  I don’t know that you can count on all of Miller, Boeser, Joshua, Garland, Hughes, Hoglander to maintain last year’s pace… never mind improve on it.

We also have some cap flexibility and still have a bullet or two in the chamber for making moves between now and Christmas depending on how things go and what deals are available.  

We have plenty of depth, so if we could turn Garland/Hoglander/Podkolzin (plus whatever futures) into a legit top six forward and/or top four D, the team is much stronger.  It also leaves a space in the bottom half of the roster for a prospect to make the leap where we just don’t have a spot for them right now.  I think Karlsson is probably ready for a bottom six role, I also think Juulsen is ready to be a #6 if he is paired with an experienced veteran.

If Heinen fills fills Garland’s production for less money… we could create enough cap space to fit nearly any player we wanted to add ($9-10 million).  The deal has to be there though.

There are teams over the cap and there are teams who have issues with specific players that are still needing to be sorted out (Necas and Trouba being always in the news).  Maybe a deal presents itself and we for once have the ability to be in on it.

Edited by Provost

More math and a possible scenario for the Canucks this season:

Before Season Starts:  Trade Poolman LTIR as a cap dump.  This is probably the most important thing to do right now.

November 30, 2024:  Canucks make a trade for an upgrade on defence by trading away Forbort in the deal.  The defenceman in return is Adam Larsson (or equivalent) with a cap hit of $4,000,000.  This leaves cap space of $1.3M to accrue until the TDL.

March 6, 2025 (TDL):  Canucks have now accrued $4.3M in cap space (from the $1.3M remaining since Nov 30th) to be used since November 30th.  Canucks acquire an upgrade in their top 6 by acquiring Frank Vatrano with $1M retained (cap hit of $2.65M). 

$1.65M remains to find a replacement 3rd pair LHD.

Canucks Roster for the Playoffs

Vatrano-Petey-Debrusk

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Larsson

3LHD-Myers

Deshairnais

Juulsen

TLDR:  Just pointing out how quickly things can transform over the course of the season with making trades at the right time (early and at the TDL) to maximize the use of accruing cap space.  I don't think anybody can tell me that the lineup above is not significantly deeper and stronger than last year's playoff roster.

Edit:  If Desharnais is traded instead of Forbort, the cap space at the TDL will be even higher. 

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Between him and Patera it’s crucial they cover at least 30 games for Demko.

No way Demko needs to be starting anywhere close to 60 this season.

If we happen to be in a division race with Edmonton let them have it. Winning the division is far less important than having a healthy rested Demko.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t think the sky is falling at all.  That hot start was the difference between us battling for a wildcard spot and being near the top of the league.  The rest of the season was much more as expected.  Once Soucy got hurt we were under .500 until we picked up Zadorov.

My expectations right now are back to us probably back to a middle of the pack team.  This was always going to be a hard season with big raises due, increasing dead cap, and likely no significant cheap help coming from the farm until at least 2025/26.

We can hope a new guy or someone from the farm overproduces.  We can also hope that all the guys who had amazing years last year can repeat that production.  I don’t know that you can count on all of Miller, Boeser, Joshua, Garland, Hughes, Hoglander to maintain last year’s pace… never mind improve on it.

We also have some cap flexibility and still have a bullet or two in the chamber for making moves between now and Christmas depending on how things go and what deals are available.  

We have plenty of depth, so if we could turn Garland/Hoglander/Podkolzin (plus whatever futures) into a legit top six forward and/or top four D, the team is much stronger.  It also leaves a space in the bottom half of the roster for a prospect to make the leap where we just don’t have a spot for them right now.  I think Karlsson is probably ready for a bottom six role, I also think Juulsen is ready to be a #6 if he is paired with an experienced veteran.

If Heinen fills fills Garland’s production for less money… we could create enough cap space to fit nearly any player we wanted to add ($9-10 million).  The deal has to be there though.

There are teams over the cap and there are teams who have issues with specific players that are still needing to be sorted out (Necas and Trouba being always in the news).  Maybe a deal presents itself and we for once have the ability to be in on it.

That's the thing.  We didn't have Z at the start of last season either.  I'm confident in management finding at least another defenseman during the season.  Doubt he'll be as good as the big Russian but at least it'll give us needed depth on the blueline (as well as possible additions up front).