[SIGNING] Arturs Silovs 2yrs in Vancouver

21 hours ago, The Duke said:

I’m old enough to remember when we were a goalie graveyard. 

Luongo, Schneider, Lack, Miller, Markstrom, Demko and now Silovs. Obviously not all at that A+ level, but overall? Very good.

One of these things just doesn't belong and is severely Lacking in quality compared to the rest. 🤣

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm old about to remember that Richard Broduer was considered King Richard for a reason.   And young enough at the time to think that was pretty cool.    Because, well Robin hood and stuff.     It wasn't all bad, Skudra and Essensaa had their moments.    That said a long gap between McLean and Luongo.   Since then we've been blessed really.   As for Lack  not sure why he'd be given a lot of air time, team was still pretty good infront of him at the time.   Why Luongo was snubbed is still Lacks legacy IMO.    

Bad teams and guys like Snow, Burke, Potvin, Skudra .. wish we gave Beezer an actual shot.   Irbe.   Had some moments too,  Silovs for me has a lot to prove, because i've seen a lot of former number ones and guys who weren't number ones jammed into that role with mediocre results.     So have you.   Teams took a modest risk (by not signing a De-Smith).   Hope Silovs will make the most of it. 

Brodeur was top notch but I thought Roy was the best when it came to pure skill and performance.

Lacks legacy, being a backup to starter for Luongo in the winter blahssic. I swear people like this guy just for being funny on social media. He was a shite NHL goalie.

We did have some pretty interesting goalies which played well for stretches and had their moments, but the teams in front of them weren't great either. 

We did take a little risk with Silovs vs DeSmith but the environment should be great and the games winnable if Demko is carrying most of the load. I hope they are confident and planning on playing him a little more than DeSmith did last year.

38 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lacks legacy, being a backup to starter for Luongo in the winter blahssic. I swear people like this guy just for being funny on social media. He was a shite NHL goalie.

He did have two straight seasons for us with a reasonable save percentage.  Think he had basically a .500 record with us. That's more than merely a sh*tty backup imho.  He just couldn't develop beyond being a backup.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Thank you for not comparing post deadline team to early pre-season team. 

IMO we are significantly better at almost any position that at this point last preseason. 

We went into the year last season with the same top 4 D but Cole-Juulsen was our third pair. We have added a third pair of Forbort and Desharnais that we did not have at the start of last year. So better depth if not high end quality and have gotten bigger and at least as nasty. 

I am not sure the forward core looks much better on paper than the start of last season as the year before Mik-EP-Kuz was genuinely a really good line and Hoglander was providing scoring in the bottom 6. Is DeBrusk-EP-Hoglander/Henein better?  Maybe.  Seems to fit Tocch better.  The other additions to the forward core seem to give us more depth and speed and seems to fit Tocch’s system better. So forwards look better balanced, faster and again deeper but most importantly are better fits for the system. 

Goaltending is cheaper than last season and Arty should have a lot of confidence but is dependent on the undependable, Demko’s health. Seems like should be a good pairing but when Demko goes down we could use another vet to back up Arty. Call it a small step back to be pessimistic. 

Sum total looks better than the start of last season but even more importantly is we seem to have a complete NHL roster without any prospects stepping up AND have the most aggressive GM in the game with cap flexibility. That is huge considering all the adjustments he was able to make on the fly last year with none. Imagine what he can do at the deadline with cap space accrued.

Thanks for recognizing that. That's important in this. The better comparison is what we are now as compared to the start of the season. I've always viewed Lindholm and Zad as rentals and temporary. I'm actually glad we still have flexibility and not saddled with even more big long-term contracts coming into this season. That's what makes these most recent signings so key is that we've actually improved in multiple positions without being locked too much into one or two players. 

We actually addressed weaknesses that we recognized last season. Just like you say, the "forwards look better balanced, faster and again deeper but most importantly are better fits for the system." You're spot on, imo. I do believe DeBrusk will thrive here under Tocchet. He's a big upgrade on Kuzmenko as far as Tocchet's system and style of play. That sures up the hole left behind by Kuz last season ... and we still were atop the league. Also, imo, people are going to be really surprised by what Sherwood adds to the line up. 

Also, I like your point about improved D depth and specifically about Desharnais. We're actually starting the season with him. That's a really good point as compared to last year. I believe he'll only get better as the season progresses. Our starting point with him in the lineup is better than last season.

As far as goalies go, I get what you're saying and agree about a solid vet in case of injuries. I'm really curious about Tolopilo now, though. He had a great season last year and gained invaluable experience. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I get a kick out of some people still trying to marginalize Silovs. I mean, really, think about what this kid has already accomplished. 

Two back-to-back stellar World Championships - 2022 and 2023 - against some of the best players in the world where he was thrust into high pressure and passed with flying colors and put up elite numbers and even won MVP. People really underestimate how valuable these two experiences were in his development.

And then ...

He was thrust into the high-pressure of the NHL playoffs, stood his ground at the highest level of play, raised his game even more, kept us in the playoffs, and nearly took us to the Western Conference finals. All at the age of 23.

Smh ... lol ... and people still don't think he's ready and worthy of being back up. Please.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

19 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Will certainly be an interesting call.

Silovs shows a lot of promise but he kind of reminds me of Markstrom in the sense that he has a tendency to let in softies every now and then. It is clear that he can struggle with tracking pucks from the point, something the Oilers exploited in Game 7. Don't get me wrong - I think Silovs could well have a bright future, but I do think this is a concern as far as potentially handing him the #1 job in the future.

The Canucks now have about 1.5 seasons to figure out what they'll do in goal. I have to imagine Demko's health issues could be a significant factor. I think there is a good chance we might see the Canucks opt for Silovs as the #1 if he solidifies himself as a solid NHL goaltender this season. Having Patera and Tolopilo in the wings also gives the Canucks solid depth. Ty Young will be 21 next year so I assume he might graduate to Abbotsford by 2025-2026?

I noticed those softies tracking pucks from the point as well. However, he did so many other things very well. Tracking from the point should be a very teachable skill with reps from Clark and likely had a lot to do with the makeup and pressure of the series. I have faith. Look at those ones Skinner let in. 😂

19 hours ago, Bob Long said:

They must be working on that... I wonder what the ask will be? Now that we don't have any pain point for roster construction, it could be something like a 4th round pick I hope.

I think it would be more ... a second at least or possibly a third ... but we don't have any the next two years.

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  But we may be looking to upgrade the roster at the beginning of the year, not waiting until all the way to the deadline.  Moving Poolman would allow us to do that...

Does the cap space actually have to accrue? Couldn't we just put Poolman on LTIR at the TDL and get a prorated player (41/186) for his $2.5 mil?

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He did have two straight seasons for us with a reasonable save percentage.  Think he had basically a .500 record with us. That's more than merely a sh*tty backup imho.  He just couldn't develop beyond being a backup.

Yeah his #'s were actually half decent. Good S%, but he was not very good in my opinion. He had a winning record in one season (actually 2), played basically 4 total years (141 games), on some pretty defensive teams. I guess as a backup he was alright ... I would give him an incomplete if he was in school. 😆 Nice guy though.

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I noticed those softies tracking pucks from the point as well. However, he did so many other things very well. Tracking from the point should be a very teachable skill with reps from Clark and likely had a lot to do with the makeup and pressure of the series. I have faith. Look at those ones Skinner let in. 😂

I think it would be more ... a second at least or possibly a third ... but we don't have any the next two years.

Does the cap space actually have to accrue? Couldn't we just put Poolman on LTIR at the TDL and get a prorated player (41/186) for his $2.5 mil?

Yeah his #'s were actually half decent. Good S%, but he was not very good in my opinion. He had a winning record in one season (actually 2), played basically 4 total years (141 games), on some pretty defensive teams. I guess as a backup he was alright ... I would give him an incomplete if he was in school. 😆 Nice guy though.

I think incomplete is fair.  Makes you appreciate how good our goalie coaches have been since Dave Nonis was GM to today.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I noticed those softies tracking pucks from the point as well. However, he did so many other things very well. Tracking from the point should be a very teachable skill with reps from Clark and likely had a lot to do with the makeup and pressure of the series. I have faith. Look at those ones Skinner let in. 

I think it's important to not get too caught up in the micro of Silovs play right now over what's actually happening - and has been happening - in the bigger picture of his trajectory.

What this kid at 21-23 has accomplished so far - even with his faults - without even spending an entire season at the NHL level is pretty amazing. Being coached and mentored by Clark, coupled with maturity and even more confidence, this kid has the potential to be a star.

The mistakes in the short term will be worked on and that tracking will only get better. His ability to track is already high-level. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

a 2nd is too high, even if we did have it. 

Being able to bank cap space is far more important. 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

@Provost One thing people have to realize is you can't compare a team with TDL rentals on it to the next year's team. Rentals come with a significant cap savings that can't be replicated next year in pre-season. Any team with rentals should be considerably stronger than one without.

In comparing the teams we are very similar except we moved out some dead weight, got tougher, faster, and a top 6 player for Petey's line. Couldn't have hoped for much more to be honest.

On Desharnais I think he's going to be a pretty good player in our system. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do.

I never thought Lindholm and Zad were acquired to be long term. It was understood at the time - and I remember this sentiment - that re-signing was secondary to making the playoffs last year, giving the team the best chance possible to win, and only if they made sense financially. Lindholm especially.

I'm glad we have more flexibility, tbh, and didn't wrap $14 million into two players. Even though I loved Zad. At the end of the day, they were good cost-effective additions to turn the corner into our window and gain playoff experience. That was important. 

But if we look at how we did improve with the most recent signings, we took a step up in suring up some gaps and weaknesses that we recognized last season. 

We'll be able to do the same this coming season like we did with Lindholm and Zad and improve the team even more.

At this stage, from this perspective, we look to be improving incrementally in the right way.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I get a kick out of some people still trying to marginalize Silovs. I mean, really, think about what this kid has already accomplished. 

Two back-to-back stellar World Championships - 2022 and 2023 - against some of the best players in the world where he was thrust into high pressure and passed with flying colors and put up elite numbers and even won MVP. People really underestimate how valuable these two experiences were in his development.

And then ...

He was thrust into the high-pressure of the NHL playoffs, stood his ground at the highest level of play, raised his game even more, kept us in the playoffs, and nearly took us to the Western Conference finals. All at the age of 23.

Smh ... lol ... and people still don't think he's ready and worthy of being back up. Please.

Never mind the numbers that some want to point out, we didn't lose because of him, that's the bottom line. 

• Cheers 1

Funny how worried some were of him being offer sheeted. Lol. Ends up signing for 850k. But, his development might end up being key for us. Assuming we can't work out a good deal with Demko. That OEL buyout will be pretty close to back breaking. If this kid can become a good enough starter quality player. We might be able to lean on his bridge deal after Demko's is up. But I would really hope we can just re-sign Demmer around 7-8mil and call it a day.

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Funny how worried some were of him being offer sheeted. Lol. Ends up signing for 850k. But, his development might end up being key for us. Assuming we can't work out a good deal with Demko. That OEL buyout will be pretty close to back breaking. If this kid can become a good enough starter quality player. We might be able to lean on his bridge deal after Demko's is up. But I would really hope we can just re-sign Demmer around 7-8mil and call it a day.

that was never really a risk imo. Silovs is smart enough to know he's in an excellent development situation here and signing an offer sheet now that nets him an extra million or so could cost him a heck of a lot more down the road if things don't work out with his new team. Here he knows the players in front of him, the system, has the best goalie coach in the NHL. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I love that we can bank cap space now too. 

Quite amazing actually bearing in mind we carry around $3M in cap penalty as well... Did not expect us to be in strong position... Bravo PA

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Thank you for not comparing post deadline team to early pre-season team. 

IMO we are significantly better at almost any position that at this point last preseason. 

We went into the year last season with the same top 4 D but Cole-Juulsen was our third pair. We have added a third pair of Forbort and Desharnais that we did not have at the start of last year. So better depth if not high end quality and have gotten bigger and at least as nasty. 

I am not sure the forward core looks much better on paper than the start of last season as the year before Mik-EP-Kuz was genuinely a really good line and Hoglander was providing scoring in the bottom 6. Is DeBrusk-EP-Hoglander/Henein better?  Maybe.  Seems to fit Tocch better.  The other additions to the forward core seem to give us more depth and speed and seems to fit Tocch’s system better. So forwards look better balanced, faster and again deeper but most importantly are better fits for the system. 

Goaltending is cheaper than last season and Arty should have a lot of confidence but is dependent on the undependable, Demko’s health. Seems like should be a good pairing but when Demko goes down we could use another vet to back up Arty. Call it a small step back to be pessimistic. 

Sum total looks better than the start of last season but even more importantly is we seem to have a complete NHL roster without any prospects stepping up AND have the most aggressive GM in the game with cap flexibility. That is huge considering all the adjustments he was able to make on the fly last year with none. Imagine what he can do at the deadline with cap space accrued.

Thanks...

Been reading all the posts here, and found it weird to compare our post season team (which was always likely to be altered going in to the new season) with a pre/early season line up... 

With Lindholms demands he was always likely to be a rental... So it is really only Zad that stings... If they really get to accumulate cap space, they'll be adding some get stuff during next season similar to last season... 

Nice call...

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Thanks...

Been reading all the posts here, and found it weird to compare our post season team (which was always likely to be altered going in to the new season) with a pre/early season line up... 

With Lindholms demands he was always likely to be a rental... So it is really only Zad that stings... If they really get to accumulate cap space, they'll be adding some get stuff during next season similar to last season... 

Nice call...

I disagree with Lindholm. I think when they made the trade they had an idea of a range he'd be looking for to be re-signed. What they didn't expect was Boston to make it public they were going after him. And it wasn't just Boston that was going after him. Zads they had the right money, just not the right term.

In short I don't think those were expected to be rentals. Boston just likes to screw Vancouver a lot.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I disagree with Lindholm. I think when they made the trade they had an idea of a range he'd be looking for to be re-signed. What they didn't expect was Boston to make it public they were going after him. And it wasn't just Boston that was going after him. Zads they had the right money, just not the right term.

In short I don't think those were expected to be rentals. Boston just likes to screw Vancouver a lot.

I don't think they could fir Lindholm in at the $8M he got in Boston, and even less likely at the $9M that was reported to start with...

They may have hoped he would be willing to negotiate but here we are... 

I hoped, he'd stay, as I thought be brought some fight to our top 6, but am certainly not unhappy with how it all has shaped up... PA has been really good at reshaping the team and change out any unwanted parts while still improving the team...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Thanks...

Nice call...

I agree about the rental. It was priority to acquire them for last season at both skill and cost efficiency. That made us better. 

Second priority was re-signing but management had a figure they weren't going above and were sticking to the plan. Everyone was saying Lindholm would or could command upward of $8 to $9 mill. So, in all honesty, no one really expected him to be here.

And I don't believe they expected to keep Lindholm. Imo, they offered the contract in good faith in an attempt knowing he likely wouldn't accept because he could get what he wanted on the open market. 

Also, there was never an inkling or feeling that Lindholm wanted to stay or re-sign. Even when it was first spoken of late during the season. I think Lindholm himself viewed last year as temporary. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Lindholm came free though. Cruise Missile cost us a first to dumperoo the year and a half left on his contract. Those two prospects were craperolla. Neither will play in the National League. And we used the Cruise Missile Cap room to sign Debrusk, who is a far superior player. Huge win by the bald duo. 

5 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

That's why we should worry less and let the pros handle contracts and players.  With JR + company, they have many years of contracts, relationships and player management.  Probably a lot of behind the scenes stuff that goes on which help facilitate these contracts.  None the less, very happy Arty is on board - yes, the team lost some very noticeable players in Lindy and Big Z (plus others) - but I feel a bit its more balanced especially the forward lines group. 

Will be interesting to see if the team looks the same from September till December.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Cheers 1

On 7/16/2024 at 7:48 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Heinen is miles better than Mikheyev. Desharnais played better in the playoffs than Cole. Cole was horrible. Sherwood is better than Lafferty. Debrusk is underrated and will be better for our system than Lindholm who was playing as a 3C. The only big difference IMO opinion is Zadorov and Forbort. 

IMO, we should still be looking for a top 4 LHD. 

Let's hope the twins can help EPD train hard and make the team.

He is another big D!

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

we can just re-sign Demmer around 7-8mil and call it a day.

I think that's reasonable, and I think he'll stay. Demmer bleeds blue, green and white. 

But then what do you do with Šilovs who probably sees a long term deal, and thinks he doesn't have a shot at becoming a #1

What concerns me with a long term deal with Demko is his ability to stay healthy. Players generally don't get healthier or stronger when they're older. 

Edited by N4ZZY