B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

You missed the part where I don't care because every political entity in this nation has ties to some horrific shit.

If you're sitting here though and saying that the BC NDP are ok with or cool with an instructor at Langara who was placed on leave for her comments before being dismissed entirely I'll point out that an individual at a for profit education centre is NOT the same as a member of a sitting party who was taken to task for anti islamist comments.  I also can not find a single point of reference in which the NDP support endorse or accept this private individuals statements that were made at the VaG so tying the two together is at best a stretch

That would be like me saying you support pedophilia because i saw you hug a child once somewhere without any actual point of reference statement comment or path being crossed.  It doesn't fly because it didn't happen or isn't true

no, its not like that at all. But you do you Hip 😂

On 3/2/2024 at 1:17 PM, Bob Long said:

I think the BC conservatives are going to do quite well in rural areas 

Don't they tend to do that most of the time?  (or at least the center to center right parties).  They're going to have to make gains in Metro Vancouver to gain power.  There's a reason why they continued using the "Liberal" party banner (despite many of them working for the Fed Cons in Federal elections in campaigning) for so long.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Don't they tend to do that most of the time?  (or at least the center to center right parties).  They're going to have to make gains in Metro Vancouver to gain power.  There's a reason why they continued using the "Liberal" party banner (despite many of them working for the Fed Cons in Federal elections in campaigning) for so long.

two different parties Newbie. The Conservative Party of BC will have their best election ever, imo. Liberals/BC United will get decimated.

Falcon showing us what groceries cost is a dumb tack.

The NDP likely wins 70+ seats tho. Then we will see how far they take things like their land use ideas.  

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

two different parties Newbie. The Conservative Party of BC will have their best election ever, imo. Liberals/BC United will get decimated.

Falcon showing us what groceries cost is a dumb tack.

The NDP likely wins 70+ seats tho. Then we will see how far they take things like their land use ideas.  

Well that provincial party (Liberals) have been on life support for a long time now.  

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well that provincial party (Liberals) have been on life support for a long time now.  

they are pulling a CPC, and continuing to choose crappy leaders.

This site isn't a safe space to criticize the NDP but I will say that anyone should be worried about a provincial party having too much power. BC isn't going to have any meaningful opposition at all, and thats going to lead to some pretty frustrated folks in rural areas in particular, imo. 

56 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This site isn't a safe space to criticize the NDP but I will say that anyone should be worried about a provincial party having too much power. BC isn't going to have any meaningful opposition at all, and thats going to lead to some pretty frustrated folks in rural areas in particular, imo. 

IMO Eby like all politicians will say what he has to say to get re-elected. They all do. What I wonder is if any BC United cross the floor to the BC Conservatives before the election. If that happens the BCU could fall apart quickly. 

The deeper I get into Cooper’s book the angrier I get. Sure sounds like members of the BC Liberal caucus should have faced criminal charges. Political corruption via bribes to them and the RCMP. Even Harcourt is mentioned.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

IMO Eby like all politicians will say what he has to say to get re-elected. They all do. What I wonder is if any BC United cross the floor to the BC Conservatives before the election. If that happens the BCU could fall apart quickly. 

thats already happened. 

Just now, Boudrias said:

The deeper I get into Cooper’s book the angrier I get. Sure sounds like members of the BC Liberal caucus should have faced criminal charges. Political corruption via bribes to them and the RCMP. Even Harcourt is mentioned.

yeah the BC Libs needed a big renewal, a new leader to clean house. But they just went back to the same old pool. They are going to get crushed. 

Its worrisome, we're gong to have something like 70 NDP seats, 10-15 BCC and a sprinkling of whatever is left. Its a recipe for a lot of rural anger, imo, particularly if some of their ideas they got pushback on recently get rubber stamped. 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

thats already happened. 

yeah the BC Libs needed a big renewal, a new leader to clean house. But they just went back to the same old pool. They are going to get crushed. 

Its worrisome, we're gong to have something like 70 NDP seats, 10-15 BCC and a sprinkling of whatever is left. Its a recipe for a lot of rural anger, imo, particularly if some of their ideas they got pushback on recently get rubber stamped. 

No such thing as BC Libs anymore in BC

11 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

The BC LIbs ceased to exist when Gordon Campbell took over the party from Gordon Wilson.

Libs in name only.  Just  Socreds  and Cons after that.

Campbell did a lot of good things for BC 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

The BC LIbs ceased to exist when Gordon Campbell took over the party from Gordon Wilson.

Libs in name only.  Just  Socreds  and Cons after that.

Who is the guy that cheated on his wife with one of the MLAs? Was that Campbell? Or was he the drunk driver in Hawaii? 

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

THE DRUNK

So Campbell is the drunk driver and Wilson is the unfaithful one. Was it Tiabchi he was cheating with? Can’t recall the details. But isn’t that why he had to give up his leadership of the bc libs? Then the not so liberal people took over? 

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

To me there is, I have a hard time remembering their new name 

They are the BCups, the Betty to the conservatives Veronica. The right wing voters will flip flop between the two depending on how far right they are.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Must be nice to have lived a perfect life 

Sorry Bob.....I remember the incident where he was arrested

I am still quite mad at MADD for not hanging him out to dry

But he should have resigned on that one

14 hours ago, Bob Long said:

My old home town riding as it was called back then, Yale Lillooet, had Tom Waterland as the Forest Minister under the Socreds. He was from Merritt. He wanted to send all the logs to sawmills in Merritt, threatening to close down sawmills in Princeton, and Fraser Canyon towns in the riding. Currently that sawmill in Princeton is one of the few in the Province that makes money, year after year. Rural ridings have always hated the NDP, but when the Barrett NDP swept into power in '72 there weren't many that liked the Wacky Bennett Socreds, scandal after scandal for years, but they kept getting voted in, until they were exposed. Much like the Christy Clark Socreds when Horgan turfed them to the curb.

Edited by Johngould21
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

My old home town riding as it was called back then, Yale Lillooet, had Tom Waterland as the Forest Minister under the Socreds. He was from Merritt. He wanted to send all the logs to sawmills in Merritt, threatening to close down sawmills in Princeton, and Fraser Canyon towns in the riding. Currently that sawmill in Princeton is one of the few in the Province that makes money, year after year. Rural ridings have always hated the NDP, but when the Barrett NDP swept into power in '72 there weren't many that liked the Wacky Bennett Socreds, scandal after scandal for years, but they kept getting voted in, until they were exposed. Much like the Christy Clark Socreds when Horgan turfed them to the curb.

Lots of dying trees in our interior from fire or bugs or both. It’s like having grapes dying on the vine. Such a waste. And so many pulp mills closed around the province killing smaller communities. We should not be importing wood products. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lots of dying trees in our interior from fire or bugs or both. It’s like having grapes dying on the vine. Such a waste. And so many pulp mills closed around the province killing smaller communities. We should not be importing wood products. 

We should have much more manufacturing than we currently do. I've never understood why no BC government focused more on secondary manufacturing. 

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We should have much more manufacturing than we currently do. I've never understood why no BC government focused more on secondary manufacturing. 

Yup. If the housing industry took a bad turn the Province’s economy would tank. I guess that’s why we need to keep attracting a lot of new people? Without very fast population growth the economy would be in big trouble. 

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. If the housing industry took a bad turn the Province’s economy would tank. I guess that’s why we need to keep attracting a lot of new people? Without very fast population growth the economy would be in big trouble. 

Our tech sector has been growing over the last 20 years, but not as much as it could be in rural areas.