B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

My old home town riding as it was called back then, Yale Lillooet, had Tom Waterland as the Forest Minister under the Socreds. He was from Merritt. He wanted to send all the logs to sawmills in Merritt, threatening to close down sawmills in Princeton, and Fraser Canyon towns in the riding. Currently that sawmill in Princeton is one of the few in the Province that makes money, year after year. Rural ridings have always hated the NDP, but when the Barrett NDP swept into power in '72 there weren't many that liked the Wacky Bennett Socreds, scandal after scandal for years, but they kept getting voted in, until they were exposed. Much like the Christy Clark Socreds when Horgan turfed them to the curb.

I'm not familiar with that particular era - so did he close them down or was it just yap?

40 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

There never really was even during the heyday of "might as well go for a soda" Gordie.

Gordon Wilson was a decent Liberal leader before he sold out because of money problems after Campbell hijacked the party.

My old high school teacher was also a  leader of the party.

Jevington Blair (Jev) Tothill (born 1928 or 1929) is a former Canadian politician, who was the leader of the British Columbia Liberal Party from 1979 to 1981.[1]

Prior to his political career, Tothill was a high school teacher in the Cowichan Valley region of Vancouver Island who was known for creating a local community television service,[2] and was an unsuccessful candidate for the party in the electoral district of Cowichan-Malahat in the 1975 provincial election.

He won the leadership at the party's leadership convention on February 19, 1979.[3] His predecessor, Gordon Gibson, had held the party's only seat in the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia at the time of his resignation, leaving the party without legislative representation.

Tothill soon announced plans to run as the party's candidate in a pending by-election in North Vancouver-Seymour,[1] although that by-election was cancelled by the issuance of writs for the 1979 election. In that election, the only one under Tothill's leadership, the Liberals ran just five candidates provincewide and were entirely shut out of the legislature.[4]

Tothill resigned as leader in late 1980 and was succeeded by Shirley McLoughlin at the party's 1981 leadership convention.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Gordon Wilson was a decent Liberal leader before he sold out because of money problems after Campbell hijacked the party.

My old high school teacher was also a  leader of the party.

Jevington Blair (Jev) Tothill (born 1928 or 1929) is a former Canadian politician, who was the leader of the British Columbia Liberal Party from 1979 to 1981.[1]

Prior to his political career, Tothill was a high school teacher in the Cowichan Valley region of Vancouver Island who was known for creating a local community television service,[2] and was an unsuccessful candidate for the party in the electoral district of Cowichan-Malahat in the 1975 provincial election.

He won the leadership at the party's leadership convention on February 19, 1979.[3] His predecessor, Gordon Gibson, had held the party's only seat in the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia at the time of his resignation, leaving the party without legislative representation.

Tothill soon announced plans to run as the party's candidate in a pending by-election in North Vancouver-Seymour,[1] although that by-election was cancelled by the issuance of writs for the 1979 election. In that election, the only one under Tothill's leadership, the Liberals ran just five candidates provincewide and were entirely shut out of the legislature.[4]

Tothill resigned as leader in late 1980 and was succeeded by Shirley McLoughlin at the party's 1981 leadership convention.

The good Gordie had issues with thinking with his other brain too much IMHO.  Not a good look that affair with Judi.  But at least they got later married (and still are to this day I think).

Can't deny his moment in that TV debate (IMHO) where he quipped "and this is why we can't anything done in this province as the two other candidates bickered".

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Flip Wilson- a guy that could have been premier- but sold out, to the NDP.

Stood in front of his PDA party executive board, saying "I couldn't live with myself, if I walked across the floor" - and did exactly that the next day.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Flip Wilson- a guy that could have been premier- but sold out, to the NDP.

Stood in front of his PDA party executive board, saying "I couldn't live with myself, if I walked across the floor" - and did exactly that the next day.

I was friends with Judi on Facebook til she blocked me for saying Gordon sold out by working for Crusty Clark lol

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not familiar with that particular era - so did he close them down or was it just yap?

Merritt at one time had about 6 sawmills, Princeton 1 large one, that's still operating like crazy. The town had about 4 that I can think of that are now gone. Too small and the train that they used to use to transport lumber etc., is long gone. There  used to be a mill in OK Falls, and Penticton also had one or two. I'm talking 1980's.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I was friends with Judi on Facebook til she blocked me for saying Gordon sold out by working for Crusty Clark lol

She and Gord would chat with all the ferry employees, and get the story on what was actually happening- not what management was saying.

The day after Gord became an NDP er, she was on a radio program and started spouting off about ' how  leaks are damaging to the government, and needed to stop'----- so nobody ever said anything more than "Hello' to them after that.

The law of unintended consequences.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

She and Gord would chat with all the ferry employees, and get the story on what was actually happening- not what management was saying.

The day after Gord became an NDP er, she was on a radio program and started spouting off about ' how  leaks are damaging to the government, and needed to stop'----- so nobody ever said anything more than "Hello' to them after that.

The law of unintended consequences.

Are these the two that left politics and moved somewhere up the coast, Gibsons maybe? Memory is a little foggy on that. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are these the two that left politics and moved somewhere up the coast, Gibsons maybe? Memory is a little foggy on that. 

He lived In Gibsons and ran in this sunshine coast riding

She was an interior gal, but they did end up married and living in Powell River.

After provincial politics she ran for an Alderman's gig in P.R. and served 2 year term.

After that/ and during they both seemed to have made a lot of money from government grants.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Crusty Clark lol

I once sat a few seats away from Crusty at a Whitecaps game. 

I have a picture somewhere of her reaction when I told her she could be destroying the bc private liquor and wine businesses. She was doing some shady stuff imo. Too long of a story for me to feel like typing out.

haha,

I found the pic..

IMG_20150307_150815.thumb.jpg.f59ad899088442ffc39f046db21bd849.jpg

• Upvote 1

B.C. begins offering in-province immunotherapy treatment for lymphoma, leukemia

https://www.timescolonist.com/bc-news/bc-begins-offering-in-province-immunotherapy-treatment-for-lymphoma-leukemia-8424081

VANCOUVER — British Columbia is beginning to offer an immunotherapy cancer treatment in the province for some patients who haven't had success with standard chemotherapy or radiation.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Remember when Gordon Campbell said he quit drinking after his arrest?

Well that was a lie.  I worked with a guy who's wife was a bartender at the Oak and Carriage in Duncan. 

He would go there after the bar closed and drink with the owner.

Are we shaming alcoholics now in this thread? Nice.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Oh ok. Just wondering where the line is.

The disabled and mentally challenged. And even then as long as it isn't directed at a specific person who is afflicted...game on. Case in point: 

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I once sat a few seats away from Crusty at a Whitecaps game. 

I have a picture somewhere of her reaction when I told her she could be destroying the bc private liquor and wine businesses. She was doing some shady stuff imo. Too long of a story for me to feel like typing out.

haha,

I found the pic..

IMG_20150307_150815.thumb.jpg.f59ad899088442ffc39f046db21bd849.jpg

Granted, it goes with the job, I suppose.   But it must be quite a strain for politicians of any sort to have to be continually on the job no matter where they are.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Granted, it goes with the job, I suppose.   But it must be quite a strain for politicians of any sort to have to be continually on the job no matter where they are.

You're right, its a public life for them. 

If you are concerned, I wasn't rude to her. The section actually had a few laughs, she was having a good time. 

Some politicians do get a bit of heat though becuase ...actions cause reactions. Crusty deserved some roasting. 

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

You're right, its a public life for them. 

If you are concerned, I wasn't rude to her. The section actually had a few laughs, she was having a good time. 

Some politicians do get a bit of heat though becuase ...actions cause reactions. Crusty deserved some roasting. 

If they make decisions that impact your personal life, they have to expect some impact on their personal time.

Especially if they make those changes in a mean spirited way.

Just ask the teachers of B.C..

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If they make decisions that impact your personal life, they have to expect some impact on their personal time.

I think a civil comment at a hockey game is fine.  Surrounding a restaurant with protesters is going too far.  The real question is where to draw the line.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Is our quality of education better under the NDP?