B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

On 3/11/2024 at 1:52 PM, Bob Long said:

I don't care what her opinion is, I know what we experienced. 

As for what you experienced, I think your making a similar mistake to a certain segment that's blaming the Trudeau government for problems outside their purview.

Things like population increases, issues through COVID etc. And as much as I'm for inclusion in general, and no government in their right mind would try to reverse it due to the political backlash, it's arguably the biggest problem we have in our public schools (exacerbated by population explosion). We simply do not have the man power or dollars to execute it properly. No idea how we square that circle.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As for what you experienced, I think your making a similar mistake to a certain segment that's blaming the Trudeau government for problems outside their purview.

Things like population increases, issues through COVID etc. And as much as I'm for inclusion in general, and no government in their right mind would try to reverse it due to the political backlash, it's arguably the biggest problem we have in our public schools (exacerbated by population explosion). We simply do not have the man power or dollars to execute it properly. No idea how we square that circle.

Well, you'd be assuming  incorrectly. I'm talking about a lack of accountability in our education system. We know first hand how hard it is to deal with a problematic teacher and a principal. That's in the provinces purview.

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Well, you'd be assuming  incorrectly. I'm talking about a lack of accountability in our education system. We know first hand how hard it is to deal with a problematic teacher and a principal. That's in the provinces purview.

That's been the case through multiple governments though. It was just as bad DECADES ago when I was in the school system. So what is it exactly that have a problem with under the NDP that you feel is worse than the previous (faux)Liberals?

Just now, aGENT said:

That's been the case through multiple governments though. It was just as bad DECADES ago when I was in the school system. So what is it exactly that have a problem with under the NDP that you feel is worse than the previous (faux)Liberals?

there's still no real accountability for teachers. That will never change under the NDP. Thats my issue. 

The problem with attempting to discuss this kind of thing with NDP supporters is they, imo, tend not to accept that there are problems under their management, or if there are, its somehow less than it would be under a different government. You're kind of doing it with the use of the  "(faux)Liberals" phrase, actually. You may not like them, but that kind of phrase de-legitimizes any opposition to the BC NDP. Not the healthiest thing for a democracy, imo. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

there's still no real accountability for teachers. That will never change under the NDP. Thats my issue. 

The problem with attempting to discuss this kind of thing with NDP supporters is they, imo, tend not to accept that there are problems under their management, or if there are, its somehow less than it would be under a different government. You're kind of doing it with the use of the  "(faux)Liberals" phrase, actually. You may not like them, but that kind of phrase de-legitimizes any opposition to the BC NDP. Not the healthiest thing for a democracy, imo. 

I cant speak for aGent but dont people use that type of term to point out that the BC Liberals were not really Liberal at all?...not in an attempt to de-legitimize them as a party.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/937572931784

• ThereItIs 1

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/victoria-s-mayor-wants-province-to-delay-new-short-term-rental-rules-in-the-capital-1.6805410

Disgusting considering she campaigned on a platform focusing on increasing housing supply.  Glad the province is telling her to pound sand and will be definitely voting with the aim of booting her out of office next election.

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

It didn't change under the Liberals either 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

This:

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I cant speak for aGent but dont people use that type of term to point out that the BC Liberals were not really Liberal at all?...not in an attempt to de-legitimize them as a party.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/937572931784

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/victoria-s-mayor-wants-province-to-delay-new-short-term-rental-rules-in-the-capital-1.6805410

Disgusting considering she campaigned on a platform focusing on increasing housing supply.  Glad the province is telling her to pound sand and will be definitely voting with the aim of booting her out of office next election.

Honestly, the laws are a bit heavy handed on individual private owners (re: secondary vacation properties), and don't account for properties that were purpose built as vacation rentals, in tourist reliant cities, that rely on those units to provide temporary lodging to said tourists, with all their tourist dollars. 

I'm all for stricter regulations, particularly against investment groups buying up real estate and using it as AirBNB's rather than housing...but some of the laws could use a second look IMO.

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Honestly, the laws are a bit heavy handed on individual private owners (re: secondary vacation properties), and don't account for properties that were purpose built as vacation rentals, in tourist reliant cities, that rely on those units to provide temporary lodging to said tourists, with all their tourist dollars. 

I'm all for stricter regulations, particularly against investment groups buying up real estate and using it as AirBNB's rather than housing...but some of the laws could use a second look IMO.

How about the purchase of real estate by organized crime and Chinese investment groups controlled by members of the Chinese Communist Party? 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How about the purchase of real estate by organized crime and Chinese investment groups controlled by members of the Chinese Communist Party? 

Yeah, those would be bad too 😂

B.C. First Nation and Western LNG partner to purchase natural gas pipeline project

https://www.cheknews.ca/b-c-first-nation-and-western-lng-partner-to-purchase-natural-gas-pipeline-project-1195116/

A B.C. First Nation is partnering with a Houston-based firm to buy a ready-to-construct pipeline project that would supply natural gas to a proposed floating LNG export terminal north of Prince Rupert.

The Nisga’a Nation — whose lands are located on the northwest coast of B.C. near the city of Terrace — and its partner, Texas-based Western LNG, announced Thursday they will be acquiring the Prince Rupert Gas Transmission project from Calgary-based TC Energy Corp.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘Tsunami’ of Indigenous identity fraud cases heading to courts, warns B.C. judge

https://www.cheknews.ca/tsunami-of-indigenous-identity-fraud-cases-heading-to-courts-warns-b-c-judge-1195363/

Leaches in society go where the money is. Indian Affairs have been taking a big cut in that funding for decades. Set the % of DNA required to qualify for benefits and then demand test results for registration. I suspect the indigenous community will support this.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Leaches in society go where the money is. Indian Affairs have been taking a big cut in that funding for decades. Set the % of DNA required to qualify for benefits and then demand test results for registration. I suspect the indigenous community will support this.

It already exists.  My wife was able to get her status card because her Grandmother was full blooded member of the Red Rock Band in Ontario.   And my son was able to get his.  Neither of them look like they have native heritage though.

But that's where it ends.  Some of her cousins were unable to get theirs for different reasons.

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

B.C. First Nation and Western LNG partner to purchase natural gas pipeline project

https://www.cheknews.ca/b-c-first-nation-and-western-lng-partner-to-purchase-natural-gas-pipeline-project-1195116/

A B.C. First Nation is partnering with a Houston-based firm to buy a ready-to-construct pipeline project that would supply natural gas to a proposed floating LNG export terminal north of Prince Rupert.

The Nisga’a Nation — whose lands are located on the northwest coast of B.C. near the city of Terrace — and its partner, Texas-based Western LNG, announced Thursday they will be acquiring the Prince Rupert Gas Transmission project from Calgary-based TC Energy Corp.

Love to see this, it's the way forward.

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

% DNA could be an issue though, because:

1. there's a general lack of willingness to participate in DNA testing by many indigenous groups, and 

2. humans in general share much of the DNA code (ie. the majority of it is actually common to all races and ethnicities), so identifying which part of the code is specific to an indigenous group is tricky in and of itself.

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

% DNA could be an issue though, because:

1. there's a general lack of willingness to participate in DNA testing by many indigenous groups, and 

2. humans in general share much of the DNA code (ie. the majority of it is actually common to all races and ethnicities), so identifying which part of the code is specific to an indigenous group is tricky in and of itself.

I am no expert. DNA is being used regularly to match family members looking for lost relatives. Crimes are being solved by using DNA. It just made sense to use it. Over simplified but you have to pass an eye test for a drivers license. If an accurate test can be devised it should be used before benefits are received. 

Since indigenous people will likely receive ownership of major infrastructure projects in the future I suspect the tribes in question will demand some form of proof before the proceeds of such ownership is shared by claimants.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am no expert. DNA is being used regularly to match family members looking for lost relatives. Crimes are being solved by using DNA. It just made sense to use it. Over simplified but you have to pass an eye test for a drivers license. If an accurate test can be devised it should be used before benefits are received. 

Since indigenous people will likely receive ownership of major infrastructure projects in the future I suspect the tribes in question will demand some form of proof before the proceeds of such ownership is shared by claimants.

Most nations have control of their own membership and its notoriously difficult to gain. Most benefits of that membership also require recipients live on reserve. I don't think there will be any issues with con artists gaining access to those benefits. 

What the other posters are referring to are status cards and they offer little benefit in comparison. They are also much easier to acquire. As far as I know, as long as a parent has status you are eligible. Not sure about grandparents or other relatives but heritage can be proved by other means on the application.

As far as benefits go, perhaps some other posters could weigh in but from what I understand they are pretty meager. Things like no pst at businesses on reserve land, or from some indigenous owned businesses. There's supposed to be access to services and education but I've heard it's virtually non existent. Regardless, I'm not convinced the system is ripe for abuse with the current protocols in place.

11 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘Tsunami’ of Indigenous identity fraud cases heading to courts, warns B.C. judge

https://www.cheknews.ca/tsunami-of-indigenous-identity-fraud-cases-heading-to-courts-warns-b-c-judge-1195363/

As my mom's family was refused such due to her mom marrying a white man I find this especially insulting. I have 25% Cree ancestry which technically qualifies but nope..grandpa was a whitey....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Most nations have control of their own membership and its notoriously difficult to gain. Most benefits of that membership also require recipients live on reserve. I don't think there will be any issues with con artists gaining access to those benefits. 

What the other posters are referring to are status cards and they offer little benefit in comparison. They are also much easier to acquire. As far as I know, as long as a parent has status you are eligible. Not sure about grandparents or other relatives but heritage can be proved by other means on the application.

As far as benefits go, perhaps some other posters could weigh in but from what I understand they are pretty meager. Things like no pst at businesses on reserve land, or from some indigenous owned businesses. There's supposed to be access to services and education but I've heard it's virtually non existent. Regardless, I'm not convinced the system is ripe for abuse with the current protocols in place.

Free education and dental isn't 'meager' and those don't require living on a reserve. A lot of benefits are nation/band specific for sure. It is there and attainable but you just need to you know...access it. Several friends made good use of both. Even as just Metis I had access to easier admission and financial possibilities for education. Wasn't a full free ride but some options. I didn't make use of it but my mother did. 

The only thing I ever made use of was fishing and hunting rights. I still tended to buy fishing licenses for the conservation component but hunting? I sure as fuck shot some deer and put meat in the freezer. 

Edited by Gnarcore

8 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

As my mom's family was refused such due to her mom marrying a white man I find this especially insulting. I have 25% Cree ancestry which technically qualifies but nope..grandpa was a whitey....

That is strange....my wife's Grandmother also married a white man.  Have they looked into it again?  Maybe the rules have changed.

8 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Sex-based inequities were removed from the registration process in 2019 because of cases just like your mom's family.

https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1467214955663/1572460311596

Bill S-3: Eliminating known sex-based inequities in registration