B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Most nations have control of their own membership and its notoriously difficult to gain. Most benefits of that membership also require recipients live on reserve. I don't think there will be any issues with con artists gaining access to those benefits. 

What the other posters are referring to are status cards and they offer little benefit in comparison. They are also much easier to acquire. As far as I know, as long as a parent has status you are eligible. Not sure about grandparents or other relatives but heritage can be proved by other means on the application.

As far as benefits go, perhaps some other posters could weigh in but from what I understand they are pretty meager. Things like no pst at businesses on reserve land, or from some indigenous owned businesses. There's supposed to be access to services and education but I've heard it's virtually non existent. Regardless, I'm not convinced the system is ripe for abuse with the current protocols in place.

My wife gets good dental benefits and some vision using her status card.   And no tax on native land which in Cowichan includes Superstore and London Drugs and a tire store.

Also no tax on a new vehicle if it is delivered on native land.

And a huge discount on on gasoline at Superstore.

If she were to get a job as a Pharmacist at Superstore this would apply   If your income is described by one of the following situations, it is usually considered to be tax-exempt: When at least 90 percent of your employment duties are performed on a reserve, all of the income is usually considered tax-exempt

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

For years I was a critic of the BC NDP. The Glen Clark government was the major reason, but their active campaigning against the HST was the final straw for me. To this day, I've never cast a vote for an NDP candidate. (although I have in federal elections)

However, the Horgan and Eby governments have made me re-examine my opinion. Things like this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/baloney-factory-eby-mocks-poilievre-letter-asking-b-c-to-join-carbon-price-fight/ar-BB1jYNuz?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ee0d0a97c8b949a1b5ac8f469f507c68&ei=80

A letter from Opposition Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre to British Columbia Premier David Eby, asking him to help halt a federal carbon price increase, was dismissed by Eby as a "baloney factory" campaign tactic.

Poilievre's letter sent Friday asked Eby to join seven other premiers in opposing the April 1 increase, saying the 23 per cent rise amounts to an extra 18 cents on a litre of fuel, and people in B.C. and Canadians can't afford it.

premiers demanding (Prime Minister Justin) Trudeau stop the hike."

Poilievre's letter said the carbon pricing system set up by Trudeau is an imposition on the provinces that requires them to accept an ever-increasing levy.

But Eby, speaking at an unrelated news conference in Terrace, said B.C. residents would end up with less money returned to them if the government accepted Poilievre's "campaign office and baloney factory" request.

"I don't live in the Pierre Poilievre campaign office and baloney factory," said Eby. "I live in B.C., am the premier, and decisions have consequences. The fact we face is that if we followed Mr. Poilievre's suggestion there would be less money returned to British Columbians after April 1 than there would be if the federal government administered this increase directly."

I realize that I'm in the minority here when it comes to the Carbon tax, but it is what it is.....

• Cheers 2

My step-father had to fight for decades to obtain 'status' for himself and his eight siblings. Gramma was full blooded but grandpa was white. Both had passed, as well as several of the siblings, before the goverment finally granted them all status.

Dad has been fighting almost as long to be recognized by Gramma's band. They refuse to accept members despite being reduced to minimal numbers, somewhere in the 20s if I recall now. They have oil money, you see...

He has worked his entire life for the betterment of his people, all across BC and Canada and even down into the States. I remember helping them build the Friendship Center in Prince George when I was about 13 years old. Even though he is retired now he still does consulting work helping to improve housing and infrastructure both on and off reserve lands.

One vacation we did a tour of several ruins of residential schools, as well as numerous reserves and other places of importance to Dad. I was appalled at how few people seemed to know anything about the history of such places when all the stories broke a few years back. I thought I had learned more about native history in school, but clearly Dad taught me much of it.

And yes I still say native, or First Nations. I visited last summer and Dad laughingly told me we have to say Indigenous now. Indian, Metis, Aboriginal, Native, First Nations, Indigenous... we chuckle over how many labels his people have been lumped in to. 

He is Cree.

44 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

For years I was a critic of the BC NDP. The Glen Clark government was the major reason, but their active campaigning against the HST was the final straw for me. To this day, I've never cast a vote for an NDP candidate. (although I have in federal elections)

However, the Horgan and Eby governments have made me re-examine my opinion. Things like this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/baloney-factory-eby-mocks-poilievre-letter-asking-b-c-to-join-carbon-price-fight/ar-BB1jYNuz?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ee0d0a97c8b949a1b5ac8f469f507c68&ei=80

I realize that I'm in the minority here when it comes to the Carbon tax, but it is what it is.....

Why would anyone support the carbon tax?

It's an absolute cash grab at our expense.

I cant wait for falcon to be premiere (yes i know the Campbell libs brought it in) and poilievre to TRUMP Trudeau in Ottawa.

This country and province needs an overhaul. I'm tired of all the red tape to move forward and this insane cost of living.

The change may not fix anything. But what we have in office isn't working. Our generation has nothing compared to what our parents had. Zero buying power today.

18 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Maybe you should read up on it, rather than parroting right wing talking points:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/why-the-us-should-establish-a-carbon-price-either-through-reconciliation-or-other-legislation/

However, carbon pricing is the most basic and effective tool to reduce carbon emissions, as much of the world has already discovered. If the U.S. continues to stand by while others move forward with carbon pricing, it risks hampering progress towards climate mitigation goals, reducing the global competitiveness of American companies, and diminishing the credibility of its commitment to climate issues on the global stage.

There are plenty of studies / articles that say more or less the same thing. I chose the Brookings article because they don't have a political slant or bias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookings_Institution

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

I cant wait for falcon to be premiere (yes i know the Campbell libs brought it in) and poilievre to TRUMP Trudeau in Ottawa.

This country and province needs an overhaul. I'm tired of all the red tape to move forward and this insane cost of living.

The change may not fix anything. But what we have in office isn't working. Our generation has nothing compared to what our parents had. Zero buying power today.

I have no problem with the carbon tax as I think it is a necessary evil. Climate change is already costing us billions. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

50 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Kevin Falcon isn't gonna win shit next election.  David Eby is probably the country's most popular premier right now.  A lot can change from now to then, but my point is that a LOT has to change for the NDP to not win a majority again.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

That is strange....my wife's Grandmother also married a white man.  Have they looked into it again?  Maybe the rules have changed.

Most are gone as mom is youngest of ten. I dont think so since like the 90s. I know I havent 😉

7 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Maybe you should read up on it, rather than parroting right wing talking points:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/why-the-us-should-establish-a-carbon-price-either-through-reconciliation-or-other-legislation/

There are plenty of studies / articles that say more or less the same thing. I chose the Brookings article because they don't have a political slant or bias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookings_Institution

How does carbon pricing work? By making it unaffordable for some to drive so we have more people taking public transit? That's messed.

Driving is freedom.

They are literally trying to make life as unaffordable as possible and rubbing it in our faces and some people are in favor of that...

7 hours ago, Spur1 said:

I have no problem with the carbon tax as I think it is a necessary evil. Climate change is already costing us billions. 

They haven't shown any concrete proof that climate change is even human caused.

It's all theories, convenient that the only outcome is to line their pockets on our backs..

This world is so sad. Our ancestors are laughing at us right now 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

That is false.   There is concreate proof of man made climate change.   Just look it up.

9 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

It's revenue neutral via rebates. Climate change costs us millions every year. Why wouldn't anyone support it? ESPECIALLY your (presumably younger) generation who will deal with the worst repercussions from not doing enough.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

It's all theories, convenient that the only outcome is to line their pockets on our backs..

This world is so sad. Our ancestors are laughing at us right now 

Jesus Christ words come out of your mouth but it's all complete nonsense

10 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Jesus Christ words come out of your mouth but it's all complete nonsense

Sounds like an anti-vaccine devout conspiracy theory follower. 

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

How does carbon pricing work? By making it unaffordable for some to drive so we have more people taking public transit? That's messed.

Driving is freedom.

They are literally trying to make life as unaffordable as possible and rubbing it in our faces and some people are in favor of that...

If the carbon tax dissappear3d tomorrow corporate greed would eat up your 'savings' from scrapping it in about 3 months. It is a decent tax, 80 per cent of us get it back, unless we are making good money every year on our taxes. And yes it has the effect of driving change away from fossil fuels.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

If the carbon tax dissappear3d tomorrow corporate greed would eat up your 'savings' from scrapping it in about 3 months. It is a decent tax, 80 per cent of us get it back, unless we are making good money every year on our taxes. And yes it has the effect of driving change away from fossil fuels.

So you don't get it back if you make good money...

So congratulations for your hard work and smart life choices. Spend more money.

Fossil fuels are important and imperative for our lifestyle.

I'm sick of the rising cost of living. With this new tax hike we are going to be paying close to $2.50 a litre this summer.

Just a travesty, the weird thing is everyone I know is against it... but I'm not sure what's going on in here.

Edit:

Have any of you carbon taxation theft supporters ever thought why Canada is the only country in North America (not including central) so us, the U.S. and Mexico ... that has a carbon tax... with the least population by far of those 3 countries?

We are being robbed.

Edited by Breadnbutta

If the carbon tax disappreared tomorrow, gas prices would not drop very much. The market has already adjusted to those prices; the gas company would just keep the extra money instead of it going back to those struggling to afford it. If you're in a high enough income bracket to not get a rebate, switch one of your cars to an EV (you can afford it and the vast majority of people earning that much are 2 car families). Can still use your gas car if you have range/charging infrastructure concerns, but greatly reduce your spending on gas with regular commuting and shopping trips.

• ThereItIs 2

43 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Fossil fuels are important and imperative for our lifestyle.

I'm sick of the rising cost of living. With this new tax hike we are going to be paying close to $2.50 a litre this summer.

Blacksmiths were once important and imperative to Canadian's lifestyle.  I wonder if our ancestors are laughing at us for letting them go. 

I'm sick of the rising cost of living too.  I just don't blame the carbon tax.   I blame corporate greed.

Re the question you asked:  What does population have to do with it?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Can still use your gas car if you have range/charging infrastructure concerns, but greatly reduce your spending on gas with regular commuting and shopping trips.

But but but... Petrofuel-driven energy is freedumb!!  

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Blacksmiths were once important and imperative to Canadian's lifestyle.  I wonder if our ancestors are laughing at us for letting them go. 

I'm sick of the rising cost of living too.  I just don't blame the carbon tax.   I blame corporate greed.

Re the question you asked:  What does population have to do with it?

Canada has a negative carbon footprint.

We have more trees than any where else in the world. Besides the amazon rainforest we are basically the lungs of the earth.

Why are we the only country paying a carbon tax???

You think canadian Joe driving his tesla makes a difference?

The greed is taxing the middle class into poverty.

Drive away from any metro area in Canada (theres not many) a few hours and look over the horizon and ask yourself why we need to pay a carbon tax??