B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Breadnbutta said:

Canada has a negative carbon footprint.

We have more trees than any where else in the world. Besides the amazon rainforest we are basically the lungs of the earth.

Why are we the only country paying a carbon tax???

You think canadian Joe driving his tesla makes a difference?

The greed is taxing the middle class into poverty.

Drive away from any metro area in Canada (theres not many) a few hours and look over the horizon and ask yourself why we need to pay a carbon tax??

isn't great that carbon in the atmosphere stays in the city? thats such a cool thing.

that aside, I do think you raise a good point about taxation, we pay a lot and can make an argument that we should be pushing for more efficiency in our services, vs just paying more and more.

9 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Canada has a negative carbon footprint.

What leads you to say that?   I don't think it is correct.  Can you back it up with some data?

Is Canada carbon negative?Canada is one of the major nations leading the way when it comes to climate change and has increased its targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2030. However, despite being a country with lots of forest areas, it is not carbon negative.

Is Canada a carbon negative country?

But, like most things that sound too good to be true, this one is false. That's because trees don't just absorb carbon when they grow, they emit it when they die and decompose, or burn. When you add up both the absorption and emission, Canada's forests haven't been a net carbon sink since 2001.Feb 12, 2019

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

isn't great that carbon in the atmosphere stays in the city? thats such a cool thing.

that aside, I do think you raise a good point about taxation, we pay a lot and can make an argument that we should be pushing for more efficiency in our services, vs just paying more and more.

It doesn't stay in the city but trees Filter carbon dioxide through photosynthesis and produce oxygen.

I know I'm being captain obvious.

Thank you for parroting my views more eloquently than I can lol.

Tl;Dr.

When is the tipping point. It's just one tax after the other ..

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

It doesn't stay in the city but trees Filter carbon dioxide through photosynthesis and produce oxygen.

Tl;Dr.

we need to do something about atmospheric carbon. Yes Canada has an outsized tree contribution, but we can still be leaders on this and really should be if we like being in things like the G8 and see ourselves as global leaders.

For me, its investing more in companies like Carbon Engineering up in Squamish. Lets take carbon out of the atmosphere and turn that into fuels. Seems like an awesome piece of a many pronged solution. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

https://news.mit.edu/2023/engineers-develop-efficient-fuel-process-carbon-dioxide-1030#:~:text=Other approaches to converting carbon,feedstock such as carbon monoxide

Engineers develop an efficient process to make fuel from carbon dioxide

The approach directly converts the greenhouse gas into formate, a solid fuel that can be stored indefinitely and could be used to heat homes or power industries.
Edited by Maninthebox
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

Tl;Dr.

The tipping point is probably when 500+ people die in a heat dome and when fire season is from March to November.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

They haven't shown any concrete proof that climate change is even human caused.

It's all theories, convenient that the only outcome is to line their pockets on our backs..

This world is so sad. Our ancestors are laughing at us right now 

If they're laughing at anything, it's your apparent conviction that you know what you're talking about when you clearly don't....:classic_rolleyes:

1 - There is a mountain of evidence supporting anthroprogenic climate change

2 - The tax is offset by rebates for people with lower incomes

3 - It's sad that people don't look beyond sensationalist lines like "tax grab" and learn what it's actually about.

Climate Change is an existential threat. Maybe not to me and you, but definitely for our kids and grandkids. The Carbon Tax isn't a solution in of itself, but it's part of the solution....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's revenue neutral via rebates. Climate change costs us millions every year. Why wouldn't anyone support it? ESPECIALLY your (presumably younger) generation who will deal with the worst repercussions from not doing enough.

This is the thing that always makes me shake my head...."We can't afford to combat Climate Change!" :frantic:

Look around you, FFS! Massive wildfires every summer.....floods.....who do you think is paying for this?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

Have any of you carbon taxation theft supporters ever thought why Canada is the only country in North America (not including central) so us, the U.S. and Mexico ... that has a carbon tax... with the least population by far of those 3 countries?

Once again, you should educate yourself. Mexico has a Cartbon Tax:

https://www.oecd.org/tax/tax-policy/carbon-pricing-mexico.pdf

As far as the US goes, I don't think they should be held up as a shining example of countries with a good record on the environment.

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Once again, you should educate yourself. Mexico has a Cartbon Tax:

https://www.oecd.org/tax/tax-policy/carbon-pricing-mexico.pdf

As far as the US goes, I don't think they should be held up as a shining example of countries with a good record on the environment.

It's hard to decipher but I think he was saying Mexico has a carbon tax.   Then he said something indecipherable about how the US and Mexico has the population to merit one but we don't.

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

It's hard to decipher but I think he was saying Mexico has a carbon tax.   Then he said something indecipherable about how the US and Mexico has the population to merit one but we don't.

I read it as we're the only one of the three that has one, but as you say, most of his posts are hard to decipher....

• Cheers 1

@Breadnbutta Here are some stats for your ass.  4 out of 5 Canadians will receive more money from the carbon tax than what they pay out.  Straight from the budget report.  Read it and weep: https://distribution-a617274656661637473.pbo-dpb.ca/7590f619bb5d3b769ce09bdbc7c1ccce75ccd8b1bcfb506fc601a2409640bfdd

Here's another fact for you - the carbon tax had bipartisan support from both Liberals and Conservatives until Pierre Poilievre took over the party.  I'll say it again: The Conservative Party of Canada supported the carbon tax only three years ago.

Average annual costs should increase around $30.31 per year for the average family of four.  The carbon rebate should increase around $255 for that same family.  Now, PP has responded by claiming the tax is one of the causes of inflation in this country.  That's also a lie: the Bank of Canada stated the carbon tax contributed to 0.15% of the inflation rate.

The carbon price was $50/tonne in January 2023 (when we had an inflation rate of 5.9%), while the carbon price was $65/tonne in January 2024 (inflation rate of 2.9%).  So as carbon prices increased, inflation rates were dropping.  Poilievre is trying to make a correlation that doesn't exist.

So in the nicest way possible, I present you with this simple question:

download.jpg.4840ef7eeec68b3e1349e32b908aece3.jpg

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

This is the thing that always makes me shake my head...."We can't afford to combat Climate Change!" :frantic:

Look around you, FFS! Massive wildfires every summer.....floods.....who do you think is paying for this?

Heat domes killing people, water shortages, crop devastation and on, and on and on..

But I can't afford to fill my F350!

🙄

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Heat domes killing people, water shortages, crop devastation and on, and on and on..

But I can't afford to fill my F350!

🙄

Canada can only do so much tho, they are right on that point at least. Even if Canada went 100% carbon neutral tomorrow, we'd still be effected by the rest of the planet. 

Thats why I like the idea of really putting a lot of funding into start up ideas like atmospheric carbon capture, we might be able to have a much bigger influence in seeding some tech that can be adopted quickly. 

And thats just one tech, there are many other promising areas. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Canada can only do so much tho, they are right on that point at least. Even if Canada went 100% carbon neutral tomorrow, we'd still be effected by the rest of the planet. 

Thats why I like the idea of really putting a lot of funding into start up ideas like atmospheric carbon capture, we might be able to have a much bigger influence in seeding some tech that can be adopted quickly. 

And thats just one tech, there are many other promising areas. 

By all means one of many of the smart reasons to being a global leader on climate change would be to create jobs, infrastructure and money from it as well.

But this "we're only Canada and it will only effect so much" thinking is lazy and stupid. It's never wrong, to do the right thing.

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

6 hours ago, 112 said:

The tipping point is probably when 500+ people die in a heat dome and when fire season is from March to November.

Exactly... how does a carbon tax fix that? I was in monte lake 2 years ago for the white rock lake fire and there was a lot of twiddling thumbs at the fire camp which was set up next door to my in laws in Westwold.

They didn't seem to keen on putting any fires out and actually halted the loggers from going up and putting out spot fires in the back roads that they knew so well and had lots of experience doing so. They let BC burn.

Too much bureaucracy and red tape in this government. Hopefully a conservative majority changes that.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

If they're laughing at anything, it's your apparent conviction that you know what you're talking about when you clearly don't....:classic_rolleyes:

1 - There is a mountain of evidence supporting anthroprogenic climate change

2 - The tax is offset by rebates for people with lower incomes

3 - It's sad that people don't look beyond sensationalist lines like "tax grab" and learn what it's actually about.

Climate Change is an existential threat. Maybe not to me and you, but definitely for our kids and grandkids. The Carbon Tax isn't a solution in of itself, but it's part of the solution....

I'm not low income... why cant i get my money back? I don't give a fuck about rebates for lower incomes. 

What about the upper middle class that supports this country????? It's bullshit. Just keep taxing us to oblivion and wave the white towel and take it from the government 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

Exactly... how does a carbon tax fix that? I was in monte lake 2 years ago for the white rock lake fire and there was a lot of twiddling thumbs at the fire camp which was set up next door to my in laws in Westwold.

They didn't seem to keen on putting any fires out and actually halted the loggers from going up and putting out spot fires in the back roads that they knew so well and had lots of experience doing so. They let BC burn.

Too much bureaucracy and red tape in this government. Hopefully a conservative majority changes that.

Your in laws are idiots

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Your in laws are idiots

For what? Living next to a forest fire camp? That makes them idiots?

Cause they control where fires start or where they set up shop???

Says the guy who's probably never left the lower mainland.... idiot 

Edited by Breadnbutta

14 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

I don't think he was saying his inlaws were responsible, they just lived next to the camp.

Yes exactly. There's a school next to their property that was used as a temp home base for the forest fire fighters.

They let bc burn. I wouldn't want to go into a burning bush either but they could have hit it hard early. Many locals with water trucks and logging machinery were chomping at the bit to put out spot fires and they were stopped by the rcmp and forestry and then the fire got out of hand.

The Cullen Report is interesting reading as it exposes the extent of money laundering in BC. Suggested that as much as $455 billion worth of real estate in BC was funded by laundered money, most by organized crime. 

How are ordinary people supposed to compete for home ownership against such odds? Proceeds from such crime now produce and sell drugs to British Columbians. It appears criminal money money is buying protection from politicians and the criminal justice system. 

13 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

I've said my piece. 

Between here and cdc I've lost a few accounts over this sub..

Leaving off topic. Enjoy your transit while you combat climate change 

Yeah sure buddy.  Run away without responding to my post exposing all the lies you just spewed out.  That's what your kind of people do best - walk away after getting fact-checked to hell.

• Cheers 1