B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Cullen Report is interesting reading as it exposes the extent of money laundering in BC. Suggested that as much as $455 billion worth of real estate in BC was funded by laundered money, most by organized crime. 

How are ordinary people supposed to compete for home ownership against such odds? Proceeds from such crime now produce and sell drugs to British Columbians.

its certainly a big part of it. There are some of the $2,000/sqft+ buildings downtown that certainly fall into that grouping. 

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It appears criminal money money is buying protection from politicians and the criminal justice system. 

since the Romans, I think. 

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

By all means one of many of the smart reasons to being a global leader on climate change would be to create jobs, infrastructure and money from it as well.

But this "we're only Canada and it will only effect so much" thinking is lazy and stupid. It's never wrong, to do the right thing.

it is, but so is trying to justify more tax hikes "because environment." Thats just not good enough. Where's the money going? where is it being directed? 

I'm fine with the idea of a carbon tax, if it actually has a net positive effect. But general revenue small cheques back to Joe Public likely won't be enough to solve the problem, we need to see much more focus on innovation, which where the NDP, imo, falls flat. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

For what? Living next to a forest fire camp? That makes them idiots?

Cause they control where fires start or where they set up shop???

Says the guy who's probably never left the lower mainland.... idiot 

I don't live in the lower mainland dipshit.

Oh I have been to Alberta...Sask...Toronto..Niagara Falls........spent a summer in Fort Nelson working.......Bermuda 2 times....Mexico....New York...Montana.......Noth Dakota...Idaho....California...Oregon Coast...and Washington of course....and he British Isles.

Where have you been besides the local redneck bar?

If there is a fire ban there are no fires allowed period.

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Oh I have been to Alberta...Sask...Toronto..Niagara Falls........spent a summer in Fort Nelson working.......Bermuda 2 times....Mexico....New York...Montana.......Noth Dakota...Idaho....California...Oregon Coast...and Washington of course....and he British Isles.

When did I say anyone started a camp fire???

You have Poor reading comprehension.

And I'm far from a red neck. Born and raised in East van, Surrey, graduated in Abbotsford.

I also worked in fort Nelson lol. I wonder if we crossed paths...

Kamloops, Vernon, shuswap.

Now live in Surrey again.

Regardless.

The government dropped the ball 3 years ago when BC burned. I witnessed it.

As someone who has lived and spent a lot of time in the interior I am very fire smart and aware. I don't need you to tell me. 

And never once did I say that me or my in laws had a camp fire during fire season.....

Idiot

Edited by Breadnbutta

2 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

The government dropped the ball 3 years ago when BC burned. I witnessed it.

So you have found something for which there may be some truth and are running with it.   Some questionable decisions were made in the past few fire seasons.  I'm not completely sure that the thought that fires should be best fought by fire fighters is such a bad idea though.

I note that you have moved on from saying climate change is unproven science, that Canada is carbon negative, or that the carbon tax is destroying any chance of children being as rich as their patents (ok, you did not literally say that last one, but you sure implied it).  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

:classic_blink: I feel your pain. I spent two weeks there once.

Of course, that was in the middle of winter, so that might have influenced my impression of the place a tad....

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Then I will reap what you sow. 

Report. Don’t get into insult matches. 

Someone called me a racist and you did nothing.  Reporting does not work.

Oh and it should be you will reap what I sow:hurhur:

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Report it if it happens again. I will always take Reports seriously if there’s something that require Moderating. 

Again, please don’t attack others if you believe you have been attacked. 

Let me/other Moderators/Administrators take care of it instead. 

Mulligans we’re given. They won’t be given after this. Heed my warning. 

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

:classic_blink: I feel your pain. I spent two weeks there once.

Of course, that was in the middle of winter, so that might have influenced my impression of the place a tad....

Spent a summer there in the mid seventies. The toughest guy in town was the female cab driver. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

Spent a summer there in the mid seventies. The toughest guy in town was the female cab driver. 

Legend has it she's still driving cabs and caribou in the region and her moustache is now the toughest guy in letterke...err Ft Nelson

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

The hotel we stayed at was right across the street from the club we were playing at, so we didn't use cabs....

Although, it was cold enough that we seriously considered it a few times.....🥶

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Legend has it she's still driving cabs and caribou in the region and her moustache is now the toughest guy in letterke...err Ft Nelson

Susie was a gem. Big heart but don’t cross her. 

8 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Oh and it should be you will reap what I sow:hurhur:

Uh oh.  Wasn't that me some time ago?

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Report it if it happens again. I will always take Reports seriously if there’s something that require Moderating. 

Again, please don’t attack others if you believe you have been attacked. 

Let me/other Moderators/Administrators take care of it instead. 

Mulligans we’re given. They won’t be given after this. Heed my warning. 

I think @Breadnbutta should stand up for what he believes in and address the contradictions pointed out by others here, including myself.  He has spread blatant lies about the carbon tax (lies largely propagated by the CPC leader) and has failed to come up with any response when those lies were exposed.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Uh oh.  Wasn't that me some time ago?

I think @Breadnbutta should stand up for what he believes in and address the contradictions pointed out by others here, including myself.  He has spread blatant lies about the carbon tax (lies largely propagated by the CPC leader) and has failed to come up with any response when those lies were exposed.

How are they lies?

Just because someone, or another party, has differing views doesn't mean they are lies.

How can anybody be happy with the status quo... don't you want change?

Pierre Poillievre is by far the best option we have to lead this country.

And we have zero buying power in this province. High employment rate and high minimum wage means nothing when a cart full of groceries is 300 dollars and a 4 cylinder gas tank is north of 100 dollars.

How can anyone be happy with the bc ndp?

Canada hardly produces any of the world's carbon with our miniscule population. Taxing us does nothing, and I highly doubt they will be using that money for good. More hydro electric dams? More wind farms?

Nah, how about 15 grand annual raises for the baked potatoes in charge.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

How are they lies?

Just because someone, or another party, has differing views doesn't mean they are lies.

And we have zero buying power in this province. High employment rate and high minimum wage means nothing when a cart full of groceries is 300 dollars and a 4 cylinder gas tank is north of 100 dollars.

How can anyone be happy with the bc ndp?

Canada hardly produces any of the world's carbon with our miniscule population. Taxing us does nothing, and I highly doubt they will be using that money for good. More hydro electric dams? More wind farms?

Nah, how about 15 grand annual raises for the baked potatoes in charge.

That someone is the Parliamentary Budget Officer and the Governor of the Bank of Canada.  

Pierre Poilievre... is a fucking liar.  He is lying through his teeth about the carbon tax and I have the fucking numbers to prove it.

On 3/17/2024 at 1:26 PM, Miss Korea said:

@Breadnbutta Here are some stats for your ass.  4 out of 5 Canadians will receive more money from the carbon tax than what they pay out.  Straight from the budget report.  Read it and weep: https://distribution-a617274656661637473.pbo-dpb.ca/7590f619bb5d3b769ce09bdbc7c1ccce75ccd8b1bcfb506fc601a2409640bfdd

Here's another fact for you - the carbon tax had bipartisan support from both Liberals and Conservatives until Pierre Poilievre took over the party.  I'll say it again: The Conservative Party of Canada supported the carbon tax only three years ago.

Average annual costs should increase around $30.31 per year for the average family of four.  The carbon rebate should increase around $255 for that same family.  Now, PP has responded by claiming the tax is one of the causes of inflation in this country.  That's also a lie: the Bank of Canada stated the carbon tax contributed to 0.15% of the inflation rate.

The carbon price was $50/tonne in January 2023 (when we had an inflation rate of 5.9%), while the carbon price was $65/tonne in January 2024 (inflation rate of 2.9%).  So as carbon prices increased, inflation rates were dropping.  Poilievre is trying to make a correlation that doesn't exist.

So in the nicest way possible, I present you with this simple question:

download.jpg.4840ef7eeec68b3e1349e32b908aece3.jpg

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

1.  Pierre Poillievre is by far the best option we have to lead this country

2.  How can anyone be happy with the bc ndp?

1.  What makes him the best option by far?  Honestly?  He has zero work experience and zero platform outside of pissing people off.  So why is he the "best option by far"?

2.  The BC NDP currently has BC's economy humming along and is a top 3 or better in the nation province economically.  While the party enjoys one of the higher rates of voter satisfaction in the nation.  So what is it that you specifically don't like about them, without speaking for everyone else?

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

How are they lies?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/happiest-countries-in-the-world

13th happiest country in the world.  I wouldn't mind change, but not in the form of a bigoted piece of garbage who wants to subject Canada to his barbaric beliefs.  There is no reason for any civilized country to allow vermin like Poilivre to have power whatsoever.  

• Upvote 1

Conservatives currently have ~40% of voter popularity. Almost two times more than the libs.

Not sure why you wouldn't support a party that's for the working man.

Live with it. It's happening. This country is gonna change. Scrap the tax!

Not sure why anyone wants to pay more tax..I'm baffled. You can send me all the links in the world to bogus reports.

I'm tired of wasting money and being raped by this government. And you should be too

• Haha 1