B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

45 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Conservatives currently have ~40% of voter popularity. Almost two times more than the libs.

Not sure why you wouldn't support a party that's for the working man.

Live with it. It's happening. This country is gonna change. Scrap the tax!

Not sure why anyone wants to pay more tax..I'm baffled. You can send me all the links in the world to bogus reports.

I'm tired of wasting money and being raped by this government. And you should be too

Blah blah blah you're just ducking me again.

This is exactly what I'd expect from a climate change denier.  I give you independent statistics: "oh it's fake news".  I give you undeniable facts about the CPC's previous stance on the tax: "oh it's fake news".

At this point, it is safe to call you a liar, since you are unwilling to back your positions up with anything other than your feelings.  And as one famous conservative said...  "FACTS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS"

49 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Conservatives currently have ~40% of voter popularity. Almost two times more than the libs.

Not sure why anyone wants to pay more tax..I'm baffled. You can send me all the links in the world to bogus reports.

I'm tired of wasting money and being raped by this government. And you should be too

How are they for the working man?  Their leader has never paid in to cpp or ei in his life

Scrap what tax?  The cap and trade or the carbomn tax?

If you're tired of wasting money, spend your money more wisely or write the corporations that set the prices of literally everything and stop blaming the government for literally everything wrong in your life.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

Well, there's one thing about this post that's accurate....:classic_rolleyes:

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Damn Feds get it together. Medium and minimum can be tricky, guys doing fed time are the naughtier of the drug bad boys. 

Edited by bishopshodan

Nearly 900 affordable homes coming to Vancouver Island

https://www.cheknews.ca/nearly-900-affordable-homes-coming-to-vancouver-island-1196117/

The Ministry of Housing says 867 homes are coming to Vancouver Island through a partnership with non-profit housing providers.

The minster says eight new projects have been selected through a Community Housing Fund (CHF) which would provide 867 affordable homes to renters.

“We’re doing the work to ensure that there are affordable new homes for a wide range of people, from seniors on fixed incomes to growing families,” wrote Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon in a press release.

Under the program, residents in 70 per cent of the units pay rent geared to income, generally based on 30 per cent of household income. The remaining 30 per cent of units are rented at or below market rates.

One of those projects is a 95-unit intergenerational housing site at Luther Court Society’s Campus of Care in Saanich. The society received funding through the CHF which will also come with community support space.

“This program will support an important need in our community. We are grateful to the Province, through BC Housing, for recognizing the value of this program and selecting Luther Court to provide it,” said Susan Bansgrove, board chair of the Luther Court Society.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

who determines the price on this stuff? I always wonder how the valuation is made. 

I have heard it is always inflated.  It's often the price you would get if you divided it all up into nickel bags and sold them all.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

who determines the price on this stuff? I always wonder how the valuation is made. 

I always assumed they just call Charlie Sheen and ask.....:classic_unsure:

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I have heard it is always inflated.  It's often the price you would get if you divided it all up into nickel bags and sold them all.

if thats how much the guards are getting, no wonder there's an industry. Maybe pay the guards more and this kind of thing would go down?

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

if thats how much the guards are getting, no wonder there's an industry. Maybe pay the guards more and this kind of thing would go down?

Paying the guards more would probably be a fine idea but I'm not sure we could match the criminal's prices.

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Many many times they say street value...so down the frickin gram to make it sound bigger. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/quesnel-looking-address-harm-caused-202440207.html

"

The City of Quesnel is seeking to set up a meeting with the Lhtako Dene Nation, following the discovery that the Mayor's wife, Pat Morton, had been distributing copies of Grave Error - How The Media Misled Us (And The Truth About Residential Schools), a book which severely downplays the history and harms of residential schools in Canada.

The issue was addressed during council's March 19 meeting, following a letter from the Lhtako Dene Nation, expressing outrage over having to defend the findings of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, the T'Kemlups te Secwepem'c First Nation, the Williams Lake First Nation, and others.

"The calling into question of what our Nation went through is a slap in our people's collective faces and is very hurtful to them. The Nation has a significant number of members who suffered through attendance at a Residential School and today suffer through the long-term trauma of what they went through. The book adds to that hurt," they explained.

The letter asks council to reaffirm the terms of a Memorandum of Understanding between the city and the Nation.

"We would also appreciate the opportunity to have some of our Elders, who experienced Residential School attendance, meet with the Mayor and Council to provide first-hand knowledge of the treatment they were subjected to and survived," adds the letter.

The letter did not name the person distributing copies of the book, but noted they were related to a member of council. Mayor Ron Paull confirmed during the meeting that it was his wife who distributed the book, and told council he hasn't read it himself.

“To be honest, I haven’t even opened it, I've looked at the cover but I've got no interest in looking at it," said Paull.

The mayor went on to make a statement on past accomplishments he was involved in as part of council, in regards to First Nations, including the renaming of Ceal Tingley Memorial Park to Lhtako Dene Park, and appointing their first Indigenous Relations Liaison.

“Some will look upon this situation as a threat to our reconciliation efforts. I look upon it as a welcome opportunity for all of us, together, to understand and respect one another’s views and aspirations even more deeply," stated Paull. "As is being asked by the council of the Lhtako Dene Nation I will be the first as leader of our council and our city and our greater community to positively and meaningfully reaffirm our Memorandum of Understanding that is so proudly displayed over there on that wall in these chambers."

Paull also attempted to co-appoint himself to the council's indigenous liaison portfolio. Fellow councillors did not move or second his proposed motion, silence falling on the room.

A copy of the book was given to the parents of Coun. Tony Goulet, whose father was a survivor of residential school, and Goulet said he was appalled by the book's contents and circulation in the community, but managed to read it, cover to cover. Goulet agreed the MOU should be reaffirmed.

----------------------------------------

mal

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/quesnel-looking-address-harm-caused-202440207.html

"

The City of Quesnel is seeking to set up a meeting with the Lhtako Dene Nation, following the discovery that the Mayor's wife, Pat Morton, had been distributing copies of Grave Error - How The Media Misled Us (And The Truth About Residential Schools), a book which severely downplays the history and harms of residential schools in Canada.

The issue was addressed during council's March 19 meeting, following a letter from the Lhtako Dene Nation, expressing outrage over having to defend the findings of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, the T'Kemlups te Secwepem'c First Nation, the Williams Lake First Nation, and others.

"The calling into question of what our Nation went through is a slap in our people's collective faces and is very hurtful to them. The Nation has a significant number of members who suffered through attendance at a Residential School and today suffer through the long-term trauma of what they went through. The book adds to that hurt," they explained.

The letter asks council to reaffirm the terms of a Memorandum of Understanding between the city and the Nation.

"We would also appreciate the opportunity to have some of our Elders, who experienced Residential School attendance, meet with the Mayor and Council to provide first-hand knowledge of the treatment they were subjected to and survived," adds the letter.

The letter did not name the person distributing copies of the book, but noted they were related to a member of council. Mayor Ron Paull confirmed during the meeting that it was his wife who distributed the book, and told council he hasn't read it himself.

“To be honest, I haven’t even opened it, I've looked at the cover but I've got no interest in looking at it," said Paull.

The mayor went on to make a statement on past accomplishments he was involved in as part of council, in regards to First Nations, including the renaming of Ceal Tingley Memorial Park to Lhtako Dene Park, and appointing their first Indigenous Relations Liaison.

“Some will look upon this situation as a threat to our reconciliation efforts. I look upon it as a welcome opportunity for all of us, together, to understand and respect one another’s views and aspirations even more deeply," stated Paull. "As is being asked by the council of the Lhtako Dene Nation I will be the first as leader of our council and our city and our greater community to positively and meaningfully reaffirm our Memorandum of Understanding that is so proudly displayed over there on that wall in these chambers."

Paull also attempted to co-appoint himself to the council's indigenous liaison portfolio. Fellow councillors did not move or second his proposed motion, silence falling on the room.

A copy of the book was given to the parents of Coun. Tony Goulet, whose father was a survivor of residential school, and Goulet said he was appalled by the book's contents and circulation in the community, but managed to read it, cover to cover. Goulet agreed the MOU should be reaffirmed.

----------------------------------------

mal

Why tf do people think that this is ok?

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Why tf do people think that this is ok?

The residential school in that town closed in 1981- and Ms Morton has been in that small town long enough to know that

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

The residential school in that town closed in 1981- and Ms Morton has been in that small town long enough to know that

I just don't get it, what does that woman think she's accomplishing?

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I just don't get it, what does that woman think she's accomplishing?

She does  to have a history of 'activism'

https://www.quesnelobserver.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor-setting-the-record-5753867

ContributedJul 11, 2012 5:00 PM

Editor:

It is time to set the record straight! I started investigating council’s expense claims early in 2011 when then finance chair Coun.Thapar started asking questions as to how city tax dollars were being spent.

I offered to help as I knew the evidence would tell the story. What I found were claims submitted by Mayor Mary Sjostrom for expenses the one third, tax–free expense allowance was to cover.

This meant to me she was being paid twice for the same expenses. We found other travel expenses that should not have been claimed. The remainder of council did not claim reimbursement for similar types of expenses, only the mayor. My next step was to write to the rulings department of Canada Revenue Agency to obtain a clear understanding of the intent of the allowance for elected officials and in response, the rulings I received provided some insight but they were not easy enough for just anyone to understand.

I requested a clear understanding from the advanced rulings department and sent the $535 fee which was returned to me as they do not want to provide the information.

------------------------------

mal

---------------------------

I do find her statement  "$535 fee which was returned to me as they do not want to provide the information." 

To be the language of conspiracy thinkers.

https://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/new-bc-poll-sees-ndp-in-the-lead-conservatives-surging-within-6-points-7332332

New B.C. poll sees NDP in the lead, Conservatives surging within 6 points

A new poll shows the Conservative Party of B.C. within six per cent of the governing B.C. NDP.

The poll from Mainstreet Research — released Thursday (March 21) after being conducted on March 18-19 — finds that 40 per cent of decided voters would vote for the provincial New Democrats if an election were to be held today. The Conservative Party of B.C. under John Rustad would receive 34 per cent of the vote, more than twice the 15 per cent B.C. United under Kevin Falcon would receive. B.C. Greens under Sonia Furstenau would receive 10 per cent.

These figures confirm the continuing surge of the provincial Conservatives, largely at the expense of B.C. United.

This points also shines through in the analysis of Quito Maggi, president and chief executive officer of Mainstreet Research. 

“The (provincial) numbers are interesting and continue to suggest that the B.C. United rebrand experiment is a failure,” he said.

“This is our first snapshot of B.C. of 2024 and is consistent with our last B.C. poll of 2023 that showed BC United in third. As voters come closer to an election, that support continues to erode, benefiting both the NDP and the BC Conservatives.”

Conservative House Leader Bruce Banman, MLA for Abbotsford-South, said on social media that his party is “within striking distance” of the NDP. “Be part of the wave, be part of the winning team,” Banman said, in urging donations to “help us end the “Eby-Trudeau Carbon tax in BC!”

Speaking at an unrelated event at Vancouver International Airport, Eby said the only poll that matters is the poll on election day.

“I think the poll is an important remainder for…anyone who has been quick to dismiss the B.C. Conservative Party as an extremist party that will not find traction in the province,” he said. “We need to take this party and what they are proposing seriously.”

Eby said provincial Conservatives deny the existence of climate change despite its effects on British Columbia and would undermine B.C.’s advantage to fight climate change through its access to clean electricity and leading technology firms. The party also threatens the health of British Columbians by allowing unvaccinated health care workers to return to work, despite recent outbreaks of measles, Eby said.

UBC political scientist Stewart Prest warned against reading too much into any single poll.

“That said…there is no denying this poll and others like it are bad news for the B.C. United party above all,” he said. “If this particular poll is correct, it suggests that B.C. United’s days may be numbered as a viable party.”

But the poll also bears a warning for the NDP in keeping with the results from other polls.

Prest said it shows what he called “broad dissatisfaction” with the performance of the B.C. government in numerous areas people consider important, such as housing affordability, cost of living and inflation and health care.

“These are perennial issues across Canada and certainly in British Columbia and there are issues that can determine elections,” Prest said. “Up until this point, we also know from polling that the majority of British Columbians seems to prefer the B.C. NDP’s answers on these issues…more so than any other option on the table.”

For now, government opponents remain “really divided” in splitting their vote across the provincial Conservatives and B.C. United, but that could change, Prest said.

The more this general dissatisfaction lingers, the more a clear alternative emerges, the more concerned the NDP has to become, he added.

“They can’t simply assume that this election is there for the taking and it is going to be coronation,” Prest said.

Eby acknowledged this aspect.

“I just have trouble believing, but we will see, that this anti-science, right-wing extremist perspective will prove successful at the ballot box,” he said. “But that is my job to communicate that to British Columbians and to provide a credible alternative of what the direction is I think our province should be going, which I think is ensuring that people can people can build a good life here.”

• Cheers 1

I've mentioned before that I've never voted NDP in a provincial election.....I've also mentioned that I believe Climate Change is the most important issue facing all of us, so this sort of thing definitely makes me reconsider voting NDP:

https://www.canadianunderwriter.ca/insurance/bc-government-budget-disaster-mitigation-funding-1004243115/

The British Columbia government announced Thursday it’s investing $405 million over four years to better prepare the province for disaster mitigation and climate emergencies.  

The budget includes a breakdown for how government will respond to specific disasters and evacuation. 

A breakdown of how much money is being allocated to which programs can be found by clicking the link

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1