B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, chris12345 said:

Where's the math?

I'm interested not challenging for what it's worth. I'd like to see it.

On 3/17/2024 at 1:26 PM, Miss Korea said:

@Breadnbutta Here are some stats for your ass.  4 out of 5 Canadians will receive more money from the carbon tax than what they pay out.  Straight from the budget report.  Read it and weep: https://distribution-a617274656661637473.pbo-dpb.ca/7590f619bb5d3b769ce09bdbc7c1ccce75ccd8b1bcfb506fc601a2409640bfdd

Here's another fact for you - the carbon tax had bipartisan support from both Liberals and Conservatives until Pierre Poilievre took over the party.  I'll say it again: The Conservative Party of Canada supported the carbon tax only three years ago.

Average annual costs should increase around $30.31 per year for the average family of four.  The carbon rebate should increase around $255 for that same family.  Now, PP has responded by claiming the tax is one of the causes of inflation in this country.  That's also a lie: the Bank of Canada stated the carbon tax contributed to 0.15% of the inflation rate.

The carbon price was $50/tonne in January 2023 (when we had an inflation rate of 5.9%), while the carbon price was $65/tonne in January 2024 (inflation rate of 2.9%).  So as carbon prices increased, inflation rates were dropping.  Poilievre is trying to make a correlation that doesn't exist.

So in the nicest way possible, I present you with this simple question:

download.jpg.4840ef7eeec68b3e1349e32b908aece3.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Show a source doing the math then 

The problem with that is that he's already said he doesn't believe in statistics and uses the "eye test" instead. Of course his "eye"is always going to back up his opinions....

There's literally no room for honest debate with someone who default stance is that their opinions are fact and sources and statistics are fake....

You guys are all wasting your time with this guy.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Why don't they show BC?

Did I miss it or did they just randomly not pick it?

The BC carbon tax started well before the feds and is something very different, with different rebate rules.  It's a 16 year old tax in this province.  Although it's poorly administered compared to Ottawa's tax, it's also FAR more popular here.

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

No it's really not...  bottom line is our government is raping us at the pump and grocery store and its getting worse April 1st 

The bottom line is you're completely full of it dude.  You're wasting everyone's time here with your garbage.

Just now, Breadnbutta said:

No it's really not...  bottom line is our government is raping us at the pump and grocery store and its getting worse April 1st 

Corporations are raping us. And "we" allow it willingly. And voting Conservative is basically saying "yes Daddy" and getting on our knees.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The BC carbon tax started well before the feds and is something very different, with different rebate rules.  It's a 16 year old tax in this province.  Although it's poorly administered compared to Ottawa's tax, it's also FAR more popular here.

Thanks but still confused.

Is the tax a federal or provincial tax or is it both?

I am guessing both? The report was federal? Why not include BC? 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Corporations are raping us. And "we" allow it willingly. And voting Conservative is basically saying "yes Daddy" and getting on our knees.

Sometimes I think as consumers we are so dumb. Basics are impossible to avoid but if people stopped buying the wants there'd be a shift.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Thanks but still confused.

Is the tax a federal or provincial tax or is it both?

I am guessing both? The report was federal? Why not include BC? 

Federal tax only applies to provinces that don't have their own carbon tax - that's how Trudeau set the rules.  We were the first province to implement one in 2009.  But now that Ottawa's raising the price, NDP has to raise it too.  The report is specifically about Ottawa's tax, but the rate is the same.  The rebate is very different, though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Federal tax only applies to provinces that don't have their own carbon tax - that's how Trudeau set the rules.  We were the first province to implement one in 2009.  But now that Ottawa's raising the price, NDP has to raise it too.  The report is specifically about Ottawa's tax, but the rate is the same.  The rebate is very different, though.

Thanks!

Rebate is based on income levels I am assuming?

Never mind found it. $39,115....yikes

Edited by chris12345

1 minute ago, chris12345 said:

Thanks!

Rebate is based on income levels I am assuming?

In BC, you are ineligible for the tax rebate once your household reaches a certain income.  That number will depend on whether you have a spouse and kids, but overall it's a pretty low number.  What's also different about BC's tax revenue is that all the money goes into general revenue, as opposed to Ottawa's fund that gets completely given back to taxpayers or re-invested into specific green initiatives.

On the other hand, BC has credits/rebates for climate-related purchases.  Buying an EV is a well-known one - you can get credits from both BC and Ottawa.  Installing a heat pump is another one - you can get thousands back.  There are probably others, and if you want me to dig for them I will.  But for now, understand that the BC NDP has introduced quite a few tax credits to try and offset the tight rebate eligibility for the carbon rebate.  Whether you think those numbers add up to a fair number is up to you.

Lol less than 40 grand...

Bring on the carbon tax, can't wait for that rebate...... just gotta quit My job first and wait a yeat to qualify.

This country gives money away to people who are too lazy to work or strive to be better.. and takes away from the backbone of the country.

Miss Korea..  where is your proof that a poilievre govt would not be good for Canada?

You have none, it's your.... wait for it... opinion.

6 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Bring on the carbon tax, can't wait for that rebate...... just gotta quit My job first and wait a yeat to qualify.

This country gives money away to people who are too lazy to work or strive to be better.. and takes away from the backbone of the country.

Miss Korea..  where is your proof that a poilievre govt would not be good for Canada?

Your posts are some of the dumbest ones I've seen on this forum, by far.  I've seen smug posts, and I've seen stupid ones.  But never ones this smug and stupid at the same time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Yeah, a guy who openly promotes domestic terrorism and whose party has a history of weaker regulations to enable corporate greed is a great chance.  That's without even considering his bigotry.  Electing Nazi vermin like Poilivre is not going to make anyone's lives better other than the parasites in the C-suite and the religious nutjobs who want to inflict their barbaric beliefs on the rest of us.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

not in BC

one has to be actively looking for work to receive income assistance

40 minutes ago, 112 said:

not in BC

one has to be actively looking for work to receive income assistance

Only for employment insurance...

Lol people abuse the welfare and "disability" benefits all the time.

Come on... we give free drugs to addicts on the street who get high and break into cars. 

The current system is so easy to manipulate and take advantage of.

And our taxes keep going up. When is enough enough ?

Edited by Breadnbutta

16 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Only for employment insurance...

Lol people abuse the welfare and "disability" benefits all the time.

Come on... we give free drugs to addicts on the street who get high and break into cars. 

The current system is so easy to manipulate and take advantage of.

And our taxes keep going up. When is enough enough ?

people pay into EI before they're entitled to it, so I'm not sure what your issue with such a social safety net would be. edit: for basic welfare, which is called income assistance, there is a requirement that one be looking for work while in receipt of the monthly payments.

do you have any articles or other sources supporting that disability assistance is being widely abused? in order to qualify for it, a social worker and doctor have to fill out a document on the applicant's behalf, and then that application has to be assessed by the ministry of social development + poverty reduction. it's a stringent process. (of course, i did know someone who was applying for disability based on having some sort of irritable bowel disorder, which i'll admit i don't think should have qualified him for it. he did keep getting denied tho, like 3 or 4 times at least, and just kept re-applying. i don't know if he was ever approved.) i think there are people who look to abuse the system, but i'm not sure they're as successful at it as you'd believe.

i don't think we'll ever find any common ground on the safe supply issue, but people are dying from a toxic street supply and i fully support the decriminalization/prescription model or initiative. i think our justice system does need reform, however, and this should happen in coordination with better addictions and mental health supports.

at the end of the day, some people deal with a lot of challenges in their life that aren't visible without a discerning eye. addiction is a medical disorder, for example, and people who suffer it usually have long histories of trauma. i'm not sure it's a very kind or fruitful exercise to speak so generally about people on welfare programs when the diversity of people's lives and experiences is so varied.

why do you think the current system is easily manipulated, i guess i'll ask?

Edited by 112

12 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

You have just as much proof Pollievre would be good for Canada as Miss Korea's going to have proof Polliviere would be bad for Canada. Why? Because he hasn't been in power yet. If you're looking for such a comment to be a gotcha, that's a double edged sword that's going to smack you in the face.

Not to mention, what's "good for Canada" is highly subjective. If, for example, we end up with worse natural disasters due to no one doing their part to batter climate change, is that better for Canada? I actually agree with you on the carbon tax not being all that great, but for the opposite reason: it's not enough. It's just to pretend they're doing something in my opinion.

We can, however have our preferences of leaders. You're welcome to like Polliviere just as much as others are welcome to hate Polliviere and his tactics thus far.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

People are whining about the price of fuel but the government doesnt set the price of fuel.

Corporations do though.

Yesterday prices in the Okanagan jumped 7-8 cents.  No reason given.  Gurantee that they'll jump another 7-8 cents before the end of March.  Then 10-15 cents more on or just after April 1st.  We';ll see a total 25-30 cent increase overall in the 12 days leading up to the tax increase when the actual oil/fuel in supply is not subject to that tax as it's already been pulled and refined, and that ther actual increase per litre should only be around 4 cents.

But these companies know full well people WILL blame the government for a 20-25 cent total increase that is not in fact part of the increase in the tax.

You can see it in this thread

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You have just as much proof Pollievre would be good for Canada as Miss Korea's going to have proof Polliviere would be bad for Canada. Why? Because he hasn't been in power yet. If you're looking for such a comment to be a gotcha, that's a double edged sword that's going to smack you in the face.

Not to mention, what's "good for Canada" is highly subjective. If, for example, we end up with worse natural disasters due to no one doing their part to batter climate change, is that better for Canada? I actually agree with you on the carbon tax not being all that great, but for the opposite reason: it's not enough. It's just to pretend they're doing something in my opinion.

We can, however have our preferences of leaders. You're welcome to like Polliviere just as much as others are welcome to hate Polliviere and his tactics thus far.

That's a false equivalency.  I can at least try to make an educated guess on what a PP-led government would look like based on his past body of work as well as his (very limited) platform agenda.  Admittedly it's difficult to pinpoint any policy promises because he hasn't proposed a single policy other than "axe the tax" and "spike the hike".  The whole thing is just "attack Trudeau".

Breadboy doesn't have anything going for him.  It's pathetic.  "Aren't you guys mad at the government about everything?"  What a stupid way to think.  Within a carbon tax context, it won't matter to BC who's in charge in Ottawa.  It's not going away.

12 hours ago, chris12345 said:

Sometimes I think as consumers we are so dumb. Basics are impossible to avoid but if people stopped buying the wants there'd be a shift.

You don't even need to stop buying them all together. Buy them less often. Buy them from companies that treat and pay their employees well. Buy them from companies with good environmental policies. Buy local/domestic. Buy quality, well built items that last. Demand right to repair laws.

Stop buying so much cheap, disposable crap from companies that make stuff in sweat shops, with poor environmental and quality controls.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1