B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

B.C. premier to give announcement related to public drug use

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-premier-to-give-announcement-related-to-public-drug-use-1.6863576

What timing. Right after polls show the conservatives taking the lead from the NDP.  I know some family and friends in healthcare have been exposed to fentanyl and other hard drugs recently.  They call him "Eby Escobar" now.   Now they will not be voting for him again 

10 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

What timing. Right after polls show the conservatives taking the lead from the NDP.  I know some family and friends in healthcare have been exposed to fentanyl and other hard drugs recently.  They call him "Eby Escobar" now.   Now they will not be voting for him again 

Eby Escobar.  JT Castro.   You guys have such a knack for nicknames.   Must have been quite the wits in the elementary schoolyards.

My Google search for 'Eby Escobar'  brought me to Bruce Banman.   Now there's someone who I hope never get's any power.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

And a different poll 3 days ago shows the NDP at 45%

https://researchco.ca/2024/04/23/bcpoli-apr2024/

Vancouver, BC [April 23, 2024] – More than two-in-five decided voters would cast a ballot for the governing BC New Democratic Party (NDP) if British Columbia’s provincial election were held today, a new Research Co. poll has found.

In the online survey of a representative provincial sample, 45% of decided voters would back the BC NDP candidate in their constituency, down one point since a similar Research Co. poll conducted in January 2024.

The Conservative Party of BC Is in second place with 27% (+2), followed by BC United with 15% (-2) and the BC Green Party with 11% (=), while 1% of decided voters (-1) would support other parties or independent candidates.

The BC NDP is solidly ahead of the BC Conservatives in Vancouver Island (56%) and Metro Vancouver (47%). The races are tighter in the Fraser Valley (37% to 36%), Southern BC (35% to 32%) and Northern BC (38% to 33%).

The BC NDP is still the first choice across all three age groups in British Columbia. The BC Conservatives are more popular among voters aged 18-to-34 (34%) than among their counterparts aged 35-to-54 (29%) and aged 55 and over (22%).

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Eby Escobar.  JT Castro.   You guys have such a knack for nicknames.   Must have been quite the wits in the elementary schoolyards.

My Google search for 'Eby Escobar'  brought me to Bruce Banman.   Now there's someone who I hope never get's any power.

I mean they're not as cool as "PeePee" "PooPoo" "Skippy" or "drumpf" or whatever but cool story non the less

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

I mean they're not as cool as "PeePee" "PooPoo" "Skippy" or "drumpf" or whatever but cool story non the less

I had forgotten about them because I try not to get so low as to use them or terms like them.   How about you?

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I had forgotten about them because I try not to get so low as to use them or terms like them.   How about you?

I don't care either way. Calling everyone you disagree with a Nazi is pretty pathetic tho.(Not saying it's you).  But no one on here does that🙃

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

I don't care either way. Calling everyone you disagree with a Nazi is pretty pathetic tho.(Not saying it's you).  But no one on here does that🙃

Despite my urge to respond with 'cool story' that may be the only thing we've agreed on today.   I'd go with misinformed or misguided over pathetic though.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Don't be ignorant... Those terms are commonly used in the Canadian politics thread.  Maybe not by you but let's not pretend both sides don't have dumb nick names for each leader 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Don't be ignorant... Those terms are commonly used in the Canadian politics thread.  Maybe not by you but let's not pretend both sides don't have dumb nick names for each leader 

Wait till you hear what we've been calling you.   🥸

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You're half right....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

B.C. asks Health Canada to make drug use in public illegal again

VANCOUVER — The British Columbia government is asking Health Canada to "urgently change" the province's decriminalization policy to stop drug use in public.

To nobodies surprise this completely back fired 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

British Columbia recriminalizes use of drugs in public spaces

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/david-eby-public-drug-use-1.7186245

I predicted they would do something in the police thread. Not that I was totally against the initiative but it needs to be done right. Once Oregon rolled it back, the writing was on the wall. 

Good stuff. The BC NDP are really impressing me. Getting things doneand able to adjust on the fly.

Now, I'm going to be busier at work because of this. So, please keep in mind support for our all our essential services/ first responders going forward. We need help. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

To nobodies surprise this completely back fired 

Not completely.  A slight step back maybe.  Although, we are not going to get anywhere without a large infrastructure in place for support and rehabilitation.  Portugal's successes included far more steps than just decriminalization.

• Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I predicted they would do something in the police thread. Not that I was totally against the initiative but it needs to be done right. Once Oregon rolled it back, the writing was on the wall. 

Good stuff. The BC NDP are really impressing me. Getting things doneand able to adjust on the fly.

Now, I'm going to be busier at work because of this. So, please keep in mind support for our all our essential services/ first responders going forward. We need help. 

It needed to be tried, but in our context it was a flop, at least how it was tried this time.

• Cheers 1

I go back-and-forth on my view concerning people who use hard substances. On one hand, they often get into that lifestyle after a lifetime of abuse, suffering a broken family, and living entrenched in poverty. On the other hand, the message about how harmful hard drugs are is told to us all early and repeatedly, and starting down the path of using them is going very against common sense (and also respect for your fellow community members). The level of abjection the most unfortunate live in is difficult to witness, and they really are stuck in a cycle of withdrawals and use. In the sense of being an idealist, I would hope that it's possible to help everyone out of their situation if they're addicted, but being a realist, we just don't have the beds and money/other resources available for recovery for all.

At the end of the day, I do look at people who use with a bit of scorn, but mostly I consider it a right to put whatever one wants into her body. Recriminalizing public use is kind of a mixed bag for me because in doing that you're pushing people to use in more isolated and therefore dangerous environments, and I really don't like seeing people die. I'm not in the DTES any longer and I don't witness much disorder personally, being a hermit in PG, so I don't have proper scope on how bad the problem has gotten, but I've seen a lot of the talk on the issue and know people are unhappy. I guess when I've seen it, public drug use hasn't really bothered me as much as the behaviours associated with it have.

I've known a lot of folks who use or have used hard drugs, and they're still people like anyone else; some are very kind and affable. I don't have a solution to the epidemic, but I have liked the newer policies better than the old approach. I guess opening up more recovery centres would be where I'd look first--and for crime, offering judges the ability to remand people to such facilities.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Not completely.  A slight step back maybe.  Although, we are not going to get anywhere without a large infrastructure in place for support and rehabilitation.  Portugal's successes included far more steps than just decriminalization.

Yeah, it's like one step in twenty, with more mental health funding/services, along with some sort of housing probably being the biggest hurdles.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

It would be nice if the BC government had a website where all municipal financial statements were posted so that citizens could view them. Alberta and Ontario do this but I know of no others. 

• Cheers 1