B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It would be nice if the BC government had a website where all municipal financial statements were posted so that citizens could view them. Alberta and Ontario do this but I know of no others. 

A lot of municipalities (probably most, if not all, of them) publish them on their official website.  For example, Richmond's audited financial statements are available as part of their Annual Report (Dec 2022's is here).  Not sure having a provincial consolidator website (and the associated costs to maintain and secure) is necessarily an effective or efficient use of provincial tax dollars when the info can still be found online (albeit with a bit of digging).

26 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

A lot of municipalities (probably most, if not all, of them) publish them on their official website.  For example, Richmond's audited financial statements are available as part of their Annual Report (Dec 2022's is here).  Not sure having a provincial consolidator website (and the associated costs to maintain and secure) is necessarily an effective or efficient use of provincial tax dollars when the info can still be found online (albeit with a bit of digging).

Should people have to dig? I thought one of the big criticisms of the last government was a lack of transparency.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Should people have to dig? I thought one of the big criticisms of the last government was a lack of transparency.

Well, at least the local municipalities are being transparent if they post their financials online.  Having the province duplicate the effort on a consolidator site isn't really doing much more than ... well, consolidating.  When the info already exists online.  On a local site. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well, at least the local municipalities are being transparent if they post their financials online.  Having the province duplicate the effort on a consolidator site isn't really doing much more than ... well, consolidating.  When the info already exists online.  On a local site. 🤷‍♂️

Who has time for that? Having a snapshot like @Boudrias is talking about isn't hard to produce. 

But every opposition claims a lack of transparency, until they get in 😆

Just now, Bob Long said:

Who has time for that? Having a snapshot like @Boudrias is talking about isn't hard to produce. 

But every opposition claims a lack of transparency, until they get in 😆

But why make it a provincial burden?  For example, it only took me a quick google of "cranbrook audited financial statements" to arrive at https://cranbrook.ca/our-city/city-departments/finance/annual-reports

The provincial site would essentially add a cost of site (database) maintenance and security to regurgitate the same data.  I still don't see how it's an effective use of tax dollars.

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

But why make it a provincial burden?  For example, it only took me a quick google of "cranbrook audited financial statements" to arrive at https://cranbrook.ca/our-city/city-departments/finance/annual-reports

The provincial site would essentially add a cost of site (database) maintenance and security to regurgitate the same data.  I still don't see how it's an effective use of tax dollars.

Why? So people and the media can hold government to account? Maybe you don't want that for this version, but I bet you would if the cons win.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Why? So people and the media can hold government to account? Maybe you don't want that for this version, but I bet you would if the cons win.

Actually, no - because the cost outweighs the benefits. There are better uses of provincial tax dollars than using it to reinvent the wheel.

edit, or in this case, parrot what's already available on local sites

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

Actually, no - because the cost outweighs the benefits. There are better uses of provincial tax dollars than using it to reinvent the wheel.

Huh. I would think getting people more engaged in how their taxes are used would be important 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Bob Long said:

Huh. I would think getting people more engaged in how their taxes are used would be important 🤷‍♂️

I still fail to see how citizens are any less engaged by looking up data that already exists on a municipal site vs a provincial site, but you do you, sport.  :hurhur:

• Cheers 1

I still fail to see how citizens are any less engaged by looking up data that already exists on a municipal site vs a provincial site, but you do you, sport.  :hurhur:

Ok Sparky, I guess you have more time than others.

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

edit, or in this case, parrot what's already available on local sites

What real cost? Municipalities must submit their financial statements to Victoria. I assume that is in PDF format. How much work is it to download that onto a website? Yes this info is available on most municipal sites, but not all. I just thought it would be easier to do what other provinces are doing.  

• ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What real cost? Municipalities must submit their financial statements to Victoria. I assume that is in PDF format. How much work is it to download that onto a website? Yes this info is available on most municipal sites, but not all. I just thought it would be easier to do what other provinces are doing.  

What happens then when the figures between the two sites don't match?  I would consider the provincial figures to be second-hand info vs. the municipal site's statement, and any audit firm worth their name would protect their brand jealously by ensuring what the municipality has presented on their site is what they audited.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
clarifying "it" as "their brand"

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

the province likely has already compiled it internally. 

Are we really complaining that we have to google "(municipalty name) financial statements" rather than googling "BC cities financial statements" in here? Jesus. There is no extra work on the citizen or less transparancy on the govt's part by going to the muni's website to see the financials. 

• Vintage 1

B.C. secures eight new sites for middle-income rental housing scheme

LANGLEY, B.C. — British Columbia has secured eight new sites for its BC Builds program, in which land owned by the province, non-profits or community groups is pre-zoned to build middle-income rental housing.

https://www.timescolonist.com/bc-news/bc-secures-eight-new-sites-for-middle-income-rental-housing-scheme-8669339

• Cheers 1

Four Island Health facilities grapple with flu, norovirus-like outbreaks

Norovirus-like outbreaks have been declared at Victoria General Hospital and Saanich Peninsula Hospital, while long-term care facilities in Port Alberni and Nanaimo are dealing with Influenza A outbreaks

• Sad 1

A G&M editorial on Haida Gwaii.  Interesting in itself but also interesting are the variety of comments (at the end of the article) to such developments.

Reconciliation: On Haida Gwaii, an island of change for Indigenous land talks

An agreement signed on April 14 between the province and the Haida has ended a long period of legal uncertainty over who owns the one million hectares of land on Haida Gwaii. It’s also a key moment in the national effort at reconciliation with Indigenous communities.

The province has now acknowledged Haida Gwaii belongs to the Haida. It will introduce legislation this spring that will relinquish title of Crown lands, which make up about half the land base. But what that means, precisely, remains opaque. There is no model for what the two parties have done. Ownership has been clarified without first establishing the governance structure attached to Haida title. The broad agreement looks to be sound, but the province needs to act expeditiously to fill in the blanks.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gift/5647385edcff2020c0b78cafdec336f965b6fac6c5bf41ffeb1ac3eb5cc30ad2/AIWELMJENRES7PLZM7QOKK4U34/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

A G&M editorial on Haida Gwaii.  Interesting in itself but also interesting are the variety of comments (at the end of the article) to such developments.

Reconciliation: On Haida Gwaii, an island of change for Indigenous land talks

An agreement signed on April 14 between the province and the Haida has ended a long period of legal uncertainty over who owns the one million hectares of land on Haida Gwaii. It’s also a key moment in the national effort at reconciliation with Indigenous communities.

The province has now acknowledged Haida Gwaii belongs to the Haida. It will introduce legislation this spring that will relinquish title of Crown lands, which make up about half the land base. But what that means, precisely, remains opaque. There is no model for what the two parties have done. Ownership has been clarified without first establishing the governance structure attached to Haida title. The broad agreement looks to be sound, but the province needs to act expeditiously to fill in the blanks.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gift/5647385edcff2020c0b78cafdec336f965b6fac6c5bf41ffeb1ac3eb5cc30ad2/AIWELMJENRES7PLZM7QOKK4U34/

I knew before I clicked on the comments section that it would be rife with fear mongering and ignorance....kudos to R Banta and Bridgeport for balancing the clueless arguments with facts.

B.C. to provide $155.7 million to recruit and retain specialized health workers

VANCOUVER — The British Columbia government is spending more money to recruit and retain health-science workers, while expanding an incentive program to dozens more rural communities. Health Minister Adrian Dix says $155.

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

No Province will ever pay off their deficit.

So does the ndp have a plan to grow our economy ?

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

And this is money well spent for a change lol

That's debatable.

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Greater Victoria real estate listings top 3,000 for first time since 2019

Listing numbers are up by a whopping 47.7 per cent from April 2023

Looks like the Airbnb crackdown is working as intended.