B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Elenore Sturko's defection to BC Conservatives confuses, disappoints LGBTQ+ advocates

SURREY, B.C. — LGBTQ+ advocates in British Columbia say some in their communities are confused and disappointed by the political defection of legislator Elenore Sturko to the BC Conservatives, whose policies she once opposed.

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If you own a home here you;re about to become an overnight millionaire.

Just saying.  Look at property in Spain, Greece Italy Portugal and Belize or Nicaragua.  It's VERY inexpensive and everyone works remotely.

Just saying

but this can't happen to me at this point Hip, I paid off my mortgage so now I want prices to flat line so my taxes don't go up. It's all about me. 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

but this can't happen to me at this point Hip, I paid off my mortgage so now I want prices to flat line so my taxes don't go up. It's all about me. 

Maybe so.  But knowing I can sell my house, buy a condo still AND still buy actual property in one of the aforementioned countries.

I'm debating cashing in

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Les Leyne: Could the upstart B.C. Conservatives swallow BC United whole?

Starting from nothing just 14 months ago, John Rustad now has four MLAs and a wide lead over BC United in the polls

We've seen it happen more than once with that side of the isle.  If it happens, at least their name will more closely resemble what side of the isle they occupy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Maybe so.  But knowing I can sell my house, buy a condo still AND still buy actual property in one of the aforementioned countries.

this is pretty much what my wife and I did. We have decided to not buy any more property, just invest and skate into early retirement soon. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm debating cashing in

it never hurts to do the exercise of picking your number. If someone wants to give it to you, go for it. 

But for me a house and land we kind of overrated. I'm not a lawn guy, don't care for all the maintenance. 

• Vintage 1

On 6/3/2024 at 6:49 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Makes no sense to me. I don't see the benefit of an overdrive of immigration to your Canadian citizen or said persons immigrating. We're both worse off. 

Without the immigration, the entire pyramid scheme (our economy and everything supporting our aging population) collapses. Pick your poison.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Without the immigration, the entire pyramid scheme (our economy and everything supporting our aging population) collapses. Pick your poison.

The poison either kills you slowly or drops a bomb on everything. 

I think we are kind of fucked regardless. Younger generations in particular. Dreams of owning a home or starting a family is seeming more like a pipe dream with each passing day. 

Dr. Daniel Vigo from UBC is now a new scientific advisor appointed to come up with recommendations on dealing with some of BC most challenging chronic patients: Those suffering from brain injuries, mental health conditions, and addictions simultaneously (overdoses can cause brain injuries). Dr. Vigo stated that they will analyze what interventions will be most effective; whether they are voluntary or not. 

There has been a few members here calling for mandatory treatment programs. I thought they'd be interested to know it's on the table.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-s-brain-injured-mentally-ill-drug-users-forced-treatment-on-the-table-for-clinical-triad-1.6915546

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The poison either kills you slowly or drops a bomb on everything. 

I think we are kind of fucked regardless. Younger generations in particular. Dreams of owning a home or starting a family is seeming more like a pipe dream with each passing day. 

Ok, but what's the better solution? Try and fumble our way through things, likely struggling over the coming decades... Or "drop a bomb on everything" and basically guarantee everything goes to shit? Immediately and hard.

Edited by aGENT

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Ok, but what's the better solution? Try and fumble our way through things, likely struggling over the coming decades... Or "drop a bomb on everything" and basically guarantee everything goes to shit? Immediately and hard.

Not saying I know just was an observation/remark on the situation.

Just that the younger generations like mine are gonna somehow have to turn dog shit into chocolate cake to make the most of these times. 

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not saying I know just was an observation/remark on the situation.

Just that the younger generations like mine are gonna somehow have to turn dog shit into chocolate cake to make the most of these times. 

I'd suggest starting with the disparity in wage growth between the boss/ceo level and  'Joe/Jane six pack'.

Might want to stop sending money to other countries as foreign aid, and instead send people/experts and whatever excess food and such, that we have.

Huge list of stuff needing to be done.

Here's the bad news- the odds of anything significant actually changing is very, very small.

Very few people will really try to change stuff- too easy to sit at home-either playing x-box or watching tv- plus a lot of folk have no time due to taking the kids to various outings.

"Sire, the peasants are getting restless"

"Send in the circus, and give them a bit of extra bread for a week or two" sayeth the King.

• Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'd suggest starting with the disparity in wage growth between the boss/ceo level and  'Joe/Jane six pack'.

whats an acceptable gap, in your opinion? how much more is it OK for someone to make thats got more skills/education/willingness to put in ridiculous hours? 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

whats an acceptable gap, in your opinion? how much more is it OK for someone to make thats got more skills/education/willingness to put in ridiculous hours? 

Let's start  with some numbers that allow working folk to close this gap

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/16/ceos-see-pay-grow-1000percent-and-now-make-278-times-the-average-worker.html#:~:text=The pay gap between top executives and workers,CEOs now make 278 times the average worker.

Top corporate executives have seen their pay grow by more than 1,000% over the past 40 years, nearly 100 times the rate of average workers, according to a study released this week.

With wealth disparity continuing to accelerate, particularly since the financial crisis, the Economic Policy Institute reports that the gap between CEOs at the top 350 U.S. firms and the rank and file remains wide.

In terms of pay, benefits and the value of stock options when they are exercised, total CEO compensation growth was 1,007.5% from 1978 to 2018. That compares with a wage increase of just 11.9% for what the liberal-leaning institute terms “average workers.” Using another measure of compensation, which takes into account the realized value of the options when they were granted, the CEO comp growth still stood at 940.3%.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Let's start  with some numbers that allow working folk to close this gap

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/16/ceos-see-pay-grow-1000percent-and-now-make-278-times-the-average-worker.html#:~:text=The pay gap between top executives and workers,CEOs now make 278 times the average worker.

Top corporate executives have seen their pay grow by more than 1,000% over the past 40 years, nearly 100 times the rate of average workers, according to a study released this week.

With wealth disparity continuing to accelerate, particularly since the financial crisis, the Economic Policy Institute reports that the gap between CEOs at the top 350 U.S. firms and the rank and file remains wide.

In terms of pay, benefits and the value of stock options when they are exercised, total CEO compensation growth was 1,007.5% from 1978 to 2018. That compares with a wage increase of just 11.9% for what the liberal-leaning institute terms “average workers.” Using another measure of compensation, which takes into account the realized value of the options when they were granted, the CEO comp growth still stood at 940.3%.

but that doesn't really answer my question. What do you think is acceptable?

CEO is also a competitive position that can be canned at any time, with highly skilled candidates and more responsibility than anyone else in the company.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-pay-in-2020/#:~:text=Using the realized compensation measure%2C the CEO-to-worker,1970s%2C 1980s%2C or 1990s.

I'd like to see this rolled back to where it was in the 70's or so.

• Upvote 1

Gawd, BC politics are boring.....🙄

Couldn't one of you guys post a photo of Falcon in drag, or blame Eby for the shite weather.....maybe resurrect a 20 year old photo of Farnsworth in brownface? something?

Just now, King Heffy said:

Raise the tax on upper tax brackets and give rebates to the working class.

But King, you have to look at the scale of this, it's a red herring thing. Say you took all of Galen's 12 million annual salary and redistributed it. Loblaws has 2,455 stores, and 136,000 employees. So it's ~$4,800 per store to reduce food prices, or each employee gets $88 more per year. 

I get people are shocked at the salaries but it's a free market for talent, it will regulate itself as public companies see fit. 

As far as benefiting workers or food prices its a joke, the math doesn't add up.

23 hours ago, Bob Long said:

this is pretty much what my wife and I did. We have decided to not buy any more property, just invest and skate into early retirement soon. 

it never hurts to do the exercise of picking your number. If someone wants to give it to you, go for it. 

But for me a house and land we kind of overrated. I'm not a lawn guy, don't care for all the maintenance. 

I hear you, BUT, my wife and I lived in quite a large condo (1100 sq ft) for a little over a month. When we got home I was so glad I had something to do outside. We're both in our 70's, but I can't see us moving out from what we have, unless we're forced too. Health issues being one of those. Our home has a ground level suite that would work anyway, so we do have options. I want to go on my terms too, I'm kinda stubborn that way.

• MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

But King, you have to look at the scale of this, it's a red herring thing. Say you took all of Galen's 12 million annual salary and redistributed it. Loblaws has 2,455 stores, and 136,000 employees. So it's ~$4,800 per store to reduce food prices, or each employee gets $88 more per year. 

I get people are shocked at the salaries but it's a free market for talent, it will regulate itself as public companies see fit. 

As far as benefiting workers or food prices its a joke, the math doesn't add up.

Now repeat for the rest of the upper management and you're seeing a benefit.

2 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I hear you, BUT, my wife and I lived in quite a large condo (1100 sq ft) for a little over a month. When we got home I was so glad I had something to do outside. We're both in our 70's, but I can't see us moving out from what we have, unless we're forced too. Health issues being one of those. Our home has a ground level suite that would work anyway, so we do have options. I want to go on my terms too, I'm kinda stubborn that way.

and thats great, people have to pick what works for them. I love my concrete box, but get thats not for everyone too. I just hated all the lawn care 😆

• Cheers 1