B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's great to write checks.... How will the NDP pay for it? I don't think that's unreasonable to ask.

The alternative is the Conservatives.  Their party platform talks about privatizing healthcare....no mandatory vaccines....and fully funding religious private schools.

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

The alternative is the Conservatives.  Their party platform talks about privatizing healthcare....no mandatory vaccines....and fully funding religious private schools.

I don't accept that argument. The ndp can't be allowed to ring up debt with no plan to pay it off, "because con"

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I don't accept that argument. The ndp can't be allowed to ring up debt with no plan to pay it off, "because con"

Isn't that what all politicians do these days? Left or right there does not seem to be a plan to actually pay down debt or at a minimum quit racking it up. The economics escapes the vast majority of people. It is incumbent for society's leaders to explain how debt undermines all aspects of society. Politicians use debt to buy votes, plain and simple. People are getting upset with governments in power whether provincial or federal because their standard of living is hurting. That is what is motivating their vote but they are failing to understand why. 

Can the BC Cons or the federal CPC fix things? Probably not but in the 30 second sound bite does that matter? Progressive thought supports increases to the social support system and damn the economics. Conservatives think they are smarter and that pro business will grow the economy towards a spending balance. I question whether either will work as the nations balance sheet deteriorates. 

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Isn't that what all politicians do these days? Left or right there does not seem to be a plan to actually pay down debt or at a minimum quit racking it up. The economics escapes the vast majority of people. It is incumbent for society's leaders to explain how debt undermines all aspects of society. Politicians use debt to buy votes, plain and simple. People are getting upset with governments in power whether provincial or federal because their standard of living is hurting. That is what is motivating their vote but they are failing to understand why. 

Hey I'm all for writing cheques if we can afford to. We can't rack up debt on things that aren't actual investments, with no plan. Eby has no actual plans for the economy. He isn't directly interfering, yet, which is something at least. But I do wonder what their land use planning will do to major investment.

BC is becoming more and more attractive for a wide range of projects so maybe the business community will do the work for him if he can manage to stay out of the way.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Can the BC Cons or the federal CPC fix things? Probably not but in the 30 second sound bite does that matter? Progressive thought supports increases to the social support system and damn the economics. Conservatives think they are smarter and that pro business will grow the economy towards a spending balance. I question whether either will work as the nations balance sheet deteriorates. 

Unfortunately the BC cons don't appear to be a smart group that way, they are embracing some very dumb social con stuff that won't lead to anything positive. Like the NDP, if the cons manage to win, I hope that they just leave business alone.

15 hours ago, Bob Long said:

well I will NEVER vote for the anti vax party.  End of story.  And it's not like they have given ANY ideas as to what they will do.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

well I will NEVER vote for the anti vax party.  End of story.  And it's not like they have given ANY ideas as to what they will do.

What good will not holding the NDP to account do? Great they'll write cheques for a while and have to stop at some point. 

We have to demand better of whoever has power, not just say oh well at least it's not the guy I hate. 

• Cheers 1

'Truly a great British Columbian': Former B.C. premier John Horgan has cancer again

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/truly-a-great-british-columbian-former-b-c-premier-john-horgan-has-cancer-again-1.6940507

Former B.C. premier and current Canadian ambassador to Germany John Horgan has been diagnosed with cancer for a third time.

In a statement, Horgan said he had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer following a routine medical appointment in Berlin.

He is now on leave from his current position while receiving immunotherapy treatment.

Horgan said his latest diagnosis is separate from the throat cancer he survived during his time as premier, and "has proven to be complicated."

• Sad 4

First Nations, Ottawa, B.C., announce $335M for protection off Great Bear coast

The initiative builds on the Great Bear Rainforest model, which has protected large swaths of old-growth forests while supporting job creation and economic diversification for communities along the coast.

This is certainly good news for the people of Kitimaat:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/haisla-nation-signs-off-on-multi-billion-dollar-cedar-lng-plant-for-b-c-coast/ar-BB1oTctq?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=66b66a034eae4c47b813ba5454f6f980&ei=135

Another liquified natural gas export plant on British Columbia's coast is poised to go ahead.

On Tuesday, the Haisla Nation and its partner Pembina Pipeline Corporation announced a green light with their final investment decision in the Cedar LNG plant.

The $US3.4-billion project will see the construction of a floating LNG facility in Haisla territory in Kitimat.

The nation is a majority owner in the project with a 50.1 per cent stake.

"With Cedar LNG, we have proven that Indigenous communities can successfully forge a path to economic independence and generational prosperity," Haisla Chief Councillor Crystal Smith said in a statement.

"We have created a model for how sustainable energy development should be done, with Indigenous Nations as owners, balancing environmental interests with global demand for cleaner energy."

The project has already secured all major regulator approvals and has signed an agreement with the Coastal GasLink Pipeline for the delivery of 400 million cubic feet of natural gas per day, once it is up and running.

Cedar LNG estimates the project will be in service by late 2028.

B.C. Energy Minister Josie Osborne hailed the investment decision.

It should also be good news for the pro-energy folks...even if it did happen on the NDP's watch.....right?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

This is certainly good news for the people of Kitimaat:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/haisla-nation-signs-off-on-multi-billion-dollar-cedar-lng-plant-for-b-c-coast/ar-BB1oTctq?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=66b66a034eae4c47b813ba5454f6f980&ei=135

It should also be good news for the pro-energy folks...even if it did happen on the NDP's watch.....right?

It's great news, for a few reasons. 

And yes it's good the NDP didn't get in the way.

Vancouver mayor changed boardroom into makeshift gym: councillor

It appears one of the boardrooms at Vancouver City Hall was turned into a gym. Coun. Pete Fry posted an image of it to social media. (Courtesy Pete Fry)

Posted June 26, 2024 6:59 am.

Last Updated June 26, 2024 7:50 am.

The spending habits and priorities of Vancouver’s mayor are being called into question after it appears one of the boardrooms at City Hall was turned into a gym.

Green Party Coun. Pete Fry posted an image of the boardroom to social media. Scattered sparsely around the carpet is some workout equipment, including what looks to be a Peleton bike, a squat rack, and one set of dumbells.

Fry says back in early January, staff were notified via email by City Manager Paul Mochrie that the mayor and his staff needed to use the Ceremonial Boardroom and the Grouse Room, but didn’t explain why.

The memo stated, in part, that it was for “regular operations of the Mayor and his office team.”

Fry explains that on Friday he was grabbing a drink in the nearby kitchenette and saw the door was unlocked and open. He looked inside and realized the room had been turned into a gym.

“The door is normally locked to the non-ABC councillors, they’re all key-card door swipes and so we haven’t been able to access that room,” explained Fry.

“It was quite a well-used facility for councillors. Our offices are quite small so when we have delegations that we need to meet … we would book a boardroom and we would have meetings there. I was shocked to learn it had been turned into a half-assed gym. Not even a real gym, really.”

He’s calling out the mayor for his part in the changes.

“We used it for city business and it’s a taxpayer-funded civic facility and it seems really out of touch to be repurposing it for such a trivial, non-use.”

Fry explains there’s already a gym at City Hall.

“There’s a gym in City Hall’s basement and they do have rotating trainers that come through as well.”

Fry maintains his frustration isn’t due to the fact it’s a gym, but instead the way City Hall resources are being used.

“It’s also disdainful of the public who voted for Ken Sim, who ran on a platform of reducing partisan activity in the Mayor’s Office. He called overspending in the Mayor’s Office the ‘dumb spend’ and then proceeded to massively increase his office budget, much more than any of his predecessors,” Fry explained.

“It smacks of hypocrisy, and it really is painful from the perspective of we have so many important issues in the city, we have so much need and then to just trivialize the hard work that we do as councillors and try to make the city a better place by misusing a boardroom like this.”

The councillor says there are a limited number of boardrooms available at City Hall and he doesn’t get the thought process behind the move.

“This repurposing of a civic facility for the mayor’s personal use is highly inappropriate.”

This comes as Coun. Christine Boyle is pushing for more financial transparency from the mayor’s office. She’s called into question the office’s spending, saying his budget keeps going up but it’s unclear where the money is going.

She and Fry both described Ken Sim’s office as having “infuriating behaviour.”

This week, city council voted to add a new administrative position to Sim’s office, with an $80,000 salary, which was budgeted for the position.

On Tuesday, Fry says things got tense at city council when the new position was approved. He, Boyle and Coun. Adriane Carr didn’t agree with it.

“ABC shut down the conversation and used a sort of arcane procedural process to call the question, which they were able to do with their supermajority, and basically shut down any debate. We weren’t able to ask any more questions. We weren’t able to ask for more transparency from the Mayor’s Office.”

He adds he’s frustrated by all this.

“How when we’re asking legitimate questions on behalf of the taxpayers of Vancouver and the democratic process that we get shut down using brute force bullying majority tactics. We should be allowed to do our job and ask the tough questions when we think democracy is being upended and maybe public funds are being misused.”

The position is in addition to the $100,000 increase in discretionary funding for the mayor’s personal office, which was approved in December.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/06/26/vancouver-mayor-boardroom-gym-spending/

Because article's embedded xits don't quote nicely:

• Haha 1

Catholic Church and B.C. First Nation unveil covenant on residential schools

The covenant between the archdiocese, the Tkemlups te Secwepemc and the Diocese of Kamloops was signed in March, about three years after the First Nation said about 200 possible unmarked burial sites had been found around the former school.

22 hours ago, Bob Long said:

It's great news, for a few reasons. 

And yes it's good the NDP didn't get in the way.

If I'm not mistaken, Horgan was all in on these LNG projects. I don't think Eby would be any different.

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

If I'm not mistaken, Horgan was all in on these LNG projects. I don't think Eby would be any different.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

They were, but a lot of the base isn't. 

I'm guessing you mean the Environmental portion of the base?

I consider myself part of that faction, but I don't think that means you can't be happy about a project like the one in Kitimaat. There seems to be an "all or nothing" narrative that pops up every time there is a discussion on Energy vs. The Environment, but I happen to believe there is middle ground.

IMO, there are "dirty" energy sources and there are varying degrees of energy sources that are less so. Hydro is about as clean as it gets, but LNG is still an improvement over oil and especially over coal. Nuclear is another clean option, but there doesn't seem to be much of a push behind that idea.

Of course there are sources like Solar, Wind and Tidal, but those will likely never be able handle the bulk of our energy needs. The key is to incorporate all of these options into the grid and hopefully lessen our reliance on coal and oil.....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm guessing you mean the Environmental portion of the base?

I consider myself part of that faction, but I don't think that means you can't be happy about a project like the one in Kitimaat. There seems to be an "all or nothing" narrative that pops up every time there is a discussion on Energy vs. The Environment, but I happen to believe there is middle ground.

IMO, there are "dirty" energy sources and there are varying degrees of energy sources that are less so. Hydro is about as clean as it gets, but LNG is still an improvement over oil and especially over coal. Nuclear is another clean option, but there doesn't seem to be much of a push behind that idea.

Of course there are sources like Solar, Wind and Tidal, but those will likely never be able handle the bulk of our energy needs. The key is to incorporate all of these options into the grid and hopefully lessen our reliance on coal and oil.....

and thats a very reasonable take. 

SMR's are the way to go in other parts of Canada, we don't really need that in BC. Very cool tech tho. 

Part of it imo is that we can colour this project orange, so it's "OK". If its the old Lib's doing it, it would be hair on fire time.

One thing I did respect about Horgan is he knew where our bread was buttered, in real resource projects not slogans. Someone like Kennedy Stewart would have tanked Site C. e.g.

The part I'm very happy about tho is the First Nations involvement, this is the way forward. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Victory, of a sort!

BC Humanist Association

BC MUNICIPALITIES PRAYER-FREE AS PARKSVILLE COMMITS TO RELIGIOUS NEUTRALITY IN FUTURE MEETINGS

We've done it *********

There will no longer be prayers in any municipal council meetings in BC.

Last week, we heard back from the City of Parksville's lawyers that the City's Mayor and Chief Administrative Officer have committed to ensuring no religious prayers are included in the next inaugural meeting. This follows the City of Vancouver acknowledging prayers at its 2022 inaugural meeting breached the duty of religious neutrality.

With these commitments, we no longer need to pursue legal actions against Parksville or Vancouver. These victories were achieved without spending a day in court.

We intend to remain vigilant, however, as we know prayers continue in many municipalities across Canada. We've also received reports of prayers at school boards.

We also intend to build off these victories promoting secular and inclusive government in BC and across Canada. Be part of the effort with a donation.

In Secularism

Executive Director

Separation of Church and State is an important concept. This has been a long road, but the end has arrived, for me this is a celebratory event! I took my name and the ED's name out of the email as i copied it here to protect the ahh, lets say innocent. haha.

• ThereItIs 3

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Victory, of a sort!

Separation of Church and State is an important concept. This has been a long road, but the end has arrived, for me this is a celebratory event! I took my name and the ED's name out of the email as i copied it here to protect the ahh, lets say innocent. haha.

Now do providence health.

• Vintage 1