B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

So here's something that should get the right whipped up. I doubt it gets certified, but it is BC so who knows.

A proposed class action lawsuit has been filed in B.C. Supreme Court alleging both the province and federal government are responsible for the addictions and in one case the death of teens gaining access to diverted supply.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10699432/class-action-lawsuit-bc-government-safe-supply-drug-program/

What Does Addiction Do To The Brain?

Addiction impacts the brain on many levels. The chemical compounds in stimulants, nicotine, opioids, alcohol, and sedatives enter the brain and bloodstream upon use.

Once a chemical enters the brain, it can cause people to lose control of their impulses or crave a harmful substance.

When someone develops an addiction, the brain craves the reward of the substance.

This is due to the intense stimulation of the brain’s reward system. In response, many users continue use of the substance; this can lead to a host of euphoric feelings and strange behavioral traits.

Long-term addiction can have severe outcomes, such as brain damage, and can even result in death.

https://www.addictioncenter.com/addiction/addiction-brain/

• Upvote 1

https://www.fusfoundation.org/diseases-and-conditions/addiction-opioid/

Focused Ultrasound Therapy

Focused ultrasound is a noninvasive, therapeutic technology with the potential to improve the quality of life and decrease the cost of care for patients with addiction. This novel technology focuses beams of ultrasound energy precisely and accurately on targets deep in the brain, known to be involved in the craving or other manifestations of addiction. 

How it Works
Where the beams converge, focused ultrasound can produce neuromodulation, which alters the nervous activity of the target cells which may decrease the craving for narcotics.

In the case of opioid abuse, the goal is to decrease the patients’ cravings for the drug. Though still in the early stages of development, for certain patients, these techniques have potential to provide a noninvasive, and more effective, treatment for addiction. Please see “Addiction, Other” for additional work using focused ultrasound on other addictions.

Advantages
Focused ultrasound is a noninvasive and non-pharmacologic technique that can reach the desired target(s) without damaging surrounding tissue. It can also be repeated, if necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

https://www.fusfoundation.org/diseases-and-conditions/addiction-opioid/

Focused Ultrasound Therapy

Focused ultrasound is a noninvasive, therapeutic technology with the potential to improve the quality of life and decrease the cost of care for patients with addiction. This novel technology focuses beams of ultrasound energy precisely and accurately on targets deep in the brain, known to be involved in the craving or other manifestations of addiction. 

How it Works
Where the beams converge, focused ultrasound can produce neuromodulation, which alters the nervous activity of the target cells which may decrease the craving for narcotics.

In the case of opioid abuse, the goal is to decrease the patients’ cravings for the drug. Though still in the early stages of development, for certain patients, these techniques have potential to provide a noninvasive, and more effective, treatment for addiction. Please see “Addiction, Other” for additional work using focused ultrasound on other addictions.

Advantages
Focused ultrasound is a noninvasive and non-pharmacologic technique that can reach the desired target(s) without damaging surrounding tissue. It can also be repeated, if necessary.

thats interesting. Looked to see if there were any clinical trials, looks like this is in the recruitment stages: https://clinicaltrials.gov/search?term=Focused Ultrasound&intr=addiction

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Like, errrbody is moving to the Island.

First ever grizzly bear sow and cubs spotted officially on Vancouver Island

https://www.cheknews.ca/first-ever-grizzly-bear-sow-and-cubs-spotted-officially-on-vancouver-island-1219244/

maybe they'll do something about the cougars.

I'm OK with black bears, ran into several climbing in Squamish. But grizz scare the shit out of me. I have no doubt I'd soil myself in the presence of one. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Way too many over here. I cant go to the mall without one of those botox tarts hitting on me.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/16/2024 at 2:30 PM, Bob Long said:

I'm OK with black bears, ran into several climbing in Squamish. But grizz scare the shit out of me. I have no doubt I'd soil myself in the presence of one. 

Me too. Glad they relocated to Memphis.

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2024 at 2:30 PM, Bob Long said:

Had sooo many close encounters with black bears over the years...like face to face with the resident alpha male...I mean 3 feet away as he poked his head out a dumpster. Also been 4 feet away from a cub with the mom took an aggressive posture...I knew one of her 3 cubs was somewhere I couldn't see. Didn't know it was mere feet away. I am not worried about them but there are more attacks from black bears than grizzlies. 

For a long time like 90% of all fatal cougar attacks were on Vancouver Island. Seen a dozen or so when I grew up there. 

8 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Had sooo many close encounters with black bears over the years...like face to face with the resident alpha male...I mean 3 feet away as he poked his head out a dumpster. Also been 4 feet away from a cub with the mom took an aggressive posture...I knew one of her 3 cubs was somewhere I couldn't see. Didn't know it was mere feet away. I am not worried about them but there are more attacks from black bears than grizzlies. 

For a long time like 90% of all fatal cougar attacks were on Vancouver Island. Seen a dozen or so when I grew up there. 

spent a lot of time in Smoke Bluffs, there's an actual resident black bear there that we ran into last year with her cub. We carry bear spray so wasn't worried, but they were not afraid of us in the least and a little too curious. My physio actually got bit running in the area, she's fine but freaked her out pretty bad.

Dunno, just something about those big grizzlies that make me think I'd be a meal. Black bears I feel like you at least have a fighting chance. 

On 8/15/2024 at 9:26 AM, Bob Long said:

So here's something that should get the right whipped up. I doubt it gets certified, but it is BC so who knows.

A proposed class action lawsuit has been filed in B.C. Supreme Court alleging both the province and federal government are responsible for the addictions and in one case the death of teens gaining access to diverted supply.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10699432/class-action-lawsuit-bc-government-safe-supply-drug-program/

Whats your view?

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

According to CTV..

BC Cons are now ahead in the polls over the NDP.

Just so it's clear, I am in no way a BC con supporter.

But the BC ndp is dropping the ball in a number of areas, this doesn't surprise me at all.

23 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I thought everyone loved the ndp now cuz if their housing initiatives & municipal hand slapping what changed?

Maybe don't freak out people outside the lower mainland with land use aspirations? No real improvement in health care. Slow on infrastructure. TransLink and BC ferries blow.

I'm sure you can add more.

12 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Maybe don't freak out people outside the lower mainland with land use aspirations? No real improvement in health care. Slow on infrastructure. TransLink and BC ferries blow.

I'm sure you can add more.

A lot of small businesses are struggling up my way. Summer traffic has been very light. Health care or the lack of it is a on going conversation topic. Open drug use. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A lot of small businesses are struggling up my way. Summer traffic has been very light. Health care or the lack of it is a on going conversation topic. Open drug use. 

There's an interesting experiment happening in Airdrie with a private care delivery in rural areas: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-airdrie-one-health-ahs-urgent-care-1.7297676

I think this could be where battle lines are drawn in the next provincial election if it works and the BC ndp won't allow it here.

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

There's an interesting experiment happening in Airdrie with a private care delivery in rural areas: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-airdrie-one-health-ahs-urgent-care-1.7297676

I think this could be where battle lines are drawn in the next provincial election if it works and the BC ndp won't allow it here.

I think options have to be looked at. I do not understand why the 'back office' of health care is not standardized with a software program that delivers patient oversight and admin costs to government. When you consider the $'s spent it seems like a no brainer. My wife's doctor still records long hand. Her office regularly loses referrals. The NDP will have a hard time defending their record here. The BC Cons are talking about some Euro models they want to try. Hopefully both parties will develop a fleshed out plan. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Summer traffic has been very light.

Dont know where you live but the island was booming from what I saw.

It's happening more and more each year as the interior has forest fires filling up the schedule for many years to come. So who want to book in for camping etc up there?

Van Isl is one of the best places on earth. I can see more tourism and real estate going nuts going forward. 

• Vintage 1

I do not think the BC Cons have the firepower people think.  

Case in point was one such darling in the Penticton region in one Amelia Boultbee.

Just google her name and see what comes up.

It is not pretty.  She was considered a potential up and comer or star MLA potential, taking over for former mayor and BC Liberal MLA Dan Ashton (who of course jumped directly to running for the Pierre federal Conservatives after getting his BC MLAs pension) 

Her words, actions and how she is treating and attacking people on social media at random times of the day is seriously concerning and she is the epitome of what is wrong with the Conservative brand still.  New parties need to vet their candidates better.  Rustad will be facing the uphill battle of defending claims he is not just a BC LIberal retread after having absorbed so many aisle crossers and former BC Liberal MLAs in to the party.  There is still a loud and clear social message that will not be met with much in the way of approval either.

While the BC NDP may have the same fialings in the exact same areas as the BC Liberals did for so many years, they are not as bad as everyone claimed they would be when they took power and in fact have not been as bad as people pretend they are.