B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

A guy just quoted my neighbour to do his fencing at $120 per hour. The guy doing my car resto is $100 per hour. My nephew-in-law is $75+ per hour to operate his excavator. 

I dont know what people should be paid these days but these examples show that there are classic jobs that pay well. Jobs that require very little education too, so they avoid that pesky law of diminishing returns due to student debt. 

$75/hr is low!

My general rule of thumb is 1/3 for labour, 1/3 for overhead, 1/3 for the owner.

If you own the company and are the labour that's 2/3s.

There's no way in hell I'm getting out of bed for $50 an hour if I own a business. Too much risk.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, chris12345 said:

$75/hr is low!

My general rule of thumb is 1/3 for labour, 1/3 for overhead, 1/3 for the owner.

If you own the company and are the labour that's 2/3s.

There's no way in hell I'm getting out of bed for $50 an hour if I own a business. Too much risk.

In my town the small businesses are all struggling and many are shutting down. Small business has always been the backbone of my community. Today the best paid workers here are those paid by government. Most government spending is consumptive and does not generate revenue. The BC government will overspend by $5 billion this year and does not have a plan for balancing their spending versus income. The long term consequences of debt do not get discussed well enough. Deficit spending is largely an admission of failure. It is taxing the future and to hell with them. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

In my town the small businesses are all struggling and many are shutting down. Small business has always been the backbone of my community. Today the best paid workers here are those paid by government. Most government spending is consumptive and does not generate revenue. The BC government will overspend by $5 billion this year and does not have a plan for balancing their spending versus income. The long term consequences of debt do not get discussed well enough. Deficit spending is largely an admission of failure. It is taxing the future and to hell with them. 

I wonder what the solution is.

If the poster you are talking to was in law enforcement, he would never get out of bed.

Unless, he moves up to mgmt, which takes at least 5 years min. The quickest I have heard is 8yrs.

Yet I googled, gov vs private and you are right. Gov on avg pays more....so I wonder if it's what I and @Bob Long were talking about yesterday....too many positions in management.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • ThereItIs 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/bc-hydro-begins-filling-reservoir-as-site-c-dam-megaproject-nears-completion/ar-AA1ppnaH?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e518e0ed25bc4016ab453b539ec48fd4&ei=36

"

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — BC Hydro says it has begun filling the reservoir created by the massive Site C dam project in northeastern British Columbia.

The provincial electric utility says in a statement that the filling of the reservoir is one of the last steps toward starting operations for the controversial dam project, located about 14 kilometres southwest of Fort St. John, B.C.

BC Hydro says it will take between two and four months to fill the 83-kilometre-long reservoir, which will cover about 5,550 hectares of land while totalling about 9,330 hectares in surface area.

The utility is warning people to stay away from the area of the reservoir for at least a year after it has been filled, citing possible unstable terrain and floating debris as potential hazards.

Construction of Site C was launched in 2015 under then-premier Christy Clark's BC Liberals government and has seen cost estimates spike from up to $6.6 billion in 2007 to $16 billion in 2021.

Multiple groups opposed the province's plan to complete the dam after the NDP formed government in B.C. in 2017, but former premier John Horgan said the dam needed to be finished despite his party not supporting the start of construction in the first place.

Horgan said at the time that cancelling the megaproject mid-construction would have meant laying off 4,500 workers as well as the loss of $10 billion in costs already sunk in building the dam, resulting in a 26 per cent increase in B.C. residents' hydro bills over 10 years.

The project had been opposed by groups such as the Peace Valley Landowner Association, Prophet River First Nation and West Moberly First Nations on both environmental and land-rights grounds.

BC Hydro says construction is now more than 85-per-cent complete, with the first power-generating unit on-site scheduled to begin operations in December.

When all six power generators are operational by fall 2025, BC Hydro says Site C will add 1,100 megawatts of electricity capacity while producing about 5,100 gigawatt hours annually — about an eight-per-cent increase to the province's overall power supply.

BC Hydro says Site C will provide enough clean electricity to reliably power nearly 500,000 homes or 1.7 million electric vehicles when fully operational.

The provincial utility says the project also remains on track to be completed within the $16-billion budget established in 2021.

The idea of Site C — a third dam on the Peace River in northeastern B.C. — began decades ago but had been shelved in 1989 due to local opposition.

• Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 8/24/2024 at 9:29 AM, bishopshodan said:

I wonder what the solution is.

If the poster you are talking to was in law enforcement, he would never get out of bed.

Unless, he moves up to mgmt, which takes at least 5 years min. The quickest I have heard is 8yrs.

Yet I googled, gov vs private and you are right. Gov on avg pays more....so I wonder if it's what I and @Bob Long were talking about yesterday....too many positions in management.

To be fair, I believe the other poster was referring to a small business owner/operator (tradespeople for the most part) not getting out of bed for that dollar amount. That's entirely different than an employee of a company, without all the overhead, working for those dollar figures.

• Cheers 1

Bruce, there it is.

B.C. United suspends campaign to merge with B.C. Conservatives

Under Leader John Rustad, the B.C. Conservatives have been climbing in the polls and raking in donations

karin-larsen.jpg
Karin Larsen · CBC News · Posted: Aug 28, 2024 12:53 PM PDT | Last Updated: 7 minutes ago
A composite of two men wearing suits, talking and gesturing with their hands.
B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad, left, and B.C. United Leader Kevin Falcon, right. (Chad Hipolito/The Canadian Press)

The B.C. United Party is suspending its campaign and joining forces with the surging Conservative Party of B.C. in a move intended to unite the right-of-centre vote ahead of the October 19th provincial election.

B.C. United campaign manager Mark Werner confirmed that Kevin Falcon will step down and the party will merge with the B.C Conservatives.

It's unclear how many B.C. United candidates will run under the Conservative banner.

Under leader John Rustad, the B.C. Conservatives have been climbing in the polls and raking in donations. Rustad has scheduled a news conference for 2:40 p.m. PT.

Last week, a survey from Mainstreet Research put the B.C. Conservatives in the lead in terms of voting intention at 36 per cent support, ahead of the governing B.C. NDP at 33 per cent. 

More to come.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-united-suspends-campaign-to-merge-with-b-c-conservatives-1.7307302

The faux liberals finally strip their sheep's clothing and affirm who they really are.

• Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Bruce, there it is.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-united-suspends-campaign-to-merge-with-b-c-conservatives-1.7307302

The faux liberals finally strip their sheep's clothing and affirm who they really are.

Jim Bob has no political home 😆

I can't/won't vote NDP, the BC cons are vile. Whats a political junkie to do? 

maybe all isn't lost for me, this was the result in my riding last time. The liberal votes going to Sam Sullivan wouldn't have been your hard right con types, and there's a pretty decent green showing. 

Maybe the greens can take this one with the right candidate. That'll be my vote. 

Party Candidate Votes % ±% Expenditures
  New Democratic Brenda Bailey 11,484 46.77 +6.30 $47,212.32
  Liberal Sam Sullivan 9,217 37.54 −4.62 $85,582.35
  Green Maayan Kreitzman 3,108 12.66 −3.11 $9,079.62
  Conservative Erik Gretland 465 1.89 $1,126.02
  Libertarian Naomi Chocyk 280 1.14 +0.27 $0.00

38 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I wonder what all my MLAs are going to do.  Aside from the Lois Boone (BC NDP)  run, PG has been solidly Reform/CON Federally and have been BC Lib for ages.  

I ain't voting for them regardless what they do.

the NDP could be in real trouble. I don't think the Libs/United will all convert to BC Con votes by any means, but even if they retain 1/3 to 1/2 of them it really puts the NDP in a tough spot if the polls are accurate: https://338canada.com/bc/polls.htm

This move likely makes the polling a tie overall. Not sure how it all breaks down by riding tho. 

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

maybe all isn't lost for me, this was the result in my riding last time. The liberal votes going to Sam Sullivan wouldn't have been your hard right con types, and there's a pretty decent green showing. 

Maybe the greens can take this one with the right candidate. That'll be my vote. 

Party Candidate Votes % ±% Expenditures
  New Democratic Brenda Bailey 11,484 46.77 +6.30 $47,212.32
  Liberal Sam Sullivan 9,217 37.54 −4.62 $85,582.35
  Green Maayan Kreitzman 3,108 12.66 −3.11 $9,079.62
  Conservative Erik Gretland 465 1.89 $1,126.02
  Libertarian Naomi Chocyk 280 1.14 +0.27 $0.00

Are you drinking?  No way the Greens beat the NDP.

1 hour ago, Donald Trump said:

We are celebrating! What wonderful news!

Man, we have been waiting years for you to show up.

You're in the wrong thread though homie. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Man, we have been waiting years for you to show up.

You're in the wrong thread though homie. 

Are you Xur? He might be arguing in his spare time....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I wonder what all my MLAs are going to do.  Aside from the Lois Boone (BC NDP)  run, PG has been solidly Reform/CON Federally and have been BC Lib for ages.  

I ain't voting for them regardless what they do.

Yeah my question is what's going to happen with Shirley Bond.

6 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Bruce, there it is.

Falcon the GD coward.....

Now that the BC Libs are now the BC Cons again, this completely destroys any credibility Rustad has.  This is the exact same party that the BC NDP defeated.  Just with more repugnant social views.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Falcon the GD coward.....

Now that the BC Libs are now the BC Cons again, this completely destroys any credibility Rustad has.  This is the exact same party that the BC NDP defeated.  Just with more repugnant social views.

Credibility with who though? If the BC cons can convert half the remaining lib support the NDP is in a real fight.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Yeah my question is what's going to happen with Shirley Bond.

Mike Morris was interviewed and apparently there was no discussion about this with caucus.   He says that he went for a medical appointment, and found out like everyone else.  Oops. 

https://ckpgtoday.ca/2024/08/28/i-was-blindsided-mike-morris-reacts-to-kevin-falcons-decision-to-suspend-campaign/

16 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Mike Morris was interviewed and apparently there was no discussion about this with caucus.   He says that he went for a medical appointment, and found out like everyone else.  Oops. 

https://ckpgtoday.ca/2024/08/28/i-was-blindsided-mike-morris-reacts-to-kevin-falcons-decision-to-suspend-campaign/

Well, not like it probably is going to matter up here as I would be surprised if Conservatives didn't win in PG, but them not being on the ballot could at least create a dent in that and cause less turnout seeing as they'd be literally getting rid of the incumbents.

What a gong show that sounds like though. I thought it was just Kevin Falcon that sounded like the sleeze, but maybe it was the entire management of that party. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, not like it probably is going to matter up here as I would be surprised if Conservatives didn't win in PG, but them not being on the ballot could at least create a dent in that and cause less turnout seeing as they'd be literally getting rid of the incumbents.

What a gong show that sounds like though. I thought it was just Kevin Falcon that sounded like the sleeze, but maybe it was the entire management of that party. lol

Must be fun for incumbents who now have to change all their campaign materials and rush to seek a nomination that there is no guarantees they win.  Couldn't have happened to a finer bunch