B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

People within BC who reject the direction the NDP have mapped out can coalesce around the BC Conservatives. A clear choice. My hope is that Rustad doesn't ley any of the BC United Liberals into the party. That he balances the budget and revs the economy so that people will have good jobs. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

People within BC who reject the direction the NDP have mapped out can coalesce around the BC Conservatives. A clear choice. My hope is that Rustad doesn't ley any of the BC United Liberals into the party. That he balances the budget and revs the economy so that people will have good jobs. 

You have such a quaint view of what the conservative party actually is 😂

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I can't. I don't support the NDP but I also can't ignore the social ideas from the cons. 

So I can vote green or not vote at all I suppose. I think that there are more than a few people in this camp. 

It's too soon for the BC cons to claim victory, but if they can actually convert a decent number of bc libs this is a real race now.

Rustad has to, and will, bring more lib mps and candidates, he needs them to get over the top.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's a good idea. No need for a kid to have one in class.

Thats what i thought...at first.

But is there any concern that it's turning away from the future?

Everyone's fav Elon Muskrat is starting to put chips in peoples dome...

Society is addicted to tech, our future is more like the Borg ( to reference one of our earlier convos)

Other than this site and news, I dont do the internet. I might one day do away with my cell phone ( have one for just phone calls/emerg) so I would like us all to back off, but everything is geared toward more tech integration in our lives. 

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

A Con BC is going to be weird.

The BC Libs were gross when they were at the helm. Now they are part of the of the Chicken littles.

Sweet crew.  /s

My kids don't have any yet, so I'm not particularly concerned. There's no real need for then in the classroom though..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thats what i thought...at first.

But is there any concern that it's turning away from the future?

Nah kids have no shortage of phone time outside of class. Probably still have some laptop time in class. They'll be fine.

Everyone's fav Elon Muskrat is starting to put chips in peoples dome...

I'm really interested in the med tech side of this company. It actually has some potential for restoration of function. It's really far off yet but there aren't many companies with the deep pockets to take this on.

I know evil fucker Elon, but I don't care if someone 25 years from now gets to see again .

Society is addicted to tech, our future is more like the Borg ( to reference one of our earlier convos)

Other than this site and news, I dont do the internet. I might one day do away with my cell phone ( have one for just phone calls/emerg) so I would like us all to back off, but everything is geared toward more tech integration in our lives. 

I think social media is mostly a cancer and it's coloured how we view a lot of tech.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My kids don't have any yet, so I'm not particularly concerned. There's no real need for then in the classroom though..

Thats really cool. I dont think kids should get them until about 16 ( cell phones for calls and text only before that)

Like I implied to Bob, I'm kinda a luddite but is there an angle that this tech, which is the future, should be embraced?

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

There will be a legal challenge by some of the BC United memebers.

Falcon didn't discuss or have a vote before announcing the decision.

meh, this will die off once they see the legal bills. 

I said it way back, not picking Diane Watts was the start of the end for the BC libs. They needed someone new to coalesce around, and they went back to the well of the dregs of the party. 

So now we're into the era of true polarization in BC. Canada federally is likely next. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • ThereItIs 1

50 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I can't. I don't support the NDP but I also can't ignore the social ideas from the cons. 

So I can vote green or not vote at all I suppose. I think that there are more than a few people in this camp. 

It's too soon for the BC cons to claim victory, but if they can actually convert a decent number of bc libs this is a real race now.

Rustad has to, and will, bring more lib mps and candidates, he needs them to get over the top.

The NDP record isn't good enough for a positive vote. They are back tracking on many of their positions as they face the electorate. I actually had/have more respect for Horgan than Eby. Eby will have to defend many NDP postions that the general public are not happy with. Rustad is largely an unknown to me. He will have to fill out his platform and show that he won't be another BC Liberal party government. I want to know how he will fund his ideas and whether he will get tough on the organized crime that is hurting this province. What his Euro ideas are for improving healthcare delivery. What economic ideas he has. I want to know whether he will support an indiginous veto on almost all Crown lands. I appreciate that this has federal overlap. I do not agree that a veto should exist.

I want to know what the NDP and the BC Conservatives will do about the new American tariffs on softwood lumber. Again this has federal overlap. Will BC be compensated by the federal government while a arbitration process is conducted? The federal government is never shy about giving eastern provinces a helping hand when needed. Softwood lumber tariffs will shut down most sawmills as it stands. Many will not be able to survive.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

meh, this will die off once they see the legal bills. 

I said it way back, not picking Diane Watts was the start of the end for the BC libs. They needed someone new to coalesce around, and they went back to the well of the dregs of the party. 

So now we're into the era true polarization in BC. Canada federally is likely next. 

Yup. 

They said they are just making sure to not split the vote on the right. So, we were polarized already I guess. But now they will be even more righty. 

They will smell of a little bit more Axe body spray. 

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The NDP record isn't good enough for a positive vote. They are back tracking on many of their positions as they face the electorate. I actually had/have more respect for Horgan than Eby. Eby will have to defend many NDP postions that the general public are not happy with. Rustad is largely an unknown to me. He will have to fill out his platform and show that he won't be another BC Liberal party government. I want to know how he will fund his ideas and whether he will get tough on the organized crime that is hurting this province. What his Euro ideas are for improving healthcare delivery. What economic ideas he has.

Horgan was a pragmatist, and a good strategist. The way he manhandled the greens was something to watch.

Eby is an arrogant sob imo. I can't stand him. He's brought nothing new except the things that are upsetting 1/2 the province. 

I want to know whether he will support an indiginous veto on almost all Crown lands. I appreciate that this has federal overlap. I do not agree that a veto should exist.

^this was a huge miscalculation by the NDP imo. Whatever someone thinks of the merits of it, they really messed up how people became aware of it. I believe this is what lit the fire of interest in the BC cons and its continued from there. 

I want to know what the NDP and the BC Conservatives will do about the new American tariffs on softwood lumber. Again this has federal overlap. Will BC be compensated by the federal government while a arbitration process is conducted? The federal government is never shy about giving eastern provinces a helping hand when needed. Softwood lumber tariffs will shut down most sawmills as it stands. Many will not be able to survive.  

I don't expect much in the way of ideas tbh, I think they will follow the lead of most campaigns right now and be as light as possible on policy.

Edited by Bob Long

12 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Mike Morris was interviewed and apparently there was no discussion about this with caucus.   He says that he went for a medical appointment, and found out like everyone else.  Oops. 

https://ckpgtoday.ca/2024/08/28/i-was-blindsided-mike-morris-reacts-to-kevin-falcons-decision-to-suspend-campaign/

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

There will be a legal challenge by some of the BC United memebers.

Falcon didn't discuss or have a vote before announcing the decision.

reminds me of how Gordon"flip" Wilson destroyed the P.D.A. party

That dude stood in front of his party's board of directors one night and said 'I couldn't live with my self, if I switched parties'; then did exactly that-the next day by joining the NDP.

And it was the political end for both the PDA and Wilson.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Credibility with who though? If the BC cons can convert half the remaining lib support the NDP is in a real fight.

That is a big IF.  The BC United at least had the semblance of being centre right not all right.  People like Ron Hovanes out of Oliver BC who is a good and solid man and candidate no longer has a home to run in with this announcement.

For many in the south Okanagan area, the BC Conservative party candidates from Oliver, Penticton, Kelowna are fucking persona non grata based on their ugliness.

Here is the BC Conservative "ideas"

https://www.conservativebc.ca/ideas

Here is the Penticton Conservative candidate.  Boultbee has actually messaged me after midnight to insult and degrade me for asking her about basic policy positions.  She's kind of awful really.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/501163/Penticton-councillors-take-conflict-to-social-media#:~:text=Amelia Boultbee%2C who was elected,sexual assault against a minor.

Here is the Kelowna Conservative candidate.  Loewen has been going door to door with their kid and has been making some seriously messed up claims and statements.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/503348/Disagrees-with-candidate

Lawyers and real estate agents.  A suggested $4 billion cut to health care and a push with government help to a more hybrid system (privatized health care with goverment funding)

And here are some fun comments from some stars in the BC Conservative party.

BC United staged a news conference in Victoria last week, party officials turned up with a prop — a literal tinfoil hat, emblazoned with a B.C. Conservative Party logo and the words “5G Resistant Endorsed by John Rustad.”

But the party’s expansion hasn’t been smooth, with critics highlighting views shared by some of the party’s slate of candidates. They have included likening 5G technology to “genocide” and a “weapon,” and calling Pride participants “degenerates.”

One of the candidates helping fill that tent is Rachael Weber in the Prince George-Mackenzie constituency. Weber has previous shared social media content about the “5G Genocide.”  In a 2021 Facebook post, she voiced concerns about “microchips,” cashless payments and the threat of “total government dependency/control” by saying “the anti-christ comes before the rapture.”

Bulkley Valley-Stikine candidate Sharon Hartwell who used social media to praise leaders of the “Freedom Convoy” movement, Tamara Lich and Chris Barber, who are on trial in Ottawa, accused of mischief, intimidation and counselling others to break the law. Hartwell called them “an inspiration.”

Paul Ratchford in Vancouver-Point Grey who previously called legislator Elenore Sturko (now a star recruit for the Conservatives) a “woke lesbian”; Stephen Malthouse, a suspended doctor who was removed as a candidate in Ladysmith-Oceanside after repeatedly saying COVID-19 vaccines were more dangerous than the illness; and Damon Scrase who dropped out as Courtenay-Comox candidate after the emergence of deleted posts in which he called some Pride parade participants “degenerates.”

Seems absolutely logical and totally sane.  The watchword for Rustad all last year leading up to this was "we're not the BC Liberals" all while constantly absorbing BC Liberals and now absorbing the entire party.

We aren;t going backwards

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That is a big IF.  The BC United at least had the semblance of being centre right not all right.  People like Ron Hovanes out of Oliver BC who is a good and solid man and candidate no longer has a home to run in with this announcement.

For many in the south Okanagan area, the BC Conservative party candidates from Oliver, Penticton, Kelowna are fucking persona non grata based on their ugliness.

Here is the BC Conservative "ideas"

https://www.conservativebc.ca/ideas

Here is the Penticton Conservative candidate.  Boultbee has actually messaged me after midnight to insult and degrade me for asking her about basic policy positions.  She's kind of awful really.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/501163/Penticton-councillors-take-conflict-to-social-media#:~:text=Amelia Boultbee%2C who was elected,sexual assault against a minor.

Here is the Kelowna Conservative candidate.  Loewen has been going door to door with their kid and has been making some seriously messed up claims and statements.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/503348/Disagrees-with-candidate

Lawyers and real estate agents.  A suggested $4 billion cut to health care and a push with government help to a more hybrid system (privatized health care with goverment funding)

And here are some fun comments from some stars in the BC Conservative party.

BC United staged a news conference in Victoria last week, party officials turned up with a prop — a literal tinfoil hat, emblazoned with a B.C. Conservative Party logo and the words “5G Resistant Endorsed by John Rustad.”

But the party’s expansion hasn’t been smooth, with critics highlighting views shared by some of the party’s slate of candidates. They have included likening 5G technology to “genocide” and a “weapon,” and calling Pride participants “degenerates.”

One of the candidates helping fill that tent is Rachael Weber in the Prince George-Mackenzie constituency. Weber has previous shared social media content about the “5G Genocide.”  In a 2021 Facebook post, she voiced concerns about “microchips,” cashless payments and the threat of “total government dependency/control” by saying “the anti-christ comes before the rapture.”

Bulkley Valley-Stikine candidate Sharon Hartwell who used social media to praise leaders of the “Freedom Convoy” movement, Tamara Lich and Chris Barber, who are on trial in Ottawa, accused of mischief, intimidation and counselling others to break the law. Hartwell called them “an inspiration.”

Paul Ratchford in Vancouver-Point Grey who previously called legislator Elenore Sturko (now a star recruit for the Conservatives) a “woke lesbian”; Stephen Malthouse, a suspended doctor who was removed as a candidate in Ladysmith-Oceanside after repeatedly saying COVID-19 vaccines were more dangerous than the illness; and Damon Scrase who dropped out as Courtenay-Comox candidate after the emergence of deleted posts in which he called some Pride parade participants “degenerates.”

Seems absolutely logical and totally sane.  The watchword for Rustad all last year leading up to this was "we're not the BC Liberals" all while constantly absorbing BC Liberals and now absorbing the entire party.

We aren;t going backwards

man what choices 😆

One thing in the BC con's favour, is right leaning voters can often look past the kind of stuff you posted, as long as they think it'll be better for their wallets and the economy. It doesn't light their hair on fire the way it does for people on the left. Its a real advantage for them.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

man what choices 😆

One thing in the BC con's favour, is right leaning voters can often look past the kind of stuff you posted, as long as they think it'll be better for their wallets and the economy. It doesn't light their hair on fire the way it does for people on the left. Its a real advantage for them.

Which is why they should have no say in how we are governed until they prove to be capable of acting in a civilized manner.  Most of these candidates belong in prison for hate speech, not in elected office.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Which is why they should have no say in how we are governed until they prove to be capable of acting in a civilized manner.  Most of these candidates belong in prison for hate speech, not in elected office.

and yet, it looks like they have a legit shot at it. People are becoming numb to political discourse, even the really extreme stuff.  

I think the one area where the NDP might be able to get some traction is scaring people about healthcare. If they can get people to believe the BC con's will try to privatize healthcare, that might work. I'm expecting to see more stuff along those lines.

• Cheers 1

I really don't understand how this isn't a bigger scandal that there wasn't a caucus vote or at least an announcement to the caucus that this was happening.

What happens to the money the BC United has?  Can they just give it away without a party vote?  Do they have to refund it to their donors?

I'm sure that there are party members who have these questions.  Hell, some BC United MLAs probably do.  I know Mike Morris did on Thursday.

• Vintage 1

Math problems

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/140-into-93-won-t-fit-the-math-facing-b-c-conservatives-as-bc-united-folds-campaign/ar-AA1pF8HP?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=a3379f52317d42d0b2d26c4a9e00ad66&ei=29

The suspension of the Official Opposition BC United's election campaign, consolidating its pool of potential candidates with the B.C. Conservative Party, means that dozens from either camp will lose party endorsement.

Here's the math on the challenge of putting together a unified slate of candidates under the B.C. Conservative banner ahead of the Oct. 19 provincial election.

Ridings in 2024 election: 93

Candidates listed by B.C. Conservatives: 83

Candidates listed by BC United: 57

Minimum number of candidates who will lose endorsement: 47

Sitting BC Conservative MLAs: 5

Sitting BC United MLAs: 23

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 29, 2024.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Must be fun for incumbents who now have to change all their campaign materials and rush to seek a nomination that there is no guarantees they win.  Couldn't have happened to a finer bunch

Actually, thinking about it. If I were them and wasn't given a spot on the Conservatives, I'd go Independent. Could you imagine the chaos that would bring up here? I for one would be all for it. lol

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

reminds me of how Gordon"flip" Wilson destroyed the P.D.A. party

That dude stood in front of his party's board of directors one night and said 'I couldn't live with my self, if I switched parties'; then did exactly that-the next day by joining the NDP.

And it was the political end for both the PDA and Wilson.

Gordon and Judi were on the verge of bankruptcy and that is why he sold out.  Judi actually blocked me on Facebook for saying he sold out.

• Vintage 1