B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Gordon and Judi were on the verge of bankruptcy and that is why he sold out.  Judi actually blocked me on Facebook for saying he sold out.

My parents were on his board of directors.

We all had high hopes, then he walked.

next day Judy was on, CKNW-I think, and started talking about how all the leaks about the government had to stop.

So when they next came onboard the Ferries and asked "How's it going?' every one just said 'fine' and walked away.

No more inside ferry info for you, bub bye.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

All the BC united that jumped ship was to save their jobs. Not because of some ilialogical switch of positions.

They've always been ok with fascism, they're just openly admitting to their bigotry now.

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

I can't in good conscious voted for aparty that wants to make ALL vaccines optional...even for measles whooping cough etc.  Their platform also states (or it used to) teachers are indocumating kids to left views.  Every teacher I know laughs at that.  

They think any actual education that isn't in blind support of their barbaric beliefs is indoctrination.  These are not people who can be reasoned with.

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

People within BC who reject the direction the NDP have mapped out can coalesce around the BC Conservatives. A clear choice. My hope is that Rustad doesn't ley any of the BC United Liberals into the party. That he balances the budget and revs the economy so that people will have good jobs. 

To be honest, a balanced budget isn't really possible at this point and would be extremely detrimental. We've had too many people come into the province, there's a lot of infrastructure that needs to be built. 

Look at Alberta, they haven't built a new hospital in 40 years while their population has grown immensely over that time. All the changes the Cons there have made are making doctors leave and they're looking to sell off hospitals to a private company which will cost the province even more money. 

Not a future I want here.

• Cheers 2

I knew this would happen at some point. The BC Conservatives have all the momentum now. Eby isn’t well liked by alot of people. 

The whole multi family increase in density changes have been a big failure to this point. There aren’t many new applications at the city for 3-4 units as of right now. 

My next dinner party should be fun though. 

46 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

To be honest, a balanced budget isn't really possible at this point and would be extremely detrimental. We've had too many people come into the province, there's a lot of infrastructure that needs to be built. 

Look at Alberta, they haven't built a new hospital in 40 years while their population has grown immensely over that time. All the changes the Cons there have made are making doctors leave and they're looking to sell off hospitals to a private company which will cost the province even more money. 

Not a future I want here.

sure but what about blowing $400 million on ICBC rebates for pure vote buying? its not all hospital building. We also have a lot of fat in our education and health systems. 

I don't mind deficits if it's all going to future investments, but not for goodies. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I knew this would happen at some point. The BC Conservatives have all the momentum now. Eby isn’t well liked by alot of people. 

The whole multi family increase in density changes have been a big failure to this point. There aren’t many new applications at the city for 3-4 units as of right now. 

My next dinner party should be fun though. 

• In the first three months of 2024, 9,916 new homes were registeredin B.C., including 1,569 single detachedand 8,347 multi-unit homes4.

• So far in 2024, total home registrationsare up 2.9% from 2023. Registrations for multi-unit homesincreased 3.9%, while registrations for single detached homes decreased 2.1%3.

https://www.bchousing.org/sites/default/files/media/documents/New-Homes-Registry-Report-March-2024.pdf

Edited by Bob Long
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

• In the first three months of 2024, 9,916 new homes were registeredin B.C., including 1,569 single detachedand 8,347 multi-unit homes4.

• So far in 2024, total home registrationsare up 2.9% from 2023. Registrations for multi-unit homesincreased 3.9%, while registrations for single detached homes decreased 2.1%3.

https://www.bchousing.org/sites/default/files/media/documents/New-Homes-Registry-Report-March-2024.pdf

Multi unit includes anything over 1 unit.  Even a hi rise. I was specifically referring to 3-4 unit homes under the new legislation.  If you look at the charts most of those new multi unit homes are duplexes or over 5 units. 

'Blindsided': Incumbent BC United MLAs ponder futures as Conservatives

VICTORIA — The emotions were still raw at the British Columbia Legislature on Thursday, after the bombshell announcement that the Official Opposition BC United would not contest the fall election.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There aren’t many new applications at the city for 3-4 units as of right now. 

How hard ( or expensive) is it to get strata insurance for those small buildings? When I left Van it was skyrocketing due to some changes..

Could that be scaring folks out of building them?

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

He is top of the polls for party leaders.

Where are you getting your info? dinner parties?

Here's a few articles.

https://researchco.ca/2024/06/25/bcpoli-june2024/

BC United’s Kevin Falcon continues to have the lowest approval rating among the four major party leaders (32%, +1). The proportions are higher for BC Greens leader Sonia Furstenau (39%, +4), BC Conservative leader John Rustad (40%, +3) and Premier and BC NDP leader David Eby (53%, -1).

Eby is also ahead on the “Best Premier” question (28%), followed by Rustad (14%), Falcon (13%) and Furstenau (11%). While more than half of BC NDP voters in the 2020 provincial ballot (54%) choose Eby, only 28% of those who voted for the BC Liberals in the same election select Falcon.

https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/bc-premier-david-eby-popularity-poll-fall-election

An Angus Reid Institute survey shows the NDP leader is Canada's third-most popular premier

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/07/30/bc-conservatives-ndp-polling/

Research Co. says all four major party leaders have dipped in the polls. Eby’s approval rating is down to 48 per cent; Rustad’s is down to 39 per cent; BC Greens Leader Sonia Furstenau is down to 35 per cent; and BC United Leader Kevin Falcon is down to 29 per cent.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10712950/bc-chamber-commerce-economy-poll/

Despite concern on these issues, a majority of voters had a positive impression of NDP Leader David Eby, with a net-positive impression of 15 per cent.

That’s compared to BC Conservative Leader John Rustad who had a net-negative impression of -6 per cent and BC United Leader Kevin Falcon who had a net-negative impression of -30 per cent. BC Green Leader Sonia Furstenau had a net-positive impression of 8 per cent.

Meh, who really believes the polls?  🤨

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

How hard ( or expensive) is it to get strata insurance for those small buildings? When I left Van it was skyrocketing due to some changes..

Could that be scaring folks out of building them?

The major issue is that the 3-4 unit buildings are not being stratified. The municipalities haven’t made that decision yet. So if a builder wants to build a triplex or fourplex, then you have to sell it as a triplex or fourplex.  The price would be $3-4 million. So that kinda defeats the whole purpose of the new legislation, which is to get more smaller stratified units into the marketplace. 

Duplexes are still much more popular to build as they can be stratified into 2 units. 

As for insurance on a duplex, it would be approx. $2k per side per year. Plus your normal personal insurance. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Multi unit includes anything over 1 unit.  Even a hi rise. I was specifically referring to 3-4 unit homes under the new legislation.  If you look at the charts most of those new multi unit homes are duplexes or over 5 units. 

Who cares as long as people have more options?

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The polls are only legit when I agree with them. Try and keep up…   😉

Well played lad.

Kinda like a Peteyverse...theres gotta be at least one reality where you are correct. 

Just manifest that shiz.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

sure but what about blowing $400 million on ICBC rebates for pure vote buying? its not all hospital building. We also have a lot of fat in our education and health systems. 

I don't mind deficits if it's all going to future investments, but not for goodies. 

I've got no issues with it.

They fixed the bleeding ICBC and turned almost 2 billion in profit in 2022/23. They used most of that to replenish their capital fund. ICBC should be revenue neutral and not a means to make the government money given that they are crown corporation with complete control over the auto insurance market. 

Once they replenished their coffers that were pillaged by the BC Liberals, the excess profit should go back to the insurees. Auto insurance isn't a tax to collect to pay for government programs.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Edited by Duodenum
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can’t stratify those 3-4 unit buildings at this time. So there are no additional options for buyers with this new legislation. That’s why it’s a big fail up to this point.

No but some buyers can still purchase them and rent them out, increasing rental stock, which is also as problem.  We need housing of all sorts Petey. Rentals too. So, no, not actually a fail.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can’t stratify those 3-4 unit buildings at this time. So there are no additional options for buyers with this new legislation. That’s why it’s a big fail up to this point.

But we have more units of other types.

2 hours ago, Duodenum said:

I've got no issues with it.

They fixed the bleeding ICBC and turned almost 2 billion in profit in 2022/23. They used most of that to replenish their capital fund. ICBC should be revenue neutral and not a means to make the government money given that they are crown corporation with complete control over the auto insurance market. 

Once they replenished their coffers that were pillaged by the BC Liberals, the excess profit should go back to the insurees. Auto insurance isn't a tax to collect to pay for government programs.

But we are net in debt. We're paying for that ICBC rebate.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The major issue is that the 3-4 unit buildings are not being stratified. The municipalities haven’t made that decision yet. So if a builder wants to build a triplex or fourplex, then you have to sell it as a triplex or fourplex.  The price would be $3-4 million. So that kinda defeats the whole purpose of the new legislation, which is to get more smaller stratified units into the marketplace. 

Duplexes are still much more popular to build as they can be stratified into 2 units. 

As for insurance on a duplex, it would be approx. $2k per side per year. Plus your normal personal insurance. 

I wish we'd go the Edmonton route. Fee-simple rowhouses and duplex/triplexes.