B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

But we are net in debt. We're paying for that ICBC rebate.

The deficit was ~$5 billion this year (I'm not actually 100% on thst number, so correct me if that's wrong). The Auditor General says BC under reported revenue by $7.67 billion. So if the Province did their books the way the Auditors think they should, we're looking at a $2.67 billion surplus.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-auditor-general-cites-two-significant-errors-in-government-s-final-accounts-1.7012817

Edit: This revenue reporting issue has been going on for more than a decade, under both the NDP and the old BC Liberals. The Auditor General and the Comptroller General have just agreed to disagree on it.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

But we are net in debt. We're paying for that ICBC rebate.

I agree that the NDP are overspending on some not-needed items and adding to our debt but I think ICBC being it's own crown corporation is different. They should be revenue neutral, which the NDP accomplished. 

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

I agree that the NDP are overspending on some not-needed items and adding to our debt but I think ICBC being it's own crown corporation is different. They should be revenue neutral, which the NDP accomplished. 

I guess I see it ultimately as the same pot of dough, ours.

I do like the revenue neutral part, that is a win for everyone for sure.

10 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

All the BC united that jumped ship was to save their jobs. Not because of some ilialogical switch of positions.

Maybe Falcon saw the light and became a climate change denier. It’s the only answer after he kicked Rustad out of the Liberal caucus in 2022 for denying the science behind climate change. Rustad hasn’t changed his tune either.

Shirley Bond won’t run in the next election, nor will Todd Stone who announced he will be supporting the Con in his riding. Mike Bernier may run as an independent.

BC Conservative Leader Confirms He Won’t Moderate His Anti-Scientific Views on Climate Change

BC Conservative leader John Rustad was expelled from the BC Liberal Party in 2022 over controversial views on climate science

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Maybe some nice billionaire will help out

:hurhur:

You know, you could be on to something.

I have noticed those dorks are challenged when it comes to style.

images.jpg.d1b59b35ad7e0f556d4a887c16a147d4.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

You know, you could be on to something.

I have noticed those dorks are challenged when it comes to style.

images.jpg.d1b59b35ad7e0f556d4a887c16a147d4.jpg

The wife and I are members, have been following the project. There's been a few different design ideas but the wood construction one just makes so much sense for BC.

Most of the money so far is private donations too which I like.

Horgan offered to pay the full freight of the new Vic museum which kind of irked me. I don't mind some, but not all.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The wife and I are members, have been following the project. There's been a few different design ideas but the wood construction one just makes so much sense for BC.

Most of the money so far is private donations too which I like.

Horgan offered to pay the full freight of the new Vic museum which kind of irked me. I don't mind some, but not all.

Is that the one they are going with?

Seems like the standard giant cement walls inside, with whatever 90's looking ugly outside they are trying to go for. Is the exterior wood?

Is that the one they are going with?

Seems like the standard giant cement walls inside, with whatever 90's looking ugly outside they are trying to go for. Is the exterior wood?

Last thing I saw was a mass timber idea, with a wood and copper exterior. There's concrete in the middle for elevators etc since it's so big. 

What would you want to see? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Last thing I saw was a mass timber idea, with a wood and copper exterior. There's concrete in the middle for elevators etc since it's so big. 

What would you want to see? 

Havent thought about it too much. It just strikes me as already dated looking. 

I would probably like something a bit more classic,simple, therefore timeless. I dont think art galleries should try to be art themselves ( though I know many go for that)

I actually loved the old space. It seemed like such a cool Vancouver Icon. The steps alone have seen so much important gatherings over the years.

• Like 1

Havent thought about it too much. It just strikes me as already dated looking. 

I would probably like something a bit more classic,simple, therefore timeless. I dont think art galleries should try to be art themselves ( though I know many go for that)

I actually loved the old space. It seemed like such a cool Vancouver Icon. The steps alone have seen so much important gatherings over the years.

Id go full Shanghai on one of the exterior walls and use it as art space.

I think it will ultimately land somewhere closer to what you are saying. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Id go full Shanghai on one of the exterior walls and use it as art space.

I think it will ultimately land somewhere closer to what you are saying. 

I was going to mention something like this.

A big area that could display what the current exhibits are. A way for the outside of the building to temporarily take on whatever theme. 

9 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Maybe Falcon saw the light and became a climate change denier. It’s the only answer after he kicked Rustad out of the Liberal caucus in 2022 for denying the science behind climate change. Rustad hasn’t changed his tune either.

Shirley Bond won’t run in the next election, nor will Todd Stone who announced he will be supporting the Con in his riding. Mike Bernier may run as an independent.

BC Conservative Leader Confirms He Won’t Moderate His Anti-Scientific Views on Climate Change

BC Conservative leader John Rustad was expelled from the BC Liberal Party in 2022 over controversial views on climate science

People want these turds running things from Victoria if there's another pandemic?  Their plan?  G*D's will & our thoughts & prayers...

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I was going to mention something like this.

A big area that could display what the current exhibits are. A way for the outside of the building to temporarily take on whatever theme. 

And it could be controversial from time to time, which art should be. 

• ThereItIs 1

Former B.C. Liberal minister says he may vote NDP, as Eby woos disaffected centrists

VICTORIA — Former British Columbia Liberal cabinet minister Terry Lake says he'll consider voting for Premier David Eby's New Democrats if the B.C. Conservatives don't shift to the political centre, especially on the issue of climate change.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Former B.C. Liberal minister says he may vote NDP, as Eby woos disaffected centrists

VICTORIA — Former British Columbia Liberal cabinet minister Terry Lake says he'll consider voting for Premier David Eby's New Democrats if the B.C. Conservatives don't shift to the political centre, especially on the issue of climate change.

They can vote green as well. 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm waiting for the Rhino Party to scoop up the orphaned candidates.  :hurhur:

I'm really hoping for the BCC and NDP to tie, and watch the NDP have to grovel with the greens again, both for political reasons but also because it would be hilarious.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'm really hoping for the BCC and NDP to tie, and watch the NDP have to grovel with the greens again, both for political reasons but also because it would be hilarious.

My concern would be that the Greens might not even be able to place an MLA into the legislature this time around.  I mean, I'd vote for them under most circumstances, but my fellow constituents seem to be quite polarized.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My concern would be that the Greens might not even be able to place an MLA into the legislature this time around.  I mean, I'd vote for them under most circumstances, but my fellow constituents seem to be quite polarized.

looks like green right now has one MP locked down (https://338canada.com/bc/vipc.htm), but its a big wild card as to where the old lib's are going to vote. In the sea to sky e.g., I do think the greens could take that one with the old lib support.

So pretty good shot at 2 seats. I know, plan the parade. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

looks like green right now has one MP locked down (https://338canada.com/bc/vipc.htm), but its a big wild card as to where the old lib's are going to vote. In the sea to sky e.g., I do think the greens could take that one with the old lib support.

So pretty good shot at 2 seats. I know, plan the parade. 

That's pretty bold to assume that Adam Olsen's seat is going to automagically end up owned by the Greens now that he's exiting the legislature.  I don't share their optimism (despite the fact that I think a Green Party minority government could make things interesting).

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

People want these turds running things from Victoria if there's another pandemic?  Their plan?  G*D's will & our thoughts & prayers...

I wonder if this wasn't some hashed up plan from the beginning. Form two parties, actually they're really the same goddamn bunch from the Campbell/Clark red mitton gang, and then have one of them fold weeks out from the election. I hope people see through this nonsense. Rustad is as bad or worse than Millhouse.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1