B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That's pretty bold to assume that Adam Olsen's seat is going to automagically end up owned by the Greens now that he's exiting the legislature.  I don't share their optimism (despite the fact that I think a Green Party minority government could make things interesting).

its pretty darn interesting, but yeah no one should assume anything. I think we could see anything from a solid NDP majority to a slight BCC majority and anything in between. 

As much as I don't like to see party options go away, BC has always really had two conservative parties, it was more a matter of degree. But some of the BCC member comments actually make the old BC Libs look moderate. 

4 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I wonder if this wasn't some hashed up plan from the beginning. Form two parties, actually they're really the same goddamn bunch from the Campbell/Clark red mitton gang, and then have one of them fold weeks out from the election. I hope people see through this nonsense. Rustad is as bad or worse than Millhouse.

I don't think so. There's no way Rustad saw this coming, and if Falcon was that smart he'd still have a job. 

4 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I wonder if this wasn't some hashed up plan from the beginning. Form two parties, actually they're really the same goddamn bunch from the Campbell/Clark red mitton gang, and then have one of them fold weeks out from the election. I hope people see through this nonsense. Rustad is as bad or worse than Millhouse.

The bolded part is actually becoming word on the street right now.  

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/08/30/bc-united-party-member-plans/

“When you’re what — 23 days out from an election? — and you pull something like this, it almost feels like the intention was to wait as long as possible, so that you would take all resources away from anybody being able to put together another party or mount an independent campaign. So if he wanted to do this and he felt that he was not able to take us over the finish line, he should have said that six months ago.”

She [MLA Karin Kirkpatrick] says she feels betrayed by Falcon after supporting him for years in what she believed was a good relationship.

I wouldn't be surprised if past "meetings" to discuss mergers were actually covert discussions to do a hard cutover before the elections to prevent any sort of re-grouping.

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its pretty darn interesting, but yeah no one should assume anything. I think we could see anything from a solid NDP majority to a slight BCC majority and anything in between. 

As much as I don't like to see party options go away, BC has always really had two conservative parties, it was more a matter of degree. But some of the BCC member comments actually make the old BC Libs look moderate. 

Still holding out hope though that a party like the Rhinos come out of the woodwork and lead the orphaned candidates.  Or maybe use a past party from the UBC AMS elections - the Radical Beer Faction.  :hurhur:

• Haha 1

This election has so many interesting little angles to it:

Despite the NDP’s slight lead, almost half (48%) of British Columbians say the province is headed in the wrong direction, while 38% said the province is headed in the right direction.

“The demographic groups that think the province is on the right track are those most likely to support the NDP— women voters over 65 and Vancouver Island residents,” said Angolano. “The only group where the NDP lead, and who said the province is headed in the wrong direction, are Greater Vancouver residents.”

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/504062/New-poll-shows-NDP-Conservatives-in-virtual-dead-heat-heading-towards-B-C-election-

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

This election has so many interesting little angles to it:

Despite the NDP’s slight lead, almost half (48%) of British Columbians say the province is headed in the wrong direction, while 38% said the province is headed in the right direction.

“The demographic groups that think the province is on the right track are those most likely to support the NDP— women voters over 65 and Vancouver Island residents,” said Angolano. “The only group where the NDP lead, and who said the province is headed in the wrong direction, are Greater Vancouver residents.”

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/504062/New-poll-shows-NDP-Conservatives-in-virtual-dead-heat-heading-towards-B-C-election-

Love that some of the 800+ polled were via 'landline'

What do you think the main issue is with you Vancouver voters Jim? 

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Still holding out hope though that a party like the Rhinos come out of the woodwork and lead the orphaned candidates.  Or maybe use a past party from the UBC AMS elections - the Radical Beer Faction.  :hurhur:

Gordon Wilson, rises from the dead, to collect the annoyed Liberals, and becomes the leader, again.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Love that some of the 800+ polled were via 'landline'

What do you think the main issue is with you Vancouver voters Jim? 

Probably safety. Things have not got better in 7 years with addictions and crime.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

If we have Cons elected all over the place, provincial and fed.

Do they promise to stop moaning?

Pfft, probably not until the last union is broken and the last public service privatized.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

Probably safety. Things have not got better in 7 years with addictions and crime.

Thought Simy was getting that sorted a bit.

But you know my feelings on public safety. High on my priority list too. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Not ever.  The CONs in Alberta are still moaning about the short term that Notley was in charge.

They just moan in their spare time. During working hours they just keep doing business the way Cons do business . Been a busy week.

Lawyer who represented 'Freedom Convoy' organizers appointed to Alberta police review board

Face of Coutts border blockade joins United Conservative Party’s board in Calgary riding

46 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thought Simy was getting that sorted a bit.

But you know my feelings on public safety. High on my priority list too. 

I really like Ken Sim. Municipal budgets are so stressed they can only do so much, they need provincial and federal help.

Its one of the things that bugs me about the NDP is they seem to dislike Sim but have offered no alternative.

• Like 1

@bishopshodan you'll find this funny. 

My wife has been digging into our riding options. Right now it's leaning BC con which I despise.

Apparently just today the NDP announced a new candidate for Vancouver-yaletown, a former vpd  who is making safety a priority.

So I might have to end up voting NDP strategically after all to keep the con out 😂

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I suspect the NDP losses the BC election. They will lose because most people don’t like their personal situations. Loyalty to political parties doesn’t really exist anymore. Unfunded promises that create inflation and lack accountability. Help wanted signs everywhere but unemployment at 6%. A demographic curve which will destroy all perceptions of what has worked in the past. Does the BCC have the answers? Likely not but maybe they will debate the challenges.

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect the NDP losses the BC election. They will lose because most people don’t like their personal situations. Loyalty to political parties doesn’t really exist anymore. Unfunded promises that create inflation and lack accountability. Help wanted signs everywhere but unemployment at 6%. A demographic curve which will destroy all perceptions of what has worked in the past. Does the BCC have the answers? Likely not but maybe they will debate the challenges.

It all depends on where the now homeless BCU vote support in the lower mainland goes. 

We haven't seen any detailed polling yet.

42 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

And voters are falling for the Cons promise to lower taxes......wipe out the debt.....fix healthcare..with no cut in services......and a unicorn for every house

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

And voters are falling for the Cons promise to lower taxes......wipe out the debt.....fix healthcare..with no cut in services......and a unicorn for every house

"for the people" - NDP does this too in their own way. 

I still think based on whats out there right now, the NDP still wins a majority but we'll have to see in a few weeks what the polling tells us about the BCU votes and where those are going to end up. 

36 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Isn’t it the purpose of campaigns to identify the issues faced and evaluate the resolutions proposed by candidates? Yes, the BCC can make all sorts of promises just as the NDP will. The NDP have a record they will have to defend, the BCC does not. That means getting a clear idea of BCC direction is critical. A major concern for the BCC is their bench strength. Not a lot of experience. My critic of the NDP is how they are retreating from policy as the polls suggest the public does not support their efforts. 

The critical concern is a clear debate over provincial issues and the directions proposed. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Isn’t it the purpose of campaigns to identify the issues faced and evaluate the resolutions proposed by candidates? Yes, the BCC can make all sorts of promises just as the NDP will. The NDP have a record they will have to defend, the BCC does not. That means getting a clear idea of BCC direction is critical. A major concern for the BCC is their bench strength. Not a lot of experience. My critic of the NDP is how they are retreating from policy as the polls suggest the public does not support their efforts. 

The critical concern is a clear debate over provincial issues and the directions proposed. 

Eby hasn't done a good job of defining who Rustad is in the public eye. I expect to see that kind of ad coming very soon, if not already some time this weekend.

If the BCC can get a clear message out before the NDP paints them as backwards hicks, then this thing is going to get really interesting. 

Eby hasn't been in the position to fight for his job as premier either, he also has no experience as a leader going into an election. 

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The issue is the NDP have an ability to claim they have actually managed to complete major parts of the electoral platform.  Something like 60% or more in this last term and 79% in their first which is shocking.  They've completed site C, increased BCs GDP, finished the pipeline, have numerous LNG projects coming online.  In fact about the ONLY thing people can truly crap on them for is dragging their feet on infrastructure projects and the issue with vagrancy 

Any other ssue including affordability, housing prices and immigration are universally outside of the provincial ability to stop

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Eby hasn't done a good job of defining who Rustad is in the public eye. I expect to see that kind of ad coming very soon, if not already some time this weekend.

If the BCC can get a clear message out before the NDP paints them as backwards hicks, then this thing is going to get really interesting. 

Eby hasn't been in the position to fight for his job as premier either, he also has no experience as a leader going into an election. 

I posted a lengthy post regarding some of the biggest and brightest stars of the BCC and their actions, beliefs and statements.

Getting out from behind that stigma of weirdos hicks, intolerant fuck wits and anti vaxxers is going to be tough.

People can keep pointing to polls, but lemme ask.  Who actually trusts the judgement of people who answer LANDLINES after 6 pm to answer a polling question?  And more importantly, how many people still have landlines at all?  Every time someone posts a poll I sti and think how little of the true majority of people it truly represents now

• Cheers 1

Good luck getting away from the stigma Rustad

https://pressprogress.ca/freedom-convoy-donor-list-includes-names-of-several-candidates-for-john-rustads-bc-conservatives/

In a statement, the BC Conservatives said that “as part of the agreement, the Conservative Party of BC has committed to review candidates base on an improved vetting process.”

That could pose a problem for four BC Conservative candidates whose names appear on a list of Freedom Convoy donors that was part of a data leak connected to the convoy’s GiveSendGo crowdfunding campaign.

According to data reviewed by PressProgress, names and postal codes matching Jaclyn Aubichon, BC Conservative candidate for West Vancouver–Capliano, and Rosalyn Bird, BC Conservative candidate for Prince George-Valemount, appear on the Freedom Convoy donor list.

The names of Anna Kindy, BC Conservative candidate for North Island and Ndellie Mwanangulu-Massey, BC Conservative candidate for New Westminster-Coquitlam, also appear on the list of donors.

A number of Rustad’s BC Conservative candidates have already come under fire for strange and controversial views, including some who have already stepped down.

Recently, Rachael Weber, the BC Conservative candidate for Prince George-Mackenzie and a local school trustee in Prince George, made reference to a COVID-19 conspiracy in a Facebook post that called 5G cell towers “genocidal weapons” and the cause of the pandemic..

In response, Rustad defended Weber’s comments and dismissed criticism of her conspiratorial statements as “cancel culture.”

In an interview defending Weber on CKPG News, Rustad said he supports “all of our candidates”:

“I support all of our candidates and the work that they’re doing. I’m not going to allow cancel culture to take root in this province, I think it’s done too much damage. It’s been a significant part of the left-wing’s tools in terms of attacking people and going away from the real issues that are out there such as the overdoses we’ve been seeing, safe supply and decriminalization and the damage that’s done.”

• Vintage 3

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Good luck getting away from the stigma Rustad

https://pressprogress.ca/freedom-convoy-donor-list-includes-names-of-several-candidates-for-john-rustads-bc-conservatives/

In a statement, the BC Conservatives said that “as part of the agreement, the Conservative Party of BC has committed to review candidates base on an improved vetting process.”

That could pose a problem for four BC Conservative candidates whose names appear on a list of Freedom Convoy donors that was part of a data leak connected to the convoy’s GiveSendGo crowdfunding campaign.

According to data reviewed by PressProgress, names and postal codes matching Jaclyn Aubichon, BC Conservative candidate for West Vancouver–Capliano, and Rosalyn Bird, BC Conservative candidate for Prince George-Valemount, appear on the Freedom Convoy donor list.

The names of Anna Kindy, BC Conservative candidate for North Island and Ndellie Mwanangulu-Massey, BC Conservative candidate for New Westminster-Coquitlam, also appear on the list of donors.

A number of Rustad’s BC Conservative candidates have already come under fire for strange and controversial views, including some who have already stepped down.

Recently, Rachael Weber, the BC Conservative candidate for Prince George-Mackenzie and a local school trustee in Prince George, made reference to a COVID-19 conspiracy in a Facebook post that called 5G cell towers “genocidal weapons” and the cause of the pandemic..

In response, Rustad defended Weber’s comments and dismissed criticism of her conspiratorial statements as “cancel culture.”

In an interview defending Weber on CKPG News, Rustad said he supports “all of our candidates”:

“I support all of our candidates and the work that they’re doing. I’m not going to allow cancel culture to take root in this province, I think it’s done too much damage. It’s been a significant part of the left-wing’s tools in terms of attacking people and going away from the real issues that are out there such as the overdoses we’ve been seeing, safe supply and decriminalization and the damage that’s done.”

Rustad was one of the headliners at the “Reclaiming Canada” event in 2023 celebrating the Freedom Convoy. Among the  speakers were Anna Kindy and convoy leaders Chris Barber, Daniel Bulford, Brian Peckford…

Don’t hold your breath waiting for any improvement to their vetting process.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2