B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

I would laugh sofa king hard if most of these orphaned candidates who don't join the BC Tories end up winning their ridings as independents, and splitting the votes in other ridings where they don't win so that the NDP or Greens take them and prevent the Tories from forming government.

‘Leader of the misfit toys’: Mike Bernier advising former BC United candidates on election options, exploring new alliance

Mike Bernier speaks into a microphone
—File: Mike Bernier

Posted August 30, 2024 5:05 pm.

Last Updated August 30, 2024 5:36 pm.

Peace River South MLA Mike Bernier says the journey is far from over for candidates who were planning to run with BC United, and their future could include a new political alliance if they so choose.

He says he’s called the roughly 30 BC United candidates who had paperwork filed to run in the upcoming election and informed them they will still be listed on their respective ballots, but as “unattached candidates.”

Bernier told 1130 NewsRadio he’s learned from Elections BC that BC United Leader Kevin Falcon only had the power to withdraw the party’s endorsement of those candidates — not to remove them from the ballots altogether.

Elections BC confirms this, saying only the individual running can withdraw their nomination, and a party can not revoke a nomination. If a party does not endorse or withdraws its endorsement of a candidate, the candidate can choose to run as an independent (with “independent” appearing next to their name on the ballot), run as an unaffiliated candidate (with only their name appearing on the ballot), or withdraw their candidacy altogether.

If a candidate no longer wants to run in October, they’ll have to contact Elections BC to have their name removed, but Bernier hopes they don’t choose that route, hinting that there may be a path forward for members to form a brand new party in the halls of the B.C. legislature.

“Everybody will make the best decision for them[selves]. But the one thing I have been saying as well: we only need two people in the legislature now to have official party status. And so we’re telling people, don’t just take this and roll over. You don’t have to. There’s options out there,” he said.

“And I have a feeling this will be an unprecedented election, where there’s a number of people who put their names on the ballot as independents, because they actually feel betrayed, and they’re not going to just let this happen.”

Bernier says he’s spoken with West Vancouver-Capilano MLA Karin Kirkpatrick on the matter a number of times.

Kirkpatrick told 1130 NewsRadio Friday that she was aware of a group of candidates who were considering either filing paperwork with Elections BC to register a new party — or, if the timeline was too tight to do that before Oct. 19, to run as unattached candidates and band together after the election.

Bernier acknowledged he’s already providing advice and assistance to candidates with less experience than himself, much in the way a formal party might do for its candidates.

“One of the comments made was that I’m now the leader of the misfit toys,” he joked.

“The big thing is there’s myself, Karin [Kirkpatrick], and a few others who have put ourselves out there. We’re trying to persuade people. We’re just letting them know that there are options, and they need to make the best decision for them, for their constituents, their riding, and their families.”

Bernier said he has yet to receive a courtesy call from Kevin Falcon after the United leader’s bombshell move on Wednesday, nor has he received a call from John Rustad’s camp asking him to join the BC Conservatives.

He’s leaving the door open to accept a nomination if the BC Conservatives offer him one but says that will come with several conditions.

“There have to be, definitely, some conditions and concerns that I have with some of the candidates, some of the views and opinions that the BC Conservatives have. We would have to talk that out, because I can tell you right now, there’s a lot of people in my riding — and my family, more importantly — that could not support some of the views that some of John [Rustad]’s candidates have stated publicly to date.”

Bernier also acknowledged he’s been more forthcoming with details on his mindset than his colleagues have been thus far; he says there’s a lot of panic in the United camp and many party members are keeping their feelings close to their chest.

So what mindset is Bernier in, where he feels empowered to speak where others won’t?

“I’ve really got a ‘screw you’ and ‘screw it’ attitude right now,” he said.

“I’m not trying to throw anybody under the bus, but I’m trying to make sure I’m filling the void and make sure there’s information out there.”

Elections BC says BC United had not submitted any endorsements for the 2024 provincial general election before this week’s announcement, but it says this is not unusual.

“Parties often wait until closer to the nominations deadline (Sept. 28) to submit their endorsement paperwork,” a representative for Elections BC said.

“If BCU does not submit an endorsement for a candidate who has otherwise met the nomination requirements under the Election Act, the candidate will appear on the ballot as an unaffiliated candidate. This would not apply if the candidate withdraws.”

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/08/30/mike-bernier-bc-united-options/

I also wouldn't be surprised that if that happens, a new version of the BC Liberals/BC United ends up rising from the ashes led by Bernier.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The issue is the NDP have an ability to claim they have actually managed to complete major parts of the electoral platform.  Something like 60% or more in this last term and 79% in their first which is shocking.  They've completed site C, increased BCs GDP, finished the pipeline, have numerous LNG projects coming online.  In fact about the ONLY thing people can truly crap on them for is dragging their feet on infrastructure projects and the issue with vagrancy 

Any other ssue including affordability, housing prices and immigration are universally outside of the provincial ability to stop

Wait, your now saying housing isn't in the provincial sphere? Christy must be so relieved 😅 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Especially when you have the guy set to become the PM who was out glad handing with the FREEDUMB CONVOY morons. 

A lot of voters don't seem to care about this stuff.

I think the NDP are going to have to do better than say the other guys suck. 

51 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

A lot of voters don't seem to care about this stuff.

I think the NDP are going to have to do better than say the other guys suck. 

Never mind freedumb convoy idiocy. We have clear examples across the prairies and Ontario of what happens under conservative governments... Slashed funding, privatization, rising costs, anti labour, pro corporate, regressive social, health, rights., anti science... 

That they're still polling so well provincially and federally... It's BAFFLING. Wake the F up people!

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Never mind freedumb convoy idiocy. We have clear examples across the prairies and Ontario of what happens under conservative governments... Slashed funding, privatization, rising costs, anti labour, pro corporate, regressive social, health, rights., anti science... 

That they're still polling so well provincially and federally... It's BAFFLING. Wake the F up people!

Bingo. I think it would be a mistake for them to go negative (even though its mostly true). Not enough people seem to care about the con weirdos.

Eby needs to sell his vision.

Edited by Bob Long

Just now, Bob Long said:

Bingo. I think it would be a mistake for them to go negative (even though its mostly true). Not enough people seem to care about the con weirdos.

Because Canada is so "broken"...

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because Canada is so "broken"...

Feelings don't care about facts.

A negative message seems to always sells better than a positive.

Joseph Goebbels was right- just repeat things over and over and many will believe it.

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Good luck getting away from the stigma Rustad

https://pressprogress.ca/freedom-convoy-donor-list-includes-names-of-several-candidates-for-john-rustads-bc-conservatives/

In a statement, the BC Conservatives said that “as part of the agreement, the Conservative Party of BC has committed to review candidates base on an improved vetting process.”

That could pose a problem for four BC Conservative candidates whose names appear on a list of Freedom Convoy donors that was part of a data leak connected to the convoy’s GiveSendGo crowdfunding campaign.

According to data reviewed by PressProgress, names and postal codes matching Jaclyn Aubichon, BC Conservative candidate for West Vancouver–Capliano, and Rosalyn Bird, BC Conservative candidate for Prince George-Valemount, appear on the Freedom Convoy donor list.

The names of Anna Kindy, BC Conservative candidate for North Island and Ndellie Mwanangulu-Massey, BC Conservative candidate for New Westminster-Coquitlam, also appear on the list of donors.

A number of Rustad’s BC Conservative candidates have already come under fire for strange and controversial views, including some who have already stepped down.

Recently, Rachael Weber, the BC Conservative candidate for Prince George-Mackenzie and a local school trustee in Prince George, made reference to a COVID-19 conspiracy in a Facebook post that called 5G cell towers “genocidal weapons” and the cause of the pandemic..

In response, Rustad defended Weber’s comments and dismissed criticism of her conspiratorial statements as “cancel culture.”

In an interview defending Weber on CKPG News, Rustad said he supports “all of our candidates”:

“I support all of our candidates and the work that they’re doing. I’m not going to allow cancel culture to take root in this province, I think it’s done too much damage. It’s been a significant part of the left-wing’s tools in terms of attacking people and going away from the real issues that are out there such as the overdoses we’ve been seeing, safe supply and decriminalization and the damage that’s done.”

Nothing like a party embracing candidates who openly funded domestic terrorism.

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

With this improved vetting proposal-are they going to apply the new standard, to those already in the spot, or just the newbies?

Their own leader belongs in prison; I wouldn't hold my breath.

• ThereItIs 1

British Columbia’s newly resurgent Conservative party envisions sweeping changes to schools, housing, climate and reconciliation with First Nations if it’s elected to form government this fall for the first time in nearly a century.

The party, which has been climbing steadily in the polls and is now well ahead of the BC United, the current Opposition, would repeal the provincial Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act in favour of pivoting to an approach of “economic reconciliation” by signing business deals with individual First Nations.

As well, the party would strike a committee to review all school textbooks and literature to ensure they are “neutral,” party leader John Rustad said during a wide-ranging meeting with The Globe and Mail’s editorial board in Vancouver earlier this month.

“It shouldn’t be about indoctrination of anything, whether that’s environmental or whether that’s political or whether that’s sexual,” Mr. Rustad said, referencing his proposal to censor books deemed by his Conservative government to be inappropriate for students.

Mr. Rustad is a five-term MLA from the Nechako Lakes riding west of Prince George and, for four years, was the minister of Indigenous reconciliation in Christy Clark’s Liberal government.

Mr. Rustad and Bruce Banman, of Abbotsford South, both sit as BC Conservatives in the legislature after being elected as members of BC United in 2020. Mr. Rustad was ejected from the BC United caucus in 2022 after his social-media posts cast doubt that people are directly responsible for the climate changing around the globe. Mr. Banman crossed the floor to join Mr. Rustad last September and has refused to say whether he agrees or disagrees with climate change.

At the meeting with The Globe, he said his party is not yet ready to unveil the planks of its election platform that will address these problems, but did say he wants to scrap most of the NDP’s housing policies.

“It’s more of the question ‘Is there anything I’d like to keep?’ Which is: probably not much,” Mr. Rustad said.

He singled out the “authoritarian” way the province has selected 30 communities to produce a targeted number of new homes over the next five years, an effort the NDP says is spurring these cities to do more to confront their housing shortages.

“I don’t believe that they should come in and override local government and local government decision-making,” Mr. Rustad said.

Regarding health care, he said Conservatives would commit to maintaining the universal system paid for by the government, but would look to increase the number of private clinics providing services and procedures such as hip replacements. This privately provided care would be covered for patients by the public system, he said, an approach that Ontario and Alberta have embraced as a way to reduce wait times and one even B.C.’s NDP government is increasingly using as well.

Mr. Rustad said a group of medical professionals recently told him the closest analogue to B.C.’s healthcare system is that of a totalitarian dictatorship across the Pacific.

“I’m told that there’s only one jurisdiction that even comes close to following what we do and that’s North Korea – and it’s not exactly a stellar model, from my perspective, of success in health care,” said Mr. Rustad, who added that his government would immediately fire Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry over her support for COVID-19 vaccine mandates.

Mr. Rustad refused to identify the group of medical professionals that provided this analysis.

On climate change, Mr. Rustad has been vocal about ending the province’s carbon tax, which the BC Liberals created in 2008 as the first such levy in North America.

Mr. Rustad argues the science around human causes of climate change is “a theory and it’s not proven,” a position widely at odds with accepted science. But Mr. Rustad maintains there is no pressing need to legislate solutions.

• Vintage 1

thumb-2024-08-09-bc-conservative-john-rustad-climate-change
Video

BC Conservative Leader Confirms He Won’t Moderate His Anti-Scientific Views on Climate Change

BC Conservative leader John Rustad was expelled from the BC Liberal Party in 2022 over controversial views on climate science

https://pressprogress.ca/bc-conservative-leader-confirms-he-wont-moderate-his-anti-scientific-views-on-climate-change/

Freedom Convoy Donor List Includes Names of Several Candidates for John Rustad’s BC Conservatives

One BC Conservative candidate was a headline speaker at a convoy conference alongside BC Conservative leader John Rustad

https://pressprogress.ca/freedom-convoy-donor-list-includes-names-of-several-candidates-for-john-rustads-bc-conservatives/

9 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Freedom Convoy Donor List Includes Names of Several Candidates for John Rustad’s BC Conservatives

One BC Conservative candidate was a headline speaker at a convoy conference alongside BC Conservative leader John Rustad

the convoy people have conferences?

9 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

British Columbia’s newly resurgent Conservative party envisions sweeping changes to schools, housing, climate and reconciliation with First Nations if it’s elected to form government this fall for the first time in nearly a century.

The party, which has been climbing steadily in the polls and is now well ahead of the BC United, the current Opposition, would repeal the provincial Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act in favour of pivoting to an approach of “economic reconciliation” by signing business deals with individual First Nations.

As well, the party would strike a committee to review all school textbooks and literature to ensure they are “neutral,” party leader John Rustad said during a wide-ranging meeting with The Globe and Mail’s editorial board in Vancouver earlier this month.

“It shouldn’t be about indoctrination of anything, whether that’s environmental or whether that’s political or whether that’s sexual,” Mr. Rustad said, referencing his proposal to censor books deemed by his Conservative government to be inappropriate for students.

Mr. Rustad is a five-term MLA from the Nechako Lakes riding west of Prince George and, for four years, was the minister of Indigenous reconciliation in Christy Clark’s Liberal government.

Mr. Rustad and Bruce Banman, of Abbotsford South, both sit as BC Conservatives in the legislature after being elected as members of BC United in 2020. Mr. Rustad was ejected from the BC United caucus in 2022 after his social-media posts cast doubt that people are directly responsible for the climate changing around the globe. Mr. Banman crossed the floor to join Mr. Rustad last September and has refused to say whether he agrees or disagrees with climate change.

At the meeting with The Globe, he said his party is not yet ready to unveil the planks of its election platform that will address these problems, but did say he wants to scrap most of the NDP’s housing policies.

“It’s more of the question ‘Is there anything I’d like to keep?’ Which is: probably not much,” Mr. Rustad said.

He singled out the “authoritarian” way the province has selected 30 communities to produce a targeted number of new homes over the next five years, an effort the NDP says is spurring these cities to do more to confront their housing shortages.

“I don’t believe that they should come in and override local government and local government decision-making,” Mr. Rustad said.

Regarding health care, he said Conservatives would commit to maintaining the universal system paid for by the government, but would look to increase the number of private clinics providing services and procedures such as hip replacements. This privately provided care would be covered for patients by the public system, he said, an approach that Ontario and Alberta have embraced as a way to reduce wait times and one even B.C.’s NDP government is increasingly using as well.

Mr. Rustad said a group of medical professionals recently told him the closest analogue to B.C.’s healthcare system is that of a totalitarian dictatorship across the Pacific.

“I’m told that there’s only one jurisdiction that even comes close to following what we do and that’s North Korea – and it’s not exactly a stellar model, from my perspective, of success in health care,” said Mr. Rustad, who added that his government would immediately fire Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry over her support for COVID-19 vaccine mandates.

Mr. Rustad refused to identify the group of medical professionals that provided this analysis.

On climate change, Mr. Rustad has been vocal about ending the province’s carbon tax, which the BC Liberals created in 2008 as the first such levy in North America.

Mr. Rustad argues the science around human causes of climate change is “a theory and it’s not proven,” a position widely at odds with accepted science. But Mr. Rustad maintains there is no pressing need to legislate solutions.

there's a few things I don't mind in here, like actual business deals with First Nations vs posturing; more effective housing action; better use of public access to privately run clinics. Its just unfortunate that it has to be wrapped up in this other bat shit crazy stuff.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Conservatives are so evil, unpopular and bad but somehow their leading in the polls both Nationally and Provincially?

I guess running things into the ground isn't a winning strategy for the incumbent parties.   Going to be humorous on this forum after these elections. 

Edited by bolt
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bolt said:

Conservatives are so evil, unpopular and bad but somehow their leading in the polls both Nationally and Provincially?

I guess running things into the ground isn't a winning strategy for the incumbent parties.   Going to be humorous on this forum after these elections. 

What's wrong with disliking a party? If people can't dislike and think Conservatives are evil then you're not allowed to think Trudeau's evil.

Simply put don't start bashing one party while mocking people who bash your own party. It only shows you being a hypocrite in the end.

And, for the record, I don't like any of the parties at the moment.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

What's wrong with disliking a party? If people can't dislike and think Conservatives are evil then you're not allowed to think Trudeau's evil.

Simply put don't start bashing one party while mocking people who bash your own party. It only shows you being a hypocrite in the end.

And, for the record, I don't like any of the parties at the moment.

I agree it goes both ways. Nevertheless, the conservative momentum is continuing to build. 

23 minutes ago, bolt said:

How's Alberta doing?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

I agree it goes both ways. Nevertheless, the conservative momentum is continuing to build. 

It it building. I wish I didn't disagree so much with a lot of the BC Conservatives values. If they win and continue their stance, I wouldn't be surprised if they're only in power for 4 years. I think a lot of the current momentum are disgruntled voters of the current government and once those voters see what policies are put in place from the Conservatives they may become disgruntled voters again. lol

If you're a centrist right now, it sucks.

Edited by The Lock