B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just for shits and giggles....here is my priority list, provincial

1. Introduce nursing into high schools (Mandatory) get rid of some of the electives, that do not pertain to what jobs you might do, in your adult life

2. Open up Provincial lands and develop them, without developers assistance. Sold with the understanding that they must be built on within 2 years, by the original owner.

3. Bring back shop courses (building, electrical, plumbing, welding)

4. Introduce life skills course to all grade 11 and 12's (Budgeting, cooking, driving)

5. Pay university tuition for anyone taking doctors, or Practioner Nurses (spelling?) and a manditory 5 years, at an assigned community, to have the tuition forgiven.

6. Give tax incentives to companies willing to locate to low vacancy area's ( I know of many!)

7. Allow drilling off of the BC coast

8. Open up an Aboriginal University (First Nations obviously)

9. Business tax exemption for 5 years (only new concepts/business's not competing with existing BC business's) Only on net profits! For re-location to BC

10. Sweeping audit of all Provincial agencies/Departments/crown Corporations/BC Ferries/and BC Hydro

11. A Super Ferry Terminal on the south end of Gabriola Island....1/2 hour crossings, to YVR

12. Negotiate with the Feds, over the abolishment of Indian affairs department, 

13. The implementation of large grants for Geo-Thermal heating

14. Proper audit of the Welfare act, and those on it.

15. Audit of price gouging in Grocery stores...........if we can price fix rent, then we sure the hell can keep food prices from sky rocketing

That would be the first week!

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Better on which file? 

Gordo did a lot of good things for the economy. 

Christy was odd.

I don't think the NDP can spend us out of our current issues.

Well, I certainly take issue with how the NDP spent our 1.6 Billion dollar surplus!

Are you speaking of Gord, I drive drunk Campbell ?

Really? Hmmm!?????

10 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Here is a question for anyone that actually knows................

What percentage of kids that are graduating, actually go to University or Trade school?

Anyone know?

Here on the Island high schools offer programs towards getting an apprenticeship in trades  .

There is no way to track what people do after graduation nor should there be a way.

29 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Well, I certainly take issue with how the NDP spent our 1.6 Billion dollar surplus!

Really? Hmmm!?????

Yep him. People may not like him personally, but the BC economy wouldn't be as strong or diversified without him.

56 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Here on the Island high schools offer programs towards getting an apprenticeship in trades  .

There is no way to track what people do after graduation nor should there be a way.

I lived in Ladysmith, when my step-daughter graduated

I think there was approx. 130 kids that graduated that year

I think it was approx. 40 that were headed to university

and

On the tracking...of course they should...how else do they know how to budget for expansion of classes

What a silly comment! Psssst! Someone is watching you! Be careful! LOL

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

I lived in Ladysmith, when my step-daughter graduated

I think there was approx. 130 kids that graduated that year

I think it was approx. 40 that were headed to university

and

On the tracking...of course they should...how else do they know how to budget for expansion of classes

What a silly comment! Psssst! Someone is watching you! Be careful! LOL

Ohhhhhh that hurts lol.

Budget for classes after they leave? That makes no sense.

I don't get it.  No offence but is no ones business what you do after graduation.  The high school needs to know?  That is just

creepy.

When did she graduate.....maybe with my son.

Psssst.....I am not tracking her ......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

In Norway, they start their apprenticeships at the start of grade 10 and get school credits for the time..............My in-law was finishing his 3rd year of his apprenticeship when he graduated............

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Just for shits and giggles....here is my priority list, provincial

1. Introduce nursing into high schools (Mandatory) get rid of some of the electives, that do not pertain to what jobs you might do, in your adult life

2. Open up Provincial lands and develop them, without developers assistance. Sold with the understanding that they must be built on within 2 years, by the original owner.

3. Bring back shop courses (building, electrical, plumbing, welding)

4. Introduce life skills course to all grade 11 and 12's (Budgeting, cooking, driving)

5. Pay university tuition for anyone taking doctors, or Practioner Nurses (spelling?) and a manditory 5 years, at an assigned community, to have the tuition forgiven.

6. Give tax incentives to companies willing to locate to low vacancy area's ( I know of many!)

7. Allow drilling off of the BC coast

8. Open up an Aboriginal University (First Nations obviously)

9. Business tax exemption for 5 years (only new concepts/business's not competing with existing BC business's) Only on net profits! For re-location to BC

10. Sweeping audit of all Provincial agencies/Departments/crown Corporations/BC Ferries/and BC Hydro

11. A Super Ferry Terminal on the south end of Gabriola Island....1/2 hour crossings, to YVR

12. Negotiate with the Feds, over the abolishment of Indian affairs department, 

13. The implementation of large grants for Geo-Thermal heating

14. Proper audit of the Welfare act, and those on it.

15. Audit of price gouging in Grocery stores...........if we can price fix rent, then we sure the hell can keep food prices from sky rocketing

That would be the first week!

I can dig it, if you were willing to compromise on the Gabe ferry idea. I like the rest.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I can dig it, if you were willing to compromise on the Gabe ferry idea. I like the rest.

Here is the thing about the ferry...............When we do this, we

-reduce Green house emissions

-reduce possibility for collision

-reduce possibility of a spill

-improve transportation for industry

-improve aquatic habitat

-improve our over-all transportation off the island (Imagine being able to go to sporting events, and still be home at night, or flying out of YVR or Abbotford, without having to stay over the night before or the day back.

-improve tourism

-etc.

This is not to say, we don't actually increase sailing costs for non-residents, meaning deterring hooligans, all the while exploring ways to enhance the experience for the rest of the world. Smaller ships, more often, equals less crew, and much more environmentally friendly....

Not to mention, carving out the terminal out of the sandstone, and making a large artificial reef with the tailings.

Give shippers massive discounts to use the service between 11 pm and 6 am. Let trucker make more money and keep them off the road in the daytime.

Personally, I see nothing but wins

We can not ignore progress, if well thought out, and improves our way of life

^ I just mean it is far too much money to spend on Gabe, with its tiny population, and connecting Gabe to Vancouver Island to make it a travel hub seems anethema to the people of Gabriola. I feel it is stuck with either a bridge connection to the main Island or will in perpetuity be a sparsely populated poorly serviced secondary island like Thetis, Texada, and the like. 

A ferry attached to Gabriola likely wouldn't resonate with the inhabitants of Gabriola either, the island has a rep for being kindy hippy, Gabe even moreso. 

We've already seen the island become a suburb of sorts for the mainland as is. 

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

A ferry attached to Gabriola likely wouldn't resonate with the inhabitants of Gabriola either, the island has a rep for being kindy hippy, Gabe even moreso. 

We've already seen the island become a suburb of sorts for the mainland as is. 

the island is unique imo in that it has created the "redneck hippy" - a unique variant of hippy only found on the left coast of Canada. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the island is unique imo in that it has created the "redneck hippy" - a unique variant of hippy only found on the left coast of Canada. 

That does seem true to a degree, although I'd assert that the redneck aspect isn't quite the same as whatever goes on in Alberta 

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That does seem true to a degree, although I'd assert that the redneck aspect isn't quite the same as whatever goes on in Alberta 

Nope it's all the good outdoors stuff mixed with peacenik

That Alberta stuff is something else 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Really? Hmmm!?????

See, I'd rather talk about policy rather than 1 event that people ridicule someone for. Obviously, what he did was bad and I'm not discounting that, but if you're just basing things on a single thing he did outside of work in order to entirely throw anything he did at work... that part I don't agree with.

There's a reason why Campbell was re-elected twice. Things were pretty good during that time at least from my perspective.

And, for the record, I would say the same thing if the NDP were in that position too. I'd just rather talk about policy rather than talk about scandals. This is government not a reality show. Another example: federally, I don't like Trudeau because I don't like the policies put in place. Unless if it's something on a scale of Trump or Putin, any scandals that happen is just noise to me lol. 🙂

Anyway, hopefully I don't get misunderstood with this. This isn't to discount any bad that was done nor is it to give politicians a pass in any way for bad behaviour. I guess the way I see it is everyone's going to be hyper-focused on that stuff whereas I want a more overall picture.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Thank God the free crack pipes and cocaine snorting kits are right outside the Emergency entrance at the hospital inside a vending machine.  Just in case you OD you are real close to getting some help.  Also, props to the government for providing instructions on how to properly snort cocaine.  They never taught us this in school.  I’ve been doing it wrong the whole time!!  🤣

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thank God the free crack pipes and cocaine snorting kits are right outside the Emergency entrance at the hospital inside a vending machine.  Just in case you OD you are real close to getting some help.  Also, props to the government for providing instructions on how to properly snort cocaine.  They never taught us this in school.  I’ve been doing it wrong the whole time!!  🤣

NUtz posted about this in the meme thread.

Your boy Eby is reviewing it.

I know a bit about them from the lovely lads that I take care of at work.

There are some up Island ( i believe). The cops like it as the riff raff stay to one area instead of being all over the place.

Not saying I think these are a great thing, I just dont know about them enough. 

Hope you get better at your cocaine snorting, how have you been doing it wrong?

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

NUtz posted about this in the meme thread.

Your boy Eby is reviewing it.

I know a bit about them from the lovely lads that I take care of at work.

There are some up Island ( i believe). The cops like it as the riff raff stay to one area instead of being all over the place.

Not saying I think these are a great thing, I just dont know about them enough. 

Hope you get better at your cocaine snorting, how have you been doing it wrong?

I’m surprised they don’t have the actual cocaine available as well. Bummer really.  It takes work to find a good dealer on the Island.  😊

Well, I’ve never been good at cutting up the powder.  So always left too much residue on my nose. My buddy fixed that by getting a sharp razor blade. The best part was he always carried a $100 bill. When you are snorting with the ladies, you gotta do it in style. 😃

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m surprised they don’t have the actual cocaine available as well. Bummer really.  It takes work to find a good dealer on the Island.  😊

Well, I’ve never been good at cutting up the powder.  So always left too much residue on my nose. My buddy fixed that by getting a sharp razor blade. The best part was he always carried a $100 bill. When you are snorting with the ladies, you gotta do it in style. 😃

Never touched the stuff but I dont judge. Alcohol is the deadliest drug. 

Legalise it all and do it right.

People aren't going to stop.

• ThereItIs 1

In the past, I've suggested a  new ferry terminal on Galiano and bridges connecting the southern gulf islands. No longer having 2 super ferries passing each other in Active Pass, is a huge risk reduction.

More populated Victoria and area, than Nanaimo and area.

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Never touched the stuff but I dont judge. Alcohol is the deadliest drug. 

Legalise it all and do it right.

People aren't going to stop.

This was 25 years ago.  Haven't touched the stuff since.  I don't even drink anymore.  I get my fix with my steaks at the Keg...   😉