B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This was 25 years ago.  Haven't touched the stuff since.  I don't even drink anymore.  I get my fix with my steaks at the Keg...   😉

Being a workout freak, stopping drinking was the best thing I ever did.  My body responded in a great way.

Careful with how much of that red meat you consume. I know there are lots of opinions out there, so I am not preaching, However, my opinion is that it should be consumed in moderation, for health reasons. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JIAHN said:

In Norway, they start their apprenticeships at the start of grade 10 and get school credits for the time..............My in-law was finishing his 3rd year of his apprenticeship when he graduated............

I believe that same program has been started here or something similer.

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

See, I'd rather talk about policy rather than 1 event that people ridicule someone for. Obviously, what he did was bad and I'm not discounting that, but if you're just basing things on a single thing he did outside of work in order to entirely throw anything he did at work... that part I don't agree with.

There's a reason why Campbell was re-elected twice. Things were pretty good during that time at least from my perspective.

And, for the record, I would say the same thing if the NDP were in that position too. I'd just rather talk about policy rather than talk about scandals. This is government not a reality show. Another example: federally, I don't like Trudeau because I don't like the policies put in place. Unless if it's something on a scale of Trump or Putin, any scandals that happen is just noise to me lol. 🙂

Anyway, hopefully I don't get misunderstood with this. This isn't to discount any bad that was done nor is it to give politicians a pass in any way for bad behaviour. I guess the way I see it is everyone's going to be hyper-focused on that stuff whereas I want a more overall picture.

My problem with Gordo is that he told the people of BC he quit drinking after his drinking charge......and he did not stop.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I believe that same program has been started here or something similer.

My problem with Gordo is that he told the people of BC he quit drinking after his drinking charge......and he did not stop.

Isn't that his personal matter? 

7 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

And that's unfortunate that that happened. Unfortunately, that's a common issue among people with drinking problems and not isolated to former premiers.

Not only that, but there's so many more people who are needed to form a party rather than 1 premier last I checked. Policy doesn't just come from 1 person which should allow us to isolate personal issues 

When a member of a rock band has a drinking problem are people suddenly going "oh that band sucks now" or are they hoping that band member gets their crap figured out? Yet, depending on however you view certain parties, it seems equality never happens when it comes to personal issues and how people react. If a party someone likes has a leader with a personal issue, they hope the best for that person. If a party someone hates has a leader with a personal issue, they often scold that person or even make a meme.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And that's unfortunate that that happened. Unfortunately, that's a common issue among people with drinking problems and not isolated to former premiers.

Not only that, but there's so many more people who are needed to form a party rather than 1 premier last I checked. Policy doesn't just come from 1 person which should allow us to isolate personal issues 

When a member of a rock band has a drinking problem are people suddenly going "oh that band sucks now" or are they hoping that band member gets their crap figured out? Yet, depending on however you view certain parties, it seems equality never happens when it comes to personal issues and how people react. If a party someone likes has a leader with a personal issue, they hope the best for that person. If a party someone hates has a leader with a personal issue, they often scold that person or even make a meme.

It was his choice to make it public to the people of BC that he quit.  All your other points I agree.

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

Yes.....I was an alcoholic at one point.

Then I'm sure you said something you regretted. 

I don't know that it's fair to judge him too harshly on this point, without knowing how bad things were for him.

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Then I'm sure you said something you regretted. 

I don't know that it's fair to judge him too harshly on this point, without knowing how bad things were for him.

Actually no.  People could not even tell I was drunk most time..  I was never and angry stupid drunk.....horny?  Ya lol....

And I was never Premier of BC telling the people of BC that I quit. 

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

See, I'd rather talk about policy rather than 1 event that people ridicule someone for. Obviously, what he did was bad and I'm not discounting that, but if you're just basing things on a single thing he did outside of work in order to entirely throw anything he did at work... that part I don't agree with.

There's a reason why Campbell was re-elected twice. Things were pretty good during that time at least from my perspective.

And, for the record, I would say the same thing if the NDP were in that position too. I'd just rather talk about policy rather than talk about scandals. This is government not a reality show. Another example: federally, I don't like Trudeau because I don't like the policies put in place. Unless if it's something on a scale of Trump or Putin, any scandals that happen is just noise to me lol. 🙂

Anyway, hopefully I don't get misunderstood with this. This isn't to discount any bad that was done nor is it to give politicians a pass in any way for bad behaviour. I guess the way I see it is everyone's going to be hyper-focused on that stuff whereas I want a more overall picture.

I have no issue with your reasoning....fair enough!

I guess my problem is he never really held himself accountable. That is when he screwed up politically, IMHO. I also do not support MAD because of their mute voice over this incident......

I guess, I actually hold politicians accountable for their actions......he should have resigned. H e did not, and that is why I have an issue with him. No other reason.

But again, I am good with your opinion......

Cheers!

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

the island is unique imo in that it has created the "redneck hippy" - a unique variant of hippy only found on the left coast of Canada. 

Agreed, I see it all over the place. Peace, Love, and Dualies on my truck!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Wasn't it Gord that 'sold' the ferries and 'leased' the BC Rail tracks?

And was it him, or Christy that ripped up teachers and hospital staff contracts, costing  the tax payers a crap ton of money?

There's the union angle on it.

58 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I have no issue with your reasoning....fair enough!

I guess my problem is he never really held himself accountable. That is when he screwed up politically, IMHO. I also do not support MAD because of their mute voice over this incident......

I guess, I actually hold politicians accountable for their actions......he should have resigned. H e did not, and that is why I have an issue with him. No other reason.

But again, I am good with your opinion......

Cheers!

Hey. I hold politicians accountable too. Remember that I said this is in no way to give politicians a pass for having bad behaviour.

What this is however is me saying there's so much more to politics than just scandals. I guess what I disagree with is putting the scandal before what actually affects our lives: the policies. A politician getting drunk is less likely to affect our lives than a tax of sorts and if we're suddenly talking about him being drunk more than we're talking about how we're being taxed (again, this is just an example)... that seems rather alarming to me.

And I get that policies are boring, but that's what politics is supposed to be: boring. lol

And perhaps it's the crap happening down in the states that has me more thinking this way, because I'm just plain tired of the Trump stuff and I really want to see things return to normal.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Wasn't it Gord that 'sold' the ferries and 'leased' the BC Rail tracks?

And was it him, or Christy that ripped up teachers and hospital staff contracts, costing  the tax payers a crap ton of money?

He sold the fast ferries that weren’t fast to the only buyer that would take them. Sold for pennies on the dollar. Our friend Glen Clark paid $400 million for them. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He sold the fast ferries that weren’t fast to the only buyer that would take them. Sold for pennies on the dollar. Our friend Glen Clark paid $400 million for them. 

sold them, at auction- after turning down a previous higher offer-from the company that ended up getting them for millions less.- yeah that was Gordo wasn't it?

25 minutes ago, Gurn said:

sold them, at auction- after turning down a previous higher offer-from the company that ended up getting them for millions less.- yeah that was Gordo wasn't it?

Maybe you should be asking yourself why they needed to be sold in the first place. What did Glen Clark get with our $400 million?  Those 3 ferries were literally decommissioned and taken out of service. You do know this right?

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well after what’s happened from last week, I personally would agree to the death penalty for anyone caught drinking and driving. 

How about mandating that all cars in Canada need to have built-in breathalyzers by 2035?

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

How about mandating that all cars in Canada need to have built-in breathalyzers by 2035?

Depends on how they're to be used. If everyone needs to use them to start their cars, the only thing to likely come of that are people finding ways around having to use them in their vehicles.

If, however, you mean they are to just be provided for people to check their status before getting behind the wheel after a couple of drinks, then having those more readily available for that I could agree with.

Edited by The Lock