B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Ok, It seems like more to me. You with NDP seems like me with cilantro. Just cant do it

I've actually voted NDP once. It was strategic to keep a Harper lackey out of my riding, and it worked so I'm happy. I'm almost certain to do it again this provincial election as my riding is leaning BCC and it makes me gag. 

I side with who I think can get the most good things done. Sometimes thats been PCs. Sometimes it's been Libs. Looks like it'll be twice for NDP. 

What I don't like is someone setting a really high aspirational bar, and then being hit over the head with it because I'm not living up to it. Set achievable goals and work them, thats what I want. 

I also do have a problem with how business is viewed. I've met so many fantastic business people in my life and work, none of them are the evil fuckers that some NDP folks paint them to be. Having said that, I never did meet Chip so they might be right on that case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Their mess, and then the  Libs messed up by not taking the extra $50 mill they could have.

OK I'll concede that.

But it's a bit like the NDP burning down the house, and being mad someone else didn't save the tv. 

49 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So I think it depends on whether or not the Liberals had the ability to make a better deal or not.

If there was a deal out there for the ships where they could have made more money but they had failed on it, then I agree with Gurn.

If, however, there was no other deal in place and nothing better could have been done then I agree with Bob Long.

So the question is, do we know whether there was an offer for the ferries or not that involved more money when the Liberals were in power?

it probably came down to which deal actually materialized on the table. It's easy to say there was this offer or that offer, but until someone cuts a cheque it's all academic. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it probably came down to which deal actually materialized on the table. It's easy to say there was this offer or that offer, but until someone cuts a cheque it's all academic. 

I don't quite know if I understand what you mean by "it's all academic."

Also, how is "a deal actually materialized" different from there being an offer?

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't quite know if I understand what you mean by "it's all academic."

people can say whatever they want to about deals that never panned out. 

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Also, how is "a deal actually materialized" different from there being an offer?

we don't know the details of the offer, maybe it was contingent on something, maybe it was more of a tire kicking thing, until someone actually pays its all theoretical. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

people can say whatever they want to about deals that never panned out. 

we don't know the details of the offer, maybe it was contingent on something, maybe it was more of a tire kicking thing, until someone actually pays its all theoretical. 

Except those details that would have outlined the reasoning behind the Liberals not making that deal, had they existed, would have likely been shown to the public. The Liberals would have no reason not to provide them in order to defend themselves.

Union members authorize possible B.C. port strike but no notice issued

VANCOUVER — The union representing foremen at British Columbia's ports say members have voted overwhelmingly to authorize strike action if necessary in an ongoing labour dispute with port employers

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

When we don't really see things like the housing crisis and other important issues really improve, people eventually start becoming desperate for pretty much anything else. The NDP often talks smart, but actions speak louder than words.

It's not much different than in hockey where we, as fans, get mad at a GM when we don't see improvement of the team or at least a clear direction.

And no, I don't like the Conservatives. I'm stuck in the middle at this point. There's currently no party for me to vote for. This is more to answer your question in "wondering how this is even this close". If enough inaction takes place, people will either abstain from voting or vote for the other party. Nothing me or you will say will change the fact that the NDP has been slipping in popularity as of late and there are reasons for it. The evidence is in the fact that it is now a close race.

I see @MattJVD already covered a lot of this, but the NDP run government has made a LOT of pretty sizable changes in regards to housing (and education and health care/doctors).

I'm not even sure I get @Bob Long's sentiment of "hating corporations". I think for the  most part, they've still been fairly business friendly, just not without considering things like workers, first nations, the environment etc (AKA how business development SHOULD be done). This seems to be similar to that Rustad video of the sentiment that "the left hates nuclear"...🤨 Umm, ok? "The left" doesn't hate nuclear, we just want it somewhere safe/where it makes sense (not an Earthquake zone for example).  Don't "hate business" either, we just want to make sure that said business is paying it's fair share of taxes, treats its employees well, doesn't damage the environment etc. There seems to be more "sentiment" than actual meat on those bones.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I see @MattJVD already covered a lot of this, but the NDP run government has made a LOT of pretty sizable changes in regards to housing (and education and health care/doctors).

I'm not even sure I get @Bob Long's sentiment of "hating corporations". I think for the  most part, they've still been fairly business friendly, just not without considering things like workers, first nations, the environment etc (AKA how business development SHOULD be done). This seems to be similar to that Rustad video of the sentiment that "the left hates nuclear"...🤨 Umm, ok? "The left" doesn't hate nuclear, we just want it somewhere safe/where it makes sense (not an Earthquake zone for example).  Don't "hate business" either, we just want to make sure that said business is paying it's fair share of taxes, treats its employees well, doesn't damage the environment etc. There seems to be more "sentiment" than actual meat on those bones.

And you probably already read my reply to Matt and perhaps you even saw my more recent responses to Bob Long's stance on "deals that were offered", etc. lol Hopefully all of that at least shows I try and have a balanced opinion about all of this when I can.

It's really easy to hate one side or the other for various reasons and I genuinely think there's a reason why some BC United members are just stepping down entirely: they don't agree with the Conservatives platform enough to continue as a Conservative. I'm of a similar mindset to that and it's almost weird to see elected officials do what I would have done in their shoes. lol

Truth be told, I need to look into things more anyway, ideally before the election. I need to make up my own mind about things.

52 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I agree on the single-family lot issues. I hope some municipalities will take the Edmonton approach and just allow fee-simple duplexes and triplexes: Essentially subdividing the lot and allowing for 0 setbacks, so individual units of the du/triplex can be sold with no strata. In Edmonton, the application to "subdivide" (okay, it's not technically subdivision, but close enough) costs $150-300 bucks and takes 30 days.

8 and 12 stories was deliberate, as that is the maximum for a wood framed structure. So yes there will be a lot of locations that don't see the economies of scale to go steel and concrete. But an 8 story wood frame building in that same location is pretty attractive. Pretty common to do one story of concrete if you have ground-floor commercial spaces, then do 5-7 wood-framed floors above too.

I definitely agree on the red tape issue, that's why I'm so keen on the zoning reform. I'm so tired of seeing modest 12-20 story buildings (or even a block of row houses in some extreme cases) be tied up for 2+ years in attempts to get a re-zoning application approved. I'm more familiar with the Victoria market than the lower mainland, as that is where I worked in housing, but it was frighteningly common for re-zoning applications to take years.

It sounds like we agree that the issues are mostly municipal. But that's why I'm fond of the province telling municipalities "do it, or I'll do it for you" when it comes to making it easier to build. I know some people are rather annoyed about the Province getting into municipal issues, but at this point it feels (to me) like they have to. I'd love to see the Province tell municipalities to "do it or I'll do it for you" on reductions in DLC's too.

I don’t believe any of the major developers in the city have adopted 8 and 12 storey wood frame buildings. And I’ve spoken to many of them. From what I understand it’s a newer technology but not sure whether it’s any cheaper than using concrete or steel. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t believe any of the major developers in the city have adopted 8 and 12 storey wood frame buildings. And I’ve spoken to many of them. From what I understand it’s a newer technology but not sure whether it’s any cheaper than using concrete or steel. 

Stick frame more than four stories is stupid. Sticks and chip board. Recipe for craperolla. It’s  no wonder buildings out here don’t last. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's really easy to hate one side or the other for various reasons and I genuinely think there's a reason why some BC United members are just stepping down entirely: they don't agree with the Conservatives platform enough to continue as a Conservative. I'm of a similar mindset to that and it's almost weird to see elected officials do what I would have done in their shoes. lol

"One side" is running on an extremely damaging anti-science, religion fed ideology agenda.

Never mind my views on the modern rights economic theories (AKA trickle down economics) and the DECADES of proof we have of it not working (same goes for their "tough on crime stance"). I'm happy to "debate" those differences in ideas any time. But that crap ^^^ is not acceptable.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Except those details that would have outlined the reasoning behind the Liberals not making that deal, had they existed, would have likely been shown to the public. The Liberals would have no reason not to provide them in order to defend themselves.

That's true, they could easily have spun it that way. But why would they purposely choose a worse deal?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

"One side" is running on an extremely damaging anti-science, religion fed ideology agenda.

Never mind my views on the modern rights economic theories (AKA trickle down economics) and the DECADES of proof we have of it not working (same goes for their "tough on crime stance"). I'm happy to "debate" those differences in ideas any time. But that crap ^^^ is not acceptable.

The anti-science and religion fed nonsense is definately the alarm for me and it would be in the NDP's best interest to remind everyone about that, especially the ones like my who would have likely voted BC United and are now up in the air.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

That's true, they could easily have spun it that way. But why would they purposely choose a worse deal?

You're focused too much on the word "purposely."

They likely thought they could sell them for more and when they realized they couldn't, it was too late. Basically, it was poor business sense. Not purposely done, just poorly thought out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

You're focused too much on the word "purposely."

They likely thought they could sell them for more and when they realized they couldn't, it was too late. Basically, it was poor business sense. Not purposely done, just poorly thought out.

Yea that's reasonable actually. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

how business "should" be done... isn't that the role of regulations?

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  If you go to Europe they don't even use wood.  It's all stone.  Houses in Europe last for generations...

they also take 2-3X as long to build and are very very expensive. We like it quick and cheap here. 

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  If you go to Europe they don't even use wood.  It's all stone.  Houses in Europe last for generations...

Back east it’s similar to Europe. Lots of stone and brick. We had a house in Nova Scotia built in 1848. It was rock solid and will be for a long time more. 
It’s sad how here we build fast and cheap. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1