B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The article popped out to me as I have been doing some courses on Indigenous issues for work.

This guy supported adopting UNDRIP, now doesn't. Not unlike his carbon tax support, as stated in the article. 

which is OK if you have a valid reason, isn't it?

my big concern with this whole sneak UNDRIP stuff is I am concerned its actually going to tank First Nations developments. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

which is OK if you have a valid reason, isn't it?

my big concern with this whole sneak UNDRIP stuff is I am concerned its actually going to tank First Nations developments. 

- Sure, I suppose

-That would suck if it affects FN's negatively.

I dont claim to know enough about what the right thing to do with land is... but I am very sympathetic about the idea reconciliation. The indigenous population got F*cked and are still reeling heavily from their land being stolen along with many other restrictions...

To this day, we have a massive over representation in prisons as one of the results. 5% of BC population is Indigenous, but they represent 30% of the prison population.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

- Sure, I suppose

-That would suck if it affects FN's negatively.

imagine for a moment that this gives a handful of hereditary folks the power they really need to tank development that 1000s of band members want. 

Also image developers looking at something like new rare earth or metals mining, looking at uncertainly in BC and then looking at Ontario. Where do you think the capital goes?

Now think about any other industry that needs crown land. 

Without a long consolation period with all stakeholders, this has the potential to be a freaking minefield. I'm also worried about the backlash against first nations when a town loses a major project and this is blamed. 

But this is the kind of thing the NDP doesn't care about, they really don't mind if development doesn't happen. 

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont claim to know enough about what the right thing to do with land is... but I am very sympathetic about the idea reconciliation. The indigenous population got F*cked and are still reeling heavily from their land being stolen along with many other restrictions...

To this day, we have a massive over representation in prisons as one of the results. 5% of BC population is Indigenous, but they represent 30% of the prison population.

no doubt. No argument from me.

but thats not a reason to do things the way Eby is. IMO this is what happens when there's no real opposition. 

If this was reversed, and the Libs or conservatives were doing something sweeping with almost no consolation, there'd be hair on fire complaining. But when its the NDP? no one seems to want to look at it critically on the left. 

Edited by Bob Long

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

imagine for a moment that this gives a handful of hereditary folks the power they really need to tank development that 1000s of band members want. 

Also image developers looking at something like new rare earth or metals mining, looking at uncertainly in BC and then looking at Ontario. Where do you think the capital goes?

Now think about any other industry that needs crown land. 

Without a long consolation period with all stakeholders, this has the potential to be a freaking minefield. I'm also worried about the backlash against first nations when a town loses a major project and this is blamed. 

But this is the kind of thing the NDP doesn't care about, they really don't mind if development doesn't happen. 

no doubt. No argument from me.

but thats not a reason to do things the way Eby is. IMO this is what happens when there's no real opposition. 

If this was reversed, and the Libs or conservatives were doing something sweeping with almost no consolation, there'd be hair on fire complaining. But when its the NDP? no one seems to want to look at it critically on the left. 

As long as it is a co-decision. They should have a voice imo. 

I know the hereditory chiefs have gotten criticism but they have to deal with that within the bands, that is their system. It's up to them to get it sorted out. We owe alot the the people that never ceded their land that we are discussing. 

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

As long as it is a co-decision. They should have a voice imo. 

but what does that mean? 5 = 1000? 

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know the hereditory chiefs have gotten criticism but they have to deal with that within the bands, that is their system. It's up to them to get it sorted out. We owe alot the the people that never ceded their land that we are discussing. 

again, no argument here. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but what does that mean? 5 = 1000? 

again, no argument here. 

I getcha.

I understand and would support elected officials ( chiefs) but it's their land. If they say the hereditary chiefs call the shots then I guess those chiefs are the ones that get the co-decision making powers with the province?

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I getcha.

I understand and would support elected officials ( chiefs) but it's their land. If they say the hereditary chiefs call the shots then I guess those chiefs are the ones that get the co-decision making powers with the province?

No idea. I would think each band would have it's own view.

To me this is how you do something when your goal is for it to fail. I suspect the reason they want to limit consultation is to push any political blow back to post legislation and then head into the next election.

I see this as just being rife with conflict and lost opportunity.

I'm not saying the general concept is wrong per se, but handling this way is going to get ugly fast in rural areas.

• Cheers 1

I have a hard time believing the provincial government is going to cede authority in the manner presented in the articles that have been linked in this thread.  I'd like to hear more from the government about this.

But if it is more or less accurate, I wonder how anything is going to get done in the province if such a process is enacted.  In effect, this legislation seems to be creating 204 new governments in the province.  Each with a veto authority on anything that goes on in their claimed territory.

While I am sympathetic to First Nations, a proposal such as this strikes me as an over-reach which could lead to a host of problems down the road.

I don't know what the solution is for reconciling with the First Nations but such a proposal as the one seemingly being presented here makes me uncomfortable.

But it's early days.  I still don't know that much about it.  Should be interesting to see what develops.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I have a hard time believing the provincial government is going to cede authority in the manner presented in the articles that have been linked in this thread.  I'd like to hear more from the government about this.

But if it is more or less accurate, I wonder how anything is going to get done in the province if such a process is enacted.  In effect, this legislation seems to be creating 204 new governments in the province.  Each with a veto authority on anything that goes on in their claimed territory.

While I am sympathetic to First Nations, a proposal such as this strikes me as an over-reach which could lead to a host of problems down the road.

I don't know what the solution is for reconciling with the First Nations but such a proposal as the one seemingly being presented here makes me uncomfortable.

But it's early days.  I still don't know that much about it.  Should be interesting to see what develops.

I share your concerns. 

18 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Yeah, I'm all for making everyone happy, but I don't want to see our government potentially with its hands tied behind its back just because we're trying to appease 1 side of things. This isn't meant to sound harsh or anything. I just think everyone matters in the end, regardless of whether you're FN or not.

Selina Robinson resigns cabinet post over 'crappy piece of land' remarks

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-news/selina-robinson-to-get-anti-islamophobia-training-after-rising-calls-for-resignation-8211739

Premier David Eby told reporters Monday that Brenda Bailey, B.C.'s jobs minister, will immediately take over Selina Robinson's responsibilities, though no longer-term decisions have been made.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:17 PM, UnkNuk said:

Hundreds of mental-health emergencies diverted from Vancouver police response

Putting psychiatric nurses inside a Vancouver Police Department’s operations centre has dramatically reduced the number of times “a cop with a gun” was sent to a mental-health emergency.

Starting last June, Vancouver Coastal Health has been assigning nurses to the centre where the police handle 911 calls with the job of triaging mental health emergencies.

Since then, the nurses have handled 1,372 mental-health emergency calls and 743 of those — or 54 per cent — were either resolved by the nurse or diverted to “more appropriate” health-care based responses so that police were not needed, Bonnie Wilson, Vancouver Coastal Health’s Vancouver community operations director, told city council on Tuesday.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/dan-fumano-hundreds-of-mental-health-emergencies-diverted-from-police-response?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VANSUN_Prov Covid Newsletter 2024-02-06&utm_term=SUNPROV_COVID19_Newsletter

Good things happening with Sim running things.

On 2/13/2024 at 2:05 PM, Bob Long said:

Good things happening with Sim running things.

This is one measure I fully support. Police officers aren’t equipped dealing with mental health issues. 

Nor should they. They only get it wrong. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

This is one measure I fully support. Police officers aren’t equipped dealing with mental health issues. 

Nor should they. They only get it wrong. 

Yep. Trying to force police to be social workers was based on keeping taxes low. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Oh and that massive change to land use negotiation. 

*crickets*

There's not much to complain about right now so there's not much discussion. Eby + Sim have been good. Only issue i remember is that Stanley park bike lane so far. 

8 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

There's not much to complain about right now so there's not much discussion. Eby + Sim have been good. Only issue i remember is that Stanley park bike lane so far. 

There's a lot to discuss about the BC ndp, it won't happen on this board tho. 

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

There's a lot to discuss about the BC ndp, it won't happen on this board tho. 

I think you're open to discuss pretty much anything on here that's not hate speech.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think you're open to discuss pretty much anything on here that's not hate speech.

true, but I've tried starting conversations many times over the years looking at NDP politics, its a lead balloon on here. Meaningful criticism of the BC NDP just isn't a thing on these boards.