B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

That's highly disingenuous. They've done more for health care in the last ~5 years than the last 4 governments combined.

I look forward to you proving this statement. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

They made vast and sweeping changes in regards to housing as well. Neither of those things are going to make 180 degree turns in the time frames we're dealing with here.

they've had 7 years agent, and market housing is worse now than when they took over. Sorry if you don't like that fact, but it is a fact. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Drug crisis fumble? Sure. The real problem is not having the other pieces in place (support facilities, mental health, staffing etc) to support decriminalization (which is still the right thing to do). They also did what good governments do and adjusted on the fly when what they tried wasn't working, rather than doubling down on ideology.

hey you're happy with them and thats great. Many others aren't and don't view it quite as rosy as you appear to. 

I still think the NDP squeaks out a very small majority, so at least they'll be getting a wake up call on some issues. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I look forward to you proving this statement. 

https://www.bcndp.ca/latest/six-ways-we-made-our-healthcare-system-stronger-people-year

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

they've had 7 years agent, and market housing is worse now than when they took over. Sorry if you don't like that fact, but it is a fact. 

There might be one or two outside forces at work here...but yeah NDP failure 🙄 How long have their bylaw and AirBNB changes been in effect?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

thats nice, but you said more than the last 4 government combined. That doesn't even come close to meeting that bar. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

There might be one or two outside forces at work here...but yeah NDP failure 🙄 How long have their bylaw and AirBNB changes been in effect?

hey they were laying the blame on Clark's gov't when Horgan won. The market side isn't any better now than then. What happened, they said they could fix it? 

Oh right, they are just as full of shit as the rest of them.

Like I said, I doubt the NDP is actually in danger of losing. They will lose seats for sure, and I'm glad Eby is going to get a shot to the nads to hopefully wake him up on things like market housing and public safety. Maybe stop buying votes with $100 ICBC rebates and build a new Riverview. 

• ThereItIs 1

This is why the BCC has traction:https://angusreid.org/bc-election-bc-liberals-united-conservatives-ndp-eby-rustad-falcon-furstenau/

Only 16% of people think we're on the right track with market housing. Only 30% think we're on the right track with primary care. Only 13% on the drug crisis. 

This isn't about personal like or dislike, the NDP don't have a great track record on these issues. 

The 60 year old Queen of New Westminster will be out of service for about 6 months:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/repair-work-will-keep-60-year-old-ferry-out-of-service-for-half-a-year-bc-ferries/ar-AA1qb3aK?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b334227bebb54a19b63e50d55fe8d89f&ei=7#comments

"

ICTORIA — The company operating British Columbia's ferries says divers have recovered a propeller that fell off one of its vessels and triggered an oil spill earlier this week, but notes it will take six months to complete the needed repairs.

A statement from BC Ferries says the propeller from the 60 year-old Queen of New Westminster -- which weighs about 4,500 kilograms -- was pulled from the seabed Saturday morning after two days of recovery work.

Officials took the ferry out of service earlier this week after discovering the starboard propeller had "sheared off from its propulsion shaft."

The incident also saw about 800 litres of light hydraulic oil spilled into surrounding waters, though BC Ferries says the type of oil leaked "disperses quickly in the marine environment" and no oil sheens have been detected.

The company says a preliminary visual inspection suggests the propeller shaft may have fractured due to structural fatigue, and the repairs are expected to be significant and involve completely disassembling port and starboard propeller systems.

It estimates the full repair could take half a year, noting the work will also depend on global parts availability and manufacturing timelines.

Meanwhile, all of the vessel's sailings up to Sept. 30 have been cancelled, and BC Ferries says it's looking at ways to add additional trips on other boats.

-----------

mal

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2024 at 3:50 PM, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Cookie cutter houses from the 50's. My current street has all houses built in the 50's and there are 3 basic designs as well as mirrored floor plans. Craziest thing, the house I own now in delta is the exact same floor plan as the house I grew up in in Burnaby except everything is reversed. Sears used to sell house kits in the 30's and 40's too. 

Here's a page from Eaton's 1916 catalogue. Estimated cost for the house was $733.00, another $88 for heating system and another $140 for plumbing, including a 30 gallon hot water tank. So the $961 total cost would be equivalent to about $28,000 today. Still pretty cheap, although, average salaries for common working people in 1916 (USA) ranged from $700 to $900 per YEAR, $1500 to $2500 for management. 

image.png.057521d4cf8718bc9b07dba9f5619898.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Here's a page from Eaton's 1916 catalogue. Estimated cost for the house was $733.00, another $88 for heating system and another $140 for plumbing, including a 30 gallon hot water tank. So the $961 total cost would be equivalent to about $28,000 today. Still pretty cheap, although, average salaries for common working people in 1916 (USA) ranged from $700 to $900 per YEAR, $1500 to $2500 for management. 

image.png.057521d4cf8718bc9b07dba9f5619898.png

My grandfather ordered a house like this in 1935. Shipped to the Kootenays by train. If my memory serves it was $1200 and building it was another $1200. It was a small house. Kitchen, dining room, living room and 3 bedrooms. No basement and single floor. A lot of fond memories of the time spent there.

• Cheers 1

Here's something good.  In BC on major roads and highways, you'll be approximately 150 KM or less from a public EV charging station.  We're just over halfway to the 2030 target of 10,000 public charging stations in the province.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2024EMLI0062-001447

Completion of Electric Highway makes EV travel possible throughout province

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/6/2024 at 11:10 PM, aGENT said:

Public polling on people's "feels" proves what....? This is the same argument that you yourself have countered when people attack what people feel the federal Liberals have/haven't done. And your doing it without a hint of irony 😂

They've added doctors and nurses. They've opened schools to train more of them. They made HUGE changes to zoning and AirBNB. They've made purchases for public housing.

They're actually doing things to try to help the electorate. Is it "enough" under the onslaught of external forces they can't control? Guess not. But it's a damn sight better than the competition would have done, I'll tell you that for free. Things could/would be a lot worse. They've frequently been ranked as one of the best provincial governments on numerous metrics. But people "feel" like things are headed in the wrong direction. Next you're going to tell me BC is "broken". Give me a break Bob.

Like I said before though, none of this matter if the public perception is low. It means it WILL harm the NDP this coming election whether it's actually moving in the right direction or not. Timeliness is a big part of it and that's often the problem with slow-moving solutions.

So to answer your question, it proves that people are discontent with the slow speed at which it's moving and this shouldn't be discounted by just saying "so what?" when it's these people's votes that are going to get a party potentially re-elected. It's almost like saying "so what" as you lose your job. lol

Edited by The Lock

57 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Like I said before though, none of this matter if the public perception is low. It means it WILL harm the NDP this coming election whether it's actually moving in the right direction or not. Timeliness is a big part of it and that's often the problem with slow-moving solutions.

So to answer your question, it proves that people are discontent with the slow speed at which it's moving and this shouldn't be discounted by just saying "so what?" when it's these people's votes that are going to get a party potentially re-elected. It's almost like saying "so what" as you lose your job. lol

Not really. It's more like asking why people are so ignorant and impatient wile pointing out the hypocrisy of Bob's tact here vs the federal thread.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not really. It's more like asking why people are so ignorant and impatient wile pointing out the hypocrisy of Bob's tact here vs the federal thread.

Because most people don't care about politics agent. It would be nice if they did, but they don't. Not caring and suddenly having to vote means they will just look at the here and now and that's it.

I also think that, because of this, people who talk about politics all day fail to realise this and then wonder why words about policies instead of simple messaging just make these people's eyes glaze over.

Edited by The Lock

I think the NDP have earned another term and I will certainly be voting NDP in October in the Cowichan Valley. Not a fan of the current PM, Ebby, But I was a big fan of John Horgan. I love our new Hospital being built now. The old one, I was born inside of in 1973, lol. Time for an upgrade.

I was against the decriminalization move as I forecast the results correctly, but in fairness, we didn't know what the experiment would provide in data. When the data was in, they changed the approach. I support the scientific method. Blind ideology sucks. Data driven policy rocks. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Because most people don't care about politics agent. It would be nice if they did, but they don't. Not caring and suddenly having to vote means they will just look at the here and now and that's it.

I also think that, because of this, people who talk about politics all day fail to realise this and then wonder why words about policies instead of simple messaging just make these people's eyes glaze over.

this-is-why-ac92bff2f4.jpg

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

What we need isn't decriminalization - it's legalization of hard substances. Take the power away from the drug dealers and let a prescription model rule. If people want fentanyl, let them have clean fentanyl. Criminalizing people for putting things in their own bodies is senseless and archaic.

I'd respect conservatives more if they simply admitted that they don't care about drug users. We saw Falcon - and we're seeing the Conservatives - use rhetoric which advocates for 'treatment' and 'help for people suffering substance addiction' over 'free drug paraphernalia, etc.', but at the end of the day, they have hatred in their hearts for anyone who uses. They're not going to do anything to fix the problem; they wouldn't move a finger for the substance-using population. They're not going to put a dime toward treatment and recovery centres. I really don't like drug users either, but I'm not going to pretend I do like those running for power in this case. They just want those living in, say, the DTES out of sight and out of mind - in jail for having a habit. It's dumb.

The smart thing to do is let doctors prescribe addicts their drug of choice. I don't think people get that a LOT of the health issues associated with drug abuse are from adulterants in the street supply. Yeah, there's no such thing as a healthy meth habit, but people who use are going to be in much better shape if what they're taking is produced in a lab under and according to rigid pharmaceutical standards. The 'mental health' of the drug-using population would actually improve and improve more over time if there were some system in place whereby they could access a safe supply of their chosen substance. Users wouldn't be committing theft and property crime trying to make a buck for their next fix, and gangs would lose a large amount of influence. Overdoses would become less frequent and the burden on the emergency care system would be somewhat alleviated.

Literally nationalize the hard drug industry.

Edited by 112
  • Cheers 1

On 9/5/2024 at 3:44 PM, bishopshodan said:

Reminds me of the Vancouver Specials. 

The block I grew up on in Richmond. There was basically 3 styles of 3 bedroom ranchers. What is hilarious is some of the homes have been moved and shipped over into the Gulf Islands. It ticks my sister off there's one near where she is on Mayne. She was never happy with the house we grew up in. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/8/2024 at 4:16 PM, Optimist Prime said:

I think the NDP have earned another term and I will certainly be voting NDP in October in the Cowichan Valley. Not a fan of the current PM, Ebby, But I was a big fan of John Horgan. I love our new Hospital being built now. The old one, I was born inside of in 1973, lol. Time for an upgrade.

I was against the decriminalization move as I forecast the results correctly, but in fairness, we didn't know what the experiment would provide in data. When the data was in, they changed the approach. I support the scientific method. Blind ideology sucks. Data driven policy rocks. 

Things like decriminalization or legalizing hard drugs would only potentially work if the whole country did it at one time.

If it's just a province or two, people with addiction issues just flock in from the other provinces and make things worse. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yay....coal....? :classic_unsure:

Better than seeing a ghost town. Some areas up here in Northern BC really need a boost in jobs.

But it's funny you mention it like that while asking why people vote Conservative. Maybe it's because they feel abandoned when they don't have jobs anymore in certain towns in the north. There's at least a very different mentality up here than in Vancouver and often a sense of "Vancouverites have no clue about the north".

I remember once when Victoria was going to pass legislation that all students within a certain radius of a school can't take a bus. That would work in Vancouver and Victoria... but it would have left kids walking along a busy road up here... with no sidewalks and a normal speed limit. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So my family have been mostly voting for the BC Liberals for decades at this point. My mother made a good point today that could be interesting to watch.

With BC United dropping out, anyone who doesn't fundamentally agree with the Conservative agenda won't have much choice but to vote NDP, which may include my family. This may be the 1st time my family of decades of voting BC Liberals votes NDP.

Which raises the question: if my family is thinking this way, how many other voters in the north are thinking this way that we don't know about? And this is something polling might not be able to account for.

Edited by The Lock