B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

27 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Better than seeing a ghost town. Some areas up here in Northern BC really need a boost in jobs.

But it's funny you mention it like that while asking why people vote Conservative. Maybe it's because they feel abandoned when they don't have jobs anymore in certain towns in the north. There's at least a very different mentality up here than in Vancouver and often a sense of "Vancouverites have no clue about the north".

I remember once when Victoria was going to pass legislation that all students within a certain radius of a school can't take a bus. That would work in Vancouver and Victoria... but it would have left kids walking along a busy road up here... with no sidewalks and a normal speed limit. lol

Jobs are great. Just be nice if they weren't from two centuries ago and one of the worst substances leading to climate change that's costing us billions of dollars...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Jobs are great. Just be nice if they weren't from two centuries ago and one of the worst substances leading to climate change that's costing us billions of dollars...

We need steel still.  It's not like we're using it in power plants.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just to contrast the Rustad/Peterson interview with brilliant takes like: 

“It’s a sad reality, but how is it that we’ve convinced carbon-based beings that carbon is a problem?” Rustad says at one point.

Here's some antidote 😂

48 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Better than seeing a ghost town. Some areas up here in Northern BC really need a boost in jobs.

But it's funny you mention it like that while asking why people vote Conservative. Maybe it's because they feel abandoned when they don't have jobs anymore in certain towns in the north. There's at least a very different mentality up here than in Vancouver and often a sense of "Vancouverites have no clue about the north".

I remember once when Victoria was going to pass legislation that all students within a certain radius of a school can't take a bus. That would work in Vancouver and Victoria... but it would have left kids walking along a busy road up here... with no sidewalks and a normal speed limit. lol

Tumbler Ridge is one of the true gems of the North and would be a highly desirable place to live for any outdoor adventure enthusiasts if it had the right employment opportunities.

The town layout has been studied from communities around the world because it is so walkable and a cyclist’s dream with its countless paths and trails. It is the only UNESCO Global geopark in western North America. Recent dinosaur fossils and tracks that you can see and touch in the very places they were found. It is considered the waterfall capital of the North, with Kinuseo Falls being my favourite. Actually larger than Niagara.

The Quintette Mine is a ways out of town down a long gravel road full of nothing until you come across this huge fairly modern complex. Teck had sold it to Conuma when we were there and the town was full of happy excited rumours that it might be re-opening. I can tell you personally that to say we don’t relate very well to small towns around the province is a massive understatement.

• Upvote 1

24 years without that mine being profitable, just as BC Rail forecast.

But a government told them to put a line into the mine.

So they did.

Then the mine closed, and a government forced B.C. Rail to write of the whole fiscal loss in 1 year, rather than over multiple years.

Then they 'leased/sold' all the rolling stock and railbeds- because B.C. Rail didn't make money that year.

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2010/05/24/LibsBCRailSale/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

24 years without that mine being profitable, just as BC Rail forecast.

But a government told them to put a line into the mine.

So they did.

Then the mine closed, and a government forced B.C. Rail to write of the whole fiscal loss in 1 year, rather than over multiple years.

Then they 'leased/sold' all the rolling stock and railbeds- because B.C. Rail didn't make money that year.

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2010/05/24/LibsBCRailSale/

I’m not sure what you’re saying here “24 years without the mine being profitable”?

Quintette was profitable for Teck Resources for the better part of the 18 years that they owned it until they shuttered it and put it into “care and maintenance mode” after 3 months of low commodity prices. It has been idle for 23 years until they sold it to Conuma for $120M.

The BC Rail sale by Campbell, McPhail et al is a disgrace.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not sure what you’re saying here “24 years without the mine being profitable”?

Quintette was profitable for Teck Resources for the better part of the 18 years that they owned it until they shuttered it and put it into “care and maintenance mode” after 3 months of low commodity prices. It has been idle for 23 years until they sold it to Conuma for $120M.

The BC Rail sale by Campbell, McPhail et al is a disgrace.

Gee- that's even worse than I thought.

Some fucking company decided to put all those folk out of work-even though they were making money, or would have after that 3 month downturn?

I'm starting to really wonder if the government should just take these things over- or force the sale to companies that will put people to work.

• Cheers 1

She's doing this for psychiatric help. Sad stuff.

Woman sentenced for repeat fake gun robbery at same Nanaimo gas bar

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2024/09/10/woman-sentenced-for-repeat-fake-gun-robbery-at-same-nanaimo-gas-bar/

NANAIMO — A sentencing hearing outlined the extreme actions a woman took to get off the streets and receive mental health support which she said weren’t available in the community.

• Upvote 2

So NDP  spend and steal from bcers with a carbon tax now they’ll do what they do lie and say they’ll get rid of it but like all they’re promises once elected “oh actually we can’t”

to many lies and failures to count. 

Can’t say I like any choice for BC 

but the NDP are the jim Benning of politics lies failures and excuses.

Basically for me  its someone else’s turn to steal from me.  

• Haha 1

B.C. family doctors call for sick days, pensions ahead of October election

The BC College of Family Physicians and BC Family Doctors published a series of requests for whichever party forms the next government after the Oct. 19 provincial election, including a call for access to basic employment standards and benefits like other health-care workers.

B.C. signs national pharmacare deal with Ottawa, promises to expand drug coverage

VANCOUVER — British Columbia has become the first province in Canada to sign a pharmacare agreement with the federal government that would help the province fund hormone replacement therapy and diabetes expenses.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/9/2024 at 9:00 PM, King Heffy said:

We need steel still.  It's not like we're using it in power plants.

I would also like to add that it's being made somewhere not here. Usually overseas. At another great cost to the environment then sold back to us when we could possibly make it here and give us jobs

Edited by BabyCakes
poor graammer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Combover said:

So NDP  spend and steal from bcers with a carbon tax now they’ll do what they do lie and say they’ll get rid of it but like all they’re promises once elected “oh actually we can’t”

It was pretty weird of Eby to say this. The internal NDP polling must be scaring the shit out of him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Combover said:

Does that make the current Cons Mike Gillis?🤪

11 hours ago, Combover said:

Bang on! We have been told for how many years that the 'carbon tax' is revenue neutral. lol  At one point while defending the carbon tax the NDP were asking how Rustad would replace the $4.5 billion in revenue that the carbon tax pays into the BC government? Now faced with an election and their deteriorating polls the NDP are pulling back on a lot of their 'progressive' policies. Most BC'ers have basic issues on the cost of living and the serious lack of health care. The NDP deserve to lose the election on those 2 issues. Can Rustad do better? I don't know but I doubt he can do worse.  

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Bang on! We have been told for how many years that the 'carbon tax' is revenue neutral. lol  At one point while defending the carbon tax the NDP were asking how Rustad would replace the $4.5 billion in revenue that the carbon tax pays into the BC government? Now faced with an election and their deteriorating polls the NDP are pulling back on a lot of their 'progressive' policies. Most BC'ers have basic issues on the cost of living and the serious lack of health care. The NDP deserve to lose the election on those 2 issues. Can Rustad do better? I don't know but I doubt he can do worse.  

The federal carbon tax is revenue neutral. Those discussions were around PP cancelling it federally. Nobody has suggested the BC one is. 

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Another interesting question is, if the BC carbon tax was so bad (it being liberal policy initially) why didn't the NDP scrap it 7 years ago? Trudeau didn't bring the fed one in until two years later.

Eby must be getting nervous.

12 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

B.C. family doctors call for sick days, pensions ahead of October election

The BC College of Family Physicians and BC Family Doctors published a series of requests for whichever party forms the next government after the Oct. 19 provincial election, including a call for access to basic employment standards and benefits like other health-care workers.

Interesting idea, it has to be done via private insurance vs the govt paying but it could really help with retention.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Another interesting question is, if the BC carbon tax was so bad (it being liberal policy initially) why didn't the NDP scrap it 7 years ago? Trudeau didn't bring the fed one in until two years later.

Eby must be getting nervous.

The NDP didn't scrap and the BC Liberals were all for it because of the cash it gave them. Cloak it in environmentalism instead of simply increasing the BC Road Tax. Now, as the election looms, the polls are not good for the NDP and they are back tracking.  

• ThereItIs 1