B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

To bad that the BC NDP is the only real option.

Sucks that we are a two horse race in our province. 

Not sad at all. There is a 2 horse race for a reason. The Greens have polled 10% and the BC United were at 33% at one time. The Greens economics are voodoo and the BC United were the party that let orgainized crime into the province. Their party deserves to die. The world is ending Greens have had their day as well. 

The NDP have abdicated their responsibility to govern to the feds and the United Nations. I think they will pay the price in defeat. Rustad and the BCC will likely win and the people will not have a clear idea of how they will move forward. People will vote BCC for change as they look at their cost of living and the social decay they can see each day in the streets. My hope is that Eby and Rustad will debate with only them on stage. No Greens or BC United. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Not sad at all. There is a 2 horse race for a reason. The Greens have polled 10% and the BC United were at 33% at one time. The Greens economics are voodoo and the BC United were the party that let orgainized crime into the province. Their party deserves to die. The world is ending Greens have had their day as well. 

The NDP have abdicated their responsibility to govern to the feds and the United Nations. I think they will pay the price in defeat. Rustad and the BCC will likely win and the people will not have a clear idea of how they will move forward. People will vote BCC for change as they look at their cost of living and the social decay they can see each day in the streets. My hope is that Eby and Rustad will debate with only them on stage. No Greens or BC United. 

You're really underestimating the damage the lunatics running the BC Cons are planning to do.  We need a sane alternative, not subhuman vermin like Rustad who wants to copy Smith's nazification of Alberta.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Until the next round of polling comes out and is definitive, I do.still think the NDP gets a small majority. The good thing is it should wake Eby up a bit that the NDP are not doing a good enough job on several files. 

The NDP loves to act like it has the moral high ground but that doesn't excuse poor performance.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Oh i'm not saying I want the old horses back in the race.

I have a different opinion of the BCNDP than you I think, but still I would love to see a new option as I am not going to vote Cons. Where are the centrist parties? i really believe that there is a sleeping middle out there, and I think it is quite large. 

Totally agree with you about BC United. 

I would like to see that Eby/Rustad debate too. 

9 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘Put it down in writing’ – Eby says housing specifics needed from Rustad

Voters deserve details of competing housing plans, says BC NDP leader

I'd like some of this from Eby too. 

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘Put it down in writing’ – Eby says housing specifics needed from Rustad

Voters deserve details of competing housing plans, says BC NDP leader

I dont know if I am against Eby's authoritarian approach as unfortunately it seems local nimby municipalities need that.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Good explanation on Ebys carbon tax flip flop: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/2008-ndp-axe-the-tax-carbon-tax-david-eby-1.7323422

It's funny what a close race will do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is not Ebys carbon tax to begin with.  Is it not the BC Liberal/Conservatives?

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It is, but the NDP chose to keep it, and defend it, up to this week.

It's just a funny example of politics.

It's a discussion around federal policy potential changing. He's merely stating what they'd plan to do should that come to pass. Everybody needs to stop looking for "gotcha's"...it's tiresome anathema to actual discussion.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's a discussion around federal policy potential changing. He's merely stating what they'd plan to do should that come to pass.

That was my reading as well.  If the Federal government ends the federal carbon tax, BC would end its provincial carbon tax.

• Cheers 1

Isn't the carbon tax, a tax were, if the Province doesn't collect and use the money on environmental issues; the feds will collect the money and spend it on environmental issues?

So the feds might change their mind and stop  collecting the tax, and the province is just saying 'we won't collect the tax, which we were only collecting so as to keep the money, here in B.C. doing B.C.. things?

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Good explanation on Ebys carbon tax flip flop: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/2008-ndp-axe-the-tax-carbon-tax-david-eby-1.7323422

It's funny what a close race will do.

I'm one of the very few people who are pro Carbon Tax, so I am actually disappointed by this. Just not disappointed enough to vote Conservative...

Besides....wouldn't this just make us subject to the Federal system anyway?:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm one of the very few people who are pro Carbon Tax, so I am actually disappointed by this. Just not disappointed enough to vote Conservative...

Besides....wouldn't this just make us subject to the Federal system anyway?:classic_unsure:

The entire premise is Eby's plans if the Cons get in power federally and "axe the tax" (federally). If that happens, the NDP plan to tax carbon producers/industry (that will get passed down to the consumer) as they originally campaigned on, rather than consumers directly (which is more based on the current federal requirements). I'm really not sure what functional difference that will actually make to consumers, but that's the gist of it. We'll still have some sort of "carbon tax" (which I agree is a good thing).

The "story" is really, largely a nothingburger.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

B.C. to expand involuntary care for those with addiction issues

Premier David Eby made a public safety pitch Sunday, announcing mental health units at correctional facilities

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-involuntary-care-addiction-1.7324079

Finally!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

44 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It would, but up until the BCC got popular our made in BC system was fine. Which we can keep btw, nothing PP does has to change that, we had it long before Trudeau.

• Cheers 1

On 9/9/2024 at 9:16 PM, aGENT said:

Yeah, I get it... it's just not...great

I understand your sentiment.

Keep in mind though what an ideal world really is. An ideal world would involve no hydro dams flooding ecosystems, no quarries being built destroying the landscape, no clearcutting needed to get wood, no coal or other plants polluting the air, enough trees being maintained to combat global warming, etc.

Yet, as a society, this is the situation we've put ourselves into. We need wood, steel, electricity, resources, etc. And each one of those resources comes at a cost. It's unfortunate but, even this very conversation we are having which involves some of these resources to achieve (ie. electricity, silicon, etc), it harms the environment in some way.

Simply put, ideals are great and I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't strive for them; however, at the same time, that ideal world will never exist. The Earth also won't care. This ideology only comes from us.

(Now if you'll excuse me, I feel I should go write a book on philosophy after this post)

Edited by The Lock
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I understand your sentiment.

Keep in mind though what an ideal world really is. An ideal world would involve no hydro dams flooding ecosystems, no quarries being built destroying the landscape, no clearcutting needed to get wood, no coal or other plants polluting the air, enough trees being maintained to combat global warming, etc.

Yet, as a society, this is the situation we've put ourselves into. We need wood, steel, electricity, resources, etc. And each one of those resources comes at a cost. It's unfortunate but, even this very conversation we are having which involves some of these resources to achieve (ie. electricity, silicon, etc), it harms the environment in some way.

Simply put, ideals are great and I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't strive for them; however, at the same time, that ideal world will never exist. The Earth also won't care. This ideology only comes from us.

(Now if you'll excuse me, I feel I should go write a book on philosophy after this post)

....and change your name to Mahatma....:classic_cool:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Yet, as a society, this is the situation we've put ourselves into. We need wood, steel, electricity, resources, etc. 

Which is actually an amazing place. Life is better than its ever been, for more people than ever. That's not aspiration, that's fact.

Yes we have problems. Yes we can solve them.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Simply put, ideals are great and I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't strive for them; however, at the same time, that ideal world will never exist. The Earth also won't care. This ideology only comes from us

Mother earth is indifferent, she's kind of a bitch that way.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Which is actually an amazing place. Life is better than its ever been, for more people than ever. That's not aspiration, that's fact.

Yes we have problems. Yes we can solve them

That is certainly a take on it. I guess it really depends on where one's motivations are. At the end of the day, we're all a bunch of human beings with different ideas. Some are going to be more inclined to think toward us being the dominant species while others are going to be more sympathetic to the imminent destruction caused by the former idea.

Aren't grey areas great? 😉

Edited by The Lock

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That is certainly a take on it. I guess it really depends on where one's motivations are. At the end of the day, we're all a bunch of human beings with different ideas. Some are going to be more inclined to think toward us being the dominant species while others are going to be more sympathetic to the imminent destruction caused by the former idea.

Aren't grey areas great? 😉

Well the part about quality of life is true, it is better than its ever been for most people. 

I really like this site, puts a lot of the existential stuff in some perspective: https://www.gapminder.org/

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Well the part about quality of life is true, it is better than its ever been for most people. 

I really like this site, puts a lot of the existential stuff in some perspective: https://www.gapminder.org/

Agreed. I know I'm not the most active person on here, but I enjoy my time here when I am active.

I also feel like I've evolved quite a bit over the years. Even if no one else has noticed changes in me, I certainly have. I can only hope for the better obviously. lol

(lol I just realized you meant the website you linked. I'm just going to keep my comments about this forum here anyway)

Edited by The Lock
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Agreed. I know I'm not the most active person on here, but I enjoy my time here when I am active.

I also feel like I've evolved quite a bit over the years. Even if no one else has noticed changes in me, I certainly have. I can only hope for the better obviously. lol

(lol I just realized you meant the website you linked. I'm just going to keep my comments about this forum here anyway)

Why not both? 

• Cheers 1