B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/09/23/bc-leaders-election-campaigning/

So Cons promising up to 3k BC tax exemption per month for renters or home buyers making 250k a year or less ..... Estimate cost of 3.5 billion a year.   Maybe he could double property tax in owners to pay for it lol

He might as well promise to pave the streets in gold .... Feel good promise that would need massive tax increases or cuts to fund 

The poorest renters already don't pay much if any taxes so this isn't about helping those homeless .....  

One item the NDP have promised is HUGE .... They will ban employers from requesting routine proof of illness notes for work. The UK did this a few years ago under the former conservative government and even Ford is working on this in Ontario.  Will free up tens of thousands of medical appointments for people needing them 

I'm actually surprised this isn't something PP or any other con premier or premier wannabe isn't jumping on 

Edited by Sapper
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So in essence, Rustad is promising to subsidize rental housing?

Are...we fucking serious?  Instead of tackling the problem of financialized landlords and massive holdings by companies skewing the entire rental market we're going to SUBSIDIZE people who can not afford these usurious prices if they make less than $250k a year?  Essentially green lighting these financialized landlords to further increaes prices because it is "what the market will bare"

This is insane....like absolutely positively insane.

Saw seniors posting up how this will save them thousands each month renting ..... He has them conned and is banking on their niavity 

It's saving the BC tax portion of up to the first 3k of your declared income

Many BC seniors are at the threshold income wise of not paying much taxes already ( income tax not sales.tax )

So the savings will be minor for those needing it most.  For renters making decent income the new rent will be set at ..... You guessed it 3k per month

With mortgage payments becoming tax deductible up to 3k it will further increase demand driving prices up 

So in the end only landlords and developers gonna make bank with this plan 

23 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Saw seniors posting up how this will save them thousands each month renting ..... He has them conned and is banking on their niavity 

It's saving the BC tax portion of up to the first 3k of your declared income

Many BC seniors are at the threshold income wise of not paying much taxes already ( income tax not sales.tax )

So the savings will be minor for those needing it most.  For renters making decent income the new rent will be set at ..... You guessed it 3k per month

With mortgage payments becoming tax deductible up to 3k it will further increase demand driving prices up 

So in the end only landlords and developers gonna make bank with this plan 

It's actually not different than the plans and "assistance" they got from Campbell and the libs in the early to late 2000s when you look at it.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

Years ago when I was involved in the Canadian health coalition ( just a supporter not actual part of them ) I went to the Harper and Gordo round tables on health

I made a couple of suggestions that got smugly brushed off. 

I said we need to adopt some of the USA and Canadian Military medical field treatment methods. If anyone can squeeze a nickle from a penny it's the Canadian Military 

Both militaries have mobile.mri trucks among other major diagnostic type trucks. Can be moved very quickly and as often as needed.  Imagine if an MRI truck was in remote towns and cities a couple days per month ? No more travel to the big city needed. Reduced wait times and earlier diagnosis.

Now imagine converting a few busses to chemo and l dialysis traveling clinics. Again places like Merritt getting weekly visits as needed so patients get their care at home close to their supports.

Europe has this .... I don't know the costs but this is one area that if private was cheaper it may make sense so long as it doesn't steal needed staff from other sites 

And one big complaint of doctors in rural bc is the inability to work in their specialty as the local hospital doesn't have the service. This may be very helpful in keeping rural doctors 

Second .... Have a mobile mash type ER. Just the staff not equipment. Yes we will need to pay more for them but imagine 20 or so ER nurses and 5 to 10 Er doctors all able to work in any BC hospital being paid enough that they would take the job knowing that every weekend they would be deployed to a BC emerg as needed 

Local hospitals would only need to block off enough beds for them to sleep and they can be fed from the in house cafeterias so really could be deployed on very short notice.

I'd image it would cost a fair bit in premium wages but this may be very attractive  to new doctors that love mobility and new adventures. .. kinda try all communities before you pick one to settle

There are solutions and in some limited areas private may be key.

For the most part thought I am strongly in favour of public over for profit in health 

this is great stuff. I really like the idea of more mobile diagnostics.

For me, as long as it remains "single payer" if those trucks were private or public its OK, the important part is that people get access imo.

I think healthcare is going to get really challenged by politicians wanting more private care, imagine e.g., that we get PP and Rustad at the same time....

It's why I've been arguing that the NDP and its supporters need to get more critical of the health file, it needs good ideas like yours to keep the potentially harmful stuff out of our system. We can't just say "oh but its not the liberals" because that just won't cut it anymore imo.

Thanks for a good discussion btw. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/09/23/bc-leaders-election-campaigning/

So Cons promising up to 3k BC tax exemption per month for renters or home buyers making 250k a year or less ..... Estimate cost of 3.5 billion a year.   Maybe he could double property tax in owners to pay for it lol

He might as well promise to pave the streets in gold .... Feel good promise that would need massive tax increases or cuts to fund 

The poorest renters already don't pay much if any taxes so this isn't about helping those homeless .....  

One item the NDP have promised is HUGE .... They will ban employers from requesting routine proof of illness notes for work. The UK did this a few years ago under the former conservative government and even Ford is working on this in Ontario.  Will free up tens of thousands of medical appointments for people needing them 

I'm actually surprised this isn't something PP or any other con premier or premier wannabe isn't jumping on 

very curious how this will work - have they been working with the College on this one? haven't seen any news on this idea anywhere else. 

Eby also shared that if elected, the NDP will provide “immediate provincial licences” for health-care workers who have been trained in Canada. Those who have been trained in comparable global regions will receive the same licences within six weeks, he added.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

very curious how this will work - have they been working with the College on this one? haven't seen any news on this idea anywhere else. 

Eby also shared that if elected, the NDP will provide “immediate provincial licences” for health-care workers who have been trained in Canada. Those who have been trained in comparable global regions will receive the same licences within six weeks, he added.

For care aides to get on the registry in BC if out of province but still Canadian trained there is a slight delay getting on the registry as the care aide registry verifies the course taken is comparable. It's easy to pre approve anyone passing from a Canadian approved course gets instant approval 

For LPN and RN's they could easily change the rules to permit any nurse registered in another canadian province or graduating from a licensed course / university .. a provisional license to be able to start work immediately in BC in long term care or medical units.

For nurses some work areas like ICU , ER or the OR/recovery are a bit more complex and would take a deeper dive into credentials but a qualified Nurse could be put to work on the spot on medical units and care homes 

This would in fact require government to change as none of the three bodies have that ability to make such changes on their own 

People have been calling for this for years and the NDP should have done it long ago 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Sapper said:

For care aides to get on the registry in BC if out of province but still Canadian trained there is a slight delay getting on the registry as the care aide registry verifies the course taken is comparable. It's easy to pre approve anyone passing from a Canadian approved course gets instant approval 

For LPN and RN's they could easily change the rules to permit any nurse registered in another canadian province or graduating from a licensed course / university .. a provisional license to be able to start work immediately in BC in long term care or medical units.

For nurses some work areas like ICU , ER or the OR/recovery are a bit more complex and would take a deeper dive into credentials but a qualified Nurse could be put to work on the spot on medical units and care homes 

This would in fact require government to change as none of the three bodies have that ability to make such changes on their own 

People have been calling for this for years and the NDP should have done it long ago 

yea this really caught my eye, I just checked the college and no news on there. I wonder if this has been cooking in the background for a while? good news if its true. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/video-shows-rustad-saying-he-regrets-getting-so-called-covid-vaccine/ar-AA1r4bYn?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=8978414cdac34e3faa894eb7a49ee60b&ei=39

"NDP Leader David Eby comments on a video of B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad saying he regrets getting the "so-called vaccine" against COVID-19, while criticizing provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. Rustad says what bothered him the most is that Henry would not let unvaccinated nurses and doctors back into the system. (Sep. 23, 2024) 

• Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 2

13 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/video-shows-rustad-saying-he-regrets-getting-so-called-covid-vaccine/ar-AA1r4bYn?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=8978414cdac34e3faa894eb7a49ee60b&ei=39

"NDP Leader David Eby comments on a video of B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad saying he regrets getting the "so-called vaccine" against COVID-19, while criticizing provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. Rustad says what bothered him the most is that Henry would not let unvaccinated nurses and doctors back into the system. (Sep. 23, 2024) 

My number one reason to never vote for any of that right wing coalition. If I go into any medical facility the entire staff had better be vaccinated against the flu, MMRA, Covid, you name it. You're a medical professional for Christ sakes. That, and how that former 'Liberal' gang raised medical premiums, when none of that money went into the Provincial Health portfolio.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Sapper said:

Years ago when I was involved in the Canadian health coalition ( just a supporter not actual part of them ) I went to the Harper and Gordo round tables on health

I made a couple of suggestions that got smugly brushed off. 

I said we need to adopt some of the USA and Canadian Military medical field treatment methods. If anyone can squeeze a nickle from a penny it's the Canadian Military 

Both militaries have mobile.mri trucks among other major diagnostic type trucks. Can be moved very quickly and as often as needed.  Imagine if an MRI truck was in remote towns and cities a couple days per month ? No more travel to the big city needed. Reduced wait times and earlier diagnosis.

Now imagine converting a few busses to chemo and l dialysis traveling clinics. Again places like Merritt getting weekly visits as needed so patients get their care at home close to their supports.

Europe has this .... I don't know the costs but this is one area that if private was cheaper it may make sense so long as it doesn't steal needed staff from other sites 

And one big complaint of doctors in rural bc is the inability to work in their specialty as the local hospital doesn't have the service. This may be very helpful in keeping rural doctors 

Second .... Have a mobile mash type ER. Just the staff not equipment. Yes we will need to pay more for them but imagine 20 or so ER nurses and 5 to 10 Er doctors all able to work in any BC hospital being paid enough that they would take the job knowing that every weekend they would be deployed to a BC emerg as needed 

Local hospitals would only need to block off enough beds for them to sleep and they can be fed from the in house cafeterias so really could be deployed on very short notice.

I'd image it would cost a fair bit in premium wages but this may be very attractive  to new doctors that love mobility and new adventures. .. kinda try all communities before you pick one to settle

There are solutions and in some limited areas private may be key.

For the most part thought I am strongly in favour of public over for profit in health 

Years ago there used to be mobile breast screening teams traveling throughout BC. Is this still a thing?

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Interesting to see the NDP actually widening the lead in seats even with the overall tie in popularity. 

https://338canada.com/bc/districts.htm

Some really tight battles on the island.

The island going conseravtive in any fashion would be an insane thing to see.  like pigs flying kind of insane

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Years ago there used to be mobile breast screening teams traveling throughout BC. Is this still a thing?

Yup, still a thing.  2 mobile vans now.  Great idea that allows screening exams to women living in remote areas who otherwise would have to travel a fair distance for this.

Just now, Warhippy said:

The island going conseravtive in any fashion would be an insane thing to see.  like pigs flying kind of insane

True, it is NDP heaven. 

But federally it does appear that a lot of the island likes Skippy, at least for now.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

True, it is NDP heaven. 

But federally it does appear that a lot of the island likes Skippy, at least for now.

It is all those oil rich Albertans retiring to the island. 

Just talking to an old friend who said her grandparents had to pay a fee to the BC government in the '20's when their family crossed the border at Sparwood. They had no cash so they were allowed to take their wagon to Fernie and have money transferred so they could pay at the government agents office in Fernie. 

Edited by Boudrias

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

This could actually be a thing 

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Just talking to an old friend who said her grandparents had to pay a fee to the BC government in the '20's when their family crossed the border at Sparwood. They had no cash so they were allowed to take their wagon to Fernie and have money transferred so they could pay at the government agents office in Fernie. 

They do call it "bring cash" for a reason 

• Haha 1

A look at B.C. health care promises ahead of Oct. 19 election day

Here's what the three major parties have promised.

Here are some of the health-related election promises from the three major parties:

B.C. New Democrats have promised to:

— Expand the conditions pharmacists can test and prescribe for to include more common illnesses such as strep throat, urinary tract infections and renal function.

— Getting more qualified medical professionals back to work by providing immediate provisional licences for doctors, nurses, and midwives trained in Canada, and offer the same licences in six weeks for professionals trained in some regions outside of the country.

— Reduce time-consuming paperwork for doctors.

— Add more physician assistants and expand the range of services they provide.

B.C. Conservatives have promised to:

— Offer care through both public and non-governmental facilities.

— Implement a "Wait Time Guarantee" that would arrange for care outside the province if services were not available in B.C. in a reasonable time.

— Expand programs to incentivize doctors and nurses to work in high-need communities.

— Improve reporting on administrative cost, savings and services and establish a mandate for transparent data

— Compensate health workers who lost their jobs for refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

— Repeal the Health Professions and Occupations Act, sweeping legislation that merges B.C.’s health regulatory colleges from 15 to 6 that has been criticized by groups, including doctors and nurses.

B.C. Greens have promised to:

— Establish a network of 93 community health centres across the province within the first year as part of what the party has called the "Dogwood model." They say the model streamlines complicated referrals and ensures comprehensive care all in one place.

— Lease and administer work space under the Dogwood model, allowing health-care professionals to focus on patient care.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

This could actually be a thing 

They do call it "bring cash" for a reason 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

There's a LOT of wealthy, white Boomers moving here from both Alberta and mainland BC (and the rest of the country but those are the biggies). So yeah, it's certainly not a forgone conclusion. Particularly in places like Parksville/Qualicum.

23 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

B.C. New Democrats have promised to:

— Getting more qualified medical professionals back to work by providing immediate provisional licences for doctors, nurses, and midwives trained in Canada, and offer the same licences in six weeks for professionals trained in some regions outside of the country.

B.C. Conservatives have promised to:

— Compensate health workers who lost their jobs for refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

— Repeal the Health Professions and Occupations Act, sweeping legislation that merges B.C.’s health regulatory colleges from 15 to 6 that has been criticized by groups, including doctors and nurses.

B.C. Greens have promised to:

— Establish a network of 93 community health centres across the province within the first year as part of what the party has called the "Dogwood model." They say the model streamlines complicated referrals and ensures comprehensive care all in one place.

— Lease and administer work space under the Dogwood model, allowing health-care professionals to focus on patient care.

These are the most problematic ones imo.

I like what the NDP is saying about speeding up the time to get licenses, but I'd really like to hear what the College of Physicians and Surgeons has to say about it and if it has their approval. If it does, then great.

The BCC is out to lunch on this stuff, it's the kind of thing that will limit their chance at power. The colleges perform a really vital function and we don't need it messed with.

The Green thing is interesting... I'd like to see more on that and how a patient would really journey through that kind of model.

9 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Interesting to see the NDP actually widening the lead in seats even with the overall tie in popularity. 

https://338canada.com/bc/districts.htm

Some really tight battles on the island.

There are 13 ridings that are toss ups, including Eby’s riding in Point Grey. 

Those 13 ridings will decide the election. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True dat but the orange guys have 8 more likely achievable seats.

It's going to be pretty tough for Rustad to overcome that, particularly if he continues to stick to his antivax nonsense. 

The BCC actually have some ideas worth considering but they turn people off with that other nonsense.

Edited by Bob Long

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Metro Vancouver won't go for social conservative thinking for the most part.  Fiscal conservativism yes.  But stuff like antivaxx is a nonstarter.  IMHO 

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Metro Vancouver won't go for social conservative thinking for the most part.  Fiscal conservativism yes.  But stuff like antivaxx is a nonstarter.  IMHO 

I think there are green voters out there po'd at the way the NDP treated them. In my riding eg it looks like the greens are dropping by 4 points and it's all going to the cons.

On 9/23/2024 at 3:13 PM, Warhippy said:

So in essence, Rustad is promising to subsidize rental housing?

Are...we fucking serious?  Instead of tackling the problem of financialized landlords and massive holdings by companies skewing the entire rental market we're going to SUBSIDIZE people who can not afford these usurious prices if they make less than $250k a year?  Essentially green lighting these financialized landlords to further increaes prices because it is "what the market will bare"

This is insane....like absolutely positively insane.

I'd love to know the mechanics.

I could use a tax deduction. Do I mortgage my house and go to Hawaii?