B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think there are green voters out there po'd at the way the NDP treated them. In my riding eg it looks like the greens are dropping by 4 points and it's all going to the cons.

Yeah the Greens self destructed federally as well from what I recall.  Junior was lucky again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think there are green voters out there po'd at the way the NDP treated them. In my riding eg it looks like the greens are dropping by 4 points and it's all going to the cons.

There was a time when the Greens talked a decent fiscal program. That has kinda drifted away. If it comes to strategic voting I would expect Greens to go NDP. 

I actually don't have a problem with progressive ideas if fiscal reality is part of the equation. There are lots of people who live in financial la la land on both sides of the political equation. Making hard choices based on financial realities is hard work. To many politicians take the easy way out because they pay no price for BS.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

There was a time when the Greens talked a decent fiscal program. That has kinda drifted away. If it comes to strategic voting I would expect Greens to go NDP. 

I actually don't have a problem with progressive ideas if fiscal reality is part of the equation. There are lots of people who live in financial la la land on both sides of the political equation. Making hard choices based on financial realities is hard work. To many politicians take the easy way out because they pay no price for BS.

Yep I'm all for the goodies too, just find a way to pay for them.

It's a bit scary when you see people state things like debt doesn't matter. 

The part that really gets me is when people expect business to carry it, and then they also make it harder to make money.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's a LOT of wealthy, white Boomers moving here from both Alberta and mainland BC (and the rest of the country but those are the biggies). So yeah, it's certainly not a forgone conclusion. Particularly in places like Parksville/Qualicum.

I drive this area daily, my hood.

I would say the lawn signs are about 60% Con.

The Con signs are way better looking. Some dude named FEE. You can see his name easily, very big font. The NDP is a lady named Higginson, cant read her name very well...

The riding is weird...it's 'Ladysmith-Oceanside ( parksville/qualicum/nanoose)'

Ladysmith has nothing to do with the Oceanside region....we kinda have large areas called Naniamo and Ladysmith between us. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Conservatives haven't been "fiscally conservative" in DECADES. Without that, I have zero idea what the attraction is to their platform.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I drive this area daily, my hood.

I would say the lawn signs are about 60% Con.

The Con signs are way better looking. Some dude named FEE.

Ironic 

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You can see his name easily, very big font. The NDP is a lady named Higginson, cant read her name very well...

The riding is weird...it's 'Ladysmith-Oceanside ( parksville/qualicum/nanoose)'

Ladysmith has nothing to do with the Oceanside region....we kinda have large areas called Naniamo and Ladysmith between us. 

Pretty high number of green in your riding, I really wonder what that group does on voting day.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of love between the green and ndp

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2024/09/25/BC-Greens-Strange-Claim-Centrists/

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ironic 

Pretty high number of green in your riding, I really wonder what that group does on voting day.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of love between the green and ndp

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2024/09/25/BC-Greens-Strange-Claim-Centrists/

Ahh the Greens. I love the idea. Used to vote for them.

They are claiming they are centrist now? 

Welp, that is inline with what they have been for a while now....confusing. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ahh the Greens. I love the idea. Used to vote for them.

They are claiming they are centrist now? 

Welp, that is inline with what they have been for a while now....confusing. 

I can kind of see the argument for there being something of a centre vacuum (centre-right in particular) just not sure that's Sonja.

Just as kind of a side thingy I do wonder if the NDP treating the greens poorly will come back to bite them. Sonja is certainly pushing the idea that it's ok to vote independent or even right.

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I can kind of see the argument for there being something of a centre vacuum (centre-right in particular) just not sure that's Sonja.

Just as kind of a side thingy I do wonder if the NDP treating the greens poorly will come back to bite them. Sonja is certainly pushing the idea that it's ok to vote independent or even right.

well, shes not going to get me back with that. 

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

well, shes not going to get me back with that. 

Weaver really killed it, he had actual power for a minute. Horgan really worked him. 

Looking back on it I don't think Weaver ever really wanted any kind of real responsibility. Horgan saw that and took it.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yep I'm all for the goodies too, just find a way to pay for them.

It's a bit scary when you see people state things like debt doesn't matter. 

The part that really gets me is when people expect business to carry it, and then they also make it harder to make money.

The 'debt doesn't matter' thing is either missunderstood, or just used in an overly optimisitic manner. If the deficit as a % of budget is lower than GPD growth, it doesn't really matter. However, it needs to be the long-run average, not every individual year.

When a crisis or external economic shock happens and you have to do massive deficit spending (like Covid), it takes years of regular GDP growth to make up for a single year of big deficits. So you can't run a 1.5% deficit every year and say it's fine because GDP growth is 2%. Because over the long term, the 30% deficit in the year with the massive shock has meant debt has grown way faster than GDP.

Really need to be running very modest surplusses is times of growth, so you can afford massive deficits for stimulus spending when there is a recession or large natural disaster, (or pandemic).

It's very hard to do that in practice though. Imagine trying to get re-elected when a million British Columbians don't have a family doctor, you were running a billion dollar surpus, and saying "no, we can't use that money to train and hire new doctors"

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

The 'debt doesn't matter' thing is either missunderstood, or just used in an overly optimisitic manner. If the deficit as a % of budget is lower than GPD growth, it doesn't really matter. However, it needs to be the long-run average, not every individual year.

When a crisis or external economic shock happens and you have to do massive deficit spending (like Covid), it takes years of regular GDP growth to make up for a single year of big deficits. So you can't run a 1.5% deficit every year and say it's fine because GDP growth is 2%. Because over the long term, the 30% deficit in the year with the massive shock has meant debt has grown way faster than GDP.

Really need to be running very modest surplusses is times of growth, so you can afford massive deficits for stimulus spending when there is a recession or large natural disaster, (or pandemic).

Bingo. This used to be a non controversial idea.

19 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

It's very hard to do that in practice though. Imagine trying to get re-elected when a million British Columbians don't have a family doctor, you were running a billion dollar surpus, and saying "no, we can't use that money to train and hire new doctors"

I don't think you could justify a billion, but shooting for break even would be a nice change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

Excellent post. It does come down to hard choices. Throwing money after programs that are not working forces serious reviews that those in the programs might not like. Change in the civil service are usually viewed as a threat. You example of healthcare is top on so many people who do not have it. Rustad says he wants to look at European systems that use both private and public services. We need a more detailed plan and the BC Cons have to produce that in this campaign. The kneejerk response by the NDP to maintain the staus quo is not good enough. 

You were talking about GDP growth that enables more spending. I remember Horigan saying that LNG Canada will pay $2 billion into government coffers once on line. Write that into government spending projections! The Greens have fought LNG for decades. When did we ever see an analysis of what that cost this province. The NDP under Horigan actually saw the value. Under Eby I am not sure at all. Rustad says he is full speed ahead on energy development. For those against I question where the money will come from to pay for the services they want or need? LNG Canada Phase 2, another $2 billion? 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Excellent post. It does come down to hard choices. Throwing money after programs that are not working forces serious reviews that those in the programs might not like. Change in the civil service are usually viewed as a threat. You example of healthcare is top on so many people who do not have it. Rustad says he wants to look at European systems that use both private and public services. We need a more detailed plan and the BC Cons have to produce that in this campaign. The kneejerk response by the NDP to maintain the staus quo is not good enough. 

You were talking about GDP growth that enables more spending. I remember Horigan saying that LNG Canada will pay $2 billion into government coffers once on line. Write that into government spending projections! The Greens have fought LNG for decades. When did we ever see an analysis of what that cost this province. The NDP under Horigan actually saw the value. Under Eby I am not sure at all. Rustad says he is full speed ahead on energy development. For those against I question where the money will come from to pay for the services they want or need? LNG Canada Phase 2, another $2 billion? 

I don't trust the NDP to develop LNG properly, particularly when someone throws UNDRIP back at them, I think they slow it down, maybe stop it. 

Darrel Stinson - a man I never voted for - is the former Conservative MP where I live.  He penned an open letter chastising the BC Cons for parachuting a candidate into our riding.  Most of the letter was specific to my riding  but it closed with this:

“The BC Conservative Party is not and has nothing to do with the Federal Conservatives and they are hoping you don’t know that.”

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

----- Safe from eating bugs today-----

FB_IMG_1727287894334.jpg

Humans are a funny lot....

As soon as the "bugs" learn to breathe underwater, we consider them a delicacy....(Lobster, Shrimp, Crabs....)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

thumb-2024-09-07-john-rustad-kids-bugs
Video

BC Conservative Leader John Rustad Warned Convoy Event That Kids Will Be Forced to ‘Eat Bugs’

Rustad delivered a conspiratorial speech at a far-right event in 2023 claiming children will be forced into eating bugs

by Rumneek Johal, Reporter
September 24, 2024

BC Conservative Party leader John Rustad delivered a conspiratorial speech at a convoy-linked conference last year where he warned the audience that children are being forced to eat bugs.

Rustad was a headline speaker at the 2023 “Reclaiming Canada Conference,” an event hosted by a convoy spin-off group called We Unify. The conference was billed as a celebration of the anniversary of the Freedom Convoy.

“In recognition of the 2022 Freedom Convoy, a second national conference was held in Victoria, British Columbia to assemble a coalition of leaders including Brian Peckford, B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad and many others,” the event’s website explained. Other speakers included Freedom Convoy organizers Chris Barber and Daniel Bulford, Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms President John Carpay and anti-mask activist Vladislav Sobolev.

During his speech, Rustad referenced a far-right conspiracy about climate change and bugs:

“Just about a year or two ago now, the new plant was built in Ontario, I think in the Ottawa area.

this plant produces 40,000 tonnes of bug protein for human and animal consumption,” Rustad said. “40,000 tonnes of bugs.”

“And there’s a second plant that’s now in the process of being built. This is what they think is the solution. And I can tell you, stopping cows from farting and belching is not gonna change the weather. But I’ll tell you what it will do. It will destroy our quality of life, limiting our ability to move around in the name of climate change just makes us vulnerable to more government control. It takes away our freedoms.”

Rustad then tipped his hat to the Freedom Convoy: “When I saw the trucker convoy, I thought about where we need to be and what they stood for and those values that they took across this country. And the flag that was raised around the world. My hat’s off to those people, those people who took that initiative. Those are values we need to fight for.”

“We should not be expecting our kids to eat bugs,” Rustad added.

thumb-2024-09-07-john-rustad-kids-bugs
Video

The BC Conservative Party did not respond to a request from PressProgress seeking clarification about Rustad’s comments about children eating bugs.

The idea that the government will force people to eat insects is linked to a conspiracy sparked by a World Economic Forum report that highlights why eating insects could help reduce the impacts of climate change.

One year earlier, a cricket factory in London, Ontario that primarily produces pet food found itself at the centre of a global conspiracy theory fuelled by misinformation which often became more outrageous with each iteration.

Peter Smith, a researcher with the Canadian Anti Hate Network says “eating bugs” has become a fast-growing conspiracy among the far-right.

“‘Eating the bugs,’ is a phrase that refers to a conspiracy theory we’ve been seeing quite often in a lot of different conspiratorial spaces but predominantly on the far-right,” Smith told PressProgress. “It refers to this idea that not only are alternative protein sources being explored by companies, but it’s part of a larger plan to eventually replace meat products.”

“Development goals which are very ambitious targets, sometimes kind of loose, set by the United Nations and international development organizations, then get misconstrued to be these fiendish plots to keep everybody inside of urban spaces and outlaw all of the fundamental rights and freedoms we’ve all come to enjoy.”

At another point in the same speech, Rustad suggested “climate policy” is to blame for mass starvation in the developing world.

“I think it’s great to use organic and to do the best we can in terms of food in our food source, but we’re talking about billions of people in the world starving to death because of a policy on climate change,” Rustad said. “I for one am not up for that.”

Rustad has previously come under fire for his anti-scientific views on climate change and his party’s links to the freedom convoy movement earlier this year.

In August 2022, Rustad retweeted a tweet from prominent climate science denier Patrick Moore casting doubt on climate science.

Rustad was subsequently removed from the BC Liberal caucus and joined the BC Conservatives as its leader.