B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Saskatchewan is known to some....

....we just wish we didn't....

there's actually some neat places there, if you can ignore Moe and his minions. Cypress Hills in the south is pretty cool, and way up north when you start hitting shield type geography its quite nice. There's a place I scouted for some rock climbing years ago, only problem is it's an 8 hour drive north from Saskatoon. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

there's actually some neat places there, if you can ignore Moe and his minions. Cypress Hills in the south is pretty cool, and way up north when you start hitting shield type geography its quite nice. There's a place I scouted for some rock climbing years ago, only problem is it's an 8 hour drive north from Saskatoon. 

Furthest north I got to in Saskatchewan, was Meadow Lake. I must have been in the wrong part of the south. (Weyburn, Estevan)

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Like 1

B.C. NDP pledges to help middle-income homebuyers with 40% of financing

New Democrat Leader David Eby said the Homes for People plan will commit up to $1.29 billion per year in financing, while supporting the development of up to 25,000 new units over five years.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Furthest north I got to in Saskatchewan, was Meadow Lake. I must have been in the wrong part of the south. (Weyburn, Estavan)

My Mom was born in Weyburn and my Dad more up north in Spalding.

My Dad's brother had a huge farm in Weyburn.  I must have been 8 or 9 and he took me up in his small plane,,,,,everything was so flat lol.

He also let me sit with him in his air conditioned combine while he drove,

It's still a hellhole thogh lol

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Isn't Brock Lesnar holed up in a compound there?  He doesn't particularly like the spotlight so I can see why he lives there in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, if you want "out of the spotlight", Saskatchewan is the place for you....

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My Dad's brother had a huge farm in Weyburn.  I must have been 8 or 9 and he took me up in his small plane,,,,,everything was so flat lol.

My parents had a farm in Weyburn, my aunt and uncle owned the John Deere dealerships for Weyburn and Regina, my grandfather owned the Yellowgrass “hotel”  and I still have family there.

Talking about flat…first time I drove there I was going north out of Weyburn on the grid road at night and dimmed my brights for what I thought was a car but turned out to be the lights from the town of Cedoux - about 15 kms away. No wonder so many flat-earthers come from those parts.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

My parents had a farm in Weyburn, my aunt and uncle owned the John Deere dealerships for Weyburn and Regina, my grandfather owned the Yellowgrass “hotel”  and I still have family there.

Talking about flat…first time I drove there I was going north out of Weyburn on the grid road at night and dimmed my brights for what I thought was a car but turned out to be the lights from the town of Cedoux - about 15 kms away. No wonder so many flat-earthers come from those parts.

I bet my Uncle knew him.  I had tons or relatives in Weyburn and Regina.  My cousin worked for the city police in Weyburn and went on to teach at the RCMP academy in Regina.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Air conditioned combine? Damn.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's a bit like the electoral college issue in the US, the BCC doesn't have support in enough districts. 

What I'm happy about tho is we are seeing the NDP have to make some more centre promises, which is a good outcome already.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

B.C. NDP pledges to help middle-income homebuyers with 40% of financing

New Democrat Leader David Eby said the Homes for People plan will commit up to $1.29 billion per year in financing, while supporting the development of up to 25,000 new units over five years.

The criticism of this is pretty on point, it doesn't do much for new supply. 

Still, every bit helps.

16 hours ago, 4petesake said:

The only air conditioning my uncles old Massey Harris had was the wide outdoors. Driving the thing while my uncle threw bales onto the stoneboat was bloody hot in the prairie air.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

My best friends son was born premie.

He had a few challenges. His mom did all she could to make sure he got top nutrition. One of the items was cricket bars. Yep,bugs. He didnt know/care, they tasted great.

He's 7 now. Strong as an Ox and very smart. 

These politicians do some real disservice with the crap they go on about.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

another day another poll: https://338canada.com/bc/

Now they are projecting 47 seats NDP, 45 BCC, 1 G.

its still about 2/3 - 1/3 roughly the chances to form government, but this is pretty wild. I don't understand how the BCC are doing this with no ground game and all the negative press. 

They have the trendy word 'conservative' in their name.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

They have the trendy word 'conservative' in their name.

that has to be it. It makes me wonder how much further ahead they'd be if Rustad dropped the weird stuff. 

I still think Eby squeaks out a win, but this is a lot close than I thought it wold be, particularly in some Vancouver ridings. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

BC Conservatives promise major regulatory changes to boost resource industries

Policies designed to fully electrify LNG production in the province would be abandoned.

I don't know how we pay for all the social programs without this kind of move. 

Just read in the GM that the BC population was 10% NPR non-permanent residents. I assume a large portion is applying for citizenship. Wikipedia says the BC pop is now 5.6 million. If the GM stat is accurate that means 560,000 non residents in BC. Now Trudeau wants to send 30,000 refugees from Ontario and Quebec to BC. While I blame organized crime from SE Asia for much of the escalation in property values in BC the pressure for housing by population growth is also a factor.