B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

B.C. NDP adds fast-tracking pre-fabricated homes to housing plans ahead of election

At an election campaign stop on Vancouver Island, NDP Leader David Eby said pre-built homes cut waste, reduce emissions, and the advances in the industry mean the homes are "beautiful and high-quality."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Just read in the GM that the BC population was 10% NPR non-permanent residents. I assume a large portion is applying for citizenship. Wikipedia says the BC pop is now 5.6 million. If the GM stat is accurate that means 560,000 non residents in BC. Now Trudeau wants to send 30,000 refugees from Ontario and Quebec to BC. While I blame organized crime from SE Asia for much of the escalation in property values in BC the pressure for housing by population growth is also a factor.  

Don't  forget 28,000 to Alberta

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Just read in the GM that the BC population was 10% NPR non-permanent residents. I assume a large portion is applying for citizenship. Wikipedia says the BC pop is now 5.6 million. If the GM stat is accurate that means 560,000 non residents in BC. Now Trudeau wants to send 30,000 refugees from Ontario and Quebec to BC. While I blame organized crime from SE Asia for much of the escalation in property values in BC the pressure for housing by population growth is also a factor.  

Ottawa looks to relocate thousands of asylum seekers to provinces from Ontario, Quebec

'There's only so far the federal government can actually be nice and say "please," said the immigration minister. 'We also have levers that we need to pull...'

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canada-asylum-seekers

Campaigning B.C. party leaders speak on trades, energy, health

Skilled labour, energy and health care defined election campaigning Thursday as the province's three main party leaders spoke across B.C.

In Chilliwack, NDP Leader David Eby promised to double apprenticeships for skilled trades, before he made a campaign stop in Nanaimo for a health-care announcement. Conservative Leader John Rustad headed to Prince George with a platform on power generation, and Green Leader Sonia Furstenau announced her mental health plan.

Eby — who was stung by a wasp during his news conference in Chilliwack — said his government would spend $150 million over three years to double the number of trade apprentice seats from the current 26,000 to more than 50,000.

The additional apprenticeships would include training to become a bricklayer, an industrial electrician, a machinist, a plumber and others.

At a town hall in Nanaimo, Eby promised a new patient tower for the local hospital.

"We are building a new cancer care centre right here, and I'm committing today to continue improving access to quality health care in this community with a new tower for the hospital" Eby said in a statement to press.

The Conservatives issued a statement promising increased local power generation in the northwest to bring down costs and increase energy security.

They say wood waste would be used to generate power locally, and natural gas could provide a stable and cost-effective energy supply.

Rustad also said he plans to invest in municipal infrastructure and building homes. 

"We're going to commit to putting a billion dollars annually toward communities to deal with things like water and sewer upgrades so we can get homes built," he said. "People want to have affordable quality homes.

At a news conference in Creston, B.C., Furstenau promised every B.C. resident would get six visits per year with a mental health professional under the provincial medical services plan, if her party is elected.

The Greens estimate the cost of such a service at about $100 million a year. Furstenau said paying for proactive mental health care would save money in the long run and take pressure off the acute-care system by helping prevent people from having a crisis.

"We need to ensure we remove the barriers to accessing mental health care," she said in a statement. "It affects all of us, either personally or through someone we love. But too often, people can't find or afford the help they need."

The party's mental health platform also includes promises to regulate psychotherapy, which would add a specific mental health option for 911 calls alongside police, ambulance or fire, and introduce a mental health advocate.

55 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Seaspan says government needs to financially support shipbuilding or ferries will not be built in B.C.

The company notes that other provinces, such as Quebec, support their shipyards by requiring vessels to be built domestically and providing tax credits, forgivable loans and grants

so when I talk about not supporting industry enough, this is the kind of thing I mean. It should be a no-brainer to ensure we build these here. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

so when I talk about not supporting industry enough, this is the kind of thing I mean. It should be a no-brainer to ensure we build these here. 

I don't think any amount of support would get Seaspan in the running for the first 5 ferries BC Ferries is ordering. They wouldn't be able to meet the delivery schedule, their order book is full for the next few years.

The two follow-on ships in the 2030s would probably fit with the schedule though. That order would be a good time to target a subsidy

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I don't think any amount of support would get Seaspan in the running for the first 5 ferries BC Ferries is ordering. They wouldn't be able to meet the delivery schedule, their order book is full for the next few years.

The two follow-on ships in the 2030s would probably fit with the schedule though. That order would be a good time to target a subsidy

dunno, sounds like they do want a chance to compete on them if they can get more support. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

dunno, sounds like they do want a chance to compete on them if they can get more support. 

Maybe they could, I did read the statement from SeaSpan on their decision not to compete on the build. Could be that they do have capacity for that order but need support to compete with international firms. Or it could be that they want to lay the messaging and ground work for the province to engage them early enough to actually have a subsidy organized by the time BC ferries launches the competition for the next 2 ships.

Seaspan has 16 8,500 tonne Coast Guard multi-purpose ships, 2 20,000 tonne Navy support ships, and a massive 27,000 tonne Coast Guard heavy icebreaker on order right now. That's a lot of work to get though before the ferries.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Vintage 1

Imo- Seaspan/Washington Marine group/ Vancouver Shipyards would need a second worksite, to handle the extra work.

That would take government help- a new location/zoning/environmental issues etc. Need a lot more employees/ apprenticeships and so much more

But could lead to many new long term jobs- and a chance to compete for many new builds- not just domestic ships.

Which government has the stones to do long term planning, and not be only worried about next election/two years ?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Thanks for this.  I hope this information reaches a lot of voters.

It's a sign of the times that this was all gathered by BC United who eventually keeled over and joined the Cons much like the Never Trumpers who are now praising Trump.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Thanks for this.  I hope this information reaches a lot of voters.

It's a sign of the times that this was all gathered by BC United who eventually keeled over and joined the Cons much like the Never Trumpers who are now praising Trump.

Rustad has stated he wants to repeal the Indigenous treaties. Lovely! You think going through their territories to build pipelines is tough now.

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

Rustad has stated he wants to repeal the Indigenous treaties. Lovely! You think going through their territories to build pipelines is tough now.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/rustad-wants-b-c-indigenous-rights-law-repealed-chief-sees-that-as-40-year-setback/ar-AA1rpruP?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=02084b598bb441999870a9f538976b09&ei=81

"

British Columbia saw a rare unanimous vote in its legislature in October 2019, when members passed a law adopting the United Nations Declarations on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, setting out standards including free, prior and informed consent for actions affecting them.

The law "fundamentally changed the relationship" between First Nations and the province, said Terry Teegee, regional chief of the B.C. Assembly of First Nations.

"Rather than having some sort of consultation, right now we're actually talking about shared decision-making," Teegee said in an interview.

John Rustad threw his support behind the legislation as a member of the Official Opposition B.C. Liberal Party, but as the B.C. Conservative leader he has since signalled his intention to "repeal" the law if his party wins the Oct. 19 provincial election.

Rustad said in a statement on the Conservatives' website last February, that the UN declaration, known as UNDRIP, was "established for conditions in other countries — not Canada."

Teegee said Rustad was "creating enemies" with First Nations.

"As we come to Sept. 30, he's repealing, in a way, reconciliation," Teegee said in an interview ahead of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. "He's undoing a lot of the good work that many people in this province have worked toward."

----------------------------------------------

lots more at link

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/rustad-wants-b-c-indigenous-rights-law-repealed-chief-sees-that-as-40-year-setback/ar-AA1rpruP?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=02084b598bb441999870a9f538976b09&ei=81

"

British Columbia saw a rare unanimous vote in its legislature in October 2019, when members passed a law adopting the United Nations Declarations on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, setting out standards including free, prior and informed consent for actions affecting them.

The law "fundamentally changed the relationship" between First Nations and the province, said Terry Teegee, regional chief of the B.C. Assembly of First Nations.

"Rather than having some sort of consultation, right now we're actually talking about shared decision-making," Teegee said in an interview.

John Rustad threw his support behind the legislation as a member of the Official Opposition B.C. Liberal Party, but as the B.C. Conservative leader he has since signalled his intention to "repeal" the law if his party wins the Oct. 19 provincial election.

Rustad said in a statement on the Conservatives' website last February, that the UN declaration, known as UNDRIP, was "established for conditions in other countries — not Canada."

"As we come to Sept. 30, he's repealing, in a way, reconciliation," Teegee said in an interview ahead of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. "He's undoing a lot of the good work that many people in this province have worked toward."

----------------------------------------------

lots more at link

This part of the article beyond the headline is interesting:

Warbus said B.C.'s declaration legislation is "97 per cent good," but the application of free, prior and informed consent had not been settled in the province.

She pointed to conflict over the Coastal GasLink pipeline in northwestern B.C.

I know there's been a fair amount of angst over the decision to adopt UNDRIP in BC. (even though it was a unanimous vote in the Legislature)

I wonder how people feel about John Rustad's intent to repeal that decision, if he wins?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/rustad-wants-b-c-indigenous-rights-law-repealed-chief-sees-that-as-40-year-setback/ar-AA1rpruP?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=81e67654e3204020b862cc413508b6d3&ei=132

I definitely agree that the timing is odd....with Truth and Reconciliation Day coming up....:classic_unsure:

More in the link.

23 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I know there's been a fair amount of angst over the decision to adopt UNDRIP in BC. (even though it was a unanimous vote in the Legislature)

I wonder how people feel about John Rustad's intent to repeal that decision, if he wins?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/rustad-wants-b-c-indigenous-rights-law-repealed-chief-sees-that-as-40-year-setback/ar-AA1rpruP?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=81e67654e3204020b862cc413508b6d3&ei=132

I definitely agree that the timing is odd....with Truth and Reconciliation Day coming up....:classic_unsure:

More in the link.

OIP.jpg.7ef2f159b0ae2cfbbe1e2873dc3e97bf.jpg

see 3 posts up 🙂

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

More in the link.

It's about the implementation. Why did the NDP try to sneak through new regulations? 

NDP uses BC United research to mount attacks on 'crackpot' B.C. Conservatives

Two BC United members, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed Saturday the documents were the result of research compiled by the party before the election campaign, but denied being sources of the leak.

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

It's about the implementation. Why did the NDP try to sneak through new regulations? 

I'm not sure what this has to do with my post...:classic_unsure: I asked what people's feelings are about the possibility of Rustad reversing the decision, if he gets in...

Secondly, I don't know what new regulations you're talking about.

Some of the latest polls have Conservatives ahead of the NDP in the province. This is mind boggling. This Conservatives party is full of crazies. They’re against Covid vaccines, don’t believe in climate change, and are  homophobic. 
Star Wars GIF

• Vintage 3