B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That is pretty gd damning and actually in keep with what we've seen from Rustads MP hopefuls so far

For Immediate Release,  -- Statement from Dupinder Saran, former BC Conservative Candidate for Surrey-Panorama:  Effective today, I am withdrawing my name from the ballot for the 2024 BC election campaign. I recently removed myself as a BC Conservative candidate following John Rustad’s secret deal with Kevin Falcon. At that time, I announced I would run as an independent candidate.  

I am very disappointed with how the Conservative Party of BC has handled this entire process and I feel disrespected as a racialized candidate. However, the weaknesses of John Rustad have also been made clear to me. Before I became an independent candidate, there were hateful anti-Sikh posts circulating and Rustad’s BC Conservative party refused to defend and support me. It has become clear that I was used as a “Brown Token” for the party, to serve their purpose of attracting Sikh, and minority supporters and then easily cast aside. Another BC Conservative position that made me realize that they do not represent me was that they are actively considering bringing back the RCMP in Surrey if they are elected.

I do not think the people of Surrey want to bring back this old debate that has gone on for far too long .  For years, I have worked hard to establish strong relationships in my community and my supporters encouraged me to continue representing them as an independent - but we cannot run the risk of John Rustad’s candidate being elected in this riding. I no longer believe that the Conservative Party of BC holds the values that they pretend to. If they can’t stand up for their candidates, how can they stand up for Surrey ?  I have decided to endorse and throw all of my support behind Jinny Sims, the BC NDP Surrey-Panorama candidate and incumbent.. As one South Asian woman to another, I will support Jinny in whichever way possible. With myself as a Registered Nurse and Jinny as a retired teacher, together we can support Surrey’s healthcare and education needs to benefit our community. 

Signed Dupinder Saran Sept 27, 2024 Surrey BC

• Vintage 2

Baldrey: How 'federal Liberals and orphaned Greens' may decide the 2024 B.C. election

These voters hold a lot of power with the loss of the B.C. Liberal Party and lack of finalized Green candidates, says columnist Keith Baldrey.

• ThereItIs 1

My riding just got interesting.

The incumbent is a BCLib-cum-BCUP-cum-CONBC candidate.  High-profile former Chinese media type, who can't seem to get her political bearings straight.  I wouldn't be surprised if one day she flies the ccp banner.

Her biggest threat is someone flying the orange banner (but her campaign billboards are strangely reddish-orange) who uses missing-penstroke Chinese in her campaign materials, which would suggest to me that she's from the prc, and would probably fly the ccp banner if not for trying to build her localist political persona.

One of the independent candidates is a BCLib-cum-BCUP flunkie who couldn't beat a different riding's NDP incumbent and so decided to try her luck in my riding instead.  I don't really think she has a chance, and she almost certainly won't leach many votes from the incumbent.

The other independent candidate (last minute submission) and the Green candidate will almost certainly leach votes away from ms. prc NDP candidate and may even hand the victory to the incumbent.  The indie guy was closely involved with the Georgia Straight, while the Green guy lives within earshot of the runways on Sea Island.

Once again, I find myself without a good choice within this pack of candidates but am compelled to vote if for no other reason than to discharge my civic duty. 

咁多人死唔撚見佢哋死鳩晒 屌哪媽仆佢哋嘅醜街 :picard:

Central Kootenay here. Incumbent is NDP. The BC Con just got nominated 10 days ago. The Greens and an Indepentant have had their signs up from the writ drop. No signs from the NDP and BC Cons. Greens have rolled thru with a public Q&A. The NDP are dropping a lot of money into the riding for projects. They should be able to hold this riding. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

NDP putting signs of David Eby on top of the Conservative signs…

I am shocked at tactics like this. Maybe the NDP ran out of wood? They have shut logging down. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Baldrey: How 'federal Liberals and orphaned Greens' may decide the 2024 B.C. election

These voters hold a lot of power with the loss of the B.C. Liberal Party and lack of finalized Green candidates, says columnist Keith Baldrey.

Not a bad article. I think most long time politics thread users know I identify federally as a Liberal. I plan to vote for the BC NDP in my riding. My wife has expressed that she too will likely be voting NDP when our mail in ballots arrive, ordered them yesterday. My reasoning is that I prefer progressives to conservatives, but the Green Party is in complete disaray and has zero chance of being effective at anything other than splitting the progressive vote and allowing a CON MAN majority.

We will see where it ends up, but this one is a polarized choice for me, either the BC NDP keep governing or John Rustad's Cons get to do so. There is no other choice really. 

The NDP have done well since taking office in BC, and I am happy to see the about face on hard drugs use in public now that the data has been seen on decriminalization. 

Sometimes the left shoots its own foot by going extreme left. That may cost them governance yet again, and hopefully they learn from it and step back to the middle here in BC politics permanently. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am shocked at tactics like this. Maybe the NDP ran out of wood? They have shut logging down. 

Not to worry Bouds....I'm sure you'll be able to find a big strong conservative, who will be more than happy to give you some wood....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

NDP putting signs of David Eby on top of the Conservative signs…

That's illegal.

Doubt its the 'NDP' doing it as you and this doom and gloomer suggest, It's likely the NDP supporters.

I have seen a few Con signs knocked over in my area but I think that might be due to recent wind. I believe whoever has been putting up the signs, have not been staking them into the ground.

Do you hope the province goes to the Cons, EP?

Lot of blue signs up this way, looks like the incumbent Bernier is running as an independent, hopefully he wins. The cliche is that northern BC is basically Alberta in terms of voting habits, guess we'll see whether that rings true. 

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That's illegal.

Doubt its the 'NDP' doing it as you and this doom and gloomer suggest, It's likely the NDP supporters.

I have seen a few Con signs knocked over in my area but I think that might be due to recent wind. I believe whoever has been putting up the signs, have not been staking them into the ground.

Do you hope the province goes to the Cons, EP?

That doom and gloomer in the video is Paul Ratchford, the soon to be new MLA for Vancouver-Point Grey...   😉

I've never voted for the NDP in my life, so that probably tells you everything you need to know...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That doom and gloomer in the video is Paul Ratchford, the soon to be new MLA for Vancouver-Point Grey...   😉

I've never voted for the NDP in my life, so that probably tells you everything you need to know...

-Yes,  He seems doom and gloom.

- So, no matter what the NDP do/dont do doesnt matter to you? 

I ask because you dont seem 'party loyal' as you have mentioned voting LIb federally. Kinda surprises me. Being that locked in/tribal is unfortunate, have an open mind homie. 

I dont know who seems more wonky, fed or bc Cons. But these BC Cons seem like pretty daft. 

• Cheers 4

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

28 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I ask because you dont seem 'party loyal' as you have mentioned voting LIb federally. Kinda surprises me. Being that locked in/tribal is unfortunate, have an open mind homie. 

I dont know who seems more wonky, fed or bc Cons. But these BC Cons seem like pretty daft. 

I appreciate the perspectives of you both. I somewhat feel like on the spectrum i am in between the two of you somewhere from left to right. haha. Depending on the issue I agree with each of you on various things. 

I just wanted to chime in to say that I don't think Paul Ratchford will unseat the sitting premier in Vancouver Point Grey. Stranger things have happened, but it is at best a LONG shot. 

The riding went 53% to 47% for the electoral reform referendum in 2018 AND Eby himself won with 56% support in 2017 and then 52% support in 2020. Now that he is the NDP party leader and sitting Premier, I can see that number climb to 62 or 64% quite easily on the 19th of October. One to watch for sure, but sitting party leaders who are incumbents in their ridings have a massive advantage over the competition there. For instance the Green Party's 17 percent there in 2020  is projectable to slide at least 8% to Eby this time out due to the things I mentioned. I have Eby pegged to win with lets lock in at 63% support in that riding. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

To be honest, I did not vote in the last election in 2020.  Didn't care for the Liberal candidate and I knew the NDP would win.  I actually didn't have an issue with Horgan to be honest.  He seemed to be more of a centrist than his predecessors from years gone by.  Unfortunately, I don't feel the same way about Eby.  He might even lose his riding this time as well.  Your buddy Paul Ratchford I think is going to take it...  

If I had to guess the Conservatives will win a majority government.  PP will win as well, so looks like most of Canada will be Conservative ,moving forward...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To be honest, I did not vote in the last election in 2020.  Didn't care for the Liberal candidate and I knew the NDP would win.  I actually didn't have an issue with Horgan to be honest.  He seemed to be more of a centrist than his predecessors from years gone by.  Unfortunately, I don't feel the same way about Eby.  He might even lose his riding this time as well.  Your buddy Paul Ratchford I think is going to take it...  

If I had to guess the Conservatives will win a majority government.  PP will win as well, so looks like most of Canada will be Conservative ,moving forward...

Starting to look into options for emigrating if Rustad and Poilivre both win.  This province won't be inhabitable if they're allowed to do what they want to it.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Starting to look into options for emigrating if Rustad and Poilivre both win.  This province won't be inhabitable if they're allowed to do what they want to it.

Where are you moving too?  If Trump wins then you are pretty much screwed, you'd have to look at Europe.  I hear Italy is beautiful in the summertime.  Unfortunately, Giorgia Meloni is clamping down on immigration, so you may not make the cut.  You shouldn't have any issues moving to the UK or France though...

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Where are you moving too?  If Trump wins then you are pretty much screwed, you'd have to look at Europe.  I hear Italy is beautiful in the summertime.  Unfortunately, Giorgia Meloni is clamping down on immigration, so you may not make the cut.  You shouldn't have any issues moving to the UK or France though...

Mexico 

This raises a good point though....

I wonder if the thousands of Canadians who fled to Nicaragua for a "better life" will return to Canada once the "Sunshine and Rainbows" parties take over and simultaneously lower taxes, make housing more plentiful and affordable, improve healthcare and education, pay down the debt and balance the budget?

Oh yes, and end the wars in the ME and Russia, achieve Cold Fusion, end world hunger and make the Flames Cup contenders.....(okay....I got a little carried away with that last one)

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Haha 2