B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

They know they are winning and don't want to risk it. If there was a televised debate I missed it and did not hear the radio debate. I agree that candidates should debate. As it is now Eby will have to stand on the NDP record and Rustad will get a bit of a free ride. People will consider their present circumstances and wonder where they will be if they re-elect Eby. Rustad will collect the votes of people who have had enough of the NDP. The polls suggest a tie but I would not be surprised if Rustad wins. 

I fear too many people are not taking the time to wonder what they will get if they elect Rustad.  These days, one of the definitions of Conservative is 'not Trudeau' (or anyone who has ever appeared in a photograph with him).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

I fear too many people are not taking the time to wonder what they will get if they elect Rustad.  These days, one of the definitions of Conservative is 'not Trudeau' (or anyone who has ever appeared in a photograph with him).

To be fair that is how a political lightweight like Justin got elected.  People got tired of Harper.  Junior took the wrong lessons from that win and overstayed his welcome like Harper did. We survived one term of Bill "give them shovels" VanderZalm.  We can survive one term of another social Conservative IMHO. 

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair that is how a political lightweight like Justin got elected.  People got tired of Harper.  Junior took the wrong lessons from that win and overstayed his welcome like Harper did. We survived one term of Bill "give them shovels" VanderZalm.  We can survive one term of another social Conservative IMHO. 

We can survive a lot of things.  I've survived a motorcycle accident.  That doesn't mean we should not try to avoid certain things just because they are survivable. 

IMHO Rustad is a bag of hot air and ill conceived concepts of a plan.  Social Conservative?  Please expand on that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Believe in Jebus.  Red Tories are extinct.

Dinosaurs are extinct too but we still have vultures, parrots who speak but make no sense, and pigeons who do nothing but poop everywhere.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Seriously,

Dear friends of CFF, please consider what party you are about to vote for in BC.

Just look at some of the info you are getting about these Con candidates. 

I understand a desire for change, but please, really give this some thought. 

The sad thing is for some here, the bigotry of Rustad and the rest of the vermin that makes up his party is a feature instead of a flaw.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The sad thing is for some here, the bigotry of Rustad and the rest of the vermin that makes up is party is a feature instead of a flaw.

It’s true. We like to think of ourselves as so different than the US, with it’s crazy pack of Republicans led by MAGA-man Trump, yet Rustad and his cronies are really not that different, and there’s a growing appeal from the disenfranchised out there that this option will somehow make their lives better. Unfortunately, it’ll really mess this province up.

This stood out to me @Boudrias

And so what we've been focusing on is how do we streamline processes to get more housing built faster, How do we restrict the excesses around short-term rentals, speculation, international money, money laundering that have been taking place in our housing market?

There's also a section on becoming a hydrogen export hub @Bob Long😉

"And we also have big international companies visiting British Columbia to talk about hydrogen. We had Fortescue, a huge Australian mining company, their CEO fly to Prince George to meet with the mayor and the local First Nation to talk about a $2 billion hydrogen export plant to decarbonize steel operations around the world. POSCO, a huge Korean steelmaking firm in conversations with BC about a site to export hydrogen to decarbonize their steelmaking operations in Korea. I think that if we move quickly, we're going to be able to seize on this. And that's the big question. Electricity does not move quickly. It is the opposite. It is a highly regulated industry. It is a very slow moving beast. And so we put in place a task force at BC Hydro to find ways to move faster around bringing new transmission and generation online. Where does LNG fit into all this? Our government delivered the LNG Canada project as well as Wood Fiber LNG which just started construction and Cedar LNG which is the largest indigenous energy project in North America. And so we recognize, I recognize that LNG is part of our economic and energy mix. at the same time as we recognize that fossil fuel infrastructure, its days are numbered. And so we're not putting all our eggs in that basket. In fact, when I met with the companies that are the big proponents behind LNG Canada, they're finding ways to pivot to clean energy sources like hydrogen, and they're going to be our partners in those projects as well. So we're all looking to decarbonize. We have different targets, 2030, 2040, 2050."

It's like actual, smart, evidence based, long term planning, including building industry, bringing in investment etc... in government.  THIS is what we need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Thank goodness that Eby is standing with Robert Louie and the Westbank 1st nations in rejecting claims by the Colville 1st Nations to assets in BC. I never thought Canada should have signed the UN proclamation on indiginous rights and started to implement it. This is a national self governance issue. Canada should consult with first nations but there should be no veto over public policy. I suspect the Colville claims are in essence a low cost attempt to gain a payoff.   

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Meanwhile, on the other side...

I would have no issue with sending this worthless sack of shit to The Hague.  Rustad simply has no place in a civilized society and needs to be held accountable for attempting to destroy the province.

I know the NDP has bitched about it and I now see that the BC COns are using it in their ads.

They are not identifying themselves as 'BC' Conservatives, on the ballots and in their ads.

Just saw an ad on TV tying Eby to JT, saying they did a bunch of things together, at the end of the ad it says on 'Oct 19, vote Conservative'

They are riding off the national Con brand and trying to hide that this is a provicial party and election. I feel that there is a decent amount of folks that will go out and vote that dont know the difference. 

https://vancouversun.com/news/election/ndp-court-bc-conservative-party-ballots

The B.C. NDP has asked the court to force the provincial Conservative Party to include B.C. in its name on ballots for the Oct. 19 election, arguing that leaving out B.C. may mislead voters into thinking they are voting for Pierre Poilievre’s popular federal Conservatives.

Edited by bishopshodan

The softwood lumber tariffs the USA has applied to BC exports should be a topic for debate in this election. There is now $9 billion sitting in the USA federal account since 2018. This is primarily BC money. Yes, this is in the federal wheelhouse. It is one of the first chips surrendered by the feds when negotiating with the Americans. Why do I think that if it was Quebec or Ontario that had that amount of money owed them that the feds would have had a settlement? Whoever forms the next BC government should have this issue high on the list of issues to deal with. BC's level of co-operation with the feds should be determined by how well they bring the Americans to the table.  

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Heffy, you forgot to write that Chip is a Nazi on the sign…

Under Eby?

I don't recall the average majority individual protesting anything.  Whining about everything.  Blaming the NDP for everything.  Threatening people.  Protesting schools, books, immigrants.  I don't recall open gatherings of anti abortionists the way I see lately or the promotion of insane conspiracy theories from them either.

Who and where do I actually see it from?  Just gonna say, not from the average contrist or left leaning individual from BC.

Also, seems Chip Wilson's personal wealth actually grew by almost a billion dollars since the NDP took power.  Not terrible at all.

Also, again Chip.  The NDP IS communism?  Come on man...you're UVIC alma mater, be better

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I know the NDP has bitched about it and I now see that the BC COns are using it in their ads.

They are not identifying themselves as 'BC' Conservatives, on the ballots and in their ads.

Just saw an ad on TV tying Eby to JT, saying they did a bunch of things together, at the end of the ad it says on 'Oct 19, vote Conservative'

They are riding off the national Con brand and trying to hide that this is a provicial party and election. I feel that there is a decent amount of folks that will go out and vote that dont know the difference. 

https://vancouversun.com/news/election/ndp-court-bc-conservative-party-ballots

The B.C. NDP has asked the court to force the provincial Conservative Party to include B.C. in its name on ballots for the Oct. 19 election, arguing that leaving out B.C. may mislead voters into thinking they are voting for Pierre Poilievre’s popular federal Conservatives.

Well to be fair, is there a difference?

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Under Eby?

I don't recall the average majority individual protesting anything.  Whining about everything.  Blaming the NDP for everything.  Threatening people.  Protesting schools, books, immigrants.  I don't recall open gatherings of anti abortionists the way I see lately or the promotion of insane conspiracy theories from them either.

Who and where do I actually see it from?  Just gonna say, not from the average contrist or left leaning individual from BC.

Also, seems Chip Wilson's personal wealth actually grew by almost a billion dollars since the NDP took power.  Not terrible at all.

Also, again Chip.  The NDP IS communism?  Come on man...you're UVIC alma mater, be better

Chip creates a divisive sign and then complains of a growing divide.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3