B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

40 minutes ago, 24K said:

Well to be fair, is there a difference?

I, like the BCNDP, dont like the misrepresentation.

Honestly, I think there is a decent difference. The BC Cons are a hollow party, slammed together last min, with a guy that might be more wacko than PP. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Heffy, you forgot to write that Chip is a Nazi on the sign…

Guy puts up a sign calling people communist.

Gets spray painted, something that would not happen under a communist regime.

Your boy here comes on, a tweet headline saying Eby is the one that is creating divide.

Funny that he had to mention ' not to help the 1%' ...as he stands outside the poor victim's house, a property that is the most expensive home in the province..

Actually pretty funny Pete, thank you, honestly having a chuckle here. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Guy puts up a sign calling people communist.

Gets spray painted, something that would not happen under a communist regime.

Your boy here come on, tweet headline saying Eby is the one that is creating divide.

Funny that he had to mention ' not to help the 1%' ...as he stands outside the poor victim's house, a property that is the most expensive home in the province..

Actually pretty funny Pete, thank you, honestly having a chuckle here. 

Meh…Ratchford is the guy that retweeted a post from the PPC candidate from Quadra calling for the arrest of Dr Bonny Henry in 2021 so no surprise here. It tracks.

IMG_1869.jpeg

Edited by 4petesake
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Chip calls over 60% of the voters who voted for the NDP

"IS COMMUNIST"

Then complains that Eby is dividing the nation.

Have you noticed how that seems to be the modus operandi for people like him?  trump?  Musk?  Pierre?

They piss people off, lie, blame everyone else for the issues they cause as well as the benefits they have that nobody else can obtain and claim it is their opposing side that is dividing everyone.

Eveeryone against me is the enemy and need to be dealt with.  But they are dividing the people.

There's a Cantonese saying: 賊喊捉賊

Literally translated, it reads: "Thief yells 'catch thief!'", or as Wiktionary puts it

1. to accuse others of wrongdoing as the wrongdoer to escape guilt and responsibility by diverting attention

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/賊喊捉賊

Definitely part of their m.o., yet there are people who still fall for it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Meh…Ratchford is the guy that retweeted a post from the PPC candidate from Quadra calling for the arrest of Dr Bonny Henry in 2021 so no surprise here. It tracks.

IMG_1869.jpeg

...and these are our BC Cons.

What the actual fook, clown shoes. 

• Vintage 3

17 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

...and these are our BC Cons.

What the actual fook, clown shoes. 

How the fuck are they polling so high?! I weep for the political literacy in our country 🤦‍♂️

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

How the fuck are they polling so high. I weep for the political literacy in our country 🤦‍♂️

That's why I brought up that they are pushing themselves as just 'conservatives' and not reminding people that they are BC Conservatives.

i know many should/will realise that this is a provicial election, but to answer your question...

I think they are polling high because there are a whole new group of voters out there, people that never really cared about politics. Mostly men, that in the past might have spent their time focusing on sports, and putting their tribal anger into that, now are obssessed with political teams.

Whole bunch of reasons for why politics are so popular now, but i dont think I have ever seen certain demographics go engaged.

Many of these voters will stick to their 'team' and dont slow down to realise that provicial elections and parties are different than Fed. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That's why I brought up that they are pushing themselves as just 'conservatives' and not reminding poeple that they are BC Conservatives.

i know many should/will realise that this is a provicial election, but to answer your question...

I think they are polling high because there are a whole new group of voters out there, people that never really cared about politics. Mostly men, that in the past might have spent their time focusing on sports, and putting their tribal anger into that, now are obssessed with political teams.

Whole bunch of reasons for why politics are so popular now, but i dont think I have ever seen certain demographics go engaged.

Many of these voters will stick to their 'team' and dont slow down to realise that provicial elections and parties are different than Fed. 

I think we need a few skill testing questions to vote 😂

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That's why I brought up that they are pushing themselves as just 'conservatives' and not reminding poeple that they are BC Conservatives.

Yep. We see it in all countries....the angry young man is consistently buying what conservative politicians are selling.....especially if it is based on fear....

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think we need a few skill testing questions to vote 😂

The sad thing is, if you made it a requirement that the voter be able to name his or her MLA, MP and the leaders of their respective parties, it would carve a huge chunk from the electorate...

• chaos 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

This in a nutshell.

I will say though that it’s far more true for the Conservative/Trump side. There has always been the red and blue divide where people tend to stick with their team’s colour but there has been a dramatic shift since MAGA. Now you have one side that wants to buy and fly, they want their team’s merch and have their entire identity wrapped up in it. I can’t think of a parallel example on the Dem side.

In Canada (since PP has no personality or appeal) we have the FuckTrudeau merch that people want to plaster all over their trucks or plant the flags at their homes. Everything about them has to be tied to these “anti” ideas. Anti Trudeau/vac/government/trans/immigrants and on and on. And no I’m not referring to every person who considers themselves conservative or plans to vote that way.

I liken it to how we were as kids when If you built a fort you wanted to fly the pirate flag. Now they’re fully grown but haven’t left the skull and crossbones behind and want to show that they’re still badass.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This in a nutshell.

I will say though that it’s far more true for the Conservative/Trump side. There has always been the red and blue divide where people tend to stick with their team’s colour but there has been a dramatic shift since MAGA. Now you have one side that wants to buy and fly, they want their team’s merch and have their entire identity wrapped up in it. I can’t think of a parallel example on the Dem side.

In Canada (since PP has no personality or appeal) we have the FuckTrudeau merch that people want to plaster all over their trucks or plant the flags at their homes. Everything about them has to be tied to these “anti” ideas. Anti Trudeau/vac/government/trans/immigrants and on and on. And no I’m not referring to every person who considers themselves conservative or plans to vote that way.

I liken it to how we were as kids when If you built a fort you wanted to fly the pirate flag. Now they’re fully grown but haven’t left the skull and crossbones behind and want to show that they’re still badass.

There's some truth to this, which is why the best thing Trudeau could probably do is allow another candidate to run next go round. It'd effectively kill the whole "fuck Trudeau" bit and a lot of his baggage would largely be resigned to history.

Politicians get stale, it's how it goes. 

I've likened it to the Americanization of Canadian politics in the Canadian political thread, and I don't think Canada will be better for it. We've seen the federal Cons emulating the Republican approach, we're seeing it from the provincial Cons too to a degree. 

The last time I recall there being so much vitriol for a single politician it probably was Harper. But part of it all is a lot of folks simply voting for or against figureheads instead of voting for party platforms; lot of folks will probably vote against their best interests because of this. 

Canada's Cons have been courting fringe aspects of the right and they've given them a voice, not sure that can be put back in the box so to speak. 

• Cheers 3

Not sure if anyone is watching the debate, but imo Eby's tack of trying to put the blame of past government actions on Rustad isnt landing. Rustad wasn't the leader and Eby isn't actually talking about his own record enough.

Edited by Bob Long

37 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

She did, some of her ideas are pretty far out there but she was the only one talking about corporate rental problems 

I may have misheard her, but did she say that natural gas is just as bad as coal in terms of its environmental impact?

If so, that's news to me.

16 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I may have misheard her, but did she say that natural gas is just as bad as coal in terms of its environmental impact?

If so, that's news to me.

Speculation here, but maybe it's because while natural gas burns "cleaner" (still produces CO2 but perhaps less than coal for the same amount of energy produced), leakage can and will render any "gains" to be moot, because methane itself is a GHG with greater impact on the environment than CO2 (supposedly traps 28 times more heat than CO2 does for the same concentration).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Speculation here, but maybe it's because while natural gas burns "cleaner" (still produces CO2 but perhaps less than coal for the same amount of energy produced), leakage can and will render any "gains" to be moot, because methane itself is a GHG with greater impact on the environment than CO2 (supposedly traps 28 times more heat than CO2 does for the same concentration).

That's a logical guess, but leakage is minimal. Leaking in transmission or storage means leaking money, they take that seriously. Certainly not enough to make up the difference in carbon emissions from buring (3x the carbon per unit of energy in coal vs natural gas). 

I interpreted her to mean the extraction process. Hydraulic fracturing (fracking) is very energy and water intensive and has, in a few instances, poisoned the surrounding water table (though no instances of water table poisoning in BC, our gas fields are generally far below the water table).

I think it would be fair to say the worst natural gas extraction and use practices would lead to worse environmental outcomes than the best coal extraction and use practices. But it's pretty hard to compare CO2 and fine particle emissions to water polution. 

Edited by MattJVD
  • Thanks 1
  • MillerTime 1

Rustad looked dead, wooden.  He had hard times answering questions.

People say Eby was wrong in blaming Rustad for the past but in the same breath Eby is technically free as well as he's only been there 2 years as leader of the party.

I don't think rustad did himself any favours at all in this debate 

but I also don't know that it swayed many people either way

• ThereItIs 1